Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

LLSix posted:

I am planning on getting married to an immigrant here on the practical training part of her F1 visa. She graduated with her PhD ~7 months ago. From reading the last 50 odd pages of the thread, I know that I should get a prenup and hire an immigration lawyer to help with getting my future wife a greencard once we're married. Which lawyer should I talk to first? Is having a prenup likely to make getting her a greencard harder? I live on the Kansas side of Kansas City.

One of my uncles was an idiot and lost almost everything he owned in a divorce. Even if I am an idiot; I would prefer not to be the same kind of an idiot. Is a prenup a good way to avoid losing my life savings in a divorce? If not, is there a legal instrument/type of lawyer I should talk to that is a good way of doing that? Neither of us has kids.

It would be an enormous help if someone could recommend a lawyer in the area to talk to. I'm feeling kind of lost.

IANAL but I work in immigration. Getting a prenup shouldn't cause any issues with your fiancee getting her green card. As to who to speak to first, I would suggest the immigration attorney. There are aspects of the immigration process that might influence what you put into the prenup, and it seems easier to find those out before you draft it then have your immigration attorney tell you there are issues with your completed prenup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

nm posted:

If your doctor prescribes it you should be fine. Your doctor may not.
Are we talking like tons here or something?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Prescriptions come with a quantity. If you have an Rx for 30 Vicodin and you get caught with 300 Vicodin you're going to have some explaining to do.

My question is if I have x different prescriptions for a certain drug that produce x bottles of the drug all with my name on them, is there a point where x goes over a legal limit even if all of the drugs are prescribed to me?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
There is a nebulous point where the continued possession of drugs you've been prescribed and have refilled but have never used looks more like an intent to distribute them than to use them.
Hypothetically, what drug and what state?

VVVVV
At least it's not part of the oxy... family - but Adderal (amphetamine) is a Schedule II drug and is probably next on the list of drugs you don't want to have a bunch of 'left over.'
There isn't a specific amount that tips saved back adderall into intent to distribute territory. There are dozens of factors that would go into your risk of getting arrested and additional ones that would factor into your risk of losing the case at trial.

The safest bet is to return/destroy the ones you're not using.
The next safest is to make sure they never leave your medicine cabinet.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 20, 2014

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

joat mon posted:

There is a nebulous point where the continued possession of drugs you've been prescribed and have refilled but have never used looks more like an intent to distribute them than to use them.

Adderall and Florida. Hypothetically they aren't never used, they just aren't being used at the rate they are being refilled.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

IratelyBlank posted:

Adderall and Florida. Hypothetically they aren't never used, they just aren't being used at the rate they are being refilled.

This is a somewhat separate issue, but if they are not being used at the rate they are being refilled, someone (patient or prescriber) is not doing what they are supposed to do. Either take your medicine as prescribed, address the issue with your doctor that is preventing you from doing that, or quit refilling it and stockpiling adderall.

What you are doing is the first step to what practically all of Florida has been doing for a long time, which has caused a lot of doctors and pharmacists to lose their licenses, and a lot of pharmacies to be able to dispense amoxicillin and not much else.

You may not know this, but that drug keeps having supply issues. I've had to send so many people 50 miles out of their way just to get their medicine. So if you're not concerned about the potential liability of having the DEA take a long, hard look at your doctor's prescribing habits among other things, maybe the fact that people can't get their hands on something they ARE using will make you quit doing that.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Thanatosian posted:

There are sometimes crazy attorneys, and this doesn't happen.

But trials are expensive, yo, and large portions of those expenses (juries, experts, discovery) fall on the parties, so it's usually in their best interests to settle. Especially given that trials are such crap shoots.

Washington has mandatory arbitration for most smaller cases. It's not as effective as might be nice, because the arbitrators are mostly plaintiffs' attorneys, and tend to find heavily in the plaintiffs' favor. Which actually kind of sucks for the plaintiffs, too, because defense attorneys have no problem de novoing a case where they're virtually guaranteed to beat the arbitration damages at trial.

how are parties responsible for the cost of juries?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

how are parties responsible for the cost of juries?
Maybe that's a Washington-only thing, but here the courts charge the parties in a civil case "jury fees" to cover the jury costs. I don't know if it's a full or only partial offset, but given how much they usually are, I suspect full.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Thanatosian posted:

Maybe that's a Washington-only thing, but here the courts charge the parties in a civil case "jury fees" to cover the jury costs. I don't know if it's a full or only partial offset, but given how much they usually are, I suspect full.

Washington is weird.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

ActusRhesus posted:

Washington is weird.

Naw, it makes sense. If you make justice expensive, you ensure only "the right kind of people" will get justice.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

joat mon posted:

VVVVV
At least it's not part of the oxy... family - but Adderal (amphetamine) is a Schedule II drug and is probably next on the list of drugs you don't want to have a bunch of 'left over.'
There isn't a specific amount that tips saved back adderall into intent to distribute territory. There are dozens of factors that would go into your risk of getting arrested and additional ones that would factor into your risk of losing the case at trial.

