Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Need: GPS in the trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Hurray, certs.

I just finished up my Module I for my Fire Fighter Is. Also required to pass were certs from NIMS 100b and 700a (oh ye gods so boring).

Right now I'm studying for our own internal certification where we need to know where every single piece of gear is on the Engines. I don't yet know what all the equipment does, but I'll be damned if I won't be able to find it instinctively by the end of the month!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

invision posted:

Need: GPS in the trucks.
You don't? Are you still using archaic "map and guy looking at it" technology?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Lemme get a second opinion on this -

Today we were doing a bunch of training at the station. Tones drop for a car wreck, brush truck rolls out. That leaves me, another firefighter, one person with a class B, and someone who isn't allowed to do anything but paperwork because they are recovering from surgery. Surgery person (we'll call him/her J) is known for just hanging out at scenes and not doing anything but filling out run reports. Can usually be found wearing a bunker coat and civvies, walking around trying to fill out said report.

So, the brush truck is gone, and our engine only seats 3. Tones drop for a brush fire, I grab my poo poo and throw it in the engine. Other firefighter hops in the middle, the driver gets in, and then I climb in. J walks up, opens up my door and says "hey, come here!", then jumps in the truck and closes the door. Note that J doesn't have his/her gear with him/her, and now that means only one person in the engine can actually be on a nozzle/handtool.

Besides pissing me off by being like "hey come here" then hopping in, I feel like he/she also endangered property since that left one (junior) firefighter and a driver.

Other people also saw this happen and were like "wtf?".

Do I
a)Do nothing because I'm a probie and need to learn my place
b)Keep it to myself because dramadramadrama
c)Talk to an officer at the next meeting and be like "hey, here's what happened..." because I honest-to-God feel like that was extremely unsafe.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Well if he isn't cleared to, y'know, actually do anything, then he shouldn't even be climbing up onto the truck. Run it by your lieutenant or something so that prick doesn't get anyone hurt.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Paper pushers and scenesters can come in their POV, trucks are for folks that can put in the work.

Seconding the 'run it up the line' motion.

Some folks might try to give flak but just stick with your reasoning, it's sound.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
I don't think you're allowed on calls if you're not medically cleared.

I third the run it up the line idea. It's plain dangerous for someone not medically cleared to get on a truck. They are a danger to themselves and could easily become a secondary victim.

I'll stop here before I start ranting, because safety in the fire service is one of the most hypocrite-laden parts of the whole thing.

But remember:

Every responder involved in an incident has to be functioning as a safety officer as well. Everyone has to be watching their own backs and that of everyone around them. If you see something unsafe, it is your duty to address an officer with your concerns.

Gah, now I"m all full of angst over how issues I've brought up before were responded to. It's really loving annoying how safety is the word of the day, yet unless you are/were a white hat of good repute, your opinion is meaningless. It boils my blood to think of how many times I've felt my safety jeopardized by other firefighters only to be reprimanded when I air concern. It always takes someone dying for people to shut the hell up and listen to reason, and god drat it, I don't want me or any firefighter to have to die over stupid, easily-rectified safety issues(i.e. wearing seatbelts, stopping at red lights, keeping up on gear maintenance, not going on calls drunk, not recklessly speeding while going priority 1, etc.).

Kashew fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 6, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks for the input bro's. I'll talk to my LT on Monday. Like, I realize I'm new and everything, but what happened seemed really unsafe to me.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

invision posted:

Thanks for the input bro's. I'll talk to my LT on Monday. Like, I realize I'm new and everything, but what happened seemed really unsafe to me.

I wouldn't even mention the bit about him juking you out of the last seat, just say "hey this dude isn't cleared to lift anything heavier than a ballpoint and he rolled to a fire with a junior FF and a driver". If you mention that he tricked you out of the last seat, it sounds like sour grapes rather than a safety issue.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
Yea, the whole bit about him getting on instead of you will be obvious enough.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

gently caress those suits.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

gently caress those suits.

What's wrong with 'em? :downs:

I'm actually mulling over putting in a request to get Haz-Tac certification at my job. We have Haz-Tac ambulances that have all the necessary gear for them to be able to suit up to class A if need be. It's bullshit, but it looks good on the resume and is the first step to becoming a "Rescue Medic", and those guys get a 12% stipend for their fancy title. :allears:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

senor punk posted:

What's wrong with 'em? :downs:

I'm actually mulling over putting in a request to get Haz-Tac certification at my job. We have Haz-Tac ambulances that have all the necessary gear for them to be able to suit up to class A if need be. It's bullshit, but it looks good on the resume and is the first step to becoming a "Rescue Medic", and those guys get a 12% stipend for their fancy title. :allears:

I'm going to be honest, the only reason I'm even taking the hazmat classes is so I can put it on a resume. Oddly enough, my pager doesn't break squelch when they tone us out for hazmat :iiam:

invision fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 7, 2011

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
Hazmat tech was incredibly boring in the classroom. I majored in biochemistry, so hearing super basic explanations of chemistry for hours on end drat near drove me to tears.

Still, getting all up in the suits and everything was awesome.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Hazmat tech was incredibly boring in the classroom. I majored in biochemistry, so hearing super basic explanations of chemistry for hours on end drat near drove me to tears.

Oh God dude. I realize that a lot of people they were teaching probably read at like a 5th grade level, but I really wanted to put a gun in my mouth the entire time.
That, combined with the incessant questions about mundane, unimportant poo poo made the class really tough to sit through.

