Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Method Loser posted:

With both a turbocharger AND a supercharger! :psyduck:

VW did the Golf GT a while ago, it also had a turbocharger and a supercharger, but apparently it never really worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

the chic in psychic posted:

VW seems to be incapable of ironing out the old nagging issues with the 1,8, at 8000km's its allready eaten a turbocharger

Blown turbos were an issue with the 1.8, but that engine was put to rest in 2006 wasn't it? It was replaced with the first-gen 2.0T, and the second-gen 3 years later.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Nah, we Canadians just plain get screwed by the Canadian subsidiary of the carmakers. :canada:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Basically the Canadian subsidiary set their prices to be 20 to 40% (in the case of Volvo) higher than the American price and they blame it on the exchange rate. It doesn't pass the smell test, they're regularly asked to explain it, and they don't. They have a local monopoly over their brands and they're milking it.

Edit: this isn't about the RS4 specifically but I did the research on this back in 2006 when the CAD was momentarily worth more then the USD.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
At first I thought "5500 euros for rims, I can't believe it!" But then I remembered that this is not even unreasonable in the context of the Porsche 911 options list.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
They really should have called it CSL, no?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

IOwnCalculus posted:

The guy in charge of things at Hyundai is a loving genius

Given that he could have created a Genesis premium brand and decided not to do so, I would disagree... calling the Equus a Hyundai just creates a brand image problem that could have been done away with very easily.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I think premium brands are about to gain a lot of traction in China. Hyundai is missing out on an opportunity IMHO.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That's Chrysler innovating. They're shipping that "Man Van" out with a new scent they've perfected, it's called "middle aged desperation".

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
There's a simple rule of thumb for North America -- if it's interesting and made in Europe by an American company, we don't have it.

The Fiesta is apparently about to break that rule, but by and large it's practically a law.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

They had two companies hired to design the body -- Noble designed the front end and Bentley designed the back end.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean, look at this thing: that is dogshit ugly.

I don't know about "dogshit ugly", but it does look like an originally-longer car that's hit a wall and has become shorter.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

kimbo305 posted:

The only awkward one there is the Swift sedan.

True, it looks like Suzuki tried to recycle doors made for some other car.

edit: new page needs content! One car I'm looking forward to is the new Pagani Huayra which is still mad as a hatter and now has two turbos bolted on to its Mercedes V12 engine. And by "looking forward to" I mean that we'll probably see it every couple of episodes on Top Gear for the foreseeable future.

el topo fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 9, 2011

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

kimbo305 posted:

So how does the new FF's front drive work? Can't tell if there's a diff or gears packed in there:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/08/video-ferrari-ff-4rm-drivetrain-explained/

Looks like it has two gearboxes :psyduck:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

What do you think of the Peugeot 407? I reckon its the most ungainly sedan on the market:

I quite like it, I find it stylish.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
My mother had a 300M Special, I thought it was quite good but dealing with the Chrysler organization was such a pain in the arse (the dealer we had to deal with was a complete crook) that I will never buy a Chrysler product.

And my uncle used to sell the things -- we had built-in family loyalty, but the appeal of making a dishonest buck off the customer completely ruined it, and Chrysler Canada backed the thievin' dealer every step of the way.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

awesome-express posted:

Because if you remove the BMW logos and kidney grills, it becomes bland. Observe:

The rear of the last-gen Mercedes E-class always reminded me of a Crown Victoria. Mind you both cars were aimed at the age-advantaged demographic.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That's the "we tried to make the carmaker give us money for the publicity but were not successful" look. It's also often used to mask Apple laptops in various shows/ads.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
This discussion about BMW's rear ends is great and all, but the next 911 has been out for cold-weather testing, and I for one think it looks great.

(sorry about the table breakage, didn't realize the picture was that big)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Are you kidding me? This is the most substantial change since the 996.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cream_Filling posted:

The BMW Jetta?..

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
They should just say "gently caress it", go the whole hog and put a small engine right at the back. I'm really not a fan of the current Beetle but the new one looks pretty drat good.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
We're entering an era of seriously ugly cars.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Raluek posted:

That's supposed to be a sedan? Maybe it's just the angle, but that looks like a crossover or some other kind of mini-SUV. Look how tall it is! Look how tall the doors are! That's just tragic.

That's probably just because of the tiny, tiny wheels they fitted on the thing. They look like they belong on a Matchbox car.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That might be one of those ads they'll want to keep for the Japanese market only.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
There are already mechanisms like radar-guided cruise control, assisted braking and assisted parallel parking in cars available today. Very high-end cars like the Merc S-class, but that means those things will become mainstream in 10 years or so -- like ABS brakes, traction control, airbags and all that. Some cars will even warn you if you leave your lane absent-mindedly or make no adjustments at all for a preset period of time (a sign that you may be asleep). It's not sci-fi stuff really.

