Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
A7MED
Mar 4, 2009

by Ozma
I've been on Paleo for a while now and I can only say that I love it. Not only do I feel great most of the time but my physical performance has increased dramatically. I'm not really a great cook but I try, and I'm sure I can't get a lot of good ideas on how to improve some of those recipes.

For those of you not familiar with Paleo here is a list of foods I eat and foods that I avoid:

http://altmed.creighton.edu/Paleodiet/Foodlist.html

Also I'm relatively new to cooking so I take most of the recipes from this web site:

http://www.paleoplan.com/recipes/

Anyways today I made a Paleo Pizza as I really like pizza and haven't had one in ages.

The ingredients:
3 tsp olive oil, divided
1 cup almond flour - I just ground up some almonds in the food processor
3 Tbs cashew butter - (Same as above just grounded the cashews till I got a butter like consistency)
1/3 cup egg whites
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1 chopped red pepper
1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 large Italian sausage, cut in 1/2" slices
1/2 cup marinara sauce
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp fennel seed

Instructions

1. Mix almond flour, cashew butter, and egg whites in a small bowl. This makes the dough.

2. Cover a pizza baking sheet with 2 tsp of olive oil, then spread the "dough" mixture over it, making a 1/4" thick crust. Preheat the oven to 250 F.

*Toppings (You can really use anything you want, but I just followed the web recipe for my first time.)

2. In a skillet, add the remaining olive oil and the sliced sausage. Once browned remove from skillet and place in small bowl.

3. Add the garlic, onions, and red pepper to the skillet. Sauté the veggies shortly. You do not want them to be too soft.

4. Cover the dough with the marinara sauce, then add the meat and all the vegetables except the tomatoes. Add the oregano and fennel seed, then bake for 30 minutes. ( I think maybe next time 25mins might be enough)

4. Remove from oven, add the halved tomatoes.

Behold the Paleo Pizza (Not much for presentations)

Easily one of my favorite dishes from now on, it actually tasted really good, I recommend you try it even if you didn't follow the Paleo diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maverix0r
Apr 16, 2005

Legend of the West
If you are going to imitate cavemen for absolutely no reason, what is the point in going through all the song and dance to try and recreate civilization (pizza) according to caveman rules?

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
What is your favorite brand of marinara sauce? Ragu or tonys?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Foods You Should Avoid

Dairy Foods

All processed foods made with any dairy products

Butter

Cheese

Cream

Dairy spreads

Frozen yogurt

Ice cream

Ice milk

Low-fat milk

Nonfat dairy creamer

Powdered milk

Skim milk

Whole milk

Yogurt

Cereal Grains

Barley (barley soup, barley bread, and all processed foods made with barley)

Corn (corn on the cob, corn tortillas, corn chips, corn starch, corn syrup)

Millet

Oats (steel-cut oats, rolled oats, and all processed foods made with oats)

Rice (brown rice, white rice, top ramen, rice noodles, bas mati rice, rice cakes, Rice flour (all processed foods made with rice)

Rye (rye bread, rye crackers, and all processed foods made with rye)

Sorghum

Wheat (bread, rolls, muffins, noodles, crackers, cookies, cake, doughnuts, pancakes, waffles, pasta, spaghetti, lasagna, wheat tortillas, pizza, pita bread, flat bread, and all processed foods made with wheat or wheat flour)

Wild rice

Cereal Grainlike Seeds

Amaranth

Buckwheat

Quinoa

Legumes

All beans (adzuki beans, black beans, broad beans, fava beans, field beans, garbanzo beans, horse beans, kidney beans, lima beans, mung beans, navy beans, pinto beans, red beans, string beans, white beans)

Black-eyed peas

Chickpeas

Lentils

Peas

Miso

Peanut butter

Peanuts

Snowpeas

Sugar snap peas

Soybeans and all soybean products, including tofu

Starchy Vegetables

Starchy tubers

Cassava root

Manioc

Potatoes and all potato products (French fries, potato chips, etc.)

Sweet potatoes

Tapioca pudding

Yams

Salt-Containing Foods

Almost all commercial salad dressings and condiments

Bacon

Cheese

Deli meats

Frankfurters

Ham

Hot dogs

Ketchup

Olives

Pickled foods

Pork rinds

Processed meats

Salami

Salted nuts

Salted spices

Sausages

Smoked, dried, and salted fish and meat

Virtually all canned meats and fish (unless they are unsalted or unless you soak and drain them)

Fatty Meats

Bacon

Beef ribs

Chicken and turkey legs

Chicken and turkey skin

Chicken and turkey thighs and wings•

Fatty beef roasts

Fatty cuts of beef

Fatty ground beef

Fatty pork chops

Fatty pork roasts

Lamb chops

Lamb roasts

Leg of lamb

Pork ribs

Pork sausage

T—bone steaks

Soft Drinks and Fruit Juices

All sugary soft drinks

Canned, bottled, and freshly squeezed fruit drinks (which lack the fiber of fresh fruit and have a much higher glvcemic index)

Sweets

Candy

Honey

Sugars

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
cool diet

cheezmonger
Jun 20, 2006
Nobody fucks with the Jesus.
No salt. There's no salt.

