Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

In non-Mustang related Ford news, Ford resurrects the RS500 nameplate.

Factory. Flat. Black.

Ford just seems to "get it". If they would extend that treatment to some of their NA offerings, it would be hard to stay away. A flat black raptor, taurus SHO, or mustang would drive me wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is 800 ft lb the most torque offered in a stock consumer pickup truck to date?

my 245hp - 505 ft/lbs is starting to sound kinda pathetic. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A5H posted:

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

No, you really can't. The lotus elise is jumping 400 pounds, do you think that's just a design choice they made? It's not side impact ratings that are mandated, it's door beams. It's not driver head protection that's mandated, it's air bag positioning and numbers. It's not vehicle controllability that's mandated, it's stability control. The NHTSA isn't mandating results, it's mandating processes.

The new f-150s have 6 airbags for the regular cab, This is most likely what killed the ranger, or any small pick-ups for that matter. Airbags are heavy, if you're close to them they hurt, crumple zones are heavy, door beams are heavy. If the most basic bare-bones I4 sports car is 2400 pounds, what hope does a real car that can carry 4 people and is designed around a V8 have. Ford recently stated they will be knocking 250-750 pounds off each car, this still isn't going to inject them into a fantasy world where every car is light and nimble. People seem to complain about every single car being too heavy, and i'm not singling you out here, but if every single car is too heavy in your eyes, maybe the problem is with your perception.

Luckily, as a canadian, my government allows me to endanger myself from time to time, and with our 15 year import law, the TVR cerbera will be legal for import next year. :h: 2400 pounds of 350hp british glued together goodness.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Are we still talking looks? Because a Honda Civic Si (I would dare go as far as saying even the sedan.) looks like 10x better than the Mustang for way cheaper.

You're talking about bringing an inflatable hammer to a knife fight, son. Looks are subjective. I personally perfer the current accord coupe to the mustangs looks, but dollar for dollar, 22 grand gets you a 300hp RWD borderline sports car from ford, or a 175hp FWD pretty appliance from honda.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Right but not everyone is a little Ricky Racer who needs a 300HP car to inflate their ego. Some people LIKE the little luxury items. Some people like cars that aren't as ugly as the new Mustang. Some people like FWD.

And a lot of people just don't like Ford.

Are you sure you're in the right place? This isn't Automotive Practicality.

also, i'm looking at the civic SI coupe, and i can't possibly see what it has over a base mustang. The interior "feature" list is more padded than a 12 year olds training bra. http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-coupe/specifications.aspx?group=interior

door mats! beverage holders! door-pocket storage bins!

add to that that it gets about the same gas mileage, yet require premium, and it seems what it really comes down to is just that

quote:

And a lot of people just don't like Ford.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

travisray2004 posted:

I can see why some people don't like the looks of the new Mustang but I say you all are blind :haw:

There won't be any competition from Toyota. I almost guarantee it. IF it makes it to production, it'll be severely watered down, bland, cost more than projected and probably be a Scion (not that it should matter), because it would be a complete contradiction of what Toyota is trying to market the Scion brand as if their sportiest vehicle wore a Toyota badge.

It would really be no different than the cobalt SS being faster than any pontiac G5 with pontiac being the "performance" brand. Toyota markets Scion as a youth-targeted brand, they'd have to be nuts to price it any higher than 25 grand.

anyways, CAR NEWS!

Ford dropped the prices on the 2011 base models in canada, you can still see the 2010s on the site to compare.

Fusion: 21,500 -> 20,000
Taurus: 30,000 -> 28,000
Mustang: 24,500 -> 23,000
ranger: 17,800 -> 14,000
F-150: 24,600 -> 20,000

The higher end is still up there, like the $48,000 SHO and the $50,300 raptor, but on the lower end, it does make interenet cross-shopping interesting, and other companies will no doubt be forced to respond. the fusion is $2600 cheaper than the hyundai sonata, and $4000 cheaper than the chevy malibu. Chevy is still sticking with the "keep the price high and offer huge rebates" thing they can revoke at any time, but it seems ford is certain the dollar is going to stay where it is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know if a RWD drivetrain could ever fit under a snub Mini hood.

