Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

invision posted:

Is it wrong to want to get toned out to something?

In a sense yes, but it's somewhat expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
I mean, you can wish for a fire alarm without feeling bad, but who wants one of those?

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

I mean, you can wish for a fire alarm without feeling bad, but who wants one of those?

All I ever wish for is an elevator, a patient that walks, or BLS backup. After that it's all good.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Is it wrong to want to get toned out to something?

Nope! I am here to do my job. Had a crappy tease at 1 am Double Residence with Entrapment. Food on stove. I have not had a good fire in a month. Been on room and contents but nothing good.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Well, it's new years eve.
Enjoy all of the awesome drunk-driving extrications tonight.
And grass fires.

e:someone in a big department, please adopt my fd. We can't afford loving radios. Grant money? More like 2-years-too-late money.

e2:and by adopt I mean please send us your old radios. We're all analog, so whatever works you know?

e3:also some of that globe g-extreme bunker gear would be realllllllllll nice.

invision fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 31, 2010

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

e:someone in a big department, please adopt my fd. We can't afford loving radios. Grant money? More like 2-years-too-late money.

e2:and by adopt I mean please send us your old radios. We're all analog, so whatever works you know?

e3:also some of that globe g-extreme bunker gear would be realllllllllll nice.

Analog Radios are the way to go. Digital Radio's are firefighter killers. I believe there was a Mayday in Texas where someone could not get help because of the radio. They said that it was user error not the stupid piece of poo poo that the city overpaid for. How the gently caress can you say in your right mind you need to be in a quiet area to talk in a loving fire? Holy poo poo that is dumb. Sorry my rant is done there.

You do not want my gear after it is done. We are issued 2 sets of gear under five years old.

The G-extreme gear is not all that anyway. Look at the new Morning Pride stuff. It is actually made well. I have 2 sets of the G-extreme at the moment. I miss my old morning pride. I have the middle of the road and the best G-extreme stuff.

Small Departments never ever freaking ask large departments to hop onto bids. We buy fire gear in bulk but its middle of the road style stuff. It is still decent. We get deals of leather boots ( we are issued rubbers ) and leather helmets. Since we have to always work off the bid system its always lowest possible and in my State if you hop onto that bid they have to give you that price.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Loco179 posted:

Analog Radios are the way to go. Digital Radio's are firefighter killers. I believe there was a Mayday in Texas where someone could not get help because of the radio. They said that it was user error not the stupid piece of poo poo that the city overpaid for. How the gently caress can you say in your right mind you need to be in a quiet area to talk in a loving fire? Holy poo poo that is dumb. Sorry my rant is done there.

You do not want my gear after it is done. We are issued 2 sets of gear under five years old.

The G-extreme gear is not all that anyway. Look at the new Morning Pride stuff. It is actually made well. I have 2 sets of the G-extreme at the moment. I miss my old morning pride. I have the middle of the road and the best G-extreme stuff.

Small Departments never ever freaking ask large departments to hop onto bids. We buy fire gear in bulk but its middle of the road style stuff. It is still decent. We get deals of leather boots ( we are issued rubbers ) and leather helmets. Since we have to always work off the bid system its always lowest possible and in my State if you hop onto that bid they have to give you that price.

Yeah, I agree, digital sucks for tactical. But, we can't afford analog radios as it is, and I don't see us going to digital or 800 any time soon, thankfully.

With that said, I'm pretty sure my gear is ~10 years old. It's ratty as hell, and my coat has big splotches of tar from a melting roof all over it. And my lid is a huuuuuuuuuuuge piece of poo poo that doesn't adjust properly to my head, has tar all over it, a crack in the shield, and the rubber around the edge is coming off.

Being a *real* firefighter must be awesome.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Well tons of grants out there. You would not freaking believe the wasted poo poo people have bought on grants. Does a FD with only 2 story houses really need a 100 foot tower ladder or a huge heavy rescue when there are 5 already in that county. We even get grants for all sorts of stupid poo poo. We bought 90 more SCBA's this year to replace 90 8 years old units off a freaking grant! I think this is going to dry up soon. There are services that specialize in getting grants. Talk to them.

