Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loco179
May 18, 2008

FooGoo posted:

Speaking for large municipal departments (Los Angeles specifically), I've been hearing more and more that you really need to have your Paramedic nowadays to be competitive. I also know of candidates working as EMTs, with fire certs and academy, HAZMAT, Explorer and volunteer work not being able to find a job.

With that said, are my chances of getting hired as a Trainee essentially nil unless I take ~2-3 years off work to get my medic and certs? Are the days of hiring guys off the street and sending them through the training over?

We still take them off the street. We are supposed to run 40-80 next year though. We will get like 10k or so apps. This is in Indy btw. Military, Paramedic, College is a huge plus. This is all rumor. I am betting within 3 years we will need a few hundred being about 150 have over 30 years in and like 500 have at least twenty.

You need to study for the general ed exam. I scored around a 93ish when I got in but mine was a previous cert class. Last time we did our off the street process the min. score to get hired was 95ish. Get ready to compete for a job.

Our fire load is very good. Subs are averaging 10-15 fires a month ( they float the city ). Half the trucks average some type of fire a shift. We do EMS but not transport. Only about 300 or so fire paramedics out of maybe 1200ish. 46 engines, 21 Ladder and 5 Squads ( the little ones ). We cover about 5/8 of Indy at the moment and moving up. Good pay, decent benefits, retirement takes some explaining.

Loco179 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loco179
May 18, 2008

FooGoo posted:

Are fire certs typically transferrable from state to state? Since my hopes of getting a spot as a trainee anywhere in CA is pretty much nil, would it be a dumb move to get a trainee spot in another state and hope to transfer to Cali in a few years?

Also, will military FF experience be a big plus or will it just be grouped with military experience?

Sorry man Cali is pretty hosed. I heard Cal Fire is hiring for contract work though. Do not expect serious work out of them. Since Cal is basically out of cash I would advise you to move and start someplace else. Get your Paramedic Cert and go from there.

Military time helps but not really any certs besides Paramedic. Airports hire Mil guys but it is a stepping stone. Thing is a lot of what you learn in Mil classes is specific for the Military ( like searching with a hand line....lmao! ). It is a good base but when your in recruit class get ready for tons of specific training.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Someone else post in here please :(

Lesson I Learned Today:

"These carbon fiber SCBA tanks will fuckin' explode if you drop 'em!"

Must have not been a Scott. We use those at work. Have seen them seriously hosed up. Never ever had a issue ever. Those carbon fiber tanks rock.

Speaking of SCBA. We are helping testing these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7tjnQDsrP4

Apparently a whole Bat. is supposed to have them in 2011-12 for their scheduled replacement packs.

Loco179 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 23, 2010

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Yeppers I know. I think they were just trying to prove a point.

I had some questions about it though. You keep your mouth shut when a Deputy Chief is talking about it. I wondered about bottle changes. I know they will fit our Scott regs because that is what they are using. Apparently they did well in the flashover chambers phase 1 and 2. They are going into training burns soon. They are supposed to be out in the busy company's this summer for testing.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Oh no. I know you were not. There are questions that need to be asked.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Its too cold here to do anything!

Say hello to steam coming from a building runs...lol

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Is it wrong to want to get toned out to something?

Nope! I am here to do my job. Had a crappy tease at 1 am Double Residence with Entrapment. Food on stove. I have not had a good fire in a month. Been on room and contents but nothing good.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

e:someone in a big department, please adopt my fd. We can't afford loving radios. Grant money? More like 2-years-too-late money.

e2:and by adopt I mean please send us your old radios. We're all analog, so whatever works you know?

e3:also some of that globe g-extreme bunker gear would be realllllllllll nice.

Analog Radios are the way to go. Digital Radio's are firefighter killers. I believe there was a Mayday in Texas where someone could not get help because of the radio. They said that it was user error not the stupid piece of poo poo that the city overpaid for. How the gently caress can you say in your right mind you need to be in a quiet area to talk in a loving fire? Holy poo poo that is dumb. Sorry my rant is done there.

You do not want my gear after it is done. We are issued 2 sets of gear under five years old.

The G-extreme gear is not all that anyway. Look at the new Morning Pride stuff. It is actually made well. I have 2 sets of the G-extreme at the moment. I miss my old morning pride. I have the middle of the road and the best G-extreme stuff.

