Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

-Always have two things to carry in your hands so you don't have to shake your client's hand;

quote:

-If you have to serve a subpoena in a bad neighborhood, go early in the morning, wear a tie, and drive an American car. Everyone will assume that you are a police detective.

These are fantastic, you have made me a better person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RealKyleH posted:

Youtube money? You also can't see my face, its just my car.

You should get rid of that, or at the least not post it on the internet.

But if you are going to post it on the internet, blank out your license plate. Also blank out any street signs or geographic indicators.

If you are planning to make money off of the video, you should understand that theoretically someone could follow the money trail back to you.

But it's a stupid idea to post it on the internet.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tostito posted:

Ok I found out the address of the court. At the top of the letter they wrote an "index number" along with a 4/9/10 date, both of which are written in ink. Is the index number the same thing as a case number? Besides that written date, there is no other mention of any other date that would suggest a court date.

Is your court one of these:

quote:

Albany City Court
Amsterdam City Court
Auburn City Court
Bronx County Civil Court
Buffalo City Court
Canandaigua City Court
Cohoes City Court
Corning City Court
Cortland City Court
Elmira City Court
Fulton City Court
Geneva City Court
Glen Cove City Court
Glens Falls City Court
Gloversville City Court
Hornell City Court
Ithaca City Court
Johnstown City Court
Kings County Civil Court
Kingston City Court
Little Falls City Court
Lockport City Court
Long Beach City Court
Mechanicville City Court
New York County Civil Court
Ogdensburg City Court
Oneida City Court
Oneonta City Court
Oswego City Court
Plattsburgh City Court
Port Jervis City Court
Poughkeepsie City Court
Queens County Civil Court
Richmond County Civil Court
Rome City Court
Rye City Court
Saratoga Springs City Court
Schenectady City Court
Sherrill City Court
Troy City Court
Utica City Court
Yonkers City Court

IF YES, go here and search for your case. You can search by your last name, by attorney, or by index numbers. (You have to fill out a CAPTCHA form to prove you are a real human and not a spam bot.)

If your court is not listed above, go here and click on your court, then look up the phone number. Call the court, ask for the clerk's office for civil lawsuits, and then tell them the index number, your last name, and see if the case is listed at the court.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mulloy posted:

Hopefully this is an easy/simple question: I literally have no idea who to talk to, lawyer wise, in Utah. I can find plenty of names in the yellow pages but I'm not specifically sure what to look for. Long story short my wife co-signed for a car a few years back, the owner defaulted, and since the collections folks can't reach the original owner and I answer my phone, they want me to pay. Obviously it was a bad move to co-sign for the car, but what I'm trying to find is someone in Utah/Salt Lake that can answer some questions on the subject, but I'm not sure who to start with.

I've seen mention of debt consolidation and consumer attorneys and such, but I have no way of evaluating which type of lawyer to look for or how to tell them apart, and I'm not too excited about randomly giving my phone number to every WE CAN FIND A LAWYER FOR YOU web site that shows up on google.

Any suggestions on how to go about finding someone?

Ask friends and family for the names of any good lawyers that they have worked with. Then call those lawyers and ask for the names of consumer rights attorneys, or whatever the practice area is called in Utah. That is usually the best way to find a good referral.

Other than that, you can go on martindale.com and look up attorneys in your area. You should select an attorney / firm that has a long pedigree of practice in your practice area.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lenins Potato posted:

Is driving through a parking lot in a "high crime and drug area" a reasonable cause for a cop to pull you over?

What time of day is it?
What condition is the car in? (Any lights out?)
What sort of driving are we talking about? Fast driving? Really slow driving? Driving that involves a little swerving? Cutting across parking spaces?
Are the headlights on?

The standard that must be met for Terry stops and the standard for actual arrests are both very fact dependent.

...and the answer is almost always "Yes, the cop was allowed to pull you over."

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lenins Potato posted:

Noon. No broken equipment, clean washed car. Probably 10-15 mph going through the parking lot to the exit. The entrance is one way. No cutting through spaces. No swerving.

During the stop he asked me why I was nervous. I told him because I didn't know why he pulled me over, and he gave his reason for me being in a "high crime and drug area." Checked my license and let me go and told me he didn't believe my story.

If he let you go, what's the problem?