The safest bet is to return/destroy the ones you're not using.
The next safest is to make sure they never leave your medicine cabinet.

Kinda curious about this as I've only really run into it from the prescriber's POV. Are charges pressed against patients who doc shop and obtain several prescriptions for the same complaint, or just if they're caught with an amount grossly in excess of what could be considered appropriate for personal use? I recognize this may vary widely state to state.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

LLSix posted:

I am planning on getting married to an immigrant here on the practical training part of her F1 visa. She graduated with her PhD ~7 months ago. From reading the last 50 odd pages of the thread, I know that I should get a prenup and hire an immigration lawyer to help with getting my future wife a greencard once we're married. Which lawyer should I talk to first? Is having a prenup likely to make getting her a greencard harder? I live on the Kansas side of Kansas City.

One of my uncles was an idiot and lost almost everything he owned in a divorce. Even if I am an idiot; I would prefer not to be the same kind of an idiot. Is a prenup a good way to avoid losing my life savings in a divorce? If not, is there a legal instrument/type of lawyer I should talk to that is a good way of doing that? Neither of us has kids.

It would be an enormous help if someone could recommend a lawyer in the area to talk to. I'm feeling kind of lost.

If you have enough money to make a prenup worthwhile, you need not one lawyer, but two—your fiancee will need her own lawyer to give her independent advice about the agreement, or else the prenup can be challenged.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IratelyBlank posted:

My question is if I have x different prescriptions for a certain drug that produce x bottles of the drug all with my name on them, is there a point where x goes over a legal limit even if all of the drugs are prescribed to me?
If you ever need to explain why you have 20 bottles of Adderal under your sink you will be in trouble whether they all have your name on them or not.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

1) Prenup is good, get it from a family law attorney near you, and

2) no, it should not make her getting a green card more difficult.

pm me and I'll find you some names.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
One weird trick to become a drug dealer totally legally!!!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Well technically they're all prescribed to me and I just hang onto all this in case I might need it (to sell)

E: also I asked the guy three times if he was a cop and he said no so that's entrapment, your honor

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NancyPants posted:

Well technically they're all prescribed to me and I just hang onto all this in case I might need it (to sell)

E: also I asked the guy three times if he was a cop and he said no so that's entrapment, your honor

I also was able to take the cops badge before he arrested me. That means I get to be the cop, right your honor?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I fail to recognize your authority over me, your honor.

*gets tazed*

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Verdugo posted:

I also was able to take the cops badge before he arrested me. That means I get to be the cop, right your honor?

Yes. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. If you get the judge's robe, you can be judge too.

Man this law stuff is easy, I don't know why you lawyer types change so much

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

NancyPants posted:

Man this law stuff is easy, I don't know why you lawyer types change so much

I don't think you've seen how fast I can get a judge's robes off.

Ratatozsk posted:

Kinda curious about this as I've only really run into it from the prescriber's POV. Are charges pressed against patients who doc shop and obtain several prescriptions for the same complaint, or just if they're caught with an amount grossly in excess of what could be considered appropriate for personal use? I recognize this may vary widely state to state.

Usually the latter. Also, aren't most of the actions against prescribers taken/initiated by their licensing authorities?

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

NancyPants posted:

Your health insurance probably doesn't like this and could potentially sue your or kick you off. If you're on any kind of government insurance you could be in bigger trouble.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

joat mon posted:

Usually the latter. Also, aren't most of the actions against prescribers taken/initiated by their licensing authorities?

I think so, but I'm still in school so I haven't had the chance to directly experience this myself.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Your health insurance probably doesn't like this and could potentially sue your or kick you off. If you're on any kind of government insurance you could be in bigger trouble.

You missed something in this conversation, friend.

E: vvv this is true, fair enough

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 21, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NancyPants posted:

You missed something in this conversation, friend.

Insurance companies notably have no sense of humor, so he's got a point.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Verdugo posted:

no no no! You need to take the cop's credential. The cop's badge thing is just a myth. IratelyBlank actually wants a DEA credential and a bunch of evidence bags. Then he can deal and go to all those posh DEA parties.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

patentmagus posted:

no no no! You need to take the cop's credential. The cop's badge thing is just a myth. IratelyBlank actually wants a DEA credential and a bunch of evidence bags. Then he can deal and go to all those posh DEA parties.
That's an awesome idea.

Just keep your stash in evidence baggies and keep a DEA windbreaker handy. If the cops ever bust in toss that sucker on and just be like "We got this covered boys." This works no matter how fuckin' skeevy you look or how dumb you act because the DEA are a bunch of dumb skeevy motherfuckers so it will only add to the ruse.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
I have a complicated question regarding employment and contract law, and I am fully aware they differ nation to nation, state to state and province to province (I am a resident of B.C., Canada). I am hoping someone with good general knowledge can advise me if I have the right to seek basic severance pay. I worked contract for a local company (piecework) and I am basically wondering if that entitles me to the same rights as a wage or salary employee. My contract was terminated abruptly last Friday for a rationale that is not in the employee contract or training manuals. So I am wondering if, as a contracted piece worker, the employment standards act covers me, because if it does, I can ask for money. They already hosed up by not giving me my outstanding pay within 48 hours.

