Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

A Mini-Van. Picture says it all. :negative:
2013, 5 seats, FWD, will presumably share a platform with the Countryman.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

The concept of the Juke (small, 4WD, 190 hp engine, aimed at younger people) looks like a winner to me, but I find it just plain astonishing how they managed to gently caress up the design so hard.

eames
May 9, 2009

2012 New Beetle

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-volkswagen-beetle-spy-shots/#3824655

Second picture has PT Cruiser written all over it.
The whole design seems to have a hint of Porsche-meets-ugly-stick in it, although I can’t quite put my finger on what exactly it is that makes me think that. VW Beetle meets Porsche would make sense on a few levels, anyway.

eames
May 9, 2009

Audi A3 (more like RS3 if you ask me) Sedan concept with 408 HP from a 2.5L TFSI 5 cylinder, quattro and a 7 gear dual clutch transmission. 0-100 kmh in 4.1 seconds.

eames
May 9, 2009

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I like Alfa Romeo's concept better :colbert:

http://www.insideline.com/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-4c-concept-2011-geneva-auto-show.html

Click here for the full 717x478 image.

Weighs almost 1000 lbs. less than the Toyobaru and will likely make more power, too.

Wow, I just checked the price on it and can’t help but wonder why it is so cheap. Rumors are around $60.000 which I find actually affordable for a car of this caliber. The KTM X-Bow that it is based on costs more than that.
I’m going to preorder one if they really keep the price close to that estimate.

eames
May 9, 2009

Audi is preparing a new RS4 Avant. I don’t like the looks of it, but then again I also think that the current B8 A4 looks rather ugly compared to is predecessors.
The 20" rims with huge offset and super low-profile tires don’t help either.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/spy-shots-audi-rs4-avant-caught-on-the-right-track/

eames
May 9, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Because if you remove the BMW logos and kidney grills, it becomes bland. Observe:

wow, that image really is quite the eye opener. I definitely wouldn’t have identified that as the new M5, ever.

eames
May 9, 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/28/zagato-unveils-new-tz3-stradale-with-the-heart-of-a-viper-and-th/

Production version of the Zagato TZ3 (Zagato CF Body on a Viper ACR chassis)

Not sure what went wrong there, but I think it looks terrible, like something from the early 80s. :stare:

eames
May 9, 2009

Not a production car at all but you have to admit, the VW Polo R WRC looks pretty good (for a VW).

bonus video of its heritage on here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/05/volkswagen-to-contest-wrc-with-polo-r-in-2013/

eames
May 9, 2009

Looks like the S1 is getting closer to production:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/17/audi-s1-caught-testing-likes-wearing-a1-clothing/
(with regular A1 bodywork in the pictures)

270 hp and AWD sounds crazy and would probably make it faster than the 1M. I would have expected ~225 hp for the S1 (and then maybe a 270 hp RS1).

eames
May 9, 2009

A1 Clubsport Quattro

ugly as can be, but I think this one qualifies as a "hot hatch". 500 hp from a 2.5 twin turbo. :psyduck:
Oh and the exhaust. Heh.

eames
May 9, 2009

2012 1 series

:saddowns:

eames
May 9, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

This is the facelift and not the 2013 model coming to the US in 2012, right? This one looks generic :(

Definitely the new model, not sure if it will come to the US though.
I thought that the rear of it has a remarkably american look (to me as a european), maybe because it’s so wide. And yeah, it really does look awfully generic. First picture looks like a shrunk 5-series GT.

eames
May 9, 2009

grover posted:

That is just simply awesome. I home it gets cheap enough to use as a portable generator.

In other news:
I was actually excited about this, but I'm really disappointed in the specs. 3500lbs for 107 miles range? And that's probably city driving. How far at at 155mph, I wonder, could it even make it the whole way around the 'ring at top speed?

Porsche needs to drop the Boxster with it’s wannabe-911 image and revive a classic like the 356 or 914 as a small-ish electric car with a radically different design.
In any case, it sounds like its going to be a pretty nice city car.

I’m envisioning the Active Sound Design tuners of the future, where ricers take the sound unit out of the latest V12-immitating Ferrari EV, turn up the volume to 11 and put it in their Prius. :smithicide:

eames
May 9, 2009

New M5 is official now, full press release with more pictures available here: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/15/bmw-opens-the-floodgates-on-2012-m5/

4.4L twin scroll twin turbo V8, 560 hp, DCT.

But really, just look at this diagram. Look at it.

eames
May 9, 2009

New video of a barely disguised 991 around Stuttgart, the best one I’ve seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFNRrygIzAA

Front spoiler kind of reminds me of the MP12-4C (best visible at the very end of the video).

eames
May 9, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So it turns out the 991 is pretty fast. 997 GT3 fast.