BMW might even take issue with Mini's brand identity and heritage by going RWD.

I'm sure BMW gives a poo poo about mini's heritage

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/24/breaking-spyker-sells-car-unit-to-coachbuilders-cpp/

Spyker buys Saab
Spyker sells Spyker car business

So now Spyker builds Saabs and CPP builds Spykers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

redscare posted:

Its probably going to be a replacement for the Caliber. Might be a Fiat, might be an Alfa.

The Calibur replacement is chrysler-designed and will be the basis for an alfa "global" car. The lancia delta was supposed to make it's way over here at some point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New toyota matrix!

You can really see the bloodlines there.

sorry subaru fans

edit: that fuel mileage is pretty good, the last impreza was only rated at 27mpg highway.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 20, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I like the MPG gauge thing, but it would be better if it had numbers instead of just + and -.

It's not just hatches either, most sedans seem to be blending into eachother as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My 67 cougar had the filler cap behind the licence plate at the back of the car and could fuel up from either side, that's the most obvious, most elegant, and most convenient solution. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Revolvyerom posted:

I feel old when I see 3,000 pound-ish cars and think they're about 500 pounds north of a normal car, speaking of early 80's

This should make you feel better about the weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wG4uy-Phs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Browsing motor trend at 2am, as i often do, and i ran across their review of the 2011 GMC sierra 2500HD when something struck me.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1012_2011_gmc_sierra_2500hd_work_truck_test/specs.html

Curb weight 6522 lb
0-60 mph 5.9 sec
Quarter mile 14.8 sec @ 91.3 mph

That's as quick as pretty much any current v6 auto pony car. Something that weighs 6522lbs. drat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nitrox posted:

It gets 11mpg in realistic driving settings. Imagine how much it burns through during that 1/4 mile run.

11? probably closer to 20.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-fuel-economy-test.html

The 7560lb crew cab 4x4 did 19.66mpg over a 160 mile course unloaded, and 13.28mpg with a 10,000lb trailer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Was just bored and reading up on some cars.

Despite weighing over 4000lbs and having more horsepower than any of the previous generation taurus SHOs, the 2013 2.0T taurus will be the most fuel efficient taurus they have ever built.

Technology!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 18, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The scary part is that the skyG engine runs 14:1 compression and requires premium gas. Eventually, somebody is going to put regular in, or just plain bad gas, and at 14:1 compression some bad things could happen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

grover posted:

Don't all modern fuel-injected engines have safeguards to detect predetonation and prevent damage from occurring?

That is one hell of a compression, though! Do they expect piston cavities and multi-hole injection to be that effective?

Here's Mazda's press release on it:

Yes, most modern engines have knock sensors, and can adjust timing for bad fuel. With 14:1 compression and bad fuel or 87 octane fuel, the engine might have to shut itself down.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Won't the Miller cycle-ing reduce the stress of the 14.0:1 compression?

It would if it is actually a 14:1 expansion ratio which in a miller would mean ~12:1 compression ratio

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 20, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Without a supercharger it's not a miller cycle, it's an atkinson cycle like the prius or fusion hybrid. They run 13:1 and 12.4:1 "compression" on reg gas, so i guess it might not be that much of an issue.

If the knock sensor detects detonation, it'll probably keep the intake valve open longer effectively lowering the compression ratio, and lowering power output.

At 83hp and 82ft/lbs, what mazda has esentially made here is an engine that sacrifices power and the ability to run regular gas to produce a really high fuel economy rating. The world's first gasoline powered diesel!(minus the torque)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

It's not like it's some huge secret as to how they're tested.

The base model mustang is rated at 31mpg highway, and ford got 48.5mpg in ideal conditions http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=32844

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I swear, i'm starting to like bench racing more than real racing.

