Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
WELL I GUESS GO AHEAD AND ADD ME TO THE LIST OF PEOPLE WHO ARE FIREFIGHTERS.

( seriously where the bros at man )

(p.p.s. we let the local HAMRadio old guys use the station for meetings on tuesdays. I walked in earlier looking for something and walked into the middle of a bunch of old guys telling one old guy that he was kicked out of their club. how sad. theyre all like 85 years old at least. also we apparently use the local boy scout troop to wash trucks. :kickinrad:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
You can add me as well.

Oh yeah, and guess who put out his first truck fire today? Man it looked like there was magnesium burning in there somewhere too and having fire three feet from your face is like the ultimate drug.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

You can add me as well.

Oh yeah, and guess who put out his first truck fire today? Man it looked like there was magnesium burning in there somewhere too and having fire three feet from your face is like the ultimate drug.

e:im rude. Congrats. Wait till you get to go inside a structure fire though oh god :awesome:

invision fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 8, 2010

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Cage Kicker posted:

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
Rookies are so cute :)

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I know right! I remember when I first got in and everything was *THE poo poo*. Fire alarm? HELL YEA! Water in the basement? I'M ON IT!

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Bro's, some girl at a club tonight showed me the "bunker gear dance" which is pretty much a dance that mimicks putting on bunker gear. It was awesome. hth <3

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

invision posted:

Bro's, some girl at a club tonight showed me the "bunker gear dance" which is pretty much a dance that mimicks putting on bunker gear. It was awesome. hth <3

Badge bunnies are dangerous, keep them hocks off that box slick.

Unless she was a normal well adjusted person, in which case carry on.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
Awesome. Now I have a dance to go with my firefighting rap album.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Marx posted:

Badge bunnies are dangerous, keep them hocks off that box slick.

Unless she was a normal well adjusted person, in which case carry on.

they always appear normal until you get about 2 months in and then the crazy comes out.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Awesome. Now I have a dance to go with my firefighting rap album.

I'll have you know, sir, that I recorded the smash hit single "Fire Truck (go woo)" over a year ago. :colbert:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Haha yeah, when I got out of the Army I felt all salty and "meh". Being a rookie again is actually fun because everything rules.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

I'll have you know, sir, that I recorded the smash hit single "Fire Truck (go woo)" over a year ago. :colbert:

My first hit is going to be "Make it rain(on them flames)".

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

My first hit is going to be "Make it rain(on them flames)".

"Blowin' smoke all day (fan truck anthem)"

ReebTop
May 17, 2003
So, after a three-year hiatus and a month of absolute silence in-district since I got back on the FD, I finally caught a job. Granted, just a CO alarm, but hell. Felt good to be back on the engine.

Although I do miss the old tower ladder I was on, once upon a time.

Fan Death
Sep 13, 2007

I AM THE LAW (WITHIN THESE PREMISES)
Heh, probies. You and your orange shields.

:smug:

Fan Death fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 14, 2010

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Its too cold here to do anything!

Say hello to steam coming from a building runs...lol

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
I just found out that County is holding written trainee testing in January 2011. Does that mean there may be hope in the not-too-distant future to score a trainee slot in CA? Or do they typically test without hiring or are they populating a 10-year waitlist like FDNY?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Checking back in.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Passed the physical (or at least the important parts. I need to work on bending at the waist) and got the Agility test scheduled for Sunday. Sounds like classes for FF1 starts up in January, and until I clear all of those, I'm an exterior Fire Fighter!

Already enjoying Fringe Benefit #1: Firefighters are one of the few people that have an excuse to grow a mustache!

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Woo just got back from a working structural fire and its my birthday! What a way to start.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So, we jaws'd a person out of a car, and we're standing around while the EMT's do their thing, and this car stops right in front of the scene, and the fattest loving guy I've ever seen rolls down his window and starts taking cellphone pictures. I've never wanted to punch someone in the neckfat so hard.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

invision posted:

So, we jaws'd a person out of a car, and we're standing around while the EMT's do their thing, and this car stops right in front of the scene, and the fattest loving guy I've ever seen rolls down his window and starts taking cellphone pictures. I've never wanted to punch someone in the neckfat so hard.

You should have just stood directly between him and the scene so he couldn't get a clear shot, all the while asking if there's anything you can do for him, if he needs help, is he okay, etc.

Of course a guy like that probably would have just started taking pictures of you and claiming harassment or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

invision posted:

All those months of dealing with fatasses at Outback really helped develop your personal restraint.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

psydude posted:

All those months of dealing with fatasses at Outback really helped develop your personal restraint.

