Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Machine Gun
Aug 22, 2006

what a fucking nightmare
What do ya'll think about Bad Books

I loving love it and I didn't see it mentioned in the thread, going to go see them at Bottom of the Hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
You Wouldn't Have To Ask, Please Move, and Holding Down The Laughter were great, but those were the only three real full-band collaborative efforts on the record. What made matters worse is that those 3 were the songs put out before the album release, and it led people to believe that the album would sound WAY different than it actually does. I was expecting a folky, upbeat rock album and instead I got 3 great songs i had already heard and a bunch of acoustic stuff that I wasn't really into. Mesa, AZ is good, but Jesus they really misled everyone.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

rideANDxORdie posted:

Hot Water Music

You mean gruff sounding dudes with guitars? Well poo poo yes I can, it's called anything out of Minneapolis since Rivethead. Banner Pilot's last album (Collapser, the last one to come out is a totally remaster and remix of their first full length), Off With Their Heads, and Dillinger Four.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Eight Is Legend posted:

Make Do and Mend's "End Measured Mile"

Holy crap buy this CD people.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

rideANDxORdie posted:

A million times yes.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

rideANDxORdie posted:

Yeah, it's a loving great album - one of 2010's best.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Hnnngg seeing Maylene w/ Protest the Hero in March. I missed Maylene last time they were in town but not this time.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Parachute Underwear posted:

Hnnngg seeing Maylene w/ Protest the Hero in March. I missed Maylene last time they were in town but not this time.

gently caress you - that's an awesome tour.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Eight Is Legend posted:

gently caress you - that's an awesome tour.

Man, I don't even really care about PtH (I might have a couple years ago) but I'll be damned if I'm missing Maylene. Last time they came in town I bought my tickets way early and forgot about the show, promptly got sick and slept through it :suicide:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Man, I don't even really care about PtH (I might have a couple years ago) but I'll be damned if I'm missing Maylene. Last time they came in town I bought my tickets way early and forgot about the show, promptly got sick and slept through it :suicide:

Last time Maylene came through Tampa, the venue they were booked at had some major budget problems and wasn't open for any shows.

Some of the bands even showed up, but never wound up playing. :(

And now, of course, this tour isn't anywhere near Tampa.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Where at? I hate Maylene but loving TESSERACT is on that tour, and Protest is one of my favorite bands.

deadwing posted:

Last time Maylene came through Tampa, the venue they were booked at had some major budget problems and wasn't open for any shows.

Some of the bands even showed up, but never wound up playing. :(

And now, of course, this tour isn't anywhere near Tampa.

I'm going to the show in Orlando. That's... about as far from Tampa as it is from Jacksonville, where I'm at.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Where at? I hate Maylene but loving TESSERACT is on that tour, and Protest is one of my favorite bands.

I'm going to the show in Orlando. That's... about as far from Tampa as it is from Jacksonville, where I'm at.

In Ottawa, Ontario. This is I think the second time they play here in the years I've listened to them.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Eight Is Legend posted:

As for Hot Water Music, try Make Do and Mend's "End Measured Mile" - been listening to that record a lot lately.

Wow, thank you! You've opened my eyes to this and Tides of Man, both bands are killer!

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

TheJetCityFix posted:

Wow, thank you! You've opened my eyes to this and Tides of Man, both bands are killer!

Awesome! It's sweet to see so many people checking out Make Do and Mend - "End Measured Mile" seems to get better each time I listen to it.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Eight Is Legend posted:

Awesome! It's sweet to see so many people checking out Make Do and Mend - "End Measured Mile" seems to get better each time I listen to it.

gently caress, just listened to this again - one of the best debuts this year.

Anyone who's into easycore (Four Year Strong, stuff like that), you listen to Me Vs Hero?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4BUKh4eZs

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

gently caress, just listened to this again - one of the best debuts this year.

Anyone who's into easycore (Four Year Strong, stuff like that), you listen to Me Vs Hero?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4BUKh4eZs

Oh man, put a link off their new full-length if you're gonna do that. They really stepped up their game on their old songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7h5fRBPm4

Here's my favourite off the full-length, there's a pretty decent amount of re-recordings (such as the song you posted) on there as well.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
New Thursday song: http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-music-thursday-reveal-edgy-new-album

Regular_John
Sep 22, 2006

Where da fuck da cocktail mang?
Brand New is my fav band, Devil and God era. Looking for some recommendations, no one is helping me in the rec thread.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Regular_John posted:

Brand New is my fav band, Devil and God era. Looking for some recommendations, no one is helping me in the rec thread.

Give the Republic of Wolves a shot. If you like the His Old Branches EP pick up Varuna.

Neat little side note, but someone put some of their songs online when Daisy was about to release as Brand New demos. Most people thought they were Brand New songs if memory serves.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 5, 2011

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

A bit disappointed this has to appear in the scenecore thread. Thursday is a great band even to most guys into the whole "skramz" business so I really think the punk label fits for them.

