Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've seen an equal number of Impalas as other non-Chrysler large cars, Avalon, Azera etc. The Impala is fairly nice for what it is but the segment isn't doing well as a whole. Old people can't sit in low riding cars anymore so everyone needs a diesel F350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Are you a bitter weirdo who is sad about a certain company completely ruining diesel passenger cars in North America? Fear not, General Motors has your back.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/22/2018-chevy-equinox-turbo-diesel-engine/

quote:

Chevy plucked the Equinox's newest engine from the Cruze, and we have a sneaking suspicion the 1.6-liter diesel will be right at home in the high-riding Equinox. There's 236 pound-feet of torque to play with, along with a more modest 136 horsepower.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Throatwarbler posted:

Are you a bitter weirdo who is sad about a certain company completely ruining diesel passenger cars in North America? Fear not, General Motors has your back.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/22/2018-chevy-equinox-turbo-diesel-engine/
I like how the 2L turbo makes an extra 24 ft-lbs over the diesel, with nearly twice the HP and probably (maybe?) a more aggressive final drive.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Powershift posted:

To be fair, standard prices are way out of wack. a $33,000 ATS gets you the base model engine out of a 2012 chevy malibu. around $40k gets you a 3.0 turbo engine from any other brand, but with the cadillac ATS, it gets you the n/a 3.6 v6 out of the 2012 chevy impala. The $55k CTS has that same engine.

If you want the turbo V6 it's $60k in either the ATS or CTS. $20,000 more than the 3.0 MKZ. $12,000 more than a bmw 340i.

Wow that's terrible. Just get an Impala with leather seats.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

my dad got an Impala as a rental

it was very big and drove like a boat

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you want a comfy as balls commuter/long distance driver an XTS would be perfectly fine. Snag a used platinum trim model with the massaging seats and waft along to wherever you're going.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
loooooooool: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sion-a-solarcar-for-everyone-car-solar

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

DOOP posted:

If I'm honest that makes me actually want one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

As Nero Danced posted:

If I'm honest that makes me actually want one.

Nobody's buying them new, so there's not exactly going to be a wealth of them on the used market.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Only if they come with 20" blades.

But there's got to be a better way, a better way a better way yeaah

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Only if they come with 20" blades.

But there's got to be a better way, a better way a better way yeaah

I loving loathe you for making me remember that goddamn song.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DOOP posted:

was it the current impala that consumer reports really liked or the old impala that gm still makes for rental fleets?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

was it the current impala that consumer reports really liked or the old impala that gm still makes for rental fleets?

Yeah, they did this with the Malibu too. I got a 2016 Malibu LTZ as a rental earlier this year and it was unbelievably lovely. Then I saw a 2016 Malibu somewhere else and it was literally an entirely different car, leading me to learn about GM's separate versions of the Malibu and Impala for fleet use.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They literally gave it the same name as another car company.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KillHour posted:

They literally gave it the same name as another car company.

It's spelled differently

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BraveUlysses posted:

It's spelled differently

Should have called it the Zion.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think they have Scion in Germany, where the kickstarter guy is from.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You know what I think they do have in Germany? Crash test standards.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Their warranty is 2 years of "we send you the parts free and you pay a shop that does the work! If you do it yourself, its free!" God that is bad.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I don't know

But considering he got it from enterprise, I'm assuming the latter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rental fleets have the new Malibus and Imapalas, too.

The new impala is the best rental car. It's enormous and comfy with a big enough engine. Just cruise down the highway on a cloud.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

2017 Jeep Compass

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not a bad looking car, I can see it being pretty popular if the pricing stays similar.

rental car chat: I'm traveling for work this week, they tried to give me a Mitsubishi Lancer, I talked football with the Avis guy and swapped to an Altima instead. The Altima isn't a terrible car, not too bad really.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I wonder why they decided to stick with the Compass nameplate instead of Patriot? I dont know why/how the tried to differentiate the Patriot/Compass since they were basically the same vehicle. I guess the compass was more 'crossover' like? And a bit upmarket?

Renegade
Compass
Cherokee
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

D C posted:

I wonder why they decided to stick with the Compass nameplate instead of Patriot? I dont know why/how the tried to differentiate the Patriot/Compass since they were basically the same vehicle. I guess the compass was more 'crossover' like? And a bit upmarket?

Renegade
Compass
Cherokee
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee

It was because women wanted the melted blob look and men wanted the blocky square look. It didn't cost them much to just add different sheet metal to the same car and they increased their appeal a good bit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

D C posted:

Renegade
Compass
Cherokee
Wrangler
Grand Cherokee

Grand Wagoneer.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

I wonder why they decided to stick with the Compass nameplate instead of Patriot?

I read it's because they are focusing on global sales and want to keep the same names everywhere. The Patriot name is a lot harder sell outside the US.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Usually the moss grows on the outside of a car, here it's in your dashboard.

*edit:

It's me, I'm the moss.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kimbo305 posted:

You know what I think they do have in Germany? Crash test standards.

Probably not as much as you think, all those Chinese cars that got 0 stars on the EuroNCAP were still sold in the EU, nothing stopped them.

Audi announces that hi-po engines from now on will be Inline 5s

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/audi-ends-ultra-hot-four-cylinder-development-claiming-lack-panache/

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

One step in the right direction. I'm holding my breath though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For a while I've been wondering how long it was going to take for the HP wars to cancel out the effects of downsizing and for us to get back our missing cylinders and liters. Maybe the next M3 will have a supercharged V8 :allears:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hyundai gets lairy...

http://cardesignnews.com/articles/cdn-live/paris/2016/09/hyundai-rn30/

Would. (in stealth black plz)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFlQSCLEIo

Power figures for 2017 Raptor confirmed. It's hard to tell over the music but I'm afraid the V6 might not sound great

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hyundai gets lairy...
snip

Would also, but maybe that spoiler gets pulled back like 4 inches.

All things about the N division aside, i dont think the states would get it even if it were to come out, we dont get any of the i models to begin with :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

What is the point of a white tailpipe? What material is it made out of, pvc pipe?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

What the gently caress is that article on about? Hyundai has always been the company (between Hyundai and Kia) that does the stuff that's sporty/powerful. What the gently caress has Kia ever done in that space?

Also, that's a very good looking car.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hyundai has been making good looking cars for a few years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dislike button posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFlQSCLEIo

Power figures for 2017 Raptor confirmed. It's hard to tell over the music but I'm afraid the V6 might not sound great

That will greatly disappoint all the Raptors I see racing from stoplight to stoplight

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

They'll just dial up their fake noise chip to 11, they understand every single person in the Raptor demographic quite well and exactly what they want, I assure you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like some negative nancies here!