Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

euphronius posted:

I'm happy when I get the Altima as a rental. Just a nice car.

I had an Altima last year as a rental, and I think it was a MY 2014 car. I was flabbergasted to discover that there were still non-lowest-of-the-low-priced cars sold then that didn't have either USB or Bluetooth - I had to go buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to connect my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chevy Dropped the price of the spark in canada to $9,995(about $7200 usd, less than 5000 gbp), close to half of the US price.

That's pretty awesome considering it has the touchscreen and android/appleplay stuff standard. It sucks that they did away with the little motorcycle style cluster though, that was neat.

of course if you want cruise control, a CVT, or air conditioning, the price jumps to about $14k.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Except the actual science disagrees with what you're saying.

The idea behind red panel lighting is that it preserves as much of your night vision as possible, for precisely the reason that the eye does not respond all that well to red lighting. This way, you can look down to your instruments or to whatever you're adjusting, and not lose all of your night vision when your eyes return to looking at the outside environment. Basically every aircraft made since, well, we started flying a lot at night (in the late 1920s and 30s) uses red lighting for cockpit illumination for this very reason; sure, you're not going to see much detail in red light, but how much detail do you actually need to see when you're glancing at a gauge?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Coredump posted:

Wouldn't a cooler color of white be closer to sunlight color instead of warm white? Why would warm-white be preferred?

Sunlight is orange.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

fyodor posted:

Sunlight is orange.

Color temperature of daylight is around 5500k I thought?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Powershift posted:

Chevy Dropped the price of the spark in canada to $9,995(about $7200 usd, less than 5000 gbp), close to half of the US price.

That's pretty awesome considering it has the touchscreen and android/appleplay stuff standard. It sucks that they did away with the little motorcycle style cluster though, that was neat.

of course if you want cruise control, a CVT, or air conditioning, the price jumps to about $14k.

It was around £8000 here for the base model, which doesn't include a stereo. Lol.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Coredump posted:

Color temperature of daylight is around 5500k I thought?

5600k officially.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
That Prius ad is awful

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

Basically every aircraft made since, well, we started flying a lot at night (in the late 1920s and 30s) uses red lighting for cockpit illumination for this very reason; sure, you're not going to see much detail in red light, but how much detail do you actually need to see when you're glancing at a gauge?

Boats/ships too. It's pretty well-established at this point, really.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Coredump posted:

Wouldn't a cooler color of white be closer to sunlight color instead of warm white? Why would warm-white be preferred?

Two reasons:

1) Blue light causes more glare, because of Rayleigh scattering (the same reason the sky is blue). More scattered light = more going in directions it's not supposed to = more glare. This happens both in the atmosphere, and inside your eye. A lot of people report that blue light sources at night are difficult to focus on primarily for this reason.

2) Your eye actually objectively can't see blue light as well as other colors. You have fewer blue-sensitive cones than ones that are sensitive to red and green, and they are somewhat more spread out in the retina. The blue photoreceptor pigment is also about 1/3 as sensitive to light in general as the red and green ones are.

Selective yellow headlights for all, I say

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Two reasons:

1) Blue light causes more glare, because of Rayleigh scattering (the same reason the sky is blue). More scattered light = more going in directions it's not supposed to = more glare. This happens both in the atmosphere, and inside your eye. A lot of people report that blue light sources at night are difficult to focus on primarily for this reason.

2) Your eye actually objectively can't see blue light as well as other colors. You have fewer blue-sensitive cones than ones that are sensitive to red and green, and they are somewhat more spread out in the retina. The blue photoreceptor pigment is also about 1/3 as sensitive to light in general as the red and green ones are.

Selective yellow headlights for all, I say

Slight derail, but does this mean that we make the colour blue much more intense to balance it out with other colours?

say, for example we had the eyeball equivalent of reference audio gear, would the blues be all out of whack with the rest of the colours?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone should just do night panel:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That's a Saab, isn't it? I thought it was so clever when I read about how they do night panel mode and if the gauge is getting close to high or low limit it lights.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I don't own one but here's a demonstration of how that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tB0o4mOdM

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Laserface posted:

Slight derail, but does this mean that we make the colour blue much more intense to balance it out with other colours?

say, for example we had the eyeball equivalent of reference audio gear, would the blues be all out of whack with the rest of the colours?

