Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

Marx posted:

I spent my overnight digging out hydrants.

:qq:

Hah. We totally don't do that and we should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
6 real legitimate fires in 22 hours. :smug:

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
I've had this thread bookmarked for some time now. I applied in November to become a firefighter and took the written test a couple of weeks ago. I just found out that I didn't make the cut. I was hoping to join the ranks of fire fighter goons, but welps. To be honest, I probably wasn't as qualified as some of the folks that applied this round so yea, I hope the guys with experience and that have been waiting awhile passed. But, meh, that kinda ruins some plans so I am going to go ahead wallow for the weekend. I was really looking forward to the CPAT for some reason too.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Brutal Hammer posted:

I've had this thread bookmarked for some time now. I applied in November to become a firefighter and took the written test a couple of weeks ago. I just found out that I didn't make the cut. I was hoping to join the ranks of fire fighter goons, but welps. To be honest, I probably wasn't as qualified as some of the folks that applied this round so yea, I hope the guys with experience and that have been waiting awhile passed. But, meh, that kinda ruins some plans so I am going to go ahead wallow for the weekend. I was really looking forward to the CPAT for some reason too.

Become a volly, man. The only downside is you don't get a sweet IAFF sticker to put on your vehicle. But you get to make up for it by having a huge VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER sticker and t-shirts like "TOP 10 THINGS A FIREFIGHTER SAYS BEFORE SEX". You also get to put like $20k worth of lights on your vehicle. It's important that people know!

But seriously though, look around your area and see if there are any volunteer departments near buy. Show up to a meeting, introduce yourself, and go from there.

e:seriously, who wears this bullshit? http://www.funny-tshirts.com/firefighter.php

invision fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 28, 2011

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
It's so hard to get FF jobs right now. It's so hard to get any public safety job right now, really.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

You guys use SCBA's for largeish brush fires? Just wondering.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

You guys use SCBA's for largeish brush fires? Just wondering.

Not that I know of.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

It's so hard to get FF jobs right now. It's so hard to get any public safety job right now, really.

FDNY EMS is continuing to hire at a normal rate :smug:

Probably because our attrition rates seem pretty terrible :smith:

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

FDNY EMS is continuing to hire at a normal rate :smug:

Probably because our attrition rates seem pretty terrible :smith:

LAPD has daily hiring tests because of its turnover rate.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
http://www.funny-tshirts.com/proddetail.php?prod=firesfearmefirefighter
Any volly that wears poo poo like this needs to get punched.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

We need more threads about being firefighters and putting out fires and saving babies and stuff. I think someone should start one in GBS or A/T. Or, at least, let's start a "cool firefighting pictures" thread in GiP.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I finally got the pic from the OP back up.

We don't really get fires like that anymore.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Think you're gonna need more water, bro.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
That's just exposure control.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
Kashew's pic is at least 10 years old, but has a good story (from what I can remember). Garage fire, department managed to keep it contained to just the garage, which as you can see was a total loss. The old woman who lived there was so thankful that she left a large sum of money to the FD when she died, and they were able to buy an engine because of her.

The ironic part is this is the department that has such a large tax base (because many residents are very well off) that even with a low tax rate the loving place has more money than it knows what to do with.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
We're going to get a C-130 and start providing coverage to the Adirondacks and Catskills THE WORLD! Woo hoooooooo!

Kashew fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 29, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

We're going to get a C-130 and start providing coverage to the Adirondacks and Catskills THE WORLD! Woo hoooooooo!

Am I gonna have to have a class B CDL to drive that too?

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Am I gonna have to have a class B CDL to drive that too?

Nope! Just 4 hours of EVOC.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

senor punk posted:

Nope! Just 4 hours of EVOC.

I'm a firm believer that some people should never be allowed to drive anything with flashing lights. Even with EVOC. (not that anyone pays attention to that requirement :()

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

I'm a firm believer that some people should never be allowed to drive anything with flashing lights. Even with EVOC. (not that anyone pays attention to that requirement :()

Y'know, they made it so difficult for me to get qualified that I never did. Apparently, I'm a terrible liability behind the wheel. :sarcasm:

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

Y'know, they made it so difficult for me to get qualified that I never did. Apparently, I'm a terrible liability behind the wheel. :sarcasm:

Lets not go down this road man, I know more than enough about your vollie career to bust your balls terribly here, and I don't really want to do it (alright I REALLY DO WANT TO, but I'm trying to be an adult).

If you can't fathom why some of the people in charge didn't want you behind the wheel then I don't know where to start.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

Lets not go down this road man, I know more than enough about your vollie career to bust your balls terribly here, and I don't really want to do it (alright I REALLY DO WANT TO, but I'm trying to be an adult).

If you can't fathom why some of the people in charge didn't want you behind the wheel then I don't know where to start.

I am not worse than any of our current drivers. That's for sure.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

I am not worse than any of our current drivers. That's for sure.

I doubt your driving ability had anything to do with it.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

do I really want to get my EMT-B?

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Yes.

If you have any expectation of ever trying to get paid to do this poo poo then accept EMS into your life and get on with it. I got my EMT on a whim because the FD would pay for it. I quickly took a liking to it and decided to change majors to paramedicine since I hated what I was doing at the time, and I figured being a medic would increase my job prospects. I loving love being a medic, I love EMS, and even if I do manage to make it over to the other side of FDNY I plan on continuing to work as a medic somewhere else.

edit: Also, a good friend, who is a paramedic captain in the EMS department where I volly'd, and was a chief of my fire department when I was starting out there had something very wise to say about it. If you are in this business hopefully a part of why you are here is because you have some desire to help people. With Firefighting you often do not interact with people directly. How often do you go to calls where it was an alarm system malfunctioning? Or a sprinkler that was accidentally set off? Often firefighting involves dealing with things, but not people. Every EMS call is for a person that needs (or at least... wants) our help, and it can feel very rewarding to help people on a much more personal level.