And I would bet that his stop would hold up in court, if he had arrested you on something.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lenins Potato posted:

I was just curious, the whole stop was weird. I've been pulled over before but the reasons were always more concrete than being in a bad area.

Yeah, I don't think he could say just that in his testimony to the court, but he wouldn't. He would throw in a couple of other factors.

Also, is your skin color non-white? That's not an acceptable factor for the court, of course, but it is definitely one of the real reasons that cops pull people over in high crime areas.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PoOKiE! posted:

I've been reading case law for months...

...and you're not a lawyer so you need to be quiet in this thread, thanks. I think you've contributed quite enough of your untrained analysis and opinion.

No offense, but reading case law does not mean you know what you are talking about. I wince every time I hear a layperson say "But I read this case/statute that says _________." It's not that simple. Laypeople can be right about the law, sometimes, but it's more luck than it is anything else.

I know that sounds a little snarky, sorry. But hell, I don't give legal impressions for areas of law that I know nothing about, and I am trained to read cases, statutes, and regulations. For example, you will never see me pipe up about anything IP-related. I could go find cases if I wanted, but I don't know that area of law and I'd be bullshitting the thread. If you are a layperson, you're in an even worse position.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PoOKiE! posted:

If I gave him an uninformed opinion I read out of a fortune cookie or something, then yes PLEASE bust my balls. Otherwise, give me the benefit of the doubt that a "lay person" does not always mean "OMG DON'T LISTEN TO ME I COULDN'T POSSIBLY HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!"

I actually said

quote:

Laypeople can be right about the law, sometimes, but it's more luck than it is anything else.

So I have admitted that lay people can be correct, although rarely.

You have said

quote:

I've been reading case law for months on the issue of legal and illegal search and seizure, and I can say that it shouldn't hold up in most courts in the US, but if it did in the trial court and the defense properly brought it up in their appeal, it should be reversed on appeal.

It's right on the line because a cop could say you swerved a little over some line and that might be enough to make it stick...

Ok, here's the thing. 4th Amendment analysis, especially for determining the legality of a stop by a cop, is tricky and very fact dependent. The other legal people in here all responded by asking questions for more facts, or by pointing out that other facts would sway the analysis; we understood that the OP's question couldn't be answered as framed. You, on the other hand, offered up a conclusion and dressed it up as expertise by referencing your months of untrained case law research. This is why you need to stop. Your conclusion may or may no be correct, that's not the point. The point is that you don't know how to reach a proper legal conclusion, and in this case you jumped the gun. That's not helpful here.

entris fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 17, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ZeldaLeft posted:

I reluctantly went to the cops and guess what? PA doesn't have restraining orders unless you were related to that person. and since I don't know his address, they cant really do anything. they claim that what is happening is harassment, and all they will do is slap him on the wrist, at which point he will likely come back with more venom. cops are loving useless.

now what?

Find a friend who is an attorney, and have him/her pro bono sue the guy for civil assault or whatever, just to show him that you aren't messing around.

Or invite the guy to lunch and try to work it out, although he sounds like a child.

Also, get yourself a taser.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

I went to law school to a school that takes people that do not even have a Bachelor's Degree. Its California Bar accredited, but not ABA accredited. I have a fine job making good money and I work the regular/less than 40 hours a week. Having the cool T6/T12/T14 law degree gets you in the big firms, but creativity, being smart and careful, finding a good niche, and some hard work and sweat for awhile will make you boom as an attorney even if you went to a shiatty school. Also, I passed the california bar easily without taking BarBri or any other course. Its about working smart, not hard.

Oh, also my friend is taking the bar exam, talked to an uber-uppity Type A personality human being lawyer friend of his that went to Berkeley Law who had talked poo poo to him about my school when I was going to it. Anyways, my friend asking this human being what his chances of passing the Cali bar was without taking BarBri. He said zero. He then said "Well actually... I have this friend who did it... and he was that guy whose school you talked poo poo about when we were comparing law schools..." That made me smile.

tl;dr you will succeed if you work hard, are smart, you watch your rear end, and aren't a human being

This is more a Lawgoons Thread response, but seriously: how did you get your current "nice job"? Are you a practicing attorney, or do you have a nice non-attorney job?

