Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Let's see

Acura TL ugly as gently caress
Acura TSX ugly as gently caress, and they had to add a bigger engine midstream since the four banger wasn't cutting it at in that segment
Accord Crosstour ugly as gently caress, not even really advertised since they know it will fail
Acura ZDX same story, plus wrong product at the wrong time economy-wise
CR-Z ugly as gently caress and not invigorating to drive or great on gas
Insight ugly as gently caress plus universally panned in just about every way

I would say Honda has lost it. They can get it back.

Didn't Toyota delay the last re-design of the Corolla because they knew they had a product that couldn't stand up to the then-new (2006?) Civic? The resulting car wasn't really very compelling in that case.

Edit: I have a ratty 1995 Integra and it is still a great car. It has some rust and numerous cosmetic issues, but all the controls are just SO RIGHT. Get back to this Honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

So what is the fix? Different pad formulation?

Every Honda I've ever worked on with rear discs had a hunger for rear pads. I think they either balance the system really well or they just use the tiniest rear brakes they can find.

Chrysler getting out in front of a problem BEFORE accidents or injuries is a positive step.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Why should Hyundai stop at picking the car up for service. They could have a really informative website with a form to have a salesman bring the car out to the prospective buyer for a test drive.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Slothophile posted:

The 918 just got green lit....

gently caress yes.
I wonder if there is anything that could be done to make it look any more like a Ferrari.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Linedance posted:

Is laughing an appropriate response?

I don't know, but that is exactly the response that I had.

And I say this as a person that appreciates minivans and the utility and space that they offer.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I don't care much for the Juke - I think the Range Rover Evoque looks much better on the "build something that looks like a concept car" front (the Isuzu Vehicross and Toyota FJ Cruiser too, actually).

However, like the Juke, I'm not convinced by some of the drivetrain choices.

I don't think the Evoque and the Juke are targetting the same customer base.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

At this point we should consider ourselves lucky that the Civic Si isn't a regular Civic with an electric motor stuck onto the side a la CR-Z.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Preoptopus posted:

I just realized, imagine getting a small ding in that door.....

The major creases on that door strengthen the metal and help make the panel more resistant to door dings.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Did they choose the boxer engine just to make it really difficult to service?

What would the problem be with using a big displacement four cylinder or the high-revving 1.8L from the old Celica GT-S?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Those ultra flat torque curves mean show two things.

First that modern variable nozzle turbos, electronic wastegates, and direct injection enable automakers to really fine tune the output of their engines.

Second that they left peak torque and corresponding midrange power on the table.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lets also remember that a rather small percentage of fatal accidents are vehicle vs. vehicle. Most fatal accidents involve car vs. tree or cliff or other fixed object.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

DogDodger posted:

Worked for the European B7 RS 4...

Only because VAG can't make a window regulator to save their lives.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

A Mazda rotary hybrid sounds like a pretty good idea on paper. A sporty one could even work, given the light weight of the ICE and the way that the high torque electric motor and the free-revving rotary engine would balance each other out.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

For all of the whining about how cars like the Toyota Camry are no fun to drive compared to other cars in the same segment, I would like to see a comparison test between midsize models with equal wheel and tire setups and equal rear sway bars. These upgrades are easy as pie and I bet the differences between the cars' handling would practically disappear.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Motronic posted:

Considering it's a new car for $10k, I'm thinking there can't be any requirements at all.

The Nissan Versa starts at under $11k brand new in the US and meets all safety and emissions requirements.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

They make more money selling Buicks than Chevys. In a year or two they will offer the Cruze with the turbo motor.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Making an ultra durable car is a waste of time because most cars will eventually be scrapped due to rust or body damage from a car accident, force of nature, etc.

That ultra-durable philosophy can be applied to a "sunny day" car like a Porsche that accumulates comparatively few miles and avoids severe weather in the confines of a garage.

Also, anything that adds $1 at the time of manufacturing is going to add $4 or more at the time of sale. An extra $1000 on rustproofing will add $4000 to the price tag on the car. This is fine when selling a halo car, but it doesn't work at all when trying to sell a commuter vehicle. It also weakens the confidence of buyers of the 'regular' version of the car.

Ford sells a version of the Taurus to police fleets. The "cop version" has things like upgraded wheel bearings to cope with the severe duty cycle of police vehicles. Why don't they put those tougher wheel bearings on all Taurus models?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

The accident argument seems fairly reasonable, though you would have to look at accident rates over time to see just how common it is to total out cars over time (I bet it's less common than you think). But not really the rust one. You can stop rust by spending money on engineering.

Advanced rust protection techniques pretty much fall apart when a car has been in a collision. Modern body shops do pretty much poo poo work across the board. The work performed by a body shop would take any advanced rust protection and lower it to the same level as any other car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Because they're not necessary and other parts of the car will fail far in advance of the wheel bearings on a normal duty schedule, and consumers would prefer to save a couple hundred bucks on something they really don't need and doesn't have any noticeable impact.
Except upgraded wheel bearings would probably cost Ford maaaaybe three dollars per corner.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

I'd rather have a 335i, never mind an M3. Assuming that the M3 is more expensive than the IS-F, I'm not even sure. I would have to think the big DOHC V8 in the IS-F is not going to do it any favors in spirited driving.
The M3 is also powered by a DOHC V-8.

I would also be mad if someone asked to open a beer in my car. Open container laws are a bitch. The whining about someone drinking a beer near his car is ridiculous though.

