Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dr JonboyG posted:

So the more I think about the T25, the more I think I'd love one for my commute. The turbo version that weighs 500kg would be more than nippy enough, and you'd be able to carve your way through traffic because it's so narrow. Murray needs someone to style it though.

Bertone.

I would love to see a Bertone styled city car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Naky posted:

The wheels aren't that bad, but for the market they cater to it will be a very, very frosty day in hell before they hit production.

Besides, I like how the left profile is lowered and the right isn't.

it's just how the car is built, there's a weird lip/flare over the rear wheel that throws things off.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1280x860 image.

there's a couple of more pictures on the jaguar site that show some different angles.
I saw one of these on the motorway the other day, just in passing, but I noticed it enough to notice it was pretty loving ugly.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 17, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Garth Fader posted:

Click here for the full 1280x957 image.

:psyduck:

Sometimes it feels like i'm loving crazy, is this really considered ugly?!

even a Porsche Panamera looks decent in composed brochure shots.
I mean ok the new Jag isn't hideous, but it's certainly a bit of a mess. The proportions are all hosed up, like they took a Rolls Royce and pinched bits to make it look not as big, then did an "our version of..." a Citroen C6 on the back which barely even works on a Citroen C6.

And the front looks more like a badger than a jaguar.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pseudonym posted:

Will do, here is a pic of the Shinari concept, showing off Mazda's new Kodo design language and scaling down that infamous grin (though I'm honestly not that bothered by it). I think it's gorgeous, though it looks an awful lot like the Fisker Karma.

That is very pretty. Though it looks less so at full size, from the thumbnail it looks a bit like a Mazderati something, not that that's a bad thing at all

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A5H posted:

New SSC to beat Veyron SS:

http://jalopnik.com/5630025/ssc-ultimate-aero-ii-first-photos-of-americas-bugatti-fighter

Wonder how this will progress.

flaming fireball of death.

My money is on the SSC to hold that title.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slothophile posted:

The new 599 APERTA. Only 80 to be made, estimated around £340,000 each and already sold out.

Ferrari Z06

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

davebo posted:

So what's everyone think of this Lamborghini Sesto Elemental? Gosh I really want to like it because it's light as hell and supposed to do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? But it's got this hideous snub-nose and it's just a big mess of carbon fiber. It just doesn't feel like any Lambo I know and I don't like new and different.

for reference: http://www.leftlanenews.com/lamborghini-sesto-elemento.html

if those wheels don't rotate down 90 degrees and turn into hoverpads, I just don't know...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eames posted:

Picture says it all. :negative:
2013, 5 seats, FWD, will presumably share a platform with the Countryman.

Is laughing an appropriate response?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SwashedBuckles posted:

It's pretty ugly but you can't really fault a company that aims to make a fuel efficient minivan with good handling, even if it's only for being crazy enough to try.

I can and will, just watch me!
Even if someone pulled up in the latest Mini John Cooper Factory Skunkworks SS-R that could blow the doors off anything short of a Koenigsegg I would just point my thumb at this monstrosity with a look on my face that could only be described as "I'd rather walk".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

"Fancy a ride in my Panamera?"
"Why yes, I rather would! And might I say, what a handsome motor it is sir, does credit to the Porsche brand!"
"Yes, it rather does, if only other automobile makers could expand their brand with such style and grace"
*throws derisive look over at Mini*
"too true"
*retches in a culvert also having looked over at Mini*

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

phew! Thank god it's just a press render!
http://jalopnik.com/5656941/a-mini-minivan

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=22547

Jaguar C-X75: A new XJ220, powered by electricity generated by gas turbines???!!

I know it's just a concept but drat, could you imagine the sound of one of these flying past, the whirr of electric motors, the hiss and whistle of two tiny turbines? Little children's jaws would drop. Hell, my jaw would drop! If it ever does end up in production in some form, no doubt it will end up just like the XJ220, with a completely different drivetrain.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

echoplex posted:

Jaguar don't make anything interesting these days because it doesn't behoove them to. They make cars for American dentists who call them "jawg-wars" and for fat blokes from Sheffield who ask if you've seen "me new Jag outside" and talk about the good trade in price they got for the Mondeo that preceeded it.

I shot a corporate video once in Leeds or Sheffield (all the same to me) and it had one guy off Phoenix Nights and a local radio personality and all they did was compare the £ value of their "Jag" and "beemer" and now much they'd saved on it.