If you observe the actual brightness (in terms of emitted light) instead of the perceived brightness, you'd get green things being oddly dim and blue things being oddly over-bright.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Everyone should just do night panel:

One of my favorite features on the Infinti is that you can turn off the center console display, and if you want to take it further you can turn off all of the dash lights.

Makes for a nice drive with the cruise on.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bovril Delight posted:

One of my favorite features on the Infinti is that you can turn off the center console display, and if you want to take it further you can turn off all of the dash lights.

You can do that on most new cars, I think. I know our Escape and the Durango I have to drive both do it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sagebrush posted:

People really underestimate how much of a drastic effect this has on colorblind people. My sensitively to red is dramatically muted and as a result, purples are one of hardest things for me to deal with. Most shades of pink up to a certain saturation are gray to me. So, for most people, adding just a tiny bit of red to blue is really noticeable. For me, any shade of purple is nearly impossible to discriminate from its blue component.

I naturally gravitate towards blues and yellows since those are the boldest colors for me. Growing up, it used to baffle me why stop signs were red Why would they choose a dull background color for something so important instead of bright yellow or brilliant blue?

On the flip side, I can spot marginal body work like no one's business. If the formulation of paint isn't made up of exactly same pigment proportions as the original, it jumps out at me like crazy. Even a lot of factory paint jobs don't fully match due to using different paint formulations for plastic and metal. It comes down to red again. Since it's so sensitive in most people's eyes, subtle variations in any blueish pigments are masked. Also, a slight decrease or increase in red is more likely to be linear so blending is more gradual. However, for me, I'm more likely to spot the increased blue behind the red tones. Slight variations in red may straddle my discrimination threshold and they'll come out red or gray depending on intensity. So it becomes very obvious they are different.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

You can do that on most new cars, I think. I know our Escape and the Durango I have to drive both do it.

I've found most cars don't let you turn off all the lights. My VW was super annoying in that you couldn't turn off either the head unit or the dash lights.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Bovril Delight posted:

I've found most cars don't let you turn off all the lights. My VW was super annoying in that you couldn't turn off either the head unit or the dash lights.

A VW with weird electrics well I never :v:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Bovril Delight posted:

In my buddy's G35 sedan, he's got all the dash lights and the center screen thing cranked all the way up all the time. I have no idea how he sees anything.
Also, how to center console screens look these days? Most cars in the past have a horrible looking color palette, lovely resolution, and godawful graphics. What's in his 08 infiniti is just shameful looking. Awful silverish tones with greyish yellow buttons and stuff. It's just yucky. Just look at it!

:barf:

Also, who thought having the buttons facing straight upwards was a good idea?

The prius had comically bad graphics when it came out in 2004 too

2015 Outback Starlink center screen

Looks a little better. The big shiny screen over it makes for lots of unintended glare though.

The 2012+ Focus non-MFT screen was a loving joke.

It had a lot of room to work with and only displayed two lines of data at any given time. What a waste.

In other words, why is it so hard for automakers to get some actual interface design going on these things? Why can't they outsource them to companies that actually know what they're doing? So much bling and flash and it all ends up being wasted space and lovely choices.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

BloodBag posted:

I loving lost it at 'Stocks'. Because 99% of drivers care so much about stock prices while on their way to the grocery store.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

I loving lost it at 'Stocks'. Because 99% of drivers care so much about stock prices while on their way to the grocery store.

I'm sure the dogs that subaru markets these vehicles to really appreciate the different flavors of stocks: Beef, chicken, vegetable :v:

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If the STOCKS icon brings up different recipes based around your favourite meat-based stock, then all is forgiven.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BloodBag posted:

In my buddy's G35 sedan, he's got all the dash lights and the center screen thing cranked all the way up all the time. I have no idea how he sees anything.
Also, how to center console screens look these days? Most cars in the past have a horrible looking color palette, lovely resolution, and godawful graphics. What's in his 08 infiniti is just shameful looking. Awful silverish tones with greyish yellow buttons and stuff. It's just yucky. Just look at it!