Small Departments never ever freaking ask large departments to hop onto bids. We buy fire gear in bulk but its middle of the road style stuff. It is still decent. We get deals of leather boots ( we are issued rubbers ) and leather helmets. Since we have to always work off the bid system its always lowest possible and in my State if you hop onto that bid they have to give you that price.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Well tons of grants out there. You would not freaking believe the wasted poo poo people have bought on grants. Does a FD with only 2 story houses really need a 100 foot tower ladder or a huge heavy rescue when there are 5 already in that county. We even get grants for all sorts of stupid poo poo. We bought 90 more SCBA's this year to replace 90 8 years old units off a freaking grant! I think this is going to dry up soon. There are services that specialize in getting grants. Talk to them.

There is a program for fire department that are not doing so hot to get surplus equipment and trucks. We donate hose and stuff to them but our poo poo is horrible when we are done with it. On the other hand smaller departments donate stuff that is nicer than our new stuff.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Crazy Dutchman posted:

If you ever want to get paid to fight fire, then yes. I don't know about where you are, but here in Texas, EMT-B is pretty much the minimum, and you should really get your Medic if you want to get a career gig.

Yep forget those stupid fire science programs. Noone cares!!! Any retard can pass that program.

Get your Paramedic! That will open doors!

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Crazy Dutchman posted:

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but in Texas, this is absolutely the case. The departments that do require college hours to apply, don't care what they are in, but many either require or prefer applicants with their Paramedic certification. They don't have to worry about paying applicants while they are at school, or if they can pass the test or not.

The only person that failed the state fire exam was the class retard, but many of the folks in my medic class had to take the test more than once (including me), and several never went on to get their cert.

Now whether the trend of making everyone a Paramedic or even combining fire/EMS is a good one is a whole nother ball of wax.

We have a fire science program here that tells people they will get hired if they go. Meanwhile noone wants them because they would rather put people though their own fire recruit school. So we have hundreds of kids running around with their fire science degree with no idea why noone is hiring them. Meanwhile noone can get enough medics to staff their trucks.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
We have a ton of guys that go to guard duty. It does not affect their employment at all.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Are leathers really that much better?

Oh god yes! Take it from someone who spends 8-12 hours a shift in them.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
This is our current "upgrade" spec boots. I have had these for like 4 months now with no issues. I will more than likely get another pair in a few months.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_6421_globe_footgear_supreme_14_structural_fire_boot_pull_on_nfpa/

Dude your feet will thank you so much. Last shift got out of the shower and had to put boot on without socks! In our rubber boots that would have destroyed my feet. I spent the next 2 hours with comfortable feet.

Story time! We mostly wear shorts as duty uniform. We had multiple tornadoes touch down. So basically I spent the next 14 hours walking and working in destroyed buildings and deep water. We did everything from searching collapse zones to large area building clearings. Everyone with rubber boots feet were destroyed. Rub marks on my legs were huge and painful.

IMHO boots, gloves and a good hood are the best investments you can make.

Hands down best fire gloves made at the moment. No liner to pull, actual being able to use your hands when wet, and does not get hard after drying.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb3446174.htm

Get a longer hood than normal. Trust me neck burns suck rear end.

DO NOT GET THAT PRETTY LEATHER HELMET until you get this stuff. Get stuff to make your job easier.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Always take the ones with the chain of command answers. Just saying. Slow shift at work today. Only 5 runs and Hazmat training today so far. I cannot wait till it gets warmer.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

e:Since we've been talking about gear lately, what kind of helmet lights do you guys use? I'm thinking about getting a new one since my wal-mart energizer LED headlight melted. I saw a pretty neat looking one on the internet a while back that used the blackjack holder, and had a blue LED on the back of the flashlight to make it easier for people to follow you, but it was like $130+.

Do not be that guy. Seriously. Get a good chest light like this

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_4295_streamlight_survivor_led_4aa_alkaline_model/

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Revolvyerom posted:

Maybe you guys can answer better than AI here: During fire training, when they got to class D fires (self-combusting metals and the like), they warned us to be cautious of old cars with magnesium in the block (some old VW's I think, and a handful of others), because if the engine or rim cracked during the crash, you could end up with such a fire and not be aware of it. Has anyone here heard of that happening, or was that another "my friend's cousin's sister in law once heard..." legend? I find it difficult to believe that any manufacturer would not bother to use a non-terrifyingly-dangerous alloy of magnesium. Wikipedia offers anecdotal evidence of magnesium alloy tire rims without a citation, so that's useless.

A ton of them have it in various parts. See it all the time. Its pretty funny to hit it with a line. We just soak it anyway. Most of our engines do not have built it foam systems so that is not a option.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

e:Since we've been talking about gear lately, what kind of helmet lights do you guys use? I'm thinking about getting a new one since my wal-mart energizer LED headlight melted. I saw a pretty neat looking one on the internet a while back that used the blackjack holder, and had a blue LED on the back of the flashlight to make it easier for people to follow you, but it was like $130+.