If it was an American car people were drinking beers near it on the assembly line amirite?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

AdmiralViscen posted:

a 4 liter turbo, not a 5 liter that's basically the base engine for the brand's full size car. The M3 is 51/49 weight distro, the IS-F is 54/46. i would assume this is mostly engine, but I could not find weight for the lexus engine. M3 engine is 445lb.
The M3's engine is not turbocharged. Furthermore, the displacement of an engine has little effect on the engine's weight.

A turbocharger system (if the M3 had one) definitely adds weight. The turbo, the piping, the intercooler, the larger exhaust, the additional heat shielding, it all adds up.

Engine weights are not scientific. Engines can be weighed in different configurations. With alternator or without? With power steering pump or without? Full of coolant and oil or empty?

The Lexus is lame because it has a torque converter automatic. Other than that it seems like it is pretty competitive with the M3. Something tells me the Lexus has a significantly lower total cost of ownership (cost of insurance, maintenance, repairs, depreciation) than the M3. I would rather have a CTS-V than either of them for whatever that's worth. Superior German adhesives just aren't worth much to me.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Faerunner posted:

The successor to the Integra/RSX has a Civic powertrain? And cloth seats?

Will wonders never cease!

The Integra and RSX were never offered with base-Civic SOHC engines. The Integra had engines that were not available at all in the Civic. The RSX base engine was only available in the Civic Si of the time.

Acura has been offering a straight-up Civic rebadge in Canda for a long time though, first the 1.7EL and then the CSX.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Insert joke about Italian cars REQUIRING constant visibility of warning lights.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The new GM truck looks pretty awful to me. Those square shaped wheel cutouts and flares look stupid and can't do anything good for wind resistance. The grille looks tacky. The marketing-speak attached to the six cylinder engine is pretty comical.

I bet GM spends a lot less money per engine than Ford and Toyota though. They buy half as many valves and one fourth the camshafts.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Powershift posted:

Look at what they're coming from though

These things had a 2.2l iron duke i4 and 3 speed auto. Having a finished vehicle from a major manufacturer that is nearly the same size and probably doubles the fuel economy is huge. I've seen a couple transit connects going through auction and they go loving CHEAP. like 7-8k with 90,000kms

My mom works for USPS and she complains all the time about the LLVs. Their winter traction is pretty terrible, they have no aircon, and the cabin isn't insulated at all so the heat is pretty much nonexistent in the winter. She cannot wait for a replacement.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

It looks like a cross between an Elise and an MR2 Spyder.

Gotta love the back window that lets you see the engine... oh wait that's just a plastic engine cover.

I'll take a Corvette, thanks.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The tuatara is also the fastest evolving animal (at a molecular/DNA level) yet studied.

And they reach sexual maturity after at least 35 years and can live for over 200 years.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I think part of it is a perceived quality issue. Cars with CVTs sound awful. There is no change in engine speed so it sounds like the transmission is slipping (which it is in a way).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Is that a real car? That double bubble rear window looks expensive.

I like it. It kind of looks like someone took 1000 piece puzzles of a Nissan 350Z and an Audi TT and managed to put them together.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

All I see is a bunch of monochromatic grainy cheap plastic that would be lambasted in an American vehicle. It looks like the 2007 Pontiac G6 I sat in recently.

Gauge clusters all looked like that in the early 1990s.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Timing belts are cheaper, lighter, quieter and have less parasitic drag.

Timing belts for all, just engineer the car so that the t-belt can be changed in a reasonable amount of time.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

It isn't costs that make modern cars no fun. It is electric steering, eco gas saver tires and rear camber settings set up so that a car will always understeer no matter what happens.

Take a dull car, put sticky tires, camber bolts, and a rear sway bar on it and it will be ten times more fun in corners.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

An SUV built on a Ranger frame? Like an Explorer?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Remaining:
Wrangler, Xterra, FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, GX470

All of these stretch the definition of small. I guess the two door Wrangler is still fairly small.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The current car is competitive in terms of engine performance already. The 3.6L is pretty powerful.

The rest of the car is not so good though.

It looks like those rumors that the 200 replacement would be RWD are false. There is no way that car isn't FWD looking at those proportions.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I will assume the engineers wanted the fast shifts of a DSG but they couldn't engineer the low-speed harshness out of it (no one really has). The AWD is a decent answer to the problem of AWD systems and their negative effects on fuel economy. This system probably adds about the same amount of weight as a beefed up rear subframe, driveshaft and differential but has near zero additional friction.

Being a Honda all this technology probably works pretty well and with good reliability.

I can't understand the crying about shifter button shapes. Who gives a poo poo?

Acuras have been pretty ugly lately.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Once the diesel option is no longer the hot new thing in the ad copy the manufacturer will probably unbuckle it from the expensive option packages.

The release of the diesel Chevy Colorado will probably also play a role in less restrictive availability of the diesel engine in the Ram.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Most cars have stupid high speedometers, why is this surprising to you that it's in a Chrysler? And how high would you have your steering column adjusted such that the bottom of the speedometer wouldn't be visible? Sounds like driving a bus.

2009 Corolla:

To be fair, the top half of the tach on that Corolla will never be used either.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

So the Toyota-BMW will have no soul AND no cooling system.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

That is ambitious pricing. The Tacoma starts $2000 cheaper and has the Toyota repuation. I don't think GM is going to have a lot of luck selling these without $3000 on the hood.

The extra stuff that comes standard on the GM twins is not the sort of stuff that gets low-end small truck buyers excited (especially fleet operators): a power seat, useless LED accent lights, and larger wheels that require more expensive tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah I don't understand why they wouldn't have used a dual clutch transmission--you could probably mark it up even more.
Lotus has a near-zero engineering budget, and their mechanical parts bin (the Toyota Camry) doesn't have a dual clutch transmission.