Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

It looks like Infiniti's headlight suppliers went, "Oh you want us to make some lamps for a big butch SUV? What if we just tweak what we give you for your other cars just a bit? That good?"

Well, it's not like they'd done that bef-

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh. :negative:

Every time I see one of those in traffic somewhere, I have a visceral anger reaction to it and then have to spend the next 5 minutes explaining how a design unit that's been doing things so right for the last 10 years managed to do something so wrong for that car. I mean, the vast sail of blank sheet metal above the headlights HAS to have disgusted some old Japanese man at some point, why did they let it out of the factory like that? Do they think half-height light housings make the car look like it weighs less than 5,500 pounds? What about using the EXACT SAME REAR PANELS AS THE ARMADA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Compared to the old one, the beltine and the window thing is positively artistic though. What the gently caress were they thinking with the C-pillar on the old one?

They were thinking "hey what if we put leather and an analog clock in this thing"

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

But I've also heard that actually one positive factor for GT racing is a design with a long front overhang, since it allows for more downforce to be generated there. I'm not sure how reliable this info is, though.

It makes some measure of sense - with a longer surface, you could mount larger deflectors. You'd have to be careful, though, because the increased moment arm about the front wheel is going to tend to lift the back end of the car up - go too wild and you would need a larger wing in the back and both will increase drag forces substantially.