There is a program for fire department that are not doing so hot to get surplus equipment and trucks. We donate hose and stuff to them but our poo poo is horrible when we are done with it. On the other hand smaller departments donate stuff that is nicer than our new stuff.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Backdraft was on sale today at the mall. $9.00 for the special anniversary edition.

Hell yeah.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
We had our gear inspection for FF1 last night and my helmet got a no-go...for being made in 1988 :psyduck:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Another training fire tonight. I feel like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Cage Kicker posted:

We had our gear inspection for FF1 last night and my helmet got a no-go...for being made in 1988 :psyduck:

Don't feel bad. I burned the poo poo out of my knees last night because of how lovely my bunker gear is. Pretty sure my lid was made in the mid-90's.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Yeah, turns out hard hats and helmets have an expiration date.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

invision posted:

Don't feel bad. I burned the poo poo out of my knees last night because of how lovely my bunker gear is. Pretty sure my lid was made in the mid-90's.

Ahaha my pants got a no-go too, they're too old. I am assured that I'll have new stuff "before the live burn." :toot:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I'm not wearing a shirt.

I got new bunker gear.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Our dispatchers are... not good?

" _______ Fire Department, _______ Fire Department, there's a uh... telephone pole on fire in front of George's Tavern."

Thanks for the address lady, especially since it was outside of our district and the original department didn't have people to respond. Luckily I'm an alcoholic so I knew where it was :)

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.

invision posted:

Our dispatchers are... not good?

" _______ Fire Department, _______ Fire Department, there's a uh... telephone pole on fire in front of George's Tavern."

Thanks for the address lady, especially since it was outside of our district and the original department didn't have people to respond. Luckily I'm an alcoholic so I knew where it was :)

Our dispatchers get I87 and I787 mixed up all the time. It's horrible.

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.
What frustrates me the most is when we get calls that come from PD or other similar agencies. I've been dispatched to calls in subway stations where all we get are an intersection and nothing else. Show up at 42nd St and 7 Ave (the middle of Times Square), ask a dispatcher where our "sick" patient is, only to have them ask us if there is a subway station there. Cue 20 minutes of walking up and down the largest station in the system looking for someone, who they had ended up taking to an office deep inside the station. What if the person had actually been sick? Every thing that was done on that call made it more difficult for us to find the person in question.

That's actually one of my pet peeves about our dispatch system. No matter where the call is we always get an intersection or some sort of address. If you see W178 St/Fort Washington Ave you are supposed to know that is the George Washington Bridge. If you see Imlay and Browne Street in Brooklyn you are going to the Cruise Ship terminal and potentially on a boat (motherfucker!!). A friend once got dispatched to JFK airport from Manhattan and if I remember right was given the address of JFK Expressway/JFK Expressway. WTF!

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

if I remember right was given the address of JFK Expressway/JFK Expressway. WTF!

That's ridiculous. But you know, fixing that would take like an extra 2 hours of programming work, dude. TWO WHOLE HOURS!

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
dispatchers take a special pleasure in giving confusing addresses. I once got told that a call could be at two possible intersections on the same street but they were 20 miles apart. I went to the wrong intersection first.

Crazy Dutchman
Oct 20, 2004
I started my EMS career working in a rural area. In one county alone there were five streets named Pine, 20 or more miles apart. Sometimes the numbers can give a clue to a more specific location, but of course our dispatchers would often fail to get the city name.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I started my EMS career working in a rural area. In one county alone there were five streets named Pine, 20 or more miles apart. Sometimes the numbers can give a clue to a more specific location, but of course our dispatchers would often fail to get the city name.

We have "allen" "alum" "alums" and "allens" all in one town. It usually goes like this:

"County SO to Fire Department, please respond to 1326 Allens"
"SO, 432, was that alums?"
"432, roger, allen."
"SO, 463, was that allen or alums?"
"Please respond to 1326 alum"

:psyduck:

In good, not complaining news, we had a new guy show up to the meeting tonight. I'm no longer the lowest on the totem pole.

invision fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 25, 2011

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Had my first All Call the other day. Overhead sprinkler system pipe burst in a nursing home.