I don't understand what's 'paleo' about avoiding salt.

I guess that looks okay, if not bland.

cheezmonger
Jun 20, 2006
Actually, you broke your own diet guidelines. Italian sausage has fat in it!

edit: and devil salt

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

There were no tomatoes in use in paleolithic times :eng101:

Those are a New World food and certainly would not be in use in paleolithic cooking in Europe. However things like millet, wheat, oats would have..this thing makes no sense. Most cultures that live a (white mans term) Paleolithic lifestyle eat lots of milk, yoghurt, cheese, things on the "bad list". I'm all for eating healthy but at least don't make up your Anthropology.

If you are gonna do New World paleolithic you should eat all sorts of potatoes red meat like deer and bison and lots of corn.

Or you could eat Paleolithic Aleutian and eat nothing but blubber, red meat and fish, with your greens coming from the stomach contents of your catches! mmmMMMMMmmm

And really..Paleolithic eating was heavy on preserved foods in colder climate areas. Smoking, salting, pickling and jelly-ing.

I actually prefer Paleolithic cooking its called grilling huge chunks of meat and then eating it with my bare hands!

sorry for the shotgun post...but ew that pizza looks vile.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
I'm VERY interested in starting the Paleo Diet, could you link some peer-reviewed articles that confirm the validity of this method of sustenance? Can't wait!!!

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Your food looks bad.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Plexiwatt posted:

I'm VERY interested in starting the Paleo Diet, could you link some peer-reviewed articles that confirm the validity of this method of sustenance? Can't wait!!!

Sarcasm sensed. Go back to history school: Man lived on this diet for literally millions of years, each one reaching the ripe old age of 28.

A7MED
Mar 4, 2009

by Ozma

Maverix0r posted:

If you are going to imitate cavemen for absolutely no reason, what is the point in going through all the song and dance to try and recreate civilization (pizza) according to caveman rules?

I followed this diet at first to see if it would improve my physical performance (training, sports, etc...) and the results have been great so decided to stick with it. As for going through all the trouble to recreate pizza; its more about using high quality ingredients and playing around with them, and not necessarily living exactly like a caveman.

HClChicken posted:

What is your favorite brand of marinara sauce? Ragu or tonys?

Only use home made marinara sauce...

cheezmonger posted:

No salt. There's no salt.

I guess that looks okay, if not bland.

I don't think salt should be avoided completely, but I wouldn't go over board.

As for the list I use it as a general guide line, and usually make my own decision as to what is acceptable and what is not specifically when it comes down to "Fatty Meats" as i'm sure cavemen ate the whole animal and did not waste anything.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet

Plexiwatt posted:

I had this picture for something else, but it fits here too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

babies havin rabies posted:

Sarcasm sensed. Go back to history school: Man lived on this diet for literally millions of years, each one reaching the ripe old age of 28.
But how much of it was diet and how much of it was saber toothed tigers? Or someone cleaning their atlatl with the safety off?

Edit: I just wanted to use atlatl in a sentence today.

BerkerkLurk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 11, 2010

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Is there a good way to source extinct meats like giant ground sloth and passenger pidgeon? Should I check my ethnic butcher's?

In all seriousness I want to know how many omnivores have survived a month on the Raw Paleolithic Diet

http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 11, 2010

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Go to the arctic and check the very back of the meat freezer.

A7MED
Mar 4, 2009

by Ozma

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Those are a New World food and certainly would not be in use in paleolithic cooking in Europe. However things like millet, wheat, oats would have..this thing makes no sense. Most cultures that live a (white mans term) Paleolithic lifestyle eat lots of milk, yoghurt, cheese, things on the "bad list". I'm all for eating healthy but at least don't make up your Anthropology.

If you are gonna do New World paleolithic you should eat all sorts of potatoes red meat like deer and bison and lots of corn.

Or you could eat Paleolithic Aleutian and eat nothing but blubber, red meat and fish, with your greens coming from the stomach contents of your catches! mmmMMMMMmmm

And really..Paleolithic eating was heavy on preserved foods in colder climate areas. Smoking, salting, pickling and jelly-ing.

I actually prefer Paleolithic cooking its called grilling huge chunks of meat and then eating it with my bare hands!

sorry for the shotgun post...but ew that pizza looks vile.

Hahaha; I do agree the pizza does look vile, hey its all about learning and eventually making my food look more presentable.