Favorite question asked by a student during class: "Does spelling matter?"

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

The only thing I will enjoy about the training is the suits, and I think the fact that it's 1-2 weeks of paid training and not having to work the truck.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

The only thing I will enjoy about the training is the suits, and I think the fact that it's 1-2 weeks of paid training and not having to work the truck.

Montour Falls is pretty drat sweet. It's seriously like the NYS Fireman's Resort and Training Facility. Granite urinal dividers, that's all I'm going to say.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

"Let's set the portable tanks up so they drain uphill."

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

Montour Falls is pretty drat sweet. It's seriously like the NYS Fireman's Resort and Training Facility. Granite urinal dividers, that's all I'm going to say.

Hah, I wish we got sent away for training too. Everything is in house and done at Randall's Island.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

Hah, I wish we got sent away for training too. Everything is in house and done at Randall's Island.

You missed out. It's in the middle of nowhere. The grounds are awesome. The beds and stuff are pretty comfortable. The lounges were sweet. The food was loving *fantastic*. We had some real good steak one night. And for those over 21(I wasn't at the time), there's a bar right across the street that everyone goes to at night.

You gotta find a way to get there!

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

You missed out. It's in the middle of nowhere. The grounds are awesome. The beds and stuff are pretty comfortable. The lounges were sweet. The food was loving *fantastic*. We had some real good steak one night. And for those over 21(I wasn't at the time), there's a bar right across the street that everyone goes to at night.

You gotta find a way to get there!

Dude I stayed multiple times at the NYS Fire Academy on SRLFD's dime before you ever thought of being a member. I know you're lying :downs:.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

Dude I stayed multiple times at the NYS Fire Academy on SRLFD's dime before you ever thought of being a member. I know you're lying :downs:.

Oh. I thought you were saying you never got the chance. Meh, whatever. I thought it was an awesome place.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Hey,do you guys have any interest in starting an A/T thread with me? I feel like if we had a well put together A/T thread we might be able to generate a little more interest than this thread being tucked away in a forum that no one visits.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Hey,do you guys have any interest in starting an A/T thread with me? I feel like if we had a well put together A/T thread we might be able to generate a little more interest than this thread being tucked away in a forum that no one visits.

A/T about what exactly? And there's been A/T firefighting threads here and there for years, none of em last.

edit:

Kashew posted:

Oh. I thought you were saying you never got the chance. Meh, whatever. I thought it was an awesome place.

I would go again if someone was paying me to go out there, but unfortunately my department does about 99.9% of things in house.

senor punk fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Houston needs to start taking applications :(

invision
Mar 2, 2009

:psyduck:

invision fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 10, 2011

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So what's the trick to pulling hose?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

So what's the trick to pulling hose?

"I'm a firefighter."

No, but seriously, grab a looped end off the hosebed, toss it over your shoulder and go.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

"I'm a firefighter."

No, but seriously, grab a looped end off the hosebed, toss it over your shoulder and go.

Think of it like pulling a bunch of chains that you have to flake out along the way.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

There's also my personal favorite method of pulling hose called "now where did that adapterr go?"

Basically, say "where did that adapter go?" then walk around and if anyone asks you to help you say "I'm trying to find the 5 to 2.5 adapter, can't, sorry."

e:I'm just kidding, don't be this guy.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

The joke is that there's no legitimate reason to go from 5" to 2.5" without a distributor of some sort (not an adapter), right?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I'm gonna buy some PSA's for this area to educate people on the difference between a yard and a house, damnit.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Any recommendations for fire gloves that don't suck? I have some cheapo's that the liner pulls out of every time you pull your hand out, then it takes like 5 minutes to get your hand back in the drat thing.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Kashew posted:

How often do firefighters have bachelors degrees? Also, with a degree in biochemistry why did you decide to become one? Other guys feel free to chime in.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

lizardking posted:

How often do firefighters have bachelors degrees? Also, with a degree in biochemistry why did you decide to become one? Other guys feel free to chime in.

I know in my FD it was like...50% or less had a Bachelor's, I think? And I do it(or did it, at this point) because it's fun, rewarding and a bunch of other cliche reasons.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Kashew posted:

I know in my FD it was like...50% or less had a Bachelor's, I think? And I do it(or did it, at this point) because it's fun, rewarding and a bunch of other cliche reasons.

Ah cool. I play hockey on a firefighter/paramedic team and was thinking about applying for an on-call position after school ends. Hopefully they'll be able to put in a good word for me.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

lizardking posted:

Ah cool. I play hockey on a firefighter/paramedic team and was thinking about applying for an on-call position after school ends. Hopefully they'll be able to put in a good word for me.

I could never do it as a career. There's just too much politics in it.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

invision posted:

Any recommendations for fire gloves that don't suck? I have some cheapo's that the liner pulls out of every time you pull your hand out, then it takes like 5 minutes to get your hand back in the drat thing.

I'll take a look at the ones I've got when I go in on Wednesday. They're pretty good, and the liner has stayed good and attached so far. Good protection too. Downside is they're pricey like nothing else.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

I could never do it as a career. There's just too much politics in it.

That's in the volley world, not the paid world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

That's in the volley world, not the paid world.

When I did EMS, it seemed like that's all it was. Not like every year elections political, but it's infected with local political machine bullcrap. I mean it could have been just at that point in that situation it seemed that way.

• Locked thread