Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Toyota must be behind on their Consumer Reports protection payments, because they've just issued a :siren:DO NOT BUY:siren:on the Lexus GX570.

Apparently 4 ton live axle trucks don't do corners well.

Morons. You own one of those to crawl around third world countries in while surrounded in leather and "Bubinga" wood trim. They're awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hey y'all peep the new QX-56.

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

Christ almighty it's ugly. I had a visceral reaction to it when I saw the picture.

Edit: oopsie table broken, that should do it.

It looks Chinese. How does the dealership conversation go with the people who buy those things? I really don't understand what they must be thinking.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

anonumos posted:

This thing looks good! I might consider buying a newer Jeep if they keep this up. I'm sticking with the XJ for another year or two though (15 years strong!).

They look nice, I'd forgotten how expensive SUV's can be though. No wonder the automakers ended up relying on them.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

frozenphil posted:

The Explorer's engine is being replaced with the new 305hp v6 that gets 31mpg highway. I'm not sure what Toyota is doing, but do people cross shop the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee?

The new explorer is going to get 31mpg highway with a gas engine? Have they turned it into a crossover? I think you've posted the mustang figure. Do people really care about 10-15hp and ft/lb between engines, assuming it's not detuned to 280hp or so for the explorer.

They've always had nicer interiors than anything from Ford or especially GM as well.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 30, 2010

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

frozenphil posted:

What I'm saying is that it seems weird to me that you would build a brand new engine and not make it better than existing engines in your category.

It is better than the existing engines though? Compare it to the current Ford 4.0 or the Chrysler 3.7

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

Who, Chrysler? Ahahahaha suuuure they have....

Not Chrysler in general, Jeep Grand Cherokees in particular.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think they look better in real life than in photos. But the 2.0 really needs more power and the interior is average.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

If I don't get an MX-5 next year, I'm getting a Gen Coupe. I love these cars, I hope they stick around, but they probably will follow the 240sx out of the US pretty quick. Everyone in DFW seems to prefer the Mustang.

Why would you get one over a Mustang? The interior is less offensive but that's about all I can think of.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Coredump posted:

Yeah but its dumb. That's like saying European when you really mean someone from France. If you're talking about the United States, say the United States. Don't refer to the whole drat continent when you're really talking about one country.

Dumb or not, everyone knows what he meant, which is all that really matters. What else would you call someone from the US, a "United States of American?"

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

Yes, most modern engines have knock sensors, and can adjust timing for bad fuel. With 14:1 compression and bad fuel or 87 octane fuel, the engine might have to shut itself down.

Even if it can run in some kind of limp mode any reduction from 62kw will make it hilariously slow.

62kw is bad enough already, they better put it in something light.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I guess the torque is limited to save the transmission?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
They are comfortable cars to drive. I would take one over a Camry without hesitation. A new one would be a bad move though, the depreciation appears to be epic.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 19, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
If someone told 2005 me that the 3 best small cars in the US in 2011 would be made by Ford, GM and Hyundai I'd have laughed.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It'll be interesting to see how many they sell, diesel is the same price as premium gas, if you can save money on fuel and get better city mpg it wont be compelling. I see a few Jetta tdi's around though so there must be some appeal. They are vastly outnumbered by the prius of course.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I am seeing EV charging stations slowly appearing in DC, both at shopping complexes and in parking garages attached to office buildings.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
It seems like direct injection helps a lot when it comes to running low octane, the new Hyundai 2.0 and the new Ford 5.0 are both fine with it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

Because a 318d is still expensive.

In the US a new C class or 3 series can be leased for under $350/mo, they're not exactly unobtainable or uncommon.

It's nice to fly below the radar sometimes as well, the average pedestrian is an idiot (who was probably cut off on their way to work by a leased C class and would be happy to key one)

sanchez fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 7, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Naky posted:

That's pretty hosed. Here in Canada, you get a base model C series for about 1000/mo with 0 down leased. Literally pissing money away.

These are not $0 down, $3500-4500 is needed. Still not out of reach for someone with any kind of decent income though.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Especially the QX56, which somehow manages to be so tacky it makes the Escalade look restrained and classy.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I would never expect useful information from a salesperson, even if it sounds right they may just be lying to get the sale. New cars have the same rule as used ones, do your own research first.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Powershift posted:

Speaking of boring family sedans.

New fusion/mondeo. It even has a 2 liter ecoboost/awd option.

I hope they have reworked the base 4cyl transmission a bit, failures abound.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

It's funny too, because Fusions are really loving nice cars and are decidedly less boring than most in the segment.

