Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Also, Toyota has made SMG style paddle shift manuals before - it was an option on third gen MR2s. Lotus could just borrow that if they needed a trans without a third pedal. :colbert:

They shouldn't; it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

shodanjr_gr posted:

Does it still come with such soft-core, Prius-only features like traction control and an AC?

Isn't AC required in some race series now?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Maybe they made it for someone who can't physically drive a stickshift :)

Wasn't it RUF that specially made an electronically actuated clutch for a dude with one leg?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know but I remember there was some poster here quite a while back who wanted a Z06 automatic I believe(which they're supposed to make this year!?) but the factory didn't make them.

Soo... I just wanted to point out that for some enthusiasts an auto is a good thing. Sounds cool if a company went out of their way to make a product accessible. No idea if that's what Lotus's intentions are, of course :P

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CharlesM posted:

I don't know but I remember there was some poster here quite a while back who wanted a Z06 automatic I believe(which they're supposed to make this year!?) but the factory didn't make them.

Soo... I just wanted to point out that for some enthusiasts an auto is a good thing. Sounds cool if a company went out of their way to make a product accessible. No idea if that's what Lotus's intentions are, of course :P
Yes, C7 Z06 has an A8 option.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

a primate posted:

Car and Driver has been getting on my nerves lately:

Lotus Exige Getting Automatic-Transmission Option for People Who Love Sports Cars But Not Driving Them

There will, of course, be a manual offered, but C/D is so offended that an auto is offered in the first place that they absolutely had to write an article about it :rolleye:

Oh, and the auto isn't any slower - it's actually a tenth quicker to 60mph (4.0s vs. 3.9)

Personally I love it when C&D pulls this kind of snarky poo poo and I lol'd at that article title.

Remember, this is the same company that is currently selling a 'Save the manuals' shirt and last time I looked at their store they also had a rug with 'Car Nerd' emblazoned on it.

I'd much rather car mags pander to people like us and/or show they're actual car fans than talk about the new boring family FWD sedan x.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

El Scotch posted:

This could very possibly be my next car. That Scat Pack.

I want more pictures of this but then i might do something stupid and buy it.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Is anyone else excited about the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon coming out with the 4-cylinder diesel in 2016? It might be possible that we have a small, manual transmission, crewcab, diesel-powered pickup with a year.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04/spied-2015-chevrolet-colorado-duramax-diesel.html
http://www.duramaxdieselspecs.com/2.8-duramax.html

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'd much rather car mags pander to people like us and/or show they're actual car fans than talk about the new boring family FWD sedan x.

They do that too, but come at it from the "if you have to get one of these" angle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Is anyone else excited about the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon coming out with the 4-cylinder diesel in 2016? It might be possible that we have a small, manual transmission, crewcab, diesel-powered pickup with a year.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/04/spied-2015-chevrolet-colorado-duramax-diesel.html

It would have to be hugely improved from the current international version which is pretty much a heap of garbage (my brother has the misfortune of having one as a company vehicle)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I'm interested in one as a replacement for my Golf.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it's going to be slow as balls, and far too expensive.

The "base price" colorado is a ringer with no available options, no back seats, and only 3 colors. You're well into half-ton money to get a real truck. The 3.0 ecodiesel in the ram is a $4000 option, and the 3.2 diesel in the transit is a $6000 option. I highly doubt you'll be able to get a diesel colorado under 30 grand, and i doubt there will be a man trans option.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

PeterWeller posted:

They do that too, but come at it from the "if you have to get one of these" angle.

Fair enough.

The alternate and more positive headline could have been "Lotus introduces best sports car for disabled folks yet" :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I think it's going to be slow as balls, and far too expensive.

It's definitely not going to be cheap but it's probably going to most closely match what I want/need in a vehicle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

It's definitely not going to be cheap but it's probably going to most closely match what I want/need in a vehicle.

What do you want in a vehicle? No torque off-idle? Clunky manual gearbox? 100% plastic interior? Massive turning circle? Ride like and old fashioned truck?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

dissss posted:

What do you want in a vehicle? No torque off-idle? Clunky manual gearbox? 100% plastic interior? Massive turning circle? Ride like and old fashioned truck?