The boss 302 was on the stock pirelli pzero
The audi r8 was also on stock pirelli pzero
the BMW m3 was michelin pilot sport PS2s, but had a 7 speed auto and steel roof/sunroof

Both the audi r8 and M3 were driven by randy pobst, another winning professional race driver. The same randy pobst who pushed a GT500 past a zr1 on streets of willow springs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lowclock posted:

It's probably more just BMW makes weird dyno charts.

It's more about modern turbo engines.

Here's what ford released for the taurus SHO ecoobost

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They should have hi-lo like a 9 speed.

code:
  5 7
R 1 3
|-|-|
L 2 4
  6 8
Where you hit a sitch after 4th and shift into the one slot to get 5.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 1, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

How much of your life have you wasted paddling a Fuller 8LL? I'm guessing either none at all, or a ton more than I have. No other options could explain that opinion.

All of my driving time was spent on 18 speeds, eaton-fuller or mack, a hi-lo transmission would really seperate the men from the boys.

edit: also, they should add a splitter and make it a 14 speed

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 1, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motor trend just tested both the ecoboost and 6.2 f-150s, surprisingly, the ecoboost is quicker than the 6.2 even though the 3.5 had a 3.55 and the 6.2 had the 3.73, probably from being 600lbs lighter.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1106_2011_ford_f_150_lariat_ecoboost_first_test/specs_and_pricing.html
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1107_2011_ford_f_150_harley_davidson_edition_first_test/index.html

I took a 5.0 to vancouver through the mountains, and absolutely need one but i'm not quite sure if i can give up the V8 growl for the turbo torque.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lazer_chicken posted:

:siren: european spotted :siren:

Because we don't get diesels in anything in the US :( We'd rather get 13mpg from a gas v8 in the same vehicle, apparently.

I drive a diesel and get 13mpg. Best of both worlds!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently the opel astra "coupe"(as a buick verano coupe) and Mercedes A-class coupe will both be making their way over here.

Hot hatches coming in by way of luxury brands. Can't see them doing too well. Hopefully companies don't assume that because nobody buys $30,000 hot hatches, nobody wants hot hatches at all. It's a shame ford doesn't try to put the fiesta coupe or Ka up against the fiat 500 here. The base fiat 500 is $15,500, whereas the fiesta starts at 13,200 but is sedan/5-door only.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm not a big fan of em, but apparently somebody really likes the nissan titan

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Twelve+vehicles+stolen+from+Sunridge+Nissan/5162422/story.html

5 of them were among the 12-14 vehicles they stole in a single night.

quote:

CALGARY – A northeast Calgary Nissan dealership has been targeted by thieves.

The culprits broke into the Sunridge Nissan dealership on 32nd Avenue N.E. on Sunday and took the keys to at least twelve new vehicles. They then drove off with the vehicles, which include five Titan trucks, three Altima sedans, two Rogue SUVs, a Pathfinder and a Frontier.

The vehicles were discovered missing during an inventory count and have an estimated worth of $361,000.

Police are warning the public to be cautious when purchasing any of the listed Nissan vehicles especially those with particularly low mileage.

Potential buyers should ask the seller to produce paper documentation of ownership. These vehicles have been flagged and will not be able to be registered.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lowclock posted:

Considering the average decent size dealership probably has at least a few million in inventory, you think they'd at least lock up all the keys somewhere safe.

Apparently, all the keys were in the "key room", guarded by a locked doorhandle.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are people here really upset that there's one less "truck sold as a car" out there? Ford has made an "SUV" that most of the SUVs market seems to want to buy that has car height bumpers, isn't incredbily heavy/top heavy, isn't a gas guzzler.

For years they've been selling the explorer to people who should have a car but want a truck. Now they're selling a car to to someone who thinks they're buying a truck.

quote:

only tow 5,000lbs

Seriously? only? Do you want more than 5000lbs behind a car with irs? The toyota 4runner is 5000lbs, the chevy colorado max is 6000lbs, the toyota tacoma is 6500lbs, the 1/2 ton pick-up based toyota sequoia is 7100lbs.