I don't know which fusions you drive but the FWD 4cyl we have is not exactly thrilling. I'd take an Accord any day, Honda really knows how to build a 4cyl engine and the interior quality is better. Fusion has more options for a fair bit less money though so perhaps it's not a totally fair comparison.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

e- also enough about interior quality, Hondas and Toyotas and everyone else uses cheap plastic too. I don't know why this is still A Thing in 2012, the Big Three have been getting positive reviews on their build quality for over a year now.

The Fusion is all hard kind of scaly looking plastic and fake aluminium, it's just not very nice. The blue instruments are tacky. I also hope the transmission explodes before the powertrain warranty is up rather than after, it's been in twice for software updates and still does weird things from time to time. The engine can be harsh and intrusive at WOT, the Accord can get noisy too but at least it sounds better.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 11, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The Optima is a really good looking car with a great engine. Interior seemed so-so however.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

It's also a very good car and enormously fast. Probably worth every cent.

Especially when you look at what other cars cost in Aussie (Standard WRX is mid 40's?). I think 68k for something like that is a fair deal.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

adorai posted:

How about they bring back and modernize the h series motors? In 2001 you could get 200hp and 160ft/lbs of torque out of 2.2 liters, with a redline over 7k. I am sure they can squeeze another 10% out of that with the lessons learned from the k series.

Wasn't that 1991? The H22A was a great engine, the BB4 Prelude I had with one was one of the best cars I've owned. It was quick and absolutely reliable.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

HairyNipple! posted:

I think it looks Chinese.

It's telling that Chinese is the new Korean, Hyundai is moving up in the world.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
High beltlines and cars with built in DVD players makes make wonder if the current generation of kids will grow up and have no clue how to drive anywhere. It must suck being stuck in the back unable to look out and actually see anything.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Note I said "drive," not "ride." All that pillowy suspension travel is also likely to give the vehicle a hell of a lot of body roll and generally not inspire confidence or provide for high-speed stability or comfort on the highway. More air resistance and frontal area also means more wind noise, and off-roadish tires mean more road noise.

Fortunately the average US highway is very straight with a 65mph speed limit, handling does not matter much let alone how the car responds at 100+mph

They are extremely quiet and smooth (takes a lot to unsettle that much weight, you don't notice potholes on a bus either).

I don't think you've been for a ride in a recent Expedition or Tahoe, try it sometime, people don't buy them just because they love driving awful cars.

Logically enough, full size pickups are the same. The seats might not be great but actual ride comfort in an F150 or Ram in terms of isolation from the road surface is pretty good, better than any non-luxury car I've been in.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 18, 2012

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dissss posted:

Are fleets still buying the Falcon in Australia? Over in NZ they've been almost entirely replaced with the Focus and Mondeo (or Mazda 3 and 6) or possibly diesel Hyundais and Volkswagens.

That is just depressing :(

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

dissss posted:

Honestly if I had to choose a company that I'd need to spend a lot of time in it'd be a diesel Mondeo over a Falcon - its just a better appliance with much better economy.

I know, but a couple of generations of my family grew up being dragged around by Falcons, it's just sad to see that come to an end. The I6 layout is the best layout also.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

You bet I would if it had a twin-turbo 355hp V6 and AWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuJTmXH1U_4

They are pretty awesome.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Is the Astra not an astonishingly boring econobox anymore?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

davebo posted:

Look at your wrongness:

That photo cleverly obscures the worst part of the car.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

NOTinuyasha posted:

$26,000 for a poverty-spec Fusion is a ripoff.

That's MSRP which is kind of meaningless, that wasn't a stripper model either.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The iQ has a sixteen foot turning radius. That means you can easily do a u-turn inside your average two car garage with room to spare.

I would like to see one on sticky tires do this at speed.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

So, apparently Chevy is going to bring over another Zeta platform, this time as the Chevy SS. Sort of like the limited run Impala SS from the 90s, I guess.

This is what they should have done with the G8, instead of lumping it in with the worthless G6 and G3.

PT6A posted:

It's a Chevy -- if you get both of those things, you might as well just buy a Ferrari with your lottery winnings instead.

It's a Holden, the interiors are ok (not german but not terrible) and they came with a stick the last time around in GXP form.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Accord Coupe is the only way to get a 6cyl with the 6 speed manual too.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
That scenario would make sense for a Toyota, spending $1500 on a 10 year old W body GM on the other hand.. (The grand prix I had taught me that ignition cylinders and intake manifold gaskets are wear items)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Left Ventricle posted:

I know I'm a huge GM apologist, but why is it okay to spend $1500 on repairs to an '02 Camry but not okay to fix up an '02 Century (also a W-body)?

Because I'd be fairly sure the Camry would do another 100k without anything major happening as the overall build quality is solid. The GM, not so much.