And while I accept that you may be a diamond in the rough, I don't think you should be giving out career advice to aspiring lawyers. Looking at the statistics for employment in law for graduates coming out of lower tier schools (not to mention non-accredited schools), you can see that the chance of success in law is very low at this time. Furthermore, these graduates are also typically coming out of their school with massive debt, which further depresses the value of their degree.

Your tl;dr at the end is just ignorant in this economy and legal job market, because it misrepresents the tremendous risk that many law students face.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Schattenmann posted:

This is criminal law; jurisdiction is Virginia
Tooled around on Google first, didn't really see anything that helped me form a solid opinion despite 15+ years studying Matlock and Law & Order, so here I am:

Last night I was out walking in when I came upon a group of 8-10 teenagers watching two of themselves fighting. They've been doing this around the small town/Richmond suburb I live in for several years, and while I've seen the videos on YouTube, and I've seen the cops breaking them up near the library etc before, I've never seen one live. They were on a soccer field, so I sat down on the bleachers and started watching. They got freaked I was going to call the cops, but even though I assured them I love watching kids beat the snot out of each other, they didn't buy it and left to fight somewhere else.

But, when the kids brought up the cops I started wondering whether or not (1) it was illegal for two people (minors) to fight each other for fun (all other things being legal; I know it's trespassing for them to do it where they were) and (2) whether it's illegal for me to watch such a fight?
In this instance, I was about 50 yards away from the group and the fighters and I wasn't whooping and getting into it. While they were trespassing, I have rights on the property, so I'm not worried about anything extraneous, just the fighting itself. First question is just curiosity, when I've seen the cops breaking them up I've never seen them arrest any of the kids. Second question is self-preservation.

The Virginia Code: http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm I didn't have much success trying to use it but that's why you guys are the lawyers.

This isn't legal advice, but it appears that there are some possible candidates for criminal charges:

Disorderly conduct in public places, Va. Code 18.2-415, which makes it illegal to intentionally or recklessly create a risk of public inconvenience, annoyance , or alarm by engaging in various prohibited actions. There are three major categories, and I think only one of them has a real shot at active prosecution: if someone willfully disrupts the operation of any school or school activity, then they can get slapped with disorderly conduct. For this to apply to these kids, they'd have to be on school grounds or at some school activity. Whether you could use this to prosecute kids on school grounds at night is an open question, and I doubt that most prosecutors would bother.

Hazing gang members, Va. Code 18.2-55.1, could arguably apply if the cops/prosecutors could make a convincing argument that this "fight club" behavior constitutes a criminal gang. I think it's a stretch, personally, but maybe if the group consists of a bunch of rowdy teenagers who also smoke dope and maybe shoplift, then you might have a case. There's also the criminal statute against hazing students for entry into clubs, Va. Code 18.2-56. Arguably these kids are students and their activity constitutes a "club."

If they are on private property and there are posted "No Trespassing" signs, then there is always criminal trespass charges under Va. Code 18.2-119. If a bunch of kids get together on private property to fight, then their trespassing might qualify them for the additional charge of unlawful assembly under Va. Code 18.2-406.

The thing is, the cops can charge them with any of these things, including assault (notwithstanding the consent defense), and the kids would have to contest the charges, which can be pretty annoying for the parents.

I can't imagine that simply viewing a group of fighting teenagers from afar will subject you to any criminal penalty, but again that's not legal advice.

/Not your lawyer, we don't have an attorney-client relationship, and I'm not providing legal advice or opinion.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Javid posted:

The following is me being curious: In areas that utilize the death penalty, how are laws regarding premeditated homicide altered to make it legal for the guy who pulls the switch or whatever? Or are they? If this isn't how it's done, how IS it done?

In Virginia, the Director of the Board of Corrections is authorized by statute to carry out execution sentences, which means the state government has given the Director (and his/her designated agents) the authority to execute someone - this removes their action from the reach of the criminal laws. The state government controls the criminalization of conduct, so it is within its power to exempt individuals from those laws.