:barf:

Also, who thought having the buttons facing straight upwards was a good idea?

The prius had comically bad graphics when it came out in 2004 too

Looks a little better. The big shiny screen over it makes for lots of unintended glare though.

The 2012+ Focus non-MFT screen was a loving joke.

It had a lot of room to work with and only displayed two lines of data at any given time. What a waste.

In other words, why is it so hard for automakers to get some actual interface design going on these things? Why can't they outsource them to companies that actually know what they're doing? So much bling and flash and it all ends up being wasted space and lovely choices.

There aren't really any companies that consistently make good iinterfaces these days. And a lot of those infotainment systems are outsourced to other companies.

Also the actual screens tend to be crappier than your smartphone because they need to be a hell of a lot tougher than the ones on a phone - way harsher environments, longer lifespans, and they need to cope with a wider range of lighting cconditions.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The g35/g37 buttons facing upwards is easier to press with your hand compared to forward facing buttons. This is needed for pretty much any of this infotainment systems with their garbage of menus to do even of the most basic of tasks. gently caress them.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Automakers should treat infotainment like computers, where you buy a prebuilt (in the form of a car with an infotainment system), wipe it, and install a blank OS you can then customize. Instead it's slow, unhelpful bullshit that's inexplicably networked to everything else. Automakers that abandon the DIN standard in favour of their hideous bloated proprietary system are the WORST, since you can't even upgrade it at all when new media standards are released.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cars don't need any of that stuff at all lets be honest

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Cars don't need any of that stuff at all lets be honest

Seriously. Stocks/Sports?!?! feel like an eighty year old but the world has clearly gone to hell. Also why not use your phone when parked like a normal person (full disclosure: I don't own any stocks)

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The Apple and Google solutions are the most obvious answers. I think we can all agree that carmakers are poo poo at designing an interface. Same goes for aftermarket DIN units. There's also no world where a manufacturer's navigation system is better than your smartphone.

I've had CarPlay since November 2014 and it's really the only way to go. I'm not going to rave about how amazing it is, it's just the most logical solution to integrate today's technology in a car.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Am I really the only person who likes the Ford layout? :( at least in the Focus and Escape, with the higher tier set ups, I enjoy it. It's very well placed, and I'm never hunting or searching. Plus I actually like how it looks.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

iwentdoodie posted:

Am I really the only person who likes the Ford layout? :( at least in the Focus and Escape, with the higher tier set ups, I enjoy it. It's very well placed, and I'm never hunting or searching. Plus I actually like how it looks.
I'm liking the Sync3 setup. Clean and simple. Though I use the steering wheel controls or hard buttons for most things.
I'll like it better when android auto woks with it properly. Or being able to invoke GNow voice commands from the steering wheel.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Bovril Delight posted:

I have some gauge overlays which let's me do this neato thing:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
That looks like my ranger except i can't see my gas gauge and 50mph to 80mph at night...

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
The Mazda Connect infotainment (awful awful awful term that needs to die) system is quite nice. My biggest annoyance this year when ditching my '94 Camry and moving to a new car was how lovely most of those systems are, but Mazda actually did a pretty good job of making it intuitive and easy to use while driving. Most manufacturers seem to have forgotten that people like to do things like change the radio station while driving.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Only a masochist would check the stock market ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

That looks like my ranger except i can't see my gas gauge and 50mph to 80mph at night...

Yeah but that's just because Ford used The Worst supply possible for 194 bulbs. It's an easy job to fix it anyway.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, I don't own one but here's a demonstration of how that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76tB0o4mOdM

It's kind of annoying how the tach doesn't light up until you've hit the rev limiter.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, I think quality in 2016 when poo poo looks like an 80s computer display

The man said to get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

What is this and where do I get one.