Do not be that guy.

They melt too much. Get a good chest light and a light box with a strap.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
People do not understand putting water on it makes a huge freaking mess. We had a overturned tanker ( part of HazMat taskforce here) and had a HazMat box and a fire box. The guys from the smaller different department wanted to foam a gas spill with a ATFF truck. This was on a on-ramp, only like 300-400 gallons of gasoline, and in a safe area. The road was under-construction so dirt was everywhere anyway. We built a series of dirt dikes and called it a day. After we left they ended up foaming it anyway...lol You cannot fix stupid.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Kashew posted:

Also, foam is great because it suffocates hidden hot spots in structures. For a car fire, you can just encase the drat thing in CAFS(compressed air foam system, meaning like 3% water...it's kind of like whipped cream) within a minute and it'll just go out and save cars nearby and you only use like 10 gallons of water so you don't have to waste time hooking up to a standpipe.

Do not forgot any gadget or new trend does not make up for some good old overhaul. If it is a hidden part it needs to be opened up. I have seen departments waste thousands of dollars on foam or water additives. People tend to not use common sense and remember the basics.

We do not use CAFS or carry foam tanks anymore. Its a cool concept and I see the purpose of it.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Each Engine carries like one bucket of foam. The older engines used to have 30 gal. foam tanks. That is what I meant.

You know nothing beats good old overhauling and a TIC. If your Ladder company's are doing their job those hotspots should be all exposed and ready for water.

Here is a good one.

Straight or Fog? When I was on a Engine we used break a parts. The fog tip was in your pocket of the nozzleman. It seems with a straight you control everything better and use less water. You also do not steam yourself.

Whats tools do you grab? I carry a 6 foot Boston Rake, halligan and a TIC. I have my chest light ( LED Survivor FTW!). Radio turned off normally ( we use a digital 800 system that feedbacks bad).

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Honestly, both have their place, and saying "X over Y because..." is kind of ridiculous. Saying "Well, I prefer X in situation A because of Z, as opposed to using Y because..." is much better IMO.

Also steam expands and cools, etc.

fake e: Decent reading

http://www.firetactics.com/3dff.pdf

Not really....The fire department has trends and textbooks change. Based on experience you can say what is going to work. Unless you department has tons of money they cannot carry every tool. We normally carry only what works.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Me:"I'm with the fire department, someone called you in and made it sound worse than it was. No worries, though, you're good to go."
Him:"DIS SOME RACIST rear end BOOSHIT. ITS CAUSE IM BLACK AINT IT? MAN gently caress DIS YOU WHITE PEOPLE BURN ALL THA drat TIME AN IM JUS TRYINA CLEAN SOME poo poo UP. BUNCH OF RACIST MOTHERFUCKERS!"

cue him yelling at me for like 5 minutes. The gently caress man?

At that point I would have called someone back to put it out and then the cops. Here if someone calls even for a smoke scare it has to be put out. If we tell you your cool then thank us and move on.

Treating people like poo poo trying to be cool to you is Bullshit.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Ummm wow! That is retarded.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Indianapolis Fire Department is doing a process. First class is supposed to be 25 firefighters. Indy.gov look at jobs. You can apply online. Only a week left to apply.

IFD takes guys without training. Even with certs you go back though everything ( just do not have to do state tests ). Your end of class ranking is your seniority. IFD has about 1300 firefighters with 46 stations. We do ALS nontransport, HAZMAT, RESCUE, pretty much everything you want to do they will pay for you to go. In 150 years IFD has never laid a firefighter off.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Is there a way that I could test for that without actually flying to indy?

e:is there a way to test for out-of-state or other-side-of-the-state departments without actually being there? Like some kind of testing facility or something?

No way. You have to be scheduled to take a written test.

I have not heard of anyone doing testing that way. I think its a way of weeding ppl out.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Sorry man but 80% of our job is EMS. A huge majority of large Fire Departments are mostly paramedics. If you are doing a Fire Science Degree you are wasting a shitload of your money. Most places will not even look at you unless you are a paramedic. I always researched the area where I applied. If you do not even know your most active areas, then you do not know your area. Its all about service and need.

I feel so sorry for you guys that are trying to get jobs. Remember to study the exam guides and do the study sessions. Remember the fire department hiring process is about who wants it the most.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

senor punk posted:

I'm aware of all of that. But testing on someone's familiarity with the locality does not say anything about their abilities, it just gives bias to people from the area. Someone who is good with directions and learning their way around a city will learn that in a few months time, and it shouldn't even matter since how often do the brand new guys drive?