The north :(

you could make the same criticism about them when they came out with the XJ220.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A5H posted:

:colbert:

I think some of them will end up looking pretty cool. Sorta like that toaster car you guys in the US have.

when you look at it at that angle, picturing the round headlights as the 'eyes' and the actual headlights being angry 'eyebrows', that thing looks kind of like an adorable little angry beast. Or maybe I should lay off the drugs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

japtor posted:

2 door SUV vs...I'm not sure what the Juke and Countryman are, micro SUV/wagons or something.

they're called "crossovers" and they're all the rage, every manufacturer just has to have one.
And having had a close look at the Mini Countryman, I have to say the Juke is a loving breath of fresh air because the Mini is just embarrassing. Ok the rally version looks kinda cool, but the street version just looks shameful.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

crossposting from the cellphone pics thread, since this is where the discussion about it all was:

Linedance posted:

I saw a wild Juke just now... It seemed bigger than I thought it would be, but to be honest I think it's pretty cool looking.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

re: city car ownership, I live in London and as much as I love cars and considering how many mouth watering euro-only cars there are available here that I never had access to growing up, I just simply wouldn't own a car here. I've got my motorbike and legal filtering and honestly it's the only way to get around. And on the days that it's too crap out to ride, I've got the underground. I've got StreetCar (ZipCar) for when I need a car or van for something specific. I'd love to indulge myself in car ownership, but a parking permit that lets me park two, three blocks away on the street, not seeing the car for days, or paying £120/mo for a garage, congestion charge, and brutal traffic, it just doesn't make sense.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Why haven't I been seeing updates about the latest priapism from Lamborghini?

Click here for the full 1280x782 image.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lamborghini-releases-best-pic-yet-of-aventador-lp700-4/

I'll be at the Geneva show first weekend in March so I'll post up some pictures of the beast as soon as I can.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

As a Canadian, if something is referred to as "American" I'm going to assume you mean that bit between Canada and Mexico, and if you're incorrectly applying it to something Canadian, I'll politely correct you. And then I'll call you a oval office because I live in the UK.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Skyssx posted:

As an overly spergy Canadian living in the UK, the percentage needed to describe you is over 7 digits long, and therefore, pointless.

is that really what people think of me? Overly spergy? Once I have gathered enough data and tabulated the results, I will be able to determine whether or not this upsets me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

man that Honda City Turbo II is a sweet motor! I'd never heard of it. It's like a somehow cooler Mk1 Golf GTi.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Faerunner posted:

At the end of the day it's still a Cobalt, you mean.

exactly. It's like having a turbo sunfire.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Except the SS is set up to handle seriously well and can run pretty fast. A FWD car doesn't run a 8:22 on the Ring if it has a garbage setup.

I have absolutely no doubt it's a fantastically fast car, but I can't imagine boost and bling somehow transform it from poo poo into not-poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess I'm a little hard on the Cobalt SS, after all an Evo is just a base model Lancer with go-fast bits, and I doubt the base model Lancer is anything to write home about (never been in one personally, though it would have to be aggressively horrible to come anywhere close to the level of poo poo that is a base level Cobalt/G5)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The dumb part is you making poo poo up out of your rear end because of the nameplate on the back. Read some Cobalt SS-T reviews or go drive one.

I do do that a lot :D
Look I don't doubt its speed credentials, from what everyone says about it it's fast as hell and really well sorted. But it's still an ugly duckling based on, and I'm not using hyperbole here, the worst by a fair margin new car I've ever driven. That's a big stumbling block for me. And I'll probably never have the opportunity to drive one to give it a fair trial either which is probably a shame.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

Are you on the right forum? We have people who daily drive Lotus Elise's on here and we all seem to agree that's pretty awesome.

Actually, if you look at this situation another way. The Cavalier got a reputation that was SO lovely that the Cobalt that came after it is tarnished. GM managed to put together a genuinely good performing car in the Cobalt SS that should tick all the right boxes with AI but...nope.

there's more to cars than just how fast they go. If there weren't, shows like Top Gear wouldn't be so popular. We all appreciate fast cars, but some people appreciate other less quantifiable things in cars as well like style and perceived quality.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

Yes I know there is more to cars than how fast they go. You're not looking at the context in which I made my statement. Autism Sundae was discounting the Cobalt SS because he said its a car that only does well when you look at its performance numbers. My point is, we have a lot of people on here who that's all they need. So for all us to cheer on Lotus Elise's being daily driven and then turn and discount the Cobalt SS is not congruent. They both have poo poo interiors. Both fall apart, as is evident with the guy who had a wheel fall off an Elise. In case you didn't catch that, his wheel FELL OFF. IT FELL THE gently caress OFF. Sorry, little blue collar thrown in there.