I think it does, but I don't want to seek remuneration (and look like an idiot) if it doesn't. In other words, does signing a contract and getting paid piecework mean I am a different definition of employee as discussed in the regulations. It seems straightforward, as in i am entitled to the same rights and grievances as a salaried employee, but I have never done contract work before so I don't want to waste my time. But they owe me two weeks pay if I can file this grievance (or better yet, explain why I can, and have them rescind and just give me the money), which would be well worth the effort.

FWIW, here is the regulations regarding termination

Provincial labor act

And I can prove I was terminated without Just Cause (this was cited as the reason for termination but the grounds had nothing to do with standards I was contractually upheld to, or anything indicated in training, basically I finished my work faster than anyone else by a fair margin, but always above expectations, and this drove my supervisor crazy).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ask a lawyer for an initial consult.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Huggybear posted:

I have a complicated question regarding employment and contract law, and I am fully aware they differ nation to nation, state to state and province to province (I am a resident of B.C., Canada). I am hoping someone with good general knowledge can advise me if I have the right to seek basic severance pay. I worked contract for a local company (piecework) and I am basically wondering if that entitles me to the same rights as a wage or salary employee. My contract was terminated abruptly last Friday for a rationale that is not in the employee contract or training manuals. So I am wondering if, as a contracted piece worker, the employment standards act covers me, because if it does, I can ask for money. They already hosed up by not giving me my outstanding pay within 48 hours.

I think it does, but I don't want to seek remuneration (and look like an idiot) if it doesn't. In other words, does signing a contract and getting paid piecework mean I am a different definition of employee as discussed in the regulations. It seems straightforward, as in i am entitled to the same rights and grievances as a salaried employee, but I have never done contract work before so I don't want to waste my time. But they owe me two weeks pay if I can file this grievance (or better yet, explain why I can, and have them rescind and just give me the money), which would be well worth the effort.

FWIW, here is the regulations regarding termination

Provincial labor act

And I can prove I was terminated without Just Cause (this was cited as the reason for termination but the grounds had nothing to do with standards I was contractually upheld to, or anything indicated in training, basically I finished my work faster than anyone else by a fair margin, but always above expectations, and this drove my supervisor crazy).

Call the employment standards branch. They have people there who can answer questions like this for free.

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/information.htm

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Seldom Posts posted:

Call the employment standards branch. They have people there who can answer questions like this for free.

http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/information.htm

wow, duh thanks. Assumed with all the on-line/self-guided stuff they didn't have a call center. I called and I was correct, employment standards legally apply unless I am a true contractor, i.e. self-employed, which I was not.

e: also I only need a lawyer to sue for wrongful dismissal, I am just looking for severance but I need to file a complaint with the labor board to get that. I don't think I want to sue for a job that paid on average about $1000/month; it was just one line of income.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 24, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Huggybear posted:

wow, duh thanks. Assumed with all the on-line/self-guided stuff they didn't have a call center. I called and I was correct, employment standards legally apply unless I am a true contractor, i.e. self-employed, which I was not.

"Call someone else." "OK."

Another Legal Questions Thread Success Story!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

"Call someone else." "OK."

Another Legal Questions Thread Success Story!

I miss the heady days when people posted here for advice and we mocked them when they refused to see an attorney.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I miss the heady days when people posted here for advice and we mocked them when they refused to see an attorney.

I can make a sock account and ask stupid family questions if it would help you remember the glory days...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
http://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2qbb61/fl_is_it_legal_to_start_a_blooddonation_truck_and/

quote:

[FL] Is it legal to start a blood-donation truck, and then sell the donated blood to places that buy blood

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Of course it's in Florida.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thanatosian posted:

Of course it's in Florida.

I am really hoping that the answer is "Of course; it's in Florida."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This guy's response was basically my exact reaction when I read it:

quote:

It wouldn't entirely shock me if this was legal in Florida.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
How many organs do I need to have transplanted before I become a different person , legally? You can do face, cornea, trachea esophagus, lung, heart, small intestine, kidney, liver and uterus at least.

Ed: bone marrow.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Syncopated posted:

How many organs do I need to have transplanted before I become a different person , legally? You can do face, cornea, trachea esophagus, lung, heart, small intestine, kidney, liver and uterus at least.

Ed: bone marrow.

Depends on whether any of those organs were previously belonging to a freeman, and whether the transplant occurred in international waters.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Bad Munki posted:

Depends on whether any of those organs were previously belonging to a freeman, and whether the transplant occurred in international waters.

And you need a tumblr account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

xxEightxx posted:

And you need a tumblr account.

What if some significant percentage of your organs were previously in a host with a tumblr account? Do you generally inherit the account along with the organs?

e: is it possible to be partially triggered based on an organ's previous owner's triggers