Yes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Well, he did buy a volkswagen!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Sure. Those and something that isn't super huge yet can take 3-4 people and all their ski/snowboard gear on 10 hour drives to Colorado 5+ times a year in relative comfort. And also do some offroad work if I want to get my bike or kayak somewhere off the beaten path to do something with those.

Realistically, if it comes with the 8 speed and gets about 30mpg highway I'll probably end up with one.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Powershift posted:

It's not that ford's too stupid, aussies want american prices on stuff, but aren't prepared to accept american wages, so they're losing all their manufacturing. GM gets away with it because most of the hard work was already done for the camaro platform, and even then it's 40 grand+ for an SS.

It's more that no one would be seen dead in a car with a ford/Holden badge because they are associated with bogans and the lower class.

Ford and holden just keep pumping out large family sedans when what sells here is crossovers, SUVs and hatchbacks.

Though even if they did change their flagship model to those markets, they still have the brand stigma of not being a euro.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 26, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Laserface posted:

It's more that no one would be seen dead in a car with a ford/Holden badge because they are associated with bogans and the lower class.

Ford and holden just keep pumping out large family sedans when what sells here is crossovers, SUVs and hatchbacks.

Though even if they did change their flagship model to those markets, they still have the brand stigma of not being a euro.

Ford and Holden each outsell volkswagen, the best selling euro brand, by nearly 2:1. You may be projecting your own feelings onto the general population.

Or maybe the country is 50% Bogan. I spent a few months there and saw an awful lot of mullets.

Toyota, which doesn't even have a car that looks good with a roo bar, is also ending it's a aussie manufacturing.

Minimum wage there is 16 bucks an hour with a currency near Par with the us. Starting wage at the vw plant in Tennessee is $14.50 an hour which is double the minimum wage and vw is still moving production to Mexico to cut labor costs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

Minimum wage there is 16 bucks an hour with a currency near Par with the us. Starting wage at the vw plant in Tennessee is $14.50 an hour which is double the minimum wage and vw is still moving production to Mexico to cut labor costs.
And probably a whole lot less transport costs. Production in Oz just doesn't make sense for them.

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Powershift posted:

Agreed. I don't want my $60,000 car resembling your $11,000 shitbox.

you are an elitist shitbag

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cmdrpinky posted:

I'm sorry you're stuck driving a poormobile like me. :(

Poormobile bros gotta hang together. :glomp:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

Sure. Those and something that isn't super huge yet can take 3-4 people and all their ski/snowboard gear on 10 hour drives to Colorado 5+ times a year in relative comfort.

There are way better vehicles for that.

fknlo posted:

And also do some offroad work if I want to get my bike or kayak somewhere off the beaten path to do something with those.

Have a look underneath one - they're not really suitable for offroad use.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cmdrpinky posted:

And you're the reason I take up 2 spots with my 5 series.

I'm sorry you don't drive something nice enough to take pride in.

dissss posted:

There are way better vehicles for that.

Have a look underneath one - they're not really suitable for offroad use.

None of the more suitable vehicles are any good though.

The masses got out of suvs and into crossovers so the manufacturers stopped updating then. None of the companies that make good engines make good suvs and vice versa.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 26, 2014

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fknlo posted:

Sure. Those and something that isn't super huge yet can take 3-4 people and all their ski/snowboard gear on 10 hour drives to Colorado 5+ times a year in relative comfort. And also do some offroad work if I want to get my bike or kayak somewhere off the beaten path to do something with those.

Realistically, if it comes with the 8 speed and gets about 30mpg highway I'll probably end up with one.

Sounds like you need an Outback

Powershift posted:

Sounds like you need to be taken out back.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Powershift posted:

Oh this should be good. :smug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PCOS Bill posted:

I would have bought the XV but I wasn't even remotely impressed with the engine option.

I'd grab a Q5 with the glorious 3.0TDI but I don't think it's anywhere near capable enough offroad and I also don't necessarily trust putting a bunch of miles on an Audi.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

Sounds like you need to be taken out back.

:suspense: Hoo boy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

fknlo posted:

Ranger!
Oh, wait.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fknlo posted:

I would have bought the XV but I wasn't even remotely impressed with the engine option.