The criminal laws pertaining to homicide are not, themselves, written in a way that exempts the executioner.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know how it works in Australia, but I think here in the U.S. the tackling friend would be an intervening tortfeasor that would prevent the bowling club from being liable. The tackle was intentional, it caused the damage, I just don't see how you could get the bowling club to be liable.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

svein posted:

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on an incident that occurred last night. I live in Arizona, and at a night out at the bars I decided it was a good idea to urinate in public, against the wall down a bit from any bars. Of course, it was a terrible decision and I immediately had two bicycle cops surrounding me and questioning me. Of course, I was drunk at the time so I can't even recall if I even started urinating or if I stopped after they had shown up. They exchanged words with me and issued me a citation. Another problem is that I stupidly lost that citation last night, so I have no claim number and I'm not even sure what court I would need to go to.

So that leaves me with a couple of questions:
1) How hosed am I for urinating in public in the first place (which I can only assume I did if I was issued a citation)? Will I go on a sex offenders list?

2) How do I get a copy of the claim so that I know when the court date is, etc.?

3) How hosed am I?

Thanks

Try searching for your name here: http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/

Then call the court that has your case.

I have no idea about the rest of that stuff.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

svein posted:

Great thank you for that.

I talked to several people who had the same charge as me, and it turns out there is no sex-offender status for this city.

So now the only thing I need to worry about is getting the court arrangement; do you know how long it takes for that system to update? Am I right to think it may not be updated over the weekend, and I won't have to go to court for at least a few weeks?

Uh, yeah that's probably right, but you should call the court monday morning, or as soon as it's in the system.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Do you know how long I've been wanting to do a bareknuckle match in a basement? Especially a church basement?

My god. Let's start a church.

I am so down with this. Who will we pray to? I am picturing a version of Jesus that looks a bit like Brad Pitt's character from Snatch. (Not Bard Pitt's character from Fight Club)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Akrabbim posted:

Not that we're aware of, but I'll find out tomorrow when I talk to them. We just got the e-mail notifying us of the huge debt we supposedly have, and I wanted to get as much information as possible before speaking with them. I'm planning on making them show me exactly how they came up with this number (which, based on their past history, I fully expect to be faulty). Also, I'm planning on requesting every piece of documentation they have about their payment plans. Would they be required to keep documentation back to the point at which we started school here? Because, since I trusted them not to do something like this, I didn't think to keep such records.

Is there anything else that any of you can advise, or anything you know about Louisiana and payment plans? For example, in Alabama, non-competition agreements don't matter, because those sort of agreements aren't legal there whether you sign them or not. Anything similar in Louisiana?

I think we have a Louisiana lawgoon somewhere, I'll ping the Lawgoon thread and see if we can get him in here, although I don't think he'll know right off the bat, and he won't provide you with actual legal advice.

In general terms, if Party A offers to pay X for services, and Party B accepts X for services, then Party B can come back later and say "Oh, I meant for you to pay Y, I made a mistake" - but Party B has to show the existence of the mistake at the time of the contract, Party A may or may not have to have known that a mistake was made at the time, and Party B has to come back within a generally reasonable timeframe, etc.

Party B cannot unilaterally decide, after Party B has accepted payment and the transaction is concluded, that Party A suddenly owes more money for a completed transaction in the past. I think general contract law is pretty solid on that doctrine, especially if payment was made several times under one agreement, and a while ago in the past.

I would pushback on this, definitely. If they want more money out of you for past semesters, they better come up with some persuasive arguments and some good documentation.

entris fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 4, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Remicion posted:

My wallet was stolen out of my car with $800 in it, my credit cards, license, insurance cards, outside of a Walmart in California by an entire family of thugs (straight down to a low riding Chrysler 300, and the one breaking into my god drat car carrying a loving 4 month old baby).

They used all the cash, and used my credit card, then started bragging about it to their friends. One of the friends called the cops and the cops arrested them for it (they were also caught on Walmart parking lot video, and two of the women who went to the walmart door as lookouts were caught on the in store cameras), but the cops tell me now that they won't have to pay the money back because it's considered a felony and felonies don't have to be reimbursed.

What the gently caress?

I think perhaps the cops mean that the cops themselves, ie the police department, won't have to pay your money back.

Pretty sure you could sue these fuckers into the ground in civil court. They are probably judgement-proof, although it would be pretty cool if you could get their low riding Chrysler through a tort judgment, that would piss them off.

note: civil court would definitely be a hassle because you'd have to get service and blah blah blah, and they are probably impossible to collect from.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SWATJester posted:

Service shouldn't be a problem if they're in jail on felony charges. An attachment on the car ought to be enough to to cover the $800.

