Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Is there assigned parking? Why not just ask your neighbor to move his car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Wait, you asked him to move his car so you could get yours out, and he said no? We had a guy park on the street and block my driveway enough so that I couldn't move my car, so we called the non-emergency number for the police, they came out wrote the guy a ticket and had it towed. Try calling the cops first.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Sizzler Manager posted:

Can someone explain this to me? I don't even think it's fair that I should get cited for loving up my own car and damaging nothing else.

You didn't get a ticket for damaging your car, you got a ticket for running off the road. You were unable to control your car under the circumstances, and got a ticket for it.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Thorias posted:

That's what I've been doing, what I mainly want to know is how come it's possible to have a court date and not be told about it, with a letter, or a phone call or anything from the court or the lawyer? It makes it sound like to me that his lawyer doesn't really care about winning this case if he won't tell his client about the court date.

There is almost no chance your brother wasn't made aware of his court date.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

excellentcoffee posted:

Why did you testify? Was it a Federal grand jury?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Why is he now refusing to pay?
Is your other roommate willing to actually testify?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

jase1 posted:

Yes that's true but I also want to stop being harassed. I am not doing anything wrong or he would have given me a ticket by now.

You admitted at least twice in your post that you'd broken the law.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Amused to Death posted:

the mother/daughter involved are 26 and 47 respectively

That doesn't sound right.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

NancyPants posted:

Was I having a dream, or isn't it completely illegal for cops to set up checkpoints and just pull over X number of cars that are not seen to be performing any violations and request licenses and registrations? I'm not talking about times they set up with five cars in busy areas on summer holidays and they wait for drunks and speeders and whatnot to pull over, I mean pulling over drivers who aren't visibly breaking any laws.

Why would that be illegal? You basically agree to allowing the cops to stop you anytime they want when you get your license.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Eli Cash posted:

I did just this and gently caress. The lady at the juvenile court looked my record up and told me over the phone my charges and that they were still open to be viewed(which I thought was weird, confidentiality-wise). I'm going there Monday morning to fill out an expungement application. Funny thing is my attorney told me a year ago that these charges weren't accessible and was surprised that I told him otherwise today.

Why are you having a background check? There are some agencies that can view your record regardless of it being expunged or sealed.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

meteloides posted:

What I did in return can be construed as assault, though I didn't hit him; I grabbed his shirt and told him to never say that to me again, or I'd report him for sexual harassment.

That wouldn't be "construed" as assault, it'd most likely be classified as battery. However much he was out of line, you went way overboard when you grabbed him. If any employee ever grabbed me like that, subordinate or not, I would make it my job to get them fired. He was probably, and very likely, way out of line with his comment, but you trumped his actions.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

MalConstant posted:

I wanted him to pay for my share...

Of the rent? You've already said you walked out on the contract, did you figure out a way to take care of the rest of the rent?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Is there a sign in the front yard or a sticker on a window with the name of the alarm company? Failing that, turn off the power to the house.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Orlen posted:

There's no number for either the letting agent or the alarm company written on any sign or alarm box on the front of the house.

Start calling security companies in your area until you find one that'll help out.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Robawesome posted:

thanks for pointing that out. He's not contending what was found in the search, it's a matter of the search being illegal. Haven't you ever heard of a case of drugs being thrown out for illegal search? You're really not contributing here.

How was the search illegal?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ZeldaLeft posted:

There's a guy who wants to kick my rear end. He's taken to shoving me and spitting on me when I see him in public. It's annoying and embarrassing, but I'm still not going to give him the satisfaction of a fight. I do, however, have a whole bunch of facebook screenshots, posts and chat logs where he has specifically stated his intention to do me physical harm over the past few weeks. Are these admissible? Can I get a restraining order or something? At what point can I take some type of preventative/retaliatory action?

Shoving and spitting is assault. If you're not going to fight him, call the police.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ZeldaLeft posted:

Noted, but this is Pittsburgh, and it's at a bar. The cops will laugh at me and do nothing, and even if they remove him from the bar, he'll just come back some other time, we kinda run in the same social circle.

Why is he loving with you?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

ZeldaLeft posted:

ok, but since i didn't have his address, I couldn't get the police to even charge him go talk to him.

