Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The TC is neat but it has a difficult time even unladen on the freeway so I wouldn't dare trying to drive it with a motorcycle and tools in the back.

Great for urban areas, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Coredump posted:

From the Car and Driver article it sounds like the Transit Connect is okay on the highway.

That's interesting, what I read in Edmunds' review was that it would be great around town but if you were planning to do a lot of highway miles it would probably be not so great.

I don't really trust C&D anyway though.

edit: their newest review of it seems to say that it's fine on the highway so I dunno what's up with that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 29, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Back to the TC, according to Autoblog they just got approved for cab use in Boston. loving awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If I were to ever purchase a Porsche, goddamn I am buying those wheels no matter the cost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FedEx posted:

You're forgetting the Noble M600

Hmm yes sir here we are comparing special trackday versions of more pedestrian cars, I see how the Noble M600 fits in with the conversation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FedEx posted:

is the M600 not a hardcore, driver focused evolution of their earlier and much cheaper models?

No, it's not, it's a new design from a company whose base model cars are already retarded trackday specials with the build quality of a kit car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hey y'all peep the new QX-56.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Christ almighty it's ugly. I had a visceral reaction to it when I saw the picture.

Edit: oopsie table broken, that should do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Compared to the old one, the beltine and the window thing is positively artistic though. What the gently caress were they thinking with the C-pillar on the old one?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The new Focus is probably going to kick the poo poo out of everything in the segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Honda's been quite successful in the past so there's no reason to be doom-and-glooming about the company right now. They need to up their compete level, but they've shown the ability to do that in the past, and if the corporate culture isn't totally hosed, they'll be OK.

If anything, I'd say this is a huge positive for Honda (delaying the new Civic) because it shows that they're actually taking their problems seriously rather than rolling out something good-but-not-great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The C6 is one of the most innovative cars from a design standpoint and that really just looks like a derivative two box with a Citroen grill. Booooring.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

tripsevens posted:

well played sir, well played

Those are both Nissans. The top is a Sentra and the bottom is an Altima.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The gearbox on Subaru turbo motors hurts them as well. Not nearly as good as the 6sp auto that Hyundai is using in terms of fuel efficiency.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The huge hood and tiny trunk also resemble every single FR sporting car ever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It looks like poo poo though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They added some sound deadening materials and things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

It's actually "Equus," latin for "horse."

Thanks, that was driving me loving insane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tire compound would be my guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr JonboyG posted:

But they know they can fit Z rated tyres because the XFR and XJR have them! Not that I'm doubting you, but I'd been starting to seriously think about getting a Jag in the next few years and now they can gently caress off. My old man's company recently loaned them €75 million, he should have told them they could only have the money if they weren't retarded.

It does raise the question though - if you replaced the rubber for something decent, how easy would it be to change the limiter?

I bet you could get the dealer to do it, I'd imagine it's software.

Of course they can fit Z-rated tires, but like Muffinpox says, most people don't give a poo poo about Z-rated tires. And it'd be kind of irresponsible to let the car go faster than the tires are rated for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Sorta the point for someone who can afford to rally in a brand new car. If you tear any bodywork, I'm sure the whole piece can be replaced between stages very quickly.

The DS3 R3 isn't carbon fiber, the little BMW city car mockup is CF.

And anyway, it's just the frame on the BMW. If the steel frame of a car deforms significantly it's written off anyway, so it's not like that makes much of a difference. And regarding the BMW, there's no indication that the bodywork will also be CF (and I'd highly doubt it, since that would be prohibitively expensive).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That thing looks like a packaging nightmare. Couldn't find dimensions, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like Audi's unified brand image a lot, actually.

And that A7 looks roughly fourteen thousand times better than the 5GT, but is that even a true competitor?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Spatule posted:

That's not really a feat, considering that the 5GT is a giant turd on wheels. Is there anything worse in the same price range ?

Yeah, the X6.

I'm just trying to think of segment similar vehicles. I guess it'll compete with the Panamera and the CLS as well, but the Panamera has a look only a mother could love and the CLS is really staid looking. I'd imagine/hope that the A7 will beat the Panamera on price.

edit: Speaking of the BMW uggo twins, my dealer tells me that they haven't moved many of either, but they're a little hopeful on the 5GT once it comes out with AWD (since this is New England). I think they've moved about three X6s and five 5GTs YTD, and I'm in a volume location.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can't really compare concept to production. BMW'll gently caress it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

People said exactly the same thing about the XF concept and look where it ended up. The XF is still good looking but it's not in the same realm as the concept.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The lease term is 350/mo 36 months, 2500 down plus associated fees due at signing. That seems like a much better proposition on a totally new design, provided you get in under the mileage limit.

And after tax credits and everything I think the net is around $33500... which is basically where everyone expected the net to be. Yawn.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Irony is it's a car that only makes fiscal sense if you are racking up a shitload of miles.

Oh yeah, the lease is clearly for people who are willing to pay a premium to have it because it's cool and neat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ozziegt posted:

Only if you are doing it less than 40 miles at a time.

I've been wondering that, how's the Volt's fuel efficiency if you were to drain the battery all the way and then drive around with the gas engine on all the time?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Anyone who is analyzing the 918 as a value proposition really has no understanding of that market.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh cool, they took the XJ and made it uglier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

travisray2004 posted:

Apart from the wheels I don't see how they made it uglier.

I don't like the front end treatment at all and the wheels are godawful and as as far as I can see those are the only changes they made.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ziploc posted:

Black rear pillars made to fake out a bigger window is unique and sexy? I think it looks stupid.

That's kind of a weird touch but other than that I really like the back. The blacked out C pillars look better on dark colored cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Swordfish posted:

Has there been any news about the fiat 500 getting the abarth treatment in the states. I'd guess that's pretty unlikely.

They'll be using the 1.4 MultiAir 135HP engine on the 500 Sport or whatever they're going to call it. There will be an equivalent to the base Abarth but it probably won't be Abarth-branded and we almost definitely won't get the EsseEsse.

Sir Tonk, the Focus RS and the Fiat 500 have literally nothing to do with each other and we'll see a 135HP Fiat before the upcoming RS even goes in to series production.

edit: Fiat 500 Sport courtesy of AB http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/14/chrysler-shows-off-fiat-500-sport-for-north-america/
My main question is about suspension tuning.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 16, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KERS sounds interesting but yeah that's not the Lotus I love.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The comp point for the new Lotus is supposedly the Ferrari 599. The comp point for the Evora is like Porsche Cayman/low end 911.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really like the new Elan, I think it's the best looking of the new Lotus products.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It just somehow looks off to me. The current one looks hideous but at least seems relatively coherent to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Probably because the front bumper (and possibly the rear as well) has another stuck over the top as camouflage.

Well yeah, that probably doesn't help, but I was looking more at the non-camouflaged part.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Coredump posted:

Screw you haters, I would drive it.

Yeah that thing crosses right on in to Owns territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I couldn't find prices for a 1985 Corolla GTS, but I bet it wasn't that much cheaper in real dollars than $25k. Not to mention -- if the FT86 stays RWD and stays lighter than most coupes out there, that really is bringing home the bacon in a market where there's few new cars like it.

Found a window sticker for a 85 GTS which was $11,650, or $22,970 in CPS adjusted dollars in 2009 - so yeah, it ain't that far off. CPS is a little aggressive, though. That sticker is pretty optioned out, I think.