-e- Also I dont know how it works, but you might be able to garnish their prison wages?

Hahaha prison wages. That's just mean, "Here, let me garnish the 10 cents an hour that you make." That's just vindictive, I love it.

Also, with some tort claims he could probably get punitive damages - delicious!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And, of course, it bears repeating that no one is actually offering legal advice in this thread - the lawgoons (students and lawyers alike) are merely giving out generalized explanations of legal principles that may apply to a goon's situation.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Excal posted:

Question re: Florida:

My dad passed away in December, and apparently he had a "Health Savings Account" with a bank in Kansas. There is no estate, and we are trying to recover the funds. The Kansas bank has already received a copy of the death certificate, but they won't transfer the funds to us until we can prove that there is no estate and that it is legal for them to do so. Specifically, they said they require a "no estate affidavit."

I've tried calling the local probate court in Florida, but they've been very unhelpful. 9 out of 10 times that I have called (over the span of a week) there is no answer; if I leave a message, they never call me back. The one time I did speak to somebody, she didn't know how to help me (had never heard of a "no estate affidavit") so she transferred me to their supervisor, only for the call to be disconnected. I would just go there in person, but I'm currently working in Atlanta so that's not an option.

Is there anyone who is familiar with estate/probate law in Florida that can give me some general information about how bank funds/etc. are recovered by the family when there is no estate? Does anyone know of a form that establishes that there is no estate and that it is legal for the Kansas bank to relinquish the funds? I've been trying to find this information online to no avail.

Sorry if this is vague; I have been mostly detached from the legal process involving his death up to this point, as it was being handled by a relative. I apologize if I left out any important details in this post.

Basically, banks are leery of distributing cash to family members who claim there is no estate, because then some other family member pops up and says "Wait a minute, I'm the executor and you should only have released those funds to me!" So banks basically want to make absolutely certain they are releasing the funds to the right person. If the Florida probate clerk's office won't issue you some sort of certified document stating that there is no probate estate to be opened, then you may just have to open a small estate, get yourself appointed executor, and then get the funds from the bank.

Sucks, but hey that's what happens when people don't do appropriate estate planning.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

What is the process for submitting an affidavit for a friend's upcoming misdemeanor hearing?

I live in Wisconsin, and my friend lives in Illinois. The incident took place in Tennessee, which is where the hearing will be taking place.

Is there a special form that I must use, or can I just type up and sign a statement?

I understand that I will need to have it notarized. Does the notary have to be registered in Tennessee, or would someone registered in Wisconsin suffice?

Do I have to submit it to the court myself, or can I just give it to my friend?

Thanks.

Have you been asked to do this by either the defense or the prosecution? You shouldn't submit anything unless you have been asked to.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

cucka posted:

I really want to do some viral advertising relating to the thing I'm working on, but I'm worried that if I rush into it,

The other responses that you've gotten were both good, and I'd like to point out an additional issue: have you researched the typical life cycle for a graphic novel? I'm not sure that you need to do any "viral" advertising - however you define it. If you are interested in print publishing, you should check in with the goons over in the Creative Convention area, I think there are some goons in publishing who can give you pointers.

I also want to point out that putting your novel on a website as you finish pages / story arcs is a viable method for building buzz about your story - and you don't have to get a publisher on board, either. There has been a lot of serious comic work published first on the internet, then collected and published in book form. Take a look at Penny-Arcade, for cryin' out loud! They don't even write story arcs and yet you can now find their books in Barnes and Noble due to their popularity on the internet.

So my suggestion to you, as an aspiring small business person (and make no mistake, creating and selling a graphic novel is a small business), is that you should really spend some time checking out business models for your industry. Talk to other comic book writers / artists, see what has worked for them, etc. Good luck!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you post a single page / panel of your comic, I believe you have a copyright over that.

Copyright isn't going to protect you from someone else liking your story and making a spin-off of their own, unless they actually use your plot elements or your writing.

I also think you are putting the cart in front of the horse - you're worrying about someone stealing your awesome idea before you can get it out there. But you need to make sure you have an awesome idea first - make sure your story arcs are well-crafted, your characters are compelling, and your art guy is doing a good job. You don't need to worry this much about copyright issues at this stage in the game, you are unnecessarily stressing yourself out.