So basically, I'm just raging that I'm hearing the "there's more to cars than just how fast they go argument" when the Cobalt SS is being discussed but I don't hear that with other fast less well rounded cars.

the difference is the Lotus Elise looks loving cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

unicorn foreskin leather

so that's what alcantara is! :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Creme_Filling, as an aside, I don't suppose you could recommend any books on describing automotive design, the language used and how it applies (with pictures and examples?). It's something I'm very interested in but I only have a layman's outlook. You seem pretty well informed. You can PM me if you like.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Let's polish a turd. In fact, let's just laser etch gold foil onto it.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/dodge/avenger-rally.html
Honestly, I'm not mad. They don't have a lot to work with in the lineup, so it doesn't seem worse than any other, as far as making a bit of buzz.

Perhaps the most flattering comment is from Ralph Gilles:
"it's obviously the fastest Avenger I've ever driven."

I love the fact that it's using an Evo wing. The old Mitsubishi global platform gives one last gasp from the grave, I guess.

is that spray-on dirt?
They should have used more cans to hide the awful.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think the most elegant solution to the fuel door problem is the Miata, where you pull in to whichever pump is empty and drag the hose across the trunk.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my personal experience not owning a car to get used to but driving many different makes in the course of rental/work/borrowing/car clubs is some bright spark in the ergonomics department thinks his idea is the best idea and that's how the car gets built regardless of what makes sense (because if you come from a clean slate, any combination of left/right push up to signal/twist to clean rear window makes sense). It doesn't matter if you're Ford, Toyota, VW, BWW, anyone, it's always hosed up when you get in something different, you just have to learn to live with it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Saw a road test of the Renault Twizy in the paper today, and it actually looks quite funky - I could see myself using one of these for 90% of my driving, especially given the free road tax and supposed £7k starting price. It's a tandem-style two seater, rear-drive with a 20bhp motor. Spiritual successor to the Messerschmitt bubble car, I'd say.

Treat it as what it is (a road-going quad with a roof, airbags and electric drive), and I can see it being bloody useful. I also think it implies "cool and modern" rather than the "driver disabled, probably not just physically" vibe that the G-Wiz gives off.

I saw these at the Geneva auto show. They're surprisingly nice, all things considered. I think that's where many small electric city cars fall apart, "body by the engineering department" and cheap and nasty everywhere else. The Renault actually has a car-quality finish (albeit commuter car, not luxury car).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They'd be aces for living and commuting in London (well, provided the windows go up). Funny how we laugh and say "it'll never happen" when we see all those fairy fart powered space-age commuter pod concepts at auto shows, and yet here we have a genuine fairy fart powered space-age commuter pod, and it doesn't cost mega moon credits either. About drat time!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Quick, how do you turn the engine off and then switch to accessory power? I bet it's a different sequence for your car than on another maker's car. It's a minor, trivial annoyance but an annoyance nonetheless.

Quick, how do you do it in a traditional key+ignition cylinder system?
Rotate towards you? Away? Push and rotate? Is power available at the first detent or the second? I've driven cars with at least this many different ways of doing it. I've never driven a car with pushbutton start, but I can't imagine it would be more complicated than a key system.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You know that's an absolutely iconic rear end, right? That it's supposed to be like that?

the trouble with modern interpretations is the bulge. Like it's pushing out a turd. The classic look is concave, not convex.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

http://www.auto123.com/en/news/car-news/2011-new-york-auto-show-2012-nissan-versa-sedan?artid=130579

The 2012 versa looks amazing for 11K, I just hope they have one with stick.

why, other than marketing, is this even a sedan? Seriously, look at the trunk picture in that article, why even bother with the 60/40 rear seat?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

dissss posted:

I don't know why you're complaining about this now, the Audi range has looked the same since the A4/A8 came out in 94. I guess the C5 A6 looked a little different but subsequent models have gone more inline with the others.

Huh? A1, (A2 discontinued), A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, plus S versions, estates, and cabrios, Q5, Q7, TT, R8... that's a lot more than they had in '94..

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

15% sales tax? 20% in the UK.

Say you decide on an A4 Avant SE, with the 3.2 and Quattro system. £34k without options. First year's road tax is also £580.

Yeah but thats the on the road price, already including VAT. In Canada tax is added to the listed price, so if they say it's $20000, it's actually going to be $23000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

They've done a lot with an oxcart design as far as putting power down. An impressive amount. But I've always wondered just how much costs IRS could possibly add to the price. It's been done in the aftermarket for years, and you'd think it would be a whole lot cheaper to do on a mass scale right out of the factory.

Seems like it would make the car quite a track beast. But maybe that's just not their market focus.

I just caught an episode of Top Gear where they're reviewing the new (at screening) GT500 Mustang and they compared it with a Roush that had the suspension modified. They said Ford said it would cost $5000/car to add independent suspension.