Also the bulk of my diet is grilled chunks of meat, almost too much at times, but you got to love eating something with a soul.

Again that list provides just a initial guide line from where I start.

Here is a link as to how I got interested in The Paleo diet -
http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Paleo_for_Athletes_Cliff_Notes.pdf

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Did you start this thread because we were making fun of paleo diets recently?

cheezmonger posted:

Absolutely nothing, considering how much effort our ancestors put into the salt industry and trade, and the fact that we take salt for granted to the point that we reject it from our diets - even though our bodies need salt - now that it's abundant.

Serious suggestion, meat boats go over well here!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Those are a New World food and certainly would not be in use in paleolithic cooking in Europe. However things like millet, wheat, oats would have..this thing makes no sense.
You are in fact incorrect. Modern grains were developed through human interference during the Neolithic, with the advent of agriculture. Wild cereal grains were almost certainly a part of the Paleolithic diet, but those were much closer to grasses than the modern, fat-seeded varieties we eat today.

quote:

Most cultures that live a (white mans term) Paleolithic lifestyle eat lots of milk, yoghurt, cheese, things on the "bad list". I'm all for eating healthy but at least don't make up your Anthropology.
Wrong again. Pastoralists eat a lot of dairy products, but domestication of animals occurred around the same time as domestication of plants - the Neolithic. If you want to eat a Paleolithic diet, avoidance of dairy products is appropriate since I've never seen evidence of pre-domestication humans nursing on wild animals to get some milk. (Romulus and Remus don't count.)

quote:

Mostly wrong. Smoking and drying may have been used. It's unclear if salting was known before the Neolithic, when large salt mines start to appear in central Europe. For the most part, Paleolithic people lacked the capacity to store large amounts of food. Winters were spent hunting and subsisting on what little vegetation survived during that time - or living on seafood if they were lucky enough to live near a coastline.

A7MED posted:

As for the list I use it as a general guide line, and usually make my own decision as to what is acceptable and what is not specifically when it comes down to "Fatty Meats" as i'm sure cavemen ate the whole animal and did not waste anything.
So basically you're restricting your diet in a manner that has no scientific or culinary justification just because you can. Well, good for you. I fail to see what this has to do with Paleolithic human behavior, though.

I'd love to address Gourd of Taste's list of "foods to avoid" (edit: and/or maybe the pdf in the post above), but I'm about to go to a meeting. Maybe I'll do so later if there's interest.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A guy a few cubes down from me has been on this diet for a few weeks, and he hasn't died yet...

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My question is, were you currently on any other diet in an effort to "improve your performance?" (Good luck in Vancouver, by the way) If so, how much more effective is this diet than the previous one (say, one you would find over in W&W stressing 40/40/20 etc.) Or were you just eating whatever the heck you wanted, and now that you have made an attempt to follow a diet, you have noticed an improvement.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

osukeith161 posted:

now that you have made an attempt to follow a diet, you have noticed an improvement.

This is the reason that most people lose weight on fad diets, not eating poo poo all the time. Portion control. Fred Flintstone's baby back mammoth ribs are out of the question, mister.

A7MED
Mar 4, 2009

by Ozma
A few years back, I followed a simple diet of mainly sticking to clean foods, then as the volume of training increased I switched to the Zone Diet (about two years ago) to have more control over what I'm eating (http://www.zonediet.com/)and I have seen improvements on it, but then I started reading up on Paleo and decided to try it for a month, felt good and felt strong while training and therefore stuck to it (About a year ago). After a few months I compared my performance results and found clear improvements over broader domains.

So at the moment I sort of Follow Paleo while still utilizing some of the measurement aspect of Zone.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Most of those domesticated plants and animals weren't around back then, and many of the food items that were probably around back then and aggressively foraged/hunted are extinct now.

What a goofy, gimmicky, technically impossible diet.

Here, try eating a diet consisting mostly of acorn meal and porridge with a rare (heh, pun) serving of meat and you'll probably be a hell of a lot closer.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

A7MED posted:

I switched to the Zone Diet (about two years ago) to have more control over what I'm eating

You always have 100% control over what you're eating.

Unless you're the fat dude in Se7en.

A7MED
Mar 4, 2009

by Ozma
The point here isn't to become a caveman; but to eat lean meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds; How can that be impossible?

However trying to imitate and live a 100% Paleo life style would be very difficult, goofy and gimmicky which probably won't result in achieving higher levels of fitness.

TheLizard posted:

You always have 100% control over what you're eating.

Unless you're the fat dude in Se7en.

I'm the fat dude from Se7en

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

A7MED posted:

The point here isn't to become a caveman; but to eat lean meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds; How can that be impossible?

