Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

Does anyone else shoot macro?

I exclusively shoot macro. I generally use my trusty Canon XTI and Sigma 105mm macro lense (like above). In certain situations I use my old Panasonic FZ8 and the wonderful Raynox DCR 150 and 250 lenses for some super macros (like below).

I thought it might be about time we had a place to discuss macro subjects and tactics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!
I'd love to get a decent macro lens for my Nikon, but its far down the list of things I need for my camera. Are extension tubes a decent substitute?

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

That's really the whole reason for this thread. I don't know anyhting about extension tubes, but I'd like to.

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010
'DON"T WORRY BRO, I'LL BE YOUR CREEPY INTERNET DETECTIVE WHITE KNIGHT WHEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT!!!! CALL 1800 WHITE DICK AND I'LL TRACK DOWN OLD PHOTOS OF PEOPLE WHO WERE MEAN TO YOU TODAY!!!!
Your spider pic is excellent, by the way.

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

Thanks. That photo was used for a fund raising event for the Bohart Museum of Entomology at the University of California at Davis. It's also part of my Minnesota Spider series here

How about you, what do you shoot with? Where do you look for subjects?

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Macro is fun on the side for me. I only have a macro lens for my film camera though so that's where all of my photos come from.

I did mess around with that lens reversal trick recently though:

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007
i like macros

(this guy landed on my jeans)

I used a minolta 100mm f/2.8 for all of these

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Flower Power posted:

I love this shot!

These were taken with the 50mm f/1.8 reversed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

sanka posted:

That reminds me of this guy's work I found on Flickr. Seeing that lot has made me move macro equipment up my wish list.

Crash Fistfight
Mar 29, 2007

First now I understood the true complexity of women.
Can someone explain this lens reversing for me?

I only have the 18-55mm 500D kit lens and a 75-400mm canon zoom lens. Will either one of these two get me halfway decent results if I attach a macro filter?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Crash Fistfight posted:

Can someone explain this lens reversing for me?

There are adapters that one can use to attach a lens to a camera in reverse. From what I can understand, this apparently moves the lens elements farther away from the sensor (like a bellows or extension tube would) and thusly gives you a shorter focusing distance and greater magnification. I think it only really works with lenses of smaller focal lengths (i.e., not telephotos), though I could be wrong.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 20, 2010

sanka
Aug 23, 2008

You can buy reversing rings at most photo places. B&H has a bunch. I have a few that I use rarely. It does work well, especially with a reversed 50mm on a kit lense, but your working distance can be literally millimeters. In situations like that I much prefer to use my Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250. They give a lot better working distance, with no noticeable loss in image quality. I love those little guys, and they are worth far more than they cost.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
I love me some macro

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I've been using an old Pentax 55mm M42 lens reversed against a Nikon zoom lens attached to a D40 for some fun macro shots. I posted a few of these in the SAD thread a little while back, so sorry for the repeat if anyone notices.

A quarter

Crushed red pepper flakes

Generic Italian seasoning

Ground cayenne pepper

The only thing I really want to do different is my lighting setup. I've been relying pretty heavily on a flash with paper ball lanterns surrounding the subject to fill things in a little. Should I just build a cheap light box for inside subjects and use natural lighting for outside subjects when possible?

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

sanka posted:

In situations like that I much prefer to use my Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250. They give a lot better working distance, with no noticeable loss in image quality. I love those little guys, and they are worth far more than they cost.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Raynox adapters. I have the DCR-250 and the thing is sharp, way sharper than one would expect a close-up filter to be. I took these using it mounted on a Tamron 90mm f/2.8.

For anyone looking to get into macro on the cheap, a DCR-250 mounted on even one of the cheaper telephotos like the Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR will get you something like 1.7:1 magnification.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Eutheria posted:

There are adapters that one can use to attach a lens to a camera in reverse. From what I can understand, this apparently moves the lens elements farther away from the sensor (like a bellows or extension tube would) and thusly gives you a shorter focusing distance and greater magnification. I think it only really works with lenses of smaller focal lengths (i.e., not telephotos), though I could be wrong.

Lens reversing works better the shorter your lens is, I believe. Try it with the kit lens but I'm pretty sure doing it with the telephoto will be useless.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I'm looking forward to Spring so I can start shooting macro again.

One day I'm going to get one of these little bastards in focus when they jump.

I definitely third the Raynox adapters, they are absolutely fantastic. I got my first start with macro photography by taping an eye piece of a pair of binoculars to the end of my p&s lens and it worked quite well, then I upgraded to the Raynox because it did the same thing except with much better quality.

This was taken with a Raynox DCR-250 and a Canon Powershot S5IS:

Original (huge) size:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2915924266_6a7d898500_o.jpg

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Is there a way that I could use those Raynox filters on something with a 77mm filter size? I know the Raynox DCR-250 says it can be used with a lens with a filter size up to 67mm, would I be able to buy an adapter to step down the filter size on my lens from 77mm to 67mm and then slap the DCR-250 on that?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

KickStand posted:

Is there a way that I could use those Raynox filters on something with a 77mm filter size? I know the Raynox DCR-250 says it can be used with a lens with a filter size up to 67mm, would I be able to buy an adapter to step down the filter size on my lens from 77mm to 67mm and then slap the DCR-250 on that?