Also, I think you could probably get some pretty cheap webhosting to throw your comic up onto - you may want to stay away from using Facebook as your prime method of distribution, although throwing a link to your website up on Facebook is a fine idea.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Conqueror Bounma posted:

I posted this is the debt collector thread but I will repost here as well in hopes of more activity.

State: Rhode Island

So for the past 2 two months my house has been getting calls at all hours every day from these debt collectors looking for somebody named Lisa Smith. There is no Lisa Smith here, there never has been. We got a new number about two years ago and it is a number they have on file. These people are incredibly rude, they completely don't believe you when you tell them there is no Lisa here they just think your screwing with them. There no way to prove a negative, there is no Lisa Smith here but they just will not stop calling. I am perfectly willing to sue the poo poo out of these mother fuckers if there is any reasonable cause to do it. I have already told them to stop calling obviously. What course of action should I take?

Here is a useful page:
http://www.riag.ri.gov/civilcriminal/consumerfaq.php

quote:

How do I stop a debt collector from calling?
While debt collectors have a right to seek payment, they must follow the guidelines set forth in both the federal and Rhode Island Fair Debt Collection Practices acts. According to the statutes, to stop a debt collector from calling, write a letter to the agency instructing them to cease and desist contacting you by telephone at home or at work and that all future communication be made to you via mail. Send the letter certified and retain a copy for your records.

At what times are debt collectors allowed to call?

A debt collector may contact you seven days a week between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

Get the caller's information, tell them you need an address to send a check to or something, do whatever to get some form of contact information from them. If you need to pretend to be Lisa Smith, do it. Whatever. Get the information. Then send them a letter telling them to stop, and keep a copy. If they don't, call up the Consumer Protection Unit of the RI Attorney General and report them. Also try the Better Business Bureau.

First order of business is definitely getting some sort of identifier for them, so you know who is calling you.

Here are some statutes:
http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE19/19-14.9/19-14.9-5.HTM

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE19/19-14.9/19-14.9-6.HTM

Remedies and Penalties:

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE19/19-14.9/19-14.9-13.HTM

Tell the next person who calls that you need an address to send a check to, get an address, and then go down to your local court and fill out a civil claim against them.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alchenar posted:

This seems like a bad idea, one that in a worst case scenario results in you standing in front of a judge having to explain why you claimed to be the person oweing the debt. You don't want a remedy that's for the actual debtors, you want them to move on.

It might be galling, but try offering to allow them to visit the property to satisfy themselves that no Lisa Smith lives there. If they turn that down then you have a better shot at a harassment claim.

I can't imagine that any court would condemn an innocent consumer for trying to get harassing phone calls to stop. But I suppose you raise a fair point.

Perhaps these debt collectors will be happy to hand over their contact information, company name, etc.

The point is: the victim needs to get their contact information and their identity before any other remedy is possible.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DJ Sizzle posted:

Last year my girlfriend loaned her ex boyfriend and friend of 10 years $8000 dollars to keep his house from foreclosing promising to pay her and a few other friends back.

He now rents this property in our state (Indiana). She met this guy in college he was a foreign exchange student and a Turkish national. He is now in Turkey but basically making a living from renting this property. She has tried to contact him and at first he was responsive but when she began demanding a return on the money, he broke contact saying the market was too bad to sell.

Is their a way that we can slap a lien on the property or some other action? She unfortunately trusted this guy because of their long friendship and her only record of the transaction is the transferal from her bank to his.

Any advice guys?

Any emails or communications from the guy in which he admits the money was a loan? Has he ever made any payments back to her, at all? If so, are there records of those payments?

Also, for small claims, the bank record is probably sufficient to bring a civil claim.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wyatt posted:

Let both of these stand as examples of why you get it in writing. If you aren't comfortable forcing friends to sign contracts, don't do business deals with your friends.

Maybe we should do a new OP and add a set of generally accepted pieces of advice like this. That would require more work though.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PoOKiE! posted:

I'm sorry, I was in a hurry I guess. Should have made it more clear.

I filed in the court and since their office is right across the street, I "served" the papers to the prosecutor the same day. I think it was the 5th, and the court date was the 17th...

It's obvious they got them because I just received their response to them which was dated the day of court and it looked like more researched answers than they could have done after court was done at 3pm. (and of course because I personally delivered them.)