It was you wasn't it

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

invision posted:

It was you wasn't it

I wish. Unfortunately, I've resigned myself to taking your tax dollars by being a federal employee like Grover.

nobueno
Jun 6, 2004

Let me introduce myself. I'm Joe Grizzly, bitch. And I'm gonna cut that goddamn mask right off your face, you...
Hey goons,
I'm 23 and I live in southern California and just got out of the Marines in July. I was wondering if you all would be so kind to answer some questions. Here is a little bit that I've gotten done or am working for. I've just started on my associate's degree for fire technology and just finished my EMT course (waiting on NREMT and livescan). I'm wanting to get a job as an EMT-B as soon as I can so that I can get a year or more of medical experience to go to Paramedic school. During that time as an EMT-B I'm going to finish my degree (fire academy is included in the degree). Hopefully with my military service, fire degree, and hopefully EMT-P mixed in with some other things hopefully will give me a chance or a one up on some of the other applicants. My questions to you are:

-The general vibe here in California is that nation wide in the next 2 to 3ish years the fire industry is going to be comming back in style and brining a good amount of jobs with it. Can any of you comment on this with your views?

-Here in CA, we have alot of 17 and 18 year old non-firefighters running around with fire house shirts and more fire stickers on their cars than an ice cream truck. How do you view these people? Am I the rear end in a top hat since I know relatively little about the fire service or should I hop on the bandwagon of people that have been fire explorer's since age 5. In the military I know JROTC is supposed to give you the "one up" on the military, but we generally view said people as dip shits. Is this also true in the fire service?

-I saw early in the thread there was a fire fighter from Australia. Does anyone know the process or general idea of transfering fire fighting credentials to another country? I have the option of maybe moving to New Zealand and was wondering if all my efforts relating to the fire service here would carry over or at least give me kudos there. Or would I have to start from scratch?

I have some more questions when I get around to remembering them, but in the meanwhile thank you for your time and any answers you can throw my way.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

nobueno posted:

-The general vibe here in California is that nation wide in the next 2 to 3ish years the fire industry is going to be comming back in style and brining a good amount of jobs with it. Can any of you comment on this with your views?

Actually it's probably going to go the opposite. Budgets are tight across the country and many municipalities are forcing their folks to do more for the same or less. In the forseeable future it will likely be more of the same.

What you will see: increased privitization of services, further diminishing of staffing levels, increased expectations put upon the individual responder.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

Marx posted:

Actually it's probably going to go the opposite. Budgets are tight across the country and many municipalities are forcing their folks to do more for the same or less. In the forseeable future it will likely be more of the same.

What you will see: increased privitization of services, further diminishing of staffing levels, increased expectations put upon the individual responder.

Medic/FF cops advancing bullet-proof-pepper-spray-laced-water hoselines into robbery-in-progress-while-on-fire-and-a-premmie-birth-in-the-lobby banks.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Medic/FF cops advancing bullet-proof-pepper-spray-laced-water hoselines into robbery-in-progress-while-on-fire-and-a-premmie-birth-in-the-lobby banks.

You write the stuff of dreams, sir.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

"Trailer house on fire" means "Trailer house that burned to the loving ground a week ago is kinda smoldering a little."

Thanks, person who called this in at 6am, you're my hero :allears:

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Kashew posted:

A couple of towns over from where I live the police also do EMS/rescue/hazmat leaving a volunteer service to cover purely fire related stuff.

It's not podunk either, has a population of around 50k and takes up about 20 square miles.

edit: though recently they contracted out EMS transports to a local private.

Marx fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 23, 2010

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

"Trailer house on fire" means "Trailer house that burned to the loving ground a week ago is kinda smoldering a little."

Thanks, person who called this in at 6am, you're my hero :allears:

get used to it

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
Wait til you get a call for a structure fire and it turns out someone saw their neighbor's dryer vent pouring out steam in the winter.

Posts Only Secrets
Jan 22, 2005
Breaking the NDA...
Fellow FF checking in! This coming January will be my 11th year of service. Our department covers 120 miles of roadway and 30 square miles. While still a volly department, we stay quite busy.

Rest assured, if someones called 911 over something stupid, I've seen it.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kashew posted:

Wait til you get a call for a structure fire and it turns out someone saw their neighbor's dryer vent pouring out steam in the winter.

This happened today.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Kashew posted:

My favorite is the time we got dispatched on a structure fire because a passerby saw the TV flickering through the front window and thought it was fire.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

Posts Only Secrets posted:

Rest assured, if someones called 911 over something stupid, I've seen it.

Have you been dispatched for "an odor of carbon monoxide" yet?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kashew posted:

Have you been dispatched for "an odor of carbon monoxide" yet?

"35 engine, dispatch, did the caller say what the CO smelled like?"

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Cage Kicker posted:

"35 engine, dispatch, did the caller say what the CO smelled like?"

This made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Is it wrong to want to get toned out to something?

• Locked thread