I get the overall idea of paleo - eating an unprocessed diet. Wild lean meat cooked on fire, forage-able nuts, fruits and vegetables, and few grains in their basic form. It does seem overly reactionary, though, when you call it a paleo diet and not common sense eating.

cheezmonger
Jun 20, 2006
Yes but avoiding salt isn't healthy. Salt in moderation is.

Yogurt is good for you. So are legumes. A lot of the poo poo they limit isn't bad for you. It'd be more paleo if you didn't eat like a loving 21st century American (that whole idea of portion control that's already been mentioned).

If you want a pizza, have a pizza. Not a digiorno's, but a bona fide pizza, not made with preservatives and poo poo but with fresh, wholesome ingredients. And don't do it everyday. You'll be happier in the long run.

Do you take a multivitamin? It seems like you would need to.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

A7MED posted:

I followed this diet at first to see if it would improve my physical performance (training, sports, etc...) and the results have been great so decided to stick with it. As for going through all the trouble to recreate pizza; its more about using high quality ingredients and playing around with them, and not necessarily living exactly like a caveman.

I suspect the benefits of this diet, like many others, mostly come from increasing fiber while avoiding processed foods, refined sugars and making you conscious of your salt intake.

A7MED
Mar 4, 2009

by Ozma

cheezmonger posted:

Yes but avoiding salt isn't healthy. Salt in moderation is.

Yogurt is good for you. So are legumes. A lot of the poo poo they limit isn't bad for you. It'd be more paleo if you didn't eat like a loving 21st century American (that whole idea of portion control that's already been mentioned).

If you want a pizza, have a pizza. Not a digiorno's, but a bona fide pizza, not made with preservatives and poo poo but with fresh, wholesome ingredients. And don't do it everyday. You'll be happier in the long run.

Do you take a multivitamin? It seems like you would need to.

I generally felt a bit sluggish during training, while I wasn't restricting yogurt and legumes.

As for pizza I do usually have a proper pizza during my cheat days, but I wanted to try something different and explore odd recipes; plus I'm new to cooking and would really like to get better at it.

I don't take a multivitamin, as I do eat a huge portion of veggies and fruits with all my meals, but I do take Whey Protein after work outs, and ZMA (Zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6) before going to bed.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Why can you have marrow but not fat on meat?

cheezmonger
Jun 20, 2006

A7MED posted:

I generally felt a bit sluggish during training, while I wasn't restricting yogurt and legumes.

As for pizza I do usually have a proper pizza during my cheat days, but I wanted to try something different and explore odd recipes; plus I'm new to cooking and would really like to get better at it.

I don't take a multivitamin, as I do eat a huge portion of veggies and fruits with all my meals, but I do take Whey Protein after work outs, and ZMA (Zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6) before going to bed.

What are you training for that you're so sensitive?

I asked about the multivitamin because I'd imagine a lot of people on this diet skimp on the greens (which would be bad for calcium) and emphasize the meat.

Why are you choosing this specifically over just maintaining a whole food, non-processed, portion controlled diet? I mean, as a cook, I'm accidentally healthy because I cook 95% of what I eat, making it hard for me to eat a lot of junk. I imagine you're going to respond with something about low gluten and high-protein for your 'training,' but I'm still curious.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've been eating paleo for a few months, it's pretty cool.

Most weeks I break diet at least one day though and have nachos and beer with friends or something. Nobody's perfect!

Also I don't gently caress around with this pseudo pizza poo poo, all of my meals consist of: Recognizable piece of meat or ground meat + recognizable collection of raw and cooked vegetables.

I also eat many eggs.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 12, 2010

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

bartolimu posted:

FACTS!

Hey! I can pull facts out of my rear end as well as the author of Teh Paleolithic Diet can. Don't start contaminating this tread with non-sleep deprived actually referenced book larning, it would only confuse him.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 12, 2010

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

A7MED posted:

I'm the fat dude from Se7en

I meant that literally, not metaphorically.

Neone
Apr 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
My wife and I eat a raw carnivorous diet (raw paleo) and have for over a year now. It saved her life and you just feel too awesome to ever really go back unless you like feeling bloated and constipated and getting sick.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Neone posted:

My wife and I eat a raw carnivorous diet (raw paleo) and have for over a year now. It saved her life and you just feel too awesome to ever really go back unless you like feeling bloated and constipated and getting sick.

Please explain in detail what happened in the boldy area there.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(
where's the rotting meat because I don't see it in your list and it sure was important to paleo men back before tool building.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Gourd of Taste posted:

Foods You Should Avoid:

Almost everything

I can't really fathom how you'd do this if you ever left your house and had to eat out somewhere (an emergency or a trip, for instance). Someone please tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I can't really fathom how you'd do this if you ever left your house and had to eat out somewhere (an emergency or a trip, for instance). Someone please tell me.

I suppose you'd go, "Eh, gently caress it, I'm supposed to be on a diet but I'll just cheat this one time."