That said, the new song sounds like more of the Envy split type of stuff and I'm all up for that.

iron chic
Jul 1, 2010

Regular_John posted:

Try Balance & Composure and Seahaven

Regular_John
Sep 22, 2006

Where da fuck da cocktail mang?
Thanks! All great recommendations.

Edit: more please

Regular_John fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 7, 2011

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

NeilPerry posted:

A bit disappointed this has to appear in the scenecore thread. Thursday is a great band even to most guys into the whole "skramz" business so I really think the punk label fits for them.

That said, the new song sounds like more of the Envy split type of stuff and I'm all up for that.

I was considering posting it in the Punk/Hardcore thread, too, but I was lazy - you do it :) .

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Regular_John posted:

Thanks! All great recommendations.

Edit: more please

Manchester Orchestra. Both albums!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-hh8ijJFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66k0BL5faQ

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
So I spent the entire weekend listening to two albums, which is awesome since I really needed some new poo poo in my library.

The first is Bayside's fifth album, Killing Time. I didn't start listening to Bayside until The Walking Wounded. As a relatively new fan, this album rocks. It's definitely a step forward from Shudder, and it manages to be really catchy while still keeping a solid punk foundation (something All Time Low couldn't do). The gang vocals are a little overused, but that's a minor complaint for an otherwise great CD. Oh, and The Wrong Way has a pretty rad guitar solo, making up for the fact that the next track is bland as poo poo.

The other one is the debut from Craig Owens' new project, D.R.U.G.S. Chiodos was always a hit-or-miss band for me, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. However, I've been digging all of the singles that had been put out for the last like, four months. The album succeeds in prety much every way I wanted it to. It's got pieces of all of what I like in post-hardcore (or whatever the gently caress the genre is), with a little bit of Saosin, a little Signal the Escape, and a hell, a little Circa Survive. The weakest track is probably, I'm Here to Take the Sky, but it's still not bad by any means. The biggest surprise to me was the strength of the non-single tracks, like The Only Thing You Talk About, which has a killer breakdown after a spoken word line. Graveyard Dancing, The Hangman, and My Swagger Has a First Name all incorporate some strings and harmonizing along with the other instrumentals, creating a relatively unique sound that I like a lot.

The album is so good that I might venture seeing them on the AP Tour despite how embarrassing Black Veil Brides is.

Actually, that's a lie. They could be touring with a reunited Midtown, and I still wouldn't go. BVB is that loving awful.

Oh, and I See Stars also has an album coming out tomorrow, but meh.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right

Aggro posted:

Actually, that's a lie. They could be touring with a reunited Midtown, and I still wouldn't go. BVB is that loving awful.

Oh, and I See Stars also has an album coming out tomorrow, but meh.

First off, I misread your post at first and thought that a reunited Midtown was touring. I got way too excited for a split second until I realized what you meant.

Second, Black Veil Brides sucks, and the opening riff of their one big single sounds like a ripoff of "Unholy Confessions" by A7X back when A7X was still good.

Third, if I See Stars' new album is more like "What This Means to Me" and less like "every other track on that album", then I'll be stoked.

I'm tired of these post-hardcore bands (if that's what you want to call them) doing the weird noodly guitars with too many effects over syncopated drum beats. I'm looking at you Pierce the Veil, I See Stars, and the ilk.

EDIT: I See Stars' new album is called The End of the World Party, which reminds me of the line "If the world is ending, I'm throwing the party" from Cobra Starship, which was originally the intended title of Viva La Cobra.

OdorousTobacco fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 22, 2011

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004
Just a little tid bit of information about the new D.R.U.G.S. album, which I completely love.

There are actually three different versions of the song "The Only Thing You Talk About". The first version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XUTXPaE7qM&feature=related , was created while Craig was still with Chiodos and is, in my opinion, a masterpiece. The second version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvEzJpKg4ko&feature=related , was created after Craig left but still keeps the general body of the music. The third version, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQbmWYS0aS0 , is the one on the D.R.U.G.S. album which has Craig's lyrics.

I usually hate when bands do this, split the lyrics and the music up and create entirely new songs with each, but in this case it makes three loving fantastic songs.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Brand New is doing a mini tour in April.

April 26 -- Baltimore, MD -- Sonar
April 27 -- Philadelphia, PA -- Electric Factory
April 28 -- Allentown, PA -- Crocodile Rock Cafe
April 29 -- Pittsburgh, PA -- Club Zoo
April 30 -- Grantham, PA -- Brubaker Auditorium @ Messiah College

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Aggro posted:

So I spent the entire weekend listening to two albums, which is awesome since I really needed some new poo poo in my library.