/End of me sperging about EMS in the Firefighting thread.

senor punk fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 29, 2011

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

I doubt your driving ability had anything to do with it.

Which makes the whole situation ridiculous because there's no other legit reason to not let me drive. I mean, this isn't me alone feeling this way. There are a bunch of guys from the FD that would agree that it was ridiculous with me in private, at least.

And invision, EMT-B is a whole new world of paperwork.

EDIT: Oh true, if you want to go paid, you need to embrace EMS as a godsend.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

If you ever want to get paid to fight fire, then yes. I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, EMT-B is pretty much the minimum, and you should really get your Medic if you want to get a career gig.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Crazy Dutchman posted:

If you ever want to get paid to fight fire, then yes. I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, EMT-B is pretty much the minimum, and you should really get your Medic if you want to get a career gig.
I'm also in Texas. Where you at? I'm like 45 minutes outside Houston.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Kashew posted:

I finally got the pic from the OP back up.

We don't really get fires like that anymore.
The 2011 building code will require sprinklers in all homes now. Arc-fault detection breakers are already required, and should greatly reduce the number of "electrical fault" fires (though I doubt will make a dent in lazy investigators blaming fires on electrical faults).

I wonder if all this will lead to a false sense of security and a shrinking of FF budgets as time goes on and homes become safer and safer? We'll never eliminate fires, but complacency has a nasty effect on budgets for "just in case" stuff.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

invision posted:

I'm also in Texas. Where you at? I'm like 45 minutes outside Houston.

Dallas/Fort Worth.
If you want to get an idea of who is hiring and the requirements, there is an 'employment' link on the Texas Commission on Fire Protection website.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

E:I'm an idiot with no reading comprehension skills.

invision fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 29, 2011

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Crazy Dutchman posted:

Yep forget those stupid fire science programs. Noone cares!!! Any retard can pass that program.

Get your Paramedic! That will open doors!

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004

Loco179 posted:

Yep forget those stupid fire science programs. Noone cares!!! Any retard can pass that program.

Get your Paramedic! That will open doors!

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but in Texas, this is absolutely the case. The departments that do require college hours to apply, don't care what they are in, but many either require or prefer applicants with their Paramedic certification. They don't have to worry about paying applicants while they are at school, or if they can pass the test or not.

The only person that failed the state fire exam was the class retard, but many of the folks in my medic class had to take the test more than once (including me), and several never went on to get their cert.

Now whether the trend of making everyone a Paramedic or even combining fire/EMS is a good one is a whole nother ball of wax.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I just tried to respond to a rollover from my house, and it ended up with my neighbors helping me rescue my car from my driveway. Ice sucks.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

In the next month I have hazmat ops, pipeline emergency, an SCBA class, ISO tanker shuttle, and clandestine drug lab class. :toot:

In other news, it hit the low 20's here last night and no one burned down their trailer house with a space heater. Frankly, I'm impressed.

invision fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 2, 2011

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

In the next month I have hazmat ops, pipeline emergency, an SCBA class, ISO tanker shuttle, and clandestine drug lab class. :toot:

In other news, it hit the low 20's here last night and no one burned down their trailer house with a space heater. Frankly, I'm impressed.

You remind me so much of myself at 18 :allears:. I was going through paperwork and my filing cabinet over the weekend and when I came across my fire training certificates I had to laugh. I took just about anything they offered for a good year or two... and then everything dropped off when paramedic school got tough.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

senor punk posted:

You remind me so much of myself at 18 :allears:. I was going through paperwork and my filing cabinet over the weekend and when I came across my fire training certificates I had to laugh. I took just about anything they offered for a good year or two... and then everything dropped off when paramedic school got tough.

Well it was more like "Hey invision, we know you don't really do anything so uh, you're coming to these classes. Oh yeah,and the tanker shuttle. You're welcome."

But I mean, free certs you know?

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Well it was more like "Hey invision, we know you don't really do anything so uh, you're coming to these classes. Oh yeah,and the tanker shuttle. You're welcome."

But I mean, free certs you know?

Yes I do, just like I said.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but in Texas, this is absolutely the case. The departments that do require college hours to apply, don't care what they are in, but many either require or prefer applicants with their Paramedic certification. They don't have to worry about paying applicants while they are at school, or if they can pass the test or not.

The only person that failed the state fire exam was the class retard, but many of the folks in my medic class had to take the test more than once (including me), and several never went on to get their cert.

Now whether the trend of making everyone a Paramedic or even combining fire/EMS is a good one is a whole nother ball of wax.

We have a fire science program here that tells people they will get hired if they go. Meanwhile noone wants them because they would rather put people though their own fire recruit school. So we have hundreds of kids running around with their fire science degree with no idea why noone is hiring them. Meanwhile noone can get enough medics to staff their trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

Loco179 posted:

We have a fire science program here that tells people they will get hired if they go. Meanwhile noone wants them because they would rather put people though their own fire recruit school. So we have hundreds of kids running around with their fire science degree with no idea why noone is hiring them. Meanwhile noone can get enough medics to staff their trucks.

Here in NY, you can get your FF certs as a volley, but most paid departments will send you to recruit school either way.

• Locked thread