Not sure about your state, but in my state a party to a case is not authorized to serve process. You have to hire a 3rd party process server or get a sheriff's deputy to do it.

So.... if you walked the papers over there yourself, that does not qualify for service in my state.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PoOKiE! posted:

I believe that's the case if you have a lawyer in Illinois, but I have been taking care of this on my own up until now. As far as I know I'm not wrong on that because they've accepted everything I've filed previously and haven't brought that issue up before?

Well, the civil procedure rules for Illinois don't allow a party to serve process:

quote:

735 ILCS 5/2-202. Persons authorized to serve process; Place of service; Failure to make return.

(a) Process shall be served by a sheriff, or if the sheriff is disqualified, by a coroner of some county of the State. A sheriff of a county with a population of less than 1,000,000 may employ civilian personnel to serve process. In counties with a population of less than 1,000,000, process may be served, without special appointment, by a person who is licensed or registered as a private detective under the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 [FN1] or by a registered employee of a private detective agency certified under that Act. A private detective or licensed employee must supply the sheriff of any county in which he serves process with a copy of his license or certificate; however, the failure of a person to supply the copy shall not in any way impair the validity of process served by the person. The court may, in its discretion upon motion, order service to be made by a private person over 18 years of age and not a party to the action. It is not necessary that service be made by a sheriff or coroner of the county in which service is made. If served or sought to be served by a sheriff or coroner, he or she shall endorse his or her return thereon, and if by a private person the return shall be by affidavit.

(a-5) Upon motion and in its discretion, the court may appoint as a special process server a private detective agency certified under the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004. Under the appointment, any employee of the private detective agency who is registered under that Act may serve the process. The motion and the order of appointment must contain the number of the certificate issued to the private detective agency by the Department of Professional Regulation under the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004.

(b) Summons may be served upon the defendants wherever they may be found in the State, by any person authorized to serve process. An officer may serve summons in his or her official capacity outside his or her county, but fees for mileage outside the county of the officer cannot be taxed as costs. The person serving the process in a foreign county may make return by mail.

(c) If any sheriff, coroner, or other person to whom any process is delivered, neglects or refuses to make return of the same, the plaintiff may petition the court to enter a rule requiring the sheriff, coroner, or other person, to make return of the process on a day to be fixed by the court, or to show cause on that day why that person should not be attached for contempt of the court. The plaintiff shall then cause a written notice of the rule to be served on the sheriff, coroner, or other person. If good and sufficient cause be not shown to excuse the officer or other person, the court shall adjudge him or her guilty of a contempt, and shall impose punishment as in other cases of contempt.

(d) If process is served by a sheriff or coroner, the court may tax the fee of the sheriff or coroner as costs in the proceeding. If process is served by a private person or entity, the court may establish a fee therefor and tax such fee as costs in the proceedings.

(e) In addition to the powers stated in Section 8.1a of the Housing Authorities Act, [FN2] in counties with a population of 3,000,000 or more inhabitants, members of a housing authority police force may serve process for forcible entry and detainer actions commenced by that housing authority and may execute orders of possession for that housing authority.

(f) In counties with a population of 3,000,000 or more, process may be served, with special appointment by the court, by a private process server or a law enforcement agency other than the county sheriff in proceedings instituted under the Forcible Entry and Detainer Article of this Code as a result of a lessor or lessor's assignee declaring a lease void pursuant to Section 11 of the Controlled Substance and Cannabis Nuisance Act. [FN3]

But your issue is quasi-criminal, if I remember correctly, so this may not be relevant. Although, admittedly, I still think you can't serve process personally.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alchenar posted:

There is something very wrong with you for thinking there is any ambiguity on these questions.

That's not fair. You may or may not agree with his questions on a moral level, but lawyers are expected to provide a legal analysis, which may differ from your moral position.

czachz, if your life is not in danger then you won't be able to claim self defense. Generally speaking, the self-defense rules do not permit deadly force to protect property. There may be a few states in which courts have upheld self-defense in this situation but I couldn't tell you which ones - although I'd guess a "red" state, if any.

In the real world, however, you would just tell your lawyer that you thought the robber was pulling a gun/knife/taser/whatever and that he was going to attack you. Or you claim his friend (who may or may not have been there) was about to attack you.