The first is Bayside's fifth album, Killing Time. I didn't start listening to Bayside until The Walking Wounded. As a relatively new fan, this album rocks. It's definitely a step forward from Shudder, and it manages to be really catchy while still keeping a solid punk foundation (something All Time Low couldn't do). The gang vocals are a little overused, but that's a minor complaint for an otherwise great CD. Oh, and The Wrong Way has a pretty rad guitar solo, making up for the fact that the next track is bland as poo poo.

I have never really understood why some people like Bayside so much - Anthony's voice sounds kind of annoying to me and their music seems pretty run-of-the-mill, but I really like that Mona Lisa song of their newest CD. Maybe I should give them a chance, they might click this time. Also, Anthony just seems like a fun-hating tool on his blog, always talking about how THE SCENE is being destroyed and all that boring crap no one wants to hear about.

OdorousTobacco posted:

Third, if I See Stars' new album is more like "What This Means to Me" and less like "every other track on that album", then I'll be stoked.
Haha, this so much. That's pretty much the only song from them I listen to, I wonder what went wrong with the rest of the album.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Update: I got the new I See Stars album. I actually like it way better than 3-D, and it's far more accessible. The songs feel like songs, not just parts of songs thrown together.

That said, the lyrics are really hit or miss. Mostly miss. But the hooks are good, so I still dig it.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OdorousTobacco posted:

Update: I got the new I See Stars album. I actually like it way better than 3-D, and it's far more accessible. The songs feel like songs, not just parts of songs thrown together.

That is the problem with a lot of these bands, especially Abandon All Ships (who sucks balls anyway) - their songs have no structure, it's just various parts they think sound hardcore and br00tal.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
The Dear Hunter is releasing 9 EPs in June.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man Overboard have a new song streaming on their facebook, "The Absolute Worst". I'm not too big on it, it feels way too much like stereotypical pop-punk and not enough like what made Real Talk feel unique.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Jesus Christ, 9 EPs by the Dear Hunter?! Casey is a loving machine.

Also, upon several further listens, the lyrics on the new I See Stars SUCK. As I said, the hooks are still catchy, but the lyrics are terrible.

This to me is the problem with signing bands so young anymore: you get these kids straight out of high school, you stick them in a recording studio for 5 weeks, you send them on tour for two years, and then you expect them to be able to write a mature, thoughtful album when all they've done is be musicians for the end of their adolescence. No wonder you get songs like "High School Never Ends" and "My Friend Is Home For the Weekend" (both on the new I See Stars).

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

OdorousTobacco posted:

Jesus Christ, 9 EPs by the Dear Hunter?! Casey is a loving machine.

Also, upon several further listens, the lyrics on the new I See Stars SUCK. As I said, the hooks are still catchy, but the lyrics are terrible.

This to me is the problem with signing bands so young anymore: you get these kids straight out of high school, you stick them in a recording studio for 5 weeks, you send them on tour for two years, and then you expect them to be able to write a mature, thoughtful album when all they've done is be musicians for the end of their adolescence. No wonder you get songs like "High School Never Ends" and "My Friend Is Home For the Weekend" (both on the new I See Stars).

The lyrics on the first CD sucked too, that's nothing difference.

THE TIME HAS COME
FOR YOUR
ELIMINATION
YOU'RE DEAD :v:

Also, totally loving stoked for loving 35-ish new The Dear Hunter songs. Like, holy gently caress, I won't be able to listen to anything else for months.

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine

deadwing posted:

Also, totally loving stoked for loving 35-ish new The Dear Hunter songs. Like, holy gently caress, I won't be able to listen to anything else for months.

I'm worried that there's going to be a lot of filler. That's usually the case with big concept projects like this.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I saw that a Taking Back Sunday show was announced in my town. I laughed and then saw "All Original Members" and now I want to go. I kind of hate myself.

I was 15 when Tell All Your Friends came out, I think that's a good enough excuse.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
For what it's worth, I saw TBS when they toured with Anberlin and Envy on the Coast, and even with the group from New Again, they put on a pretty goddamn good show.

Then again, I actually liked the album, and Louder Now, so maybe my taste just blows. I mean, they're not as good as Tell All Your Friends/Where You Want to Be, but they're still great for driving music or study tunes.

On the subject of TBS, Fred's new group Terrible Things is touring with...Streetlight Manifesto for some reason. I'm intrigued, since I dig Terrible Things, and the last time I saw a ska band was when I was 14 and Less than Jake played at the Warped Tour.

And in totally unrelated news, Silverstein and Bayside are touring with Polar Bear Club, which means the show is going to loving rock.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I don't listen to TBS anymore but I used to love their two first albums as a teen and I'd be lying if Miami off their third isn't a catchy loving song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Aggro posted:

On the subject of TBS, Fred's new group Terrible Things is touring with...Streetlight Manifesto for some reason. I'm intrigued, since I dig Terrible Things, and the last time I saw a ska band was when I was 14 and Less than Jake played at the Warped Tour.

Streetlight is loving rad, I'm so jealous

• Locked thread