You can get a 77 to 67mm adapter (generally used for connecting a second, reversed lens) on eBay for a few $/£. Whether or not the extra distance will be a problem is another matter though.

Some of my shots:

Factory Ten
Feb 8, 2010

MrFrosty posted:

For anyone looking to get into macro on the cheap, a DCR-250 mounted on even one of the cheaper telephotos like the Nikon 55-200 f/4-5.6 VR will get you something like 1.7:1 magnification.

I have this very lens. I may be ordering a DCR-250 very, very soon.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Dear OP: how do you like the 105mm Sigma macro? A good macro lens is next up on my list and considering how poor / back-to-school I'm going to be shortly, I'm wondering if going the budget route (from say, the 100mm Canon USM model) will treat me right.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Stew Man Chew posted:

Dear OP: how do you like the 105mm Sigma macro? A good macro lens is next up on my list and considering how poor / back-to-school I'm going to be shortly, I'm wondering if going the budget route (from say, the 100mm Canon USM model) will treat me right.

For the price of the lens, it's loving phenomenal, it is the macro lens i had for about 2 years before i got the canon 100mm, it seriously is one of the very better ones on the market right now

scorntic
Jul 6, 2006
why did I come into this thread, it only made me want to buy a macro lens...which I can't afford :(

great photos guys

misunderestimated
Sep 17, 2009
Has anyone tried diopters? I've been looking at sets of +1,2,4 and 10. They're usually pretty cheap, which worries me and opinions on picture quality seem to be mixed at best. Is there a higher quality filter out there, or is the Raynox really the only way to go without bellows/extensions/lens reversing, etc?

Edit: I love macro. I've spent the winter trying to get my hands on better equipment. I can't wait for spring so I can try again. Here's some of my stuff from last summer.

Some great stuff in this thread...I'm jealous!

misunderestimated fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 22, 2010

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Stew Man Chew posted:

I bought a bargain rated Sigma 105mm Macro from KEH for $149, I don't know if it's just my copy or not but the AF is really slow and noisy so I just use it in MF which is fine anyways since I don't want to scare my subjects. I highly recommend it if you ever find yourself in the position of getting one.

If you can stand spiders, here's a flickr set of most of my shots with the lens
http://www.flickr.com/photos/silenus81/sets/72157618045110348/

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Well speak of the devil a 105mm is up for $144 right now, holy credit cards batman.

Also seems a loud/crappy AF system is a universal complaint, not unique to your lens. I've seen that BGN-rated stuff from KEH is awesome quality, so this'll be on my quicklist. Thanks!

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 22, 2010

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I took these with a kit lens (because I don't have a straight up macro) but I thought they turned out fairly well.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eugh, the Raynox sounded perfect but apparently are next to impossible to find in the UK.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Are these what you're after?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raynox-RADCR-0150-DCR-150/dp/B0007KS7D0/ref=sr_1_1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raynox-RADCR-0250-DCR-250/dp/B000A1SZ2Y/ref=sr_1_1

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Indeed, but they ship from Germany and I'm leaving the UK at the end of the week so I'd probably miss it.

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
How much better is a ringflash over a normal speedlite for macro? I would love the Canon MP-E65 for my next macro lens, but I don't really want to shell out nearly $1k for a flash only for macro..

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

ricepaddydaddy posted:

How much better is a ringflash over a normal speedlite for macro? I would love the Canon MP-E65 for my next macro lens, but I don't really want to shell out nearly $1k for a flash only for macro..

Here is Brian Valentine's (Lord V) flash setup for his MP-E 65. No idea whether it's better than a ringflash, but it certainly seems more than sufficient for him.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

Eugh, the Raynox sounded perfect but apparently are next to impossible to find in the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130368802102

I was going to buy it, but go for it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Raikiri posted:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130368802102

I was going to buy it, but go for it.

Nah, it's okay. I'll be out of the UK by the time the auction ends. Thanks though.

I was just hoping that some place like calulet or something sell them. The raynox seems perfect for my needs, I'd be mounting it on a 70-200 f4. Plus be able to test macro before laying out for a 100mm f2.8. It's odd how it doesn't really seem that present in England.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Might be worth trying a cheaper Macro lens, the Canon is lovely but I find my Tamron 90mm does the job just fine.

A used one (slightly older version) would set you back about £150-£175 and are really sharp. The AF sucks but then you're not going to be using it much when shooting macro.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha, don't tempt me. I'm trying to cut down on photography purchases. I need to buy an underwater housing (albeit just for a compact, gently caress paying the money they want for dSLR housings)

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just another quick question, how exactly would you find your max magnification with something like the Raynox? Say your lens has normally a max magnification of 1:4 what math would be involved to find how close you are getting?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

KickStand posted:

Just another quick question, how exactly would you find your max magnification with something like the Raynox? Say your lens has normally a max magnification of 1:4 what math would be involved to find how close you are getting?

Best way it to take a picture of a ruler, if your sensor is 22mm across and 2.2cm fills the frame it's 1:1, 1.1cm then it's 2:1 etc.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Double post, but hey it's been a few days.

I have a new subject:

Now with video (1080p/720p available on YT):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_77X_MUsXI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Wow, awesome looking mantis! I've always wanted to shoot a couple of those but I don't see them all that often around here.

Great shots and cool video!