People think "automated driving" means the driver takes a completely passive role, but that's pretty far-fetched. Driving is increasingly assisted in cars today, and that's not really a bad thing.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

The cutline is there going at a 45 degree angle between the wheel well and the bottom corner of the head light.

I think the Italians do ugly best:

At least it looks somewhat unique

That's almost ordinary by Fiat standards. Behold the (in)famous Multipla...

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
The more I read about the so-called "New Beetle", the less enthusiastic I am about it. It's more of a facelift than a redesign, nothing new on the engine front (2.5L I5 or 2.0T I4), and VW's own marketing seems to concentrate on ambient lighting, red brake calipers, Fender-branded sound system and stuff like that. If I'm ever in the market for a fashion accessory I'll keep it in mind...

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Thwomp posted:

Other than that, the rear seat is a complete joke.

Yeah, I saw one on the street the other day and couldn't help but think that it's really not suitable if you have, you know, legs. Not as bad as that convertible Lexus coupe (WTF was Lexus thinking), but not that much better. But then it IS a tiny city car sold for its maneuverability and ease of parking.

OTOH yesterday I got in the back seat of a standard Mini along with a 6' tall coworker and we were both impressed. That car has more rear legroom than my A4.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Crustashio posted:

Autoblog posted a few shots of what they call the FR-S, but the comments point out that those are subaru wheels on it.

The Subaru wheels you mention are just Oz wheels, really...

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
So their lineup is basically a Smart Car ripoff and an X5 ripoff? That'll dispel all those nasty rumors about the Chinese car industry!

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Not only that, however few they are selling are people who would otherwise be in the market for the more expensive 7 series, so they're effectively losing money every time they sell one.

What were they thinking? And even worse, what was Audi thinking when they decided to copy the drat thing with the A7?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

travisray2004 posted:

The A7 is a 4 door coupe,the GT is a crossover/wagon/liftback/abomination. While these are bullshit terms, I think the A7 was more so copying the CLS. Regardless, it just came out and already looks dated.

The A7 looks more stylish than the rest of the range (I was just at the dealership today to get my A4 fixed) but Audi just has too many models ATM, there seems to be little distinction from one model to another. They made the A4 bigger so it cannibalizes A6 sales, and the A7 has to grab sales from both the A6 and the A8 (assuming it's selling). The "sportback" does have more ambitious lines than the rest especially now that both the A6 and the A8 look like scaled-up A4s.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
They should just have replaced the A6 with what is now the A7.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

I saw someone (possibly you) post in another thread that you can get a LWB A4 in China and it is/was rather popular.

That was probably me :) The A6L with the 2.0T engine seemed fairly popular at least in cities when I visited in 07. Perfect car for Shanghai where traffic rarely moves at more than 30mph anyway.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Spatule posted:

The only one I'd consider is the A3 sportswagon, it's a Golf with a slightly bigger boot, and the price difference is relatively small too.

That's the one Audi that doesn't make any sense in my book -- a Golf in a dinner jacket and with a price increase to match.

The A3 is the only car in the Audi lineup to be FWD and have a transversally-mounted engine, so it's going to have torque steer that you're not going to find in the other models. Some of the other Audis are also available in FWD in base trim but they have longitudinally-mounted engines. The AWD A3 retains a front-wheel bias whereas the other AWD Audis have either 50-50 or 60-40 rear-biased torque distribution standard.

Also the AWD version only has an electronic Haldex system as opposed to a mechanical Torsen system like on the other Quattro cars.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Throatwarbler posted:

Why would a transverse engine cause torque steer? The top of the line performance Audis - RS5, R8, etc do not use Torsen.

Only transverse front-mounted engines, because the point at which the torque is transmitted to the wheels is at an offset from the centre of the axle. It's a traditional problem with most FWD cars, which almost all use that same engine configuration.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Throatwarbler posted:

RS5, R8, etc do not use Torsen.

My mistake, those two particular cars and the A3 don't use Torsen. The system on the R8 is the same used in the Gallardo (possibly Haldex) and the RS5 one is a crown-gear system which is new for that model.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Naky posted:

Plus it kind of goes against what subcompacts are - cheap, reliable econoboxes that are cheap to repair when things do break. A turbo and all related accessories just adds to the repair costs. This seems really backwards to me.

Your thinking about turbos seems to be stuck in the 80s. Turbos have for some time already been a reliable way to extract more horsepower and (especially) low-end torque from small and economical engines in an age where convenience and safety equipment has made even small cars quite heavy.

Also yeah, there can be a difference between EPA and real-life numbers, but that difference has always been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Spatule posted:

I tested the Gold anf the A3 and the A3 was quieter with absolutely nothing vibrating in the cabin even on cobblestones, it had a bigger boot (not much, but also more practical in shape), and the price difference as a company car was like 10€/month.
I do agree though that I would never buy one with my own money, the price difference is quite a bit higher then, not including more expensive maintenance.

I'm in North America, worker ants like me get neither much vacation nor company cars here :( With the terms you mention I have to agree the Audi is the better pick.