The 991 Turbo and GTx models are going to be stupid fast.

2013: 991 GT2 RS with PDK and Röhrl at the wheel… :wotwot:

Looking forward to that youtube video!

eames fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 24, 2011

eames
May 9, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't know why they wouldn't make the exhaust nice and loud on the M5, then implement a system like this that's switchable by the driver.

I’d say the target audience changed.
The M-series (5 and 7 in particular, 1 and 3 not so much) is moving from "sporty cars for enthusiasts" to "luxurious car for your loaded wife". Just look at the interior of the F10 M5… or its weight for that matter.

eames
May 9, 2009

Hot Cops posted:

I know the V8.mp3 in the M5 is bad, but isn't BMW doing something similar to get the I6 sound out of the new 4 cylinder they're putting in the new Z cars? At least the M5 isn't faking it -as- bad.

The Z4 will have a 200W acoustic system and the Z4M will have the same engine with a ECU remap and a 600W acoustic system. Welcome to the future. :eng101:

eames
May 9, 2009

'the heck is wrong with BMWs design department? They are working hard to make Bangles work look better than ever.

d-3er-p.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/pics-aplenty-2012-bmw-3-series-w-video/

eames
May 9, 2009

Guinness posted:

M-Sport package:

Ok, I have to admit that it very good in that picture, but that could be the angle.
The 1-series-ish fascia with the headlights connected to the kidneys ruins the design for me in almost all other pictures. (and most likely in person too)

eames
May 9, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

170 bhp in a car the size of a tin isn't good enough for you?

Oh god not the "x hp isn’t enough!?" argument again. He’s right about the gearbox.

80-180km/h:

160 hp/ ~1035kg '09 Fiat 500 Abarth EsseEsse: 21.6s
170 hp/ ~1200kg '07 R56 Mini Cooper S: 16.4s

source: auto-motor-und-sport.de magazin

eames fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 16, 2011

eames
May 9, 2009

No one cares about the new 2013 Boxster / Boxster S? It actually looks like a car now!
A lot of 918 RSR with a hint of Ferrari and overall a big step forward in my opinion. A ~400hp "Cayman Turbo" in the future would be very, very interesting IMO.
I also like the wink with the license plate number in combination with the interior/exterior color scheme. ;)

Boxster S: 3,5L NA 315 hp flat six, 7-Gear PDK, optional PTV, PASM and all that 911 jazz.

eames
May 9, 2009

MrChips posted:

That will never happen, as long as Porsche still makes the 911. Porsche knows that for a similar power output, a Cayman will be faster than a 911 every time. Expect the Boxster/Cayman to go the other way, as Porsche is supposedly developing a turbocharged flat-4 for those cars, and for the on-again, off-again entry level roadster.

I kept that in mind when I wrote that. The 991 Carrera S is about as fast as the 997 GT3 around the ring, so I expect the new Turbo to be really, really, really quick, despite it's rear engine. No idea how fast the new Boxster will be or how fast a 400hp-new-Cayman would be, but I'd still like to see that car just for the heck of it, priced above the entry-level Carrera.

eames
May 9, 2009

A5H posted:

So BMW's diesel M car is a straight six with TRIPLE turbos. What?

Next Porsche 911 Turbo (991) will also have three turbos.

quote:

As revealed in a series of recent patent applications made by the German car maker, the Porsche system uses three individual turbochargers. One smaller unit is mounted close to the engine to boost low-end response together with two larger ones similar to the Borg Warner units in use today.

As well as increasing overall power and providing a more linear delivery at the lower end of the rev range, the new induction process is also claimed to improve efficiency — something well placed Weissach sources suggest will bring about significant fuel savings.

eames
May 9, 2009

davebo posted:

So what we have here is the Audi RS4 Avant. It features 444hp that peaks at 8250rpm, quattro AWD, 7-speed DSG. It will not be coming to America.

Pretty amazing package in my opinion. AWD, DSG, nice engine and an Avant.
I’m curious about the pricing though, is this supposed to be their M3 or M5 competitor? (I know they’re not directly comparable)

eames
May 9, 2009

JingleBells posted:

Chris Harris is liveblogging the launch of the new BMW M550d, three turbos, 381hp, 465lb ft :awesome:

Oh wow, they also showed a sneak peak of the new 135i in the slides. Over 300 hp and looks surprisingly decent in the tiny picture:

//edit: So the thing is called M135i, will be revealed in Geneva and there’s a whole gallery of it here: here.
Twin-turbo 3.0-liter, 326 PS, 450nm. 6-gear manual or 7-gear double-clutch.

Still I’m not a fan of the new 1 series front — headlights in particular — but the M-bumper helps a lot.