I am now qualified to use a squeegee.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
The most fun I ever had was in a basement filled with 2 inches of heating fuel. We dumped so much loving kitty litter down there. We basically filled the basement with 3 inches of it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Crossposted from the AI stupid pictures thread:

Anyone notice anything off about this?

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
But how was he supposed to know there was a fire hydrant there when the parking spot is all covered with snow!

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

The most fun I ever had was in a basement filled with 2 inches of heating fuel. We dumped so much loving kitty litter down there. We basically filled the basement with 3 inches of it.

I stopped by the firehouse last night to catch up with some people and I noticed your stats for last year were non-existent. Are you all burned out?

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

I stopped by the firehouse last night to catch up with some people and I noticed your stats for last year were non-existent. Are you all burned out?

Completely. I'd still love to do firefighting, but not there.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Look bro, if you say "my fire alarms goin' off and I see smoke" and we show up and can't find anything, even with the FLIR, then there's no fire. Also, pay for my gas thanks.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

Also, pay for my gas thanks.

Yearly retention checks ftw. Even if they are just like $300.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Yearly retention checks ftw. Even if they are just like $300.

Must be nice. :smith:

(but seriously, I'm always like 20 seconds too slow to the station, and the majority of our calls are at least 10 miles away, and I get roughly 14mpg. It's killin' me.)

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

Must be nice. :smith:

(but seriously, I'm always like 20 seconds too slow to the station, and the majority of our calls are at least 10 miles away, and I get roughly 14mpg. It's killin' me.)

Ahhh, you're in bumfuck where you drive to the scene if you don't make the rig? Alright. I see how that sucks.

And yes, retention checks are nice. It works out to about a dollar for every call, drill, and work detail. I guess we justify it by putting a yearly value on our services by calculating total man hours provided at something like $10 or 15 an hour? We're handing out a few thousand in retention checks instead of a few million in pay checks.

Kashew fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 27, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

Ahhh, you're in bumfuck where you drive to the scene if you don't make the rig? Alright. I see how that sucks.

And yes, retention checks are nice. It works out to about a dollar for every call, drill, and work detail. I guess we justify it by putting a yearly value on our services by calculating total man hours provided at something like $10 or 15 an hour? We're handing out a few thousand in retention checks instead of a few million in pay checks.

It's just kinda frustrating. The problem (for me at least) would be solved if we had money for radios, that way I could just be like "hey, I'm 10 seconds away from the station, lemme catch a ride." I hate being a little bit too slow and having to follow right behind the truck to a call 20+ miles away, just to show up and have em go "oh, fires out, lets go home"

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

invision posted:

It's just kinda frustrating. The problem (for me at least) would be solved if we had money for radios, that way I could just be like "hey, I'm 10 seconds away from the station, lemme catch a ride." I hate being a little bit too slow and having to follow right behind the truck to a call 20+ miles away, just to show up and have em go "oh, fires out, lets go home"

Y'all need iamresponding.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Kashew posted:

:10bux:

senor punk
Nov 6, 2003

Keep the faith, baby.

Kashew posted:

I saw that when I stopped by the firehouse the other day. Interesting concept, and not surprising in the least that they bought into it, since that department has to work to find ways to spend all the loving money that they get each year.

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009

senor punk posted:

I saw that when I stopped by the firehouse the other day. Interesting concept, and not surprising in the least that they bought into it, since that department has to work to find ways to spend all the loving money that they get each year.

FD #11 got it first and it really helps fill out engines when antsy drivers(read: all drivers) want to leave right when there's 2 other people on board. The only reason the old timers bought into it was that we had a 6 month trial that they got to see in action before we had to actually bring it to the membership. It's had a very real positive effect on responses and no one can really argue with paying the pittance of a subscription fee.

Kashew fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 27, 2011

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So we went from having ~2 calls all month to having 5 separate calls today.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

invision posted:

So we went from having ~2 calls all month to having 5 separate calls today.

I spent my overnight digging out hydrants.

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

e: n/m

invision fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 27, 2011

• Locked thread