Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

$175 is not a lot of money. The filing fee for any lawsuit anywhere is likely more than that. Forget it and move on. The rest of the responses are law-school hypothetical nonsense.

The lesson I got out of stories of contracting like this is that you need to charge more so people take your seriously.

I mean, $175 is like an hour of billed work. More like 30 minutes for you lawyer types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Because the court doesn't know that you never got notice.

How hard is it to get out of the 'failure to appear' charge (contempt of court?) when claiming improper service?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gvibes posted:

In my experience with fledgling "idea" companies, no one is going to give you a dime before you have a patent application on file.

Hell, its hard enough to get people to give you money when you have a patent, customers and a product. Though, my stuff is pretty niche...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xinlum posted:

What do you mean?

The odds are incredibly low, they usually only take cases to make a point because they resources are so thin.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Incredulous Red posted:

How did she register the van in her name if the bill of sale didn't have her name on it?

One would assume that her name is on the title. Or is that assuming way too much ( sounds like it is ).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I note that you didn't say whether you actually were speeding.

Making him one of the few people in this thread smart enough to not implicate themselves on a public forum!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dorkopotamis posted:

Alright, so I'm a student at a certain Vermont college and I host a talkshow that interviews faculty members. I brought a bottle of iced tea, actually filled to the brim with whiskey, and left it in the green room for my guests, two professors, to drink. I did not open the bottle when I arrived. I opened it in my room to pour whiskey into it. Cameras saw me put it down in the green room, however.

This isn't legal advice, this is dealing with university bureaucracy advice.

I am under the impression that you brought that there for those two faculty members, yes? They wanted it? The next question is crucial: Is either faculty member tenured? If so, you have to make them go to bat for you. It should make for a very entertaining hearing, just keep your mouth shut and let the boozing tenured professors tell the kangaroo court to go to hell.

EDIT: This will work if they're not tenured too, but they'll definitely have to go through proper channels instead of being able to show up and tell the kangaroo court its out of order and should gently caress off.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What The Fucktrain posted:

I apologize if this is too specific for this thread, but what sort of laws or legal precedents and such are there for the validity of wills if the person writing them are under the influence of anti-psychotics (Zyprexa, which is from what I can gather rather controversial and strong, especially since in this case the person did not exhibit signs of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.) Obviously I'm not a lawyer myself but I know in a will you must be of sound mind and body and I don't think of someone on fairly strong anti-psychotics as of sound mind.

Zyprexa is controversial for causing obesity and diabetes, not for screwing with your mind. Its actually not a particularly powerful atypical, so it gets used for a lot of off label stuff, especially anxiety. You're thinking of typical antipsychotics like haldol or thorazine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dracon Wolf posted:

My brother told me today he got fired from work. He hurt his leg about two weeks ago where he can't walk temporarily. He's had doctors notes and everything saying he is unable to go to work. Today his boss told him that he's going to have to fire him since he needs someone "able to work". Now to me this doesn't seem right.

I told him to call a lawyer to get advice already but I was just curious, can you be fired even if you have doctors notes? Shouldn't you at least be able to go on disability or at the very least take a medical leave? It just doesn't seem like they can fire you over that. I'm not asking you guys for him, just for my own information. Seems pretty messed up they can do that, even with a doctor's letter.

Not a lawyer, but the massive question here is: Was he hurt at work?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SWATJester posted:

If I were advising him, I'd probably suggest he start formally talking to Pontiac about getting reimbursed if that's what he wants, or suing them.

Ah, the division that no longer exists of a company in chapter 11 protection? Does that change anything?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JudicialRestraints posted:

This speaks to a violation of 42 USC 1983 for 1st and 4th Amendment reasons. I.e. you can sue for retaliation and unreasonable search and seizure.

Winning against a police department is almost impossible for serious crimes, you will not win this case unless a neutral third party videotaped it and the video tape is incriminating.

Murica.

Any way of preventing this from happening other than being richer and whiter?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cortel posted:

Hah, thanks for all the replies. She pretty much refuses to go to a doctor (actually she entirely refuses) for some stupid reason.

Tell her she is going to lose her hand.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Probably put on too loosely. Unless the oil filter is mounted very high up on the MZR motor, which I don't think it is, there's no way you could have gotten far from the shop without an oil filter on and not immediately gotten smoke or a seized engine.

I bet they didn't remove the gasket from the previous oil filter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SWATJester posted:

The relative rarity of being prosecuted with a specific intent crime for something so minor and with such obviously unprovable intent would indicate to me that something else is going on. Typically an officer would just say "OK, well we'll take a statement and it's between you two". What did he do to piss the officer off enough that he not only gave him a written arrest, but the prosecutor actually is going through with it?

Seems like there's something more to the story. Maybe someone was disrespectful to the officer on scene, maybe there is prior history between the parties, I don't know.

Second post above yours, until the guy realizes that he should remove it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

The short answer is that you aren't the primary caregiver of the children. Who has to spend more money on a larger house because you have kids? Who pays for the kids' health insurance? If they get sick, who would take time off of work to care for them? Who buys new clothes when they outgrow them? In addition to that, divorce court is normally biased in favor of the woman. Unless you are willing to fight for full custody of the children (a battle you are unlikely to win) you'll end up paying child support. If you want you can cut back on what you voluntarily give to your kids, you don't have to provide free daycare, but the fact that you do so doesn't matter much to the courts.

Could he charge $800/month or whatever the child support payments are for daycare? (this would be a bargain in any major city, yes?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SWATJester posted:

Is there some way I can say "yeah, I abandoned it at my friend's place and I have no idea where it is?"

Did you talk to the DMV? Kentucky actually has a form that says more or less that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hypocrite lecteur posted:

What loving crazy law of the jungle state do you live in what on earth

Yeah, this is the kind of tort reform people should be talking about.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cruseydr posted:

You weren't forced to enter into a contract with this person.

Not very familiar with eastern cultures are you?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nm posted:

My clients file complaints all the time and never had a bad thing happen.

Wouldn't actually having a lawyer dissuade them a little bit?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Is this where the experts on posting law are?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3928980&pagenumber=1069&perpage=40#post506307210

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That have no interest in the will.

My uncle signed as a witness for my grandfather’s online form will and my mom said her brother clearly hadn’t read any mystery novels.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Outrail posted:

Another angle is that home buyers aren't usually repeat customers, so the incentive to keep your clients happy isn't as strong as other industries.

E: I assume, I've never bought a house because *gestures at everything*

When you are looking for a house you often will ask people at work or family members in your area who they used for a real estate agent and if they're good or not.

euphronius posted:

The worst thing selling agents do is make it seem like they are also representing the buyers

Do all states not have to have you sign dual agency documents really early in the process if you're doing that? Like, when you go to an open house and say you're not currently working with an agent early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Volmarias posted:

What's the procedure for insurance against fraud?

Let's say some con artist forges a transfer on a deed, then once that's settled turns around and sells the property to some third party. The original owners come back to find strangers in their home, and are understandably pissed.

The title company did their due diligence, legally it was clear as far as they could tell. The con artist is nowhere to be found, having closed the account that the sale money went to and purchased a one way ticket to Turkmenistan.

Who takes it on the chin here?

Isn't that what the various forms of title insurance are for?