(If you shoot him/her in the back, you will probably lose your self-defense argument.)

It does matter whether you are in your house or out in public, but different jurisdictions treat these situations differently. Some states permit you more leeway if you are in your house, some do not.

If you attempt to shoot a fleeing robber in public, and your bullet misses and hits an innocent bystander, god help you. (Or if your bullet overpenetrates and hits someone else.)

If you are carrying illegally, that is a crime apart from the self-defense shooting. The cops can arrest you for carrying illegally. Whether they do or not is a very very locally specific question - maybe the cops in one county will arrest you, while the cops in the next county over will not. We can't answer that question for you.

So basically: no, do not shoot a fleeing robber, especially not in public where you are likely to gently caress up and harm others. Instead, thank your lucky stars that the robber did not bring friends and was not intent on harming you, and invest in better security. You should only pull the trigger when someone is actively attacking you or another person, and even then you better be a good shot because your fine motor skills are going to be stressed as hell due to adrenaline so your aiming is going to be generally terrible.

entris fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 25, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

The one instance I can recall involving self-defense use of a gun and a felon was when the felon grabbed his attacker's gun, was arrested for felon-in-possession, and won.

Won the self-defense argument or won acquittal on the felon-in-possession charge?

(or both?)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiderfailure posted:

Do I have to disclose to my Navy recruiter something that happened as a minor and was dismissed under deferred adjudication or can the military just see everything?

I can't give you a legal opinion, I know nothing about military recruitment policies or whatnot, but I do know that military recruiters are under incredibly intense pressure to fill their quota, so the chances are very high that the recruiter will shrug it off or tell you to outright lie on your application.

In other words, you should probably just disclose it (especially since it was dismissed) and don't worry about it.

You may want to try the Goons in Platoons subforum, though, I'll bet you that there are a few recruiters in there who can give you the skinny.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mboger posted:

I updated my original post to reflect my retardation. Sorry about my arm chair lawyerin'.

All lawyerin' is arm chair.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PoOKiE! posted:

Do you mean that it was a double yellow or that you drove on the shoulder to pass on a one-way road?

I'm sure the real lawyers will correct me, but I don't think they would be looked at as a whole. Even though you broke a traffic law and should have gotten a ticket if a cop saw you, it doesn't mean that your action was a cause of the dangerous activities that took place afterwards.

Example: I jaywalk and a car that I hadn't seen has to hit his brakes fairly quickly. He is angry so he parks his car somewhere and then pursues me and beats me up.

Also: If that red light camera caught both of you, it totally supports your story that you feared for your life and should mostly vindicate you from what happened. If you couldn't safely get away from him by pulling into the nearest parking lot or something because he would probably have assaulted you, then you legitimately feared for your life/safety.

Please stop posting advice for other people.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mousse420 posted:

:words:

What state are you in?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wreckus posted:

Whelp. Ok last question. Does a General Power of Attorney document need to be notarized? (apparently this is required to collect personal belongings/remains even for family (sister/sister in-law))

In my state, a GPOA does not have to be notarized in order to be valid, but if it is notarized then it is treated as presumptively valid unless someone can prove otherwise. So get it notarized.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
e: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Time Trial posted:

I live in Virginia but this took place in DC. I lost my ipod on the metro system and some guy emailed me to let me know he turned it in, which I also confirmed with the station manager that he turned it in to. Then it somehow disappeared within their lost and found system. They're looking in to how this happened, but if they tell me that they have no idea where it is (I'm guessing that means someone within Metro lost and found stole it or something) do I have any recourse? Are they liable for items within their lost and found system? Can I ask them for the cost of my ipod?

First you need to go here: http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/lost_found/

And officially report your item. It helps if you have the serial number for the iPod and any other identifying information (is it laser engraved?). Once you have a case number, you can harass them to your heart's content. Just having the station manager admit it was turned in is not enough, but you should probably include that info in your report.

If you become convinced that they lost (stole) it, you could try submitting a complaint to the Inspector General:

code:
To submit a report of fraud, waste, abuse or misconduct concerning Metro activities or operations, you may contact the OIG via:

phone at 202-962-2400
email
postal mail to:
Metro Office of Inspector General
Attn: OIG Hotline
600 5th Street, NW, 3A
Washington, DC 20001
From http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/inspector_general/