//edit2: aaand it’ll be available as a 4WD xDrive model… weird.

eames fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 24, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

The new Mini John Cooper Works GP did the Nürburgring in 8:23 which seems quite respectable for a Mini. :3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bep9HUMb18Q

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 16, 2012

eames
May 9, 2009

The new cayman as leaked on instagram. I like it.
I wish they would put a detuned 380 hp version of the 3.8L flat six in there, in good old 914/6 fashion. What a beast that would be.

eames
May 9, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Oh lord. I'm beyond excited for the next GT3. I honestly fear for my wallet when they finally announce it.

I'm really curious to see what transmission they are going to choose for it. PDK is really nice and definitely the future, but I'm sure a lot of the GT3 target audience doesn't want to part with the manual transmission.
Maybe the GT3 will come with the PDK and the GT3 RS with the 7-gear manual. (or the other way around)

eames
May 9, 2009

Somebody figured out how to fix the Jeep headlights!

eames
May 9, 2009

That VW XL1 reminds me so much of the Saab 92/93b/96, the rear in particular.
Performance too…

//edit: and weight. and displacement.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 27, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

New 991 GT3

http://jalopnik.com/2014-porsche-911-gt3-this-is-it-450987702

no more manual, PDK only.

this is just in:

475 hp
3.5 sec to 100 km/h (997 GT3: 4.1 sec, apparently the GT3 uses a "vastly improved" version of the 991's PDK)
rear axle steering :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls

eames fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 4, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

echoplex posted:

Ferrari LaFerrari:

It's... interesting.

The new Ferrari TheFerrari. :doh:

They claim its 2 seconds faster to 186 mph than the McLaren P1.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/new-ferrari-laferrari-pictures-geneva-2013-03-05

I’m not a fan of the design. It looks quite hideous from some angles... I’d rather have a production version of the P4/5 with whatever drivetrain the TheFerrari has in it. 963 hp, yikes.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Well this was a confusing post.

The transmission uses dry clutches, like a Ford Fiesta. It's not a dry sump.

I thought they were going for 300hp on the engine? That's exactly the same as the one used in the Giulietta.

I assume they are going to save that kind of horsepower for the inevitable quadrifoglio verde version.

It’s nice that they managed to keep the weight down for this and didn’t repeat the Brera disaster, the 4C could be a very interesting DD with track qualities although the new Cayman is hard to beat.

What boggles my mind is how they could mess up the headlight design so badly.

This is the Geneva 2011 concept:

Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este 2012:

Geneva 2013, presumably close to production:

"oh hey, lets throw in some Smart Roadster design for good measure, it's going to be awesome" Why? WHY? :doh:

eames fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 5, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

grover posted:

Counterpoint: Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. The 911 chassis is being ever so incrementally turned into more of a european touring car and less of a pure sports car. 991 GT3 should really be 981 GT3. Everyone else realizes it, why doesn't Porsche?

Oh I think they realise it but can’t act on it because it would devalue their iconic flagship 911 line.

Similar things have happened in the past, like the mid-engine 914/6 which was discontinued because the "poor man's Porsche" with a lowly 911T mid engine turned out to be a superior concept in terms of handling and performance.
So they priced it so high that everybody would just go for the (much better looking) 911T instead.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 5, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you believe that those lights are going on a production 4C I have some uranium enrichment facilities in Iran to sell you.

That white car is the 4C Launch Edition which can be preordered starting today. Deliveries will begin in July/September. I imagine randomly changing something as significant as the headlight design just 5 months before delivery would not go well with the preorderers.

I genuinely think that those headlights ruined the whole car’s appeal for me. The Cayman on the other hand still looks much better than I ever expected.

eames
May 9, 2009

This isn’t really news but also not worth a new thread, so I‘ll just put it here. Potential marketing disaster unfolding over at some car forum.
It’s about a guy who calls the Koenigsegg Agera a "hunk of poo poo" on the internet.

http://jalopnik.com/former-koenigsegg-owner-says-2-5-million-agera-r-is-a-489316580

The twist is that he actually ordered one, was unhappy with it and Christian von Koenigsegg allegedly bought the car back from him AND paid him to stay quiet.

Then again this is all coming from a person whose spelling is worse than my dogs and he drives this laundry basket of a car, so…

eames
May 9, 2009

I’m not a big fan of VW Golf per se but woah.

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-you-get-when-yo-combine-a-vw-gti-with-an-a-498558216

eames fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

new 2014 Mini Cooper S spotted

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-mini-cooper-spy-shots/

e: if you squish the image by a few percent horizontally, you basically have a Fiat 500 replica. Thanks, imgur upload-thumbnail!

eames fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 1, 2013