Not everything with a tow hitch needs to tow 11,000lbs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Currently, an Explorer Limited V6 FWD already costs $2,000 more than a similarly equipped Durango V8 R/T RWD. According to the press release, the I4 Explorer will cost an additional $995 more than a comparable V6.

So you pay $3k more for the Exploder with a 240hp I4, which at current fuel prices in the US will take about 55,000 miles to recover in fuel economy savings at the Explorer's combined 23mpg vs the V8 Durango's 16mpg.

A v8 lariat f-150 is $200 less, weighs about the same, tows far more, and gets 1mpg better combined.

But it seats 1 less, so chrysler has that massive 2 adults + 5 kids + 7400lb boat market on lock.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

This crazy 4-gullwing door plug-in hybrid Ford EVOS will never be remotely like the concept if it ever sees production, but I'd be very interested in it either way. Real funky looking backside though.

ford has always done design stuff like this that while it doesn't always completely make production, it's usually an indication of the general design trend.

see: iosis concept vs current mondeo, super chief concept vs current f-series, interceptor concept vs current taurus, iosis max concept vs b-max, verve concept vs focus ST.

The only way they could have been more transparent with where the design elements of the evos will end up, would be if there was a pony emblem on the grille, stretch it out, tone it down, put normal doors on and you're probably looking at the next mustang.

Call me crazy, but i see some similar features here.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 31, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coinstarpatrick posted:

Judging by its absence from the past 20 pages I may be the only one but... I'm pretty hard for the new Kia Rio 5.

So much so that I watched this whole video of this goofy yet amiable Kia salesman going over its finer features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE21bqt17Lw&feature=related

I really liked the styling of the new Optima when I first saw it, and this to me is like a smaller version with a very Fiesta/MK5 golf vibe.

That reminds me, in the calgary sun, there was a kia add and one of their featured vehicles they had listed as a "RIO 5EX"

I of course laughed because I'm immature.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's also supposed to be the next ford fusion.

edit:

yeah, i'd say the rendering is pretty drat close.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 2, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's the current euro ford mondeo. Probably a test mule for engines for the next fusion/mondeo

edit: maybe not, it looks like a toned down mondeo.

Yeah, it's just the current mondeo.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 4, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found this rather odd.

http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/orlando/overview

A 7 seater based on the chevy cruze, built in korea, and it's being sold in canada, but not the US or mexico.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is the Jetta hybrid the first OEM hybrid with a turbo? Too bad it's on such a boring car.

A boring hybrid? you don't say!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Speaking of boring family sedans.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/2013-ford-fusion-debuts-along-with-47-mpg-fusion-hybrid-100-mpg/

New fusion/mondeo. It even has a 2 liter ecoboost/awd option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking at the genesis coupe, i would think ford will most likely match them shot for shot with a 275hp i4 and 350hp v6 with the 5.0 getting bumped to 450hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Shots of the new production Lincoln MKZ are out. Shocker: it's actually pretty good looking and looks really close to the concept. Even the grille.

]

The new wing grille actually looks pretty good, and I'm really liking the decision to go back to normal sized headlights that end before the wheel wells. Ditto for the lack of dumb vents, swooshes, or wacky super raked beltlines. Seriously, the design is looking positively germanic, and I mean that in a good way. A pretty clean and simple design. I'm also digging the rear light treatment and that little duckbill-like flare on a bangle butt is pretty cool, too. Rear greenhouse profile is reminiscent of Ian Callum's Jaguars, maybe.

Also, apparently it's got active noise cancellation, which sounds interesting, too.

You forgot the best part, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHPnk443XY

The glass roof fucks off at the push of a button. This genuinely excites me for the future of lincoln.

edit: speaking of buttons:

so not much chance of a stick

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 3, 2012