So, find out his full name and get his address?
Other than "not giving him the satisfaction," is there a reason you don't just clock him next time he pushes you or spits on you?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

baquerd posted:

Suppose you run into someone's fence accidentally (backing up with a big van for example). What are you typically liable for and is there any criminal potential? How bad would ignoring it be worst case scenario?

Is this a serious question? You'd be liable for the damage you caused to the fence. If the owner called the police, you could be fined or maybe arrested.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

baquerd posted:

It's still pretty ridiculous, high $x hundred dollars to replace what's basically 6 feet of wood slats.

Fences are expensive to put up and to repair properly. That's why you shouldn't run into them. And if you do, you should be expected to pay the cost of repairs.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
You are loving ridiculous.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

SWATJester posted:

OYEZ OYEZ OYEZ, COMES NOW [PLAINTIFF] HAVING BUSINESS BEFORE THIS, THE HONORABLE COURT OF SMALL CLAIMS, DULY SWEARETH AND AFFIRMETH IT TO BE TRUE THAT....

...I ran into a fence and I don't want to PAY for it. How can I, my heirs, and anyone I've ever met, not be responsible for it?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Ingen posted:

It's a traffic matter, wreckless driving.

If it's wreck-less, there shouldn't be a problem.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Potrod posted:

So, my question is, how do I clear all this up, pay the original summons and whatever else? The physical summons/ticket/whatever itself is long gone, I assume, though possibly buried under some papers somewhere.

Call the court.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Kinda specific, but is anyone familiar with laws regarding minors being in bars in Texas? Basically, there's a 17 year old in a band that his 29 year old brother is also in. The parents, the owner of the bar and the local cops are cool with it, but on the off chance TABC comes in, is there an issue?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Call her?
Call the company she works for?
Stop emailing.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Biskies posted:

I may be stupid, but I don't get this at all. I work for an IP attorney (I work in patent prosecution). I have no idea what answer that was supposed to provide since it's the partner I work for that is causing this issue for me

Right. A partner.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Alchenar posted:

If you see someone climbing out of one of your windows then you would not be entitled to make any of those assumptions despite him technically being on your property.

If someone is climbing out of your window, how are they not committing a crime?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

quepasa18 posted:

You can only use lethal force if your own life (or that of another) is in jeopardy, based on what a reasonable person would believe under the circumstances. It's not based on a crime being committed. Generally, once the intruder is retreating, your abiilty to use lethal force is gone.

This is entirely dependent on the jurisdiction. In some states, it is entirely legal to use deadly force to prevent a property crime.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Spiderfailure posted:

Do I have to disclose to my Navy recruiter something that happened as a minor and was dismissed under deferred adjudication or can the military just see everything?

It has been my experience that the military can see everything. What is it?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

nm posted:

A pro bono lawyer is called a public defender.

This is not accurate. A lawyer working pro bono isn't necessarily from the public defenders office.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Whose house is it?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

haruspex posted:

My question is, if the employee couldn't/wouldn't come back in, would the employer have grounds for termination? This isn't anything that's ever happened, but I am curious.

Depending on the state, an employer can fire someone for almost any reason or no reason at all, barring the obvious race, religion, whatever else protected class.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Go to a loving doctor.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Dick Smegma posted:

Im trying to be a Registered Nurse in Texas, and part of the process is getting a FBI fingerprinting done.

I have a juvenile record. Will my juvenile record show up or only my adult record? or is that sealed and unable to be looked at unless court ordered?

They'll be able to see it, but usually the FBI check is to see if your prints match up to any unsolved crimes.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
What'd he say when you asked him to fix the door?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
You were in an accident involving a drunk driver and didn't call the cops?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Dick Smegma posted:

Lately a lot of religious groups – Jehovah’s Witnesses primarily – but others also – have been canvassing my neighborhood and spreading “the good news”. I am just fine without their little visits. The next time some drop by I was thinking about answering my door naked – even inviting them in if they want to talk. Would this be illegal? After all, I’d be in the privacy of my own home. Do you think they would put out the word to their fellow proselytizers to avoid my place?

Or, you could answer the door and say, "Hey guys, I'm really not interested. Thanks, but no."

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Corsair Jr posted:

When I said payback I meant they might be making this whole thing up. The only evidence I saw was a tiny picture of a roughly 2" in diameter red spot on a white cushion on a chair.

But you're not sure you didn't do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Does she not have some duty to report a crime? Can she hide behind spousal privilege with this?