If the department needs paramedics then require applicants to be medics, or work something into the system to reward people who show up as paramedics, but I think the test itself should be a level playing field for anyone taking that.

Sorry man I see that as some effort to get to know the department your applying for. You have to go beyond what they want now. I always researched the department and area I was applying for. I guess experience pays off. Most places already reward people for being paramedics. I honestly feel sorry for someone that is not a paramedic...lol They will not say that is what they are looking for. It really is what they are looking for.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
They want them so much that just being a Paramedic almost puts you at the max for education in a promotional process. If you look at most big fire departments you see them doing more and more EMS.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Honey Badger posted:

How hard is to actually get a foot in the door if I want to look into this as a career? I'm about to graduate with a liberal arts degree but I've always really wanted to do something more hands-on with my life, firefighting always seemed like a very rewarding career path. I'll be getting out with a 3.9 GPA and I'm pretty fit, but I don't know what I should be doing in terms of preparation. What would make me more competitive (aside from things like veteran points that I don't have)? Do I need to start as a volunteer and just kick rear end at it in the hopes that I get a job offer?

Basically, do I even have a chance?

Well this is the deal. Departments are hurting for cash at the moment. We have like 200 retirements in less than a year. We have almost 500 with over 20 who can retire. We are going to ride the overtime bus until we can. It is cheaper to pay overtime than hire.

Good news is that you have about 2-5 years before large departments really start hiring again. If you really want this job, you have to do EMS. Paramedics are what departments want now. You might have to move. The pay depends on your state and that is a huge thing.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Dickhead helmets and mounted face shields to helmets make me laugh. Never been a MSA fan. I prefer the Scott packs.

Is anyone else wearing black gear? Seems a lot of places still have tan. We are wearing globe extreme at the moment. It is really nice light and fitting gear. Our "extra" choice boots are the globe leather pull ups as well. Very nice boots.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Certs vary state to state. Paramedic though is pretty much accepted everywhere though the NREMT bullshit. Most large departments have their own recruit class or school. We put everyone ( even certified ) though EMT and Firefighting class. We do this because of the quality of training involved. The end product has to be good or the old guys will eat the training guys for lunch...lol

I know Texas is a very Paramedic heavy state. Where I live ( Indiana ) is not a very paramedic heavy state. I always always advise anyone to get their paramedic. Fire training is ok but quality varies greatly and large departments know this.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Most large departments send you though a recruit class. Heck even if your a Paramedic you redo EMT class. It is just making sure you know your stuff. So many schools now just pencil whip things. Even our County ambulance service does a 3 month recruit class.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Crazy Dutchman posted:

From my experience, unless you work at a large, traditional department, you are going to be doing both engine and truck work, regardless of what apparatus you actually rode to the call. My dept has two trucks (quints, technically), but you may end up doing engine work on the truck, and vice versa. I don't care for ladders all that much either, but ground ladders are basic FF skills, so you gotta know them.

Quints are the devil. Even if we own a quint all of the hose has been taken off. I think we only have one of 26 ladders that is a quint left. That pump takes up too much room. Our truck companies carry our light extrication stuff. Try getting that poo poo in with a pump. Plus all the stuff to make you a good truck. That ladder should be sitting pretty in front in all its glory...lol

Loco179
May 18, 2008

invision posted:

Powercone Vs Straight Stream (not smoothbore, I'm talking fog nozzle straight stream.) Thoughts/opinions? I realize this is a really broad question, but I got into an argument over when to use what earlier tonight and it's driving me nuts.

We have this debate a lot at work. Being a Squad guy I rarely touch a hose line unless its really bad or a Engine is being slow. I was on a Engine for a few years though.

Honestly it really depends on the area you work. I moved from a newer construction area to a mostly balloon frame and ordinary construction area. Water supply is also a huge issue. Even though I work for a decent sized city, we still have areas that simply do not have water supply. That means tanker ( or tender ) operations that really suck rear end. I guess I can go over some of the benefits.

Fog nozzles cool off everything. All thermal layers are all messed up. If you need to soak everything down this would be a good choice.

Smooth bores keep your thermal layers intact. It is all about putting the water where you want it. Your reach is there. You do not use as much water. These tend to have higher gpm as well.

At work we use low pressure, high gallon nozzles. Also we use break apart nozzles. The fog tip comes off and you can use it as a smooth bore. Alot of times the nozzle man will put the fog tip in his pocket and wait till overhaul to get the fog tip out. The low pressure nozzles are amazing. They are so easy to work with and they actually bend when humping them.