I'd grab a Q5 with the glorious 3.0TDI but I don't think it's anywhere near capable enough offroad and I also don't necessarily trust putting a bunch of miles on an Audi.
Might you be better with a crossover kind of deal for things like the Colorado trips you mentioned, and a proper truck or Jeep for going really off road? It's very hard to get something that is car-like for long journeys that won't get ruined if you take it on the kind of trails you're implying you need to access.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

fknlo posted:

Obviously what you need is a Range Rover.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd buy a lightly used 2014 grand cherokee with the 3.6. Won't get 30mpg, but will be cheap, offroadable and comfortable on trips. I bet you can find one for ~25k

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

E: nm

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 26, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Might you be better with a crossover kind of deal for things like the Colorado trips you mentioned, and a proper truck or Jeep for going really off road? It's very hard to get something that is car-like for long journeys that won't get ruined if you take it on the kind of trails you're implying you need to access.

I'm not talking about doing crazy offroad, I just expect more offroad capability than "slightly higher ride height than your Golf but with AWD!!!" when it comes to an SUV.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Powershift posted:

None of the more suitable vehicles are any good though.

The masses got out of suvs and into crossovers so the manufacturers stopped updating then. None of the companies that make good engines make good suvs and vice versa.

Hahaha the actual forums equivalent of a stuffy douchebag being smug about his boring rear end sedan. Jesus Christ you probably wear head to toe khaki you absolute joke

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sanchez posted:

I'd buy a lightly used 2014 grand cherokee with the 3.6. Won't get 30mpg, but will be cheap, offroadable and comfortable on trips. I bet you can find one for ~25k

The diesel Cherokee is another good example, $29,000 base price. You have to choose the $36,000 trim level before you're even allowed to tick the box for the $4,500 diesel.

Cherokee: $29k base, $41k diesel
ram: $26k base, $39k diesel
Transit: $30k base, $36k diesel
golf: $18k base, $22k diesel
3 series: $33k base, $39k diesel

Why the slow, noisy option is somehow a "luxury" in north america makes no sense at all. With the price of gas falling, diesel now being 17% more expensive, and the population seemingly forgetting that $5/gallon is possible, it may be the perfect storm of bad timing for a new diesel vehicle to hit the market, especially with the current price premium.

edit: just out of curiosity, i started poking around rockauto. There's obviously no stuff for the newer diesels, but for the 2.8 diesel they used in the liberty, an injector pump is $1400, the injector is listed as $800(i hope to god that's a set), the fuel pressure sensor is $170. The 3.5 ecoboost on the other hand still uses $40 motorcraft injectors, a $160 fuel pump, and $30 pressure sensor.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hahaha the actual forums equivalent of a stuffy douchebag being smug about his boring rear end sedan. Jesus Christ you probably wear head to toe khaki you absolute joke

Are you guys in a club or something?

The guy took a post from 5 pages back out of context and attacked me on it. I was egging him on in a ridiculous way that nobody who's not already emotional about the opinion should latch onto, and yet you bite anyways.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 26, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Don't take up two parking spots or I will key your house, gently caress your car and egg your mother.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Why the slow, noisy option is somehow a "luxury" in north america makes no sense at all.
I assume they're either trying to bury the cost of the more expensive powertrain, or the base models are already underpriced to get people in the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The diesel Cherokee is another good example, $29,000 base price. You have to choose the $36,000 trim level before you're even allowed to tick the box for the $4,500 diesel.

Cherokee: $29k base, $41k diesel
ram: $26k base, $39k diesel
Transit: $30k base, $36k diesel
golf: $18k base, $22k diesel
3 series: $33k base, $39k diesel

Why the slow, noisy option is somehow a "luxury" in north america makes no sense at all. With the price of gas falling, diesel now being 17% more expensive, and the population seemingly forgetting that $5/gallon is possible, it may be the perfect storm of bad timing for a new diesel vehicle to hit the market, especially with the current price premium.

I would have been interested in the 3 series wagon diesel, but by the time you click any option boxes you're over $50k for a car that felt less peppy than my Golf. A 335d at the same price point would have been a completely different story. My dream option here is still an A4 or A6 wagon with the 3.0TDI at a remotely reasonable price point. Never gonna happen in the US so I moved on.

And someone else mentioned it, but the diesel always goes into more loaded packages to absorb some of the cost and make it seem like the buyer is actually getting something for all the extra money it's costing them.