I prefer the smooth tips. I like to get in close and put the fire out. A nice Z pattern will put out a room and contents really fast. If its really going, I can get the water where I need it fast with some good volume. Then I can move in more. You can strip drywall with a small smooth tip in newer homes. Takes a few minutes and pisses Ladder guys off greatly. Bottom line is knowing your area and building construction. Choose what you like and roll with it.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
After wearing my bunkers for an average of 12 hours a shift, I would highly recommend leather fire boots. We are issued rubber boots but we can "upgrade" them.

These are our current spec leather boots.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/13126/Globe-FootGear-Supreme-14-Structural-Fire-Boot-Pull-On-NFPA/

They are good ones.

Always always carry extra fire gloves and hoods. I carry 3 different types of gloves in my bunkers.

Best fire gloves I have ever ever worn.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/01/prweb3446174.htm

Most guys just wear them for everything. Get a few pairs of these.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

fjelltorsk posted:

Bolding mine,
even tho i am unfamiliar with your regs, policies and drills, i would suggest to never mark doors/rooms in a search evironment unless given direct order to mark doors for keeping control. Having different systems for marking/distinguishing rooms on the same scene is bad news. We also issue everyone with lightsticks to mark points of interests, couplings, adapters or hazard in low viz evironments.

just my 2cents from across the pond

Dude we would go though cases of light sticks a month. That is amazing. Our building construction really is what gives us so much business.

For the goon that was asking about gloves.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/01/prweb3446174.htm

Best gloves I have ever ever worn. They are amazing.

Loco179
May 18, 2008

Val Helmethead posted:

I can't agree more. My departments mentality is that the first 1/2 of your tank is your air to work. Get in, do your job. The next 1/4 of your air is your air to get out of the Hazardous area. The last quarter of air is your families air - it is only there to keep you alive if something bad happens and you can't make it out with the first 3/4 of the tank. We treat low air alarms as an emergency situation.

We also do a very aggressive rehab. One cylander and chances are you are done working for the incident. Maybe you'll go back in if there is low manpower and EMS clears you, but it is pretty much one and done for cylanders.

Is this for everything? What about single family dwelling fires?

Loco179
May 18, 2008

windshipper posted:

The previous department I worked at didn't have the 1 and done rule, but it was definitely 1/4 to get to your work, 1/4 to do your work, 1/4 to get out, and the last 1/4 was for your family.

edit: It was also a smaller department though, so... Man power on fires was always a big need. That said, you would be evaluated before being sent back in.

Wow just wow.

In Jan. we go to wearing a pack for overhaul. I guess this is where experience comes into play. The only time we really watch it is in extreme weather. Special teams have different rules. 1 and done rules are really just strange. As firefighters we should be physically fit, have experience and know our limits. I guess this comes from wearing your pack every third day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loco179
May 18, 2008

windshipper posted:

Minus the CO levels, it was basically the same for my old department as far as medical monitoring. You went to rehab, you got fluids, etc. and had your vitals measured and all by the medics and were either deemed fit to return or not. I'm not sure what the, "Wow just wow," by Loco was for... You left the fire, got checked out by the medics, and either went back in or didn't. We just never had the man power to support a one and done philosophy. Small town ( >25k people) fire departments with a mostly volunteer fire department just can NOT do that in most cases.

Bread and butter stuff very rarely has rehab. You have some drinks on the TSU you get when your switching tanks. We get extra companies in extreme cases but our first alarm assignment can handle it most of the time. Our average is like a hour on single dwelling fires. Sometimes people make this poo poo way too complicated. Why do you need CO2 monitoring if you have your pack on?

I was saying the wow to the 1/4 thing. If you can see the outside there is no reason to not stay and put in work. I guess its a culture thing. Ours is get in fast, get the job done, and leave because you might miss another fire. Its still not a big deal to see the old timers without their mask on.

Our light extrication task forces ( we have 18 which are a engine and ladder ) are getting the Hurst battery powered tools. Our heavy extrication companies are keeping their gas and vehicle powered models ( we have 4 which are a heavy rescue, engine, ladder, ALS light rescue ). They really seem to like them. http://www.jawsoflife.com/

Our single dwelling response is 3 engines ( 4 firefighters ), 2 ladders ( 4 firefighters ), ALS Rescue Squad ( 2 firefighters ) and BC ( one chief and aide ). Once marked working you get your 3rd ladder(RIT) , TSU ( air truck ), Safety Chief ( one chief ) and second BC ( chief and aide ), PIO car ( on duty car ), and arson ( one fire guy and one cop who work together ), EMS duty officer, and shift commander ( if above extra companies ). We send like 35ish firefighters.

• Locked thread