Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Raluek posted:

e: Wait, am I retarded? I think that's just the other side's window showing through. I wonder how it looks in person.

Yeah, it looks like the driver and passenger doors are different sizes, with the driver getting a larger door. It makes sense, but it does throw off the visuals a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

heat posted:

Thanks! I learn new poo poo multiple times a day in this forum. I don't really see how that pattern hides the lines, especially since it was cut into lots of pieces and not matched back up, but then again I'm not a car paparazzi.

The patterns make the car appear flat when photographed since the distorted swirls and dots patterns make the horizontal and vertical aspects of the car are difficult to differentiate.

They don't tend to wrap all of the car because they sometimes use body panels from existing models, so there is no reason to cover up those parts.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

gigButt posted:

Will the Fiat 500 sell well in the States? or will it fail for being too small and "over-priced"? If it sells remarkably well, will the other giants take notice and make a true compact car?

I think we are still waiting on the U.S. makers to respond to the Mini.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

It is a little ironic that despite that robots ad, the Charger isn't even available with a manual transmission.

I thought the exact same thing the first time I saw that commercial too.

travisray2004 posted:

drat, for a Fast and Furious movie that scene was pretty good actually. Now I kind of want to see it in theaters.

It definitely owns and is worth seeing. It was definitely mostly 'Merkin cars and big ol' trucks, but obligatory Jap-Crap (Skyline, WRX, Supra) and exotics (GT40, GT3, LF-A, Konignigseggeggegg) get cameos as well as lots of classics. They even tossed in a few surprise classics from across the pond.

V V V :hfive:

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 9, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

"Oh I put 87 in there to save on gas moneys :v:"

Just put a dummy meter that senses low octane gas and reports how "efficient" the engine is running. Something like:

code:
87: Regular Efficiency ++-------------- Premium-Efficiency
89: Regular Efficiency ++++++++-------- Premium-Efficiency
91: Regular Efficiency ++++++++++++++++ Premium-Efficiency
^^ It only needs to improve gas mileage by about 20% to hit the 40MPG mark. Plus, all of the other cool cars in its class are managing it.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 20, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Muffinpox posted:

He was saying if you want good public Transporation or bike friendly city move to one of those three. Also cars in manhattan isn't bad, just absurdly expensive.

Most place in NYC even have a place for you to work on your car.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
^^ Unfortunately, you're probably right.

Lowclock posted:

Yeah I also think this looks like poo poo. The kidney grills looks like such an afterthought and that flat stubby bumper for some reason makes me think of an inflated old Z3. Maybe BMW just needs to do the throwback thing and take a ton of styling cues from like old 5, 6, and 8 series cars because even though they might be great cars, they keep going all sorts of wrong directions on the exterior styling.

Will you quit your job, move to Germany and become BMW's Design Chief please? I understand that you'd be making a huge sacrifice, but think of all the children who will be growing up with BMWs that look like an angry retarded kid who is demanding his daily box of Chicken McNuggets.

Seriously though, you're right about the kidney grills. I swear they almost look Photoshopped on because of how absolutely misplaced they are.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

The previous gen Legacy was, in my opinion, one of the the best looking midsize sedans of its day.

I'm having trouble thinking of a mid-size car that looks better than the LGT, regardless of time period. I find it to be the perfect mix of classy, understated and sporty for a sports sedan.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I want to see how Porsche manages to get 380HP out of a production turbo flat-four. I have a hard time believing they will be able to find the right mixture of compression ratio, boost, and compressor efficiency to make an engine responsive enough to be worthy of the Porsche name while maintaining a certain degree of durability. They may be able to get away with an 8,000 RPM redline and short enough gearing that reaching full boost at 6,000 RPMs isn't an issue for driving around town.

Of course, if Porsche manages to do it there is hope that maybe we can finally get an STI with over 350HP from the factory (in the U.S.).

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

:psyduck:

No poo poo...This really makes me wonder how powerful cars are going to get before energy costs/regulations or the recession make these kinds of cars impossible to sell.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dinan will make an 800 ft./lb tune for that beast.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

If people did like those in the US, they would sell better.

Crossovers are so drat close to being wagons that isn't really room in most car lineups for both. I can't think of a reason that Toyota would make a Camry wagon when the Rav4 is a wagon-like body that has identical length and width dimensions and engine options as the Camry.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

69sofine posted:

Just stop making cars that look like boring crap with a giant spoiler. I don't understand the point of splitting the impreza line though.

My money is on them making a Mini fighter. They are going for a Yaris sized sporty car with a small displacement boosted engine.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's using a lot of words to say "The next WRX is going to be the Subayota/FT-86".

I can understand why you would think that. The Subayotaru doesn't have a name yet and is rumored to have the turbo/AWD combo. But I doubt it is the new WRX. The Subayotaru will be able to stand on its own; it doesn't need the WRX nameplate at all.

They could be trying to create a "premium" brand image. By having a stand-alone WRX naming the Subayota the SVX, they will pretty much set themselves up for a future __X nameplates.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

JaundiceDave posted:

Successor to the Shelby SSC announced.

What the? Where the hell am I going to put the child seat, diaper bag, stroller and dog in that thing?

<:mad:>

Seriously though, that looks loving awesome. It looks like Porsche won't be the only brand in the world with a seven speed manual either.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Lowclock posted:

Considering the average decent size dealership probably has at least a few million in inventory, you think they'd at least lock up all the keys somewhere safe.

When my mom worked as an accountant for a very large dealership, she said that it was completely possible to walk in the office (during the day even) and steal the keys and title (before electronic titles) for a car and have it go unnoticed until they next do inventory (which was very infrequent). This was in the 90s and she worked at a dealership network that moved probably north of 100k car/yr. I'm not sure what you would be able to do with the car after that though.

Had these guys only taken one or two cars, they probably could have gotten away with swapping out the VIN plates with an older wrecked model and drove it around with a salvage title forever without raising suspicion as long as they didn't sell it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not a car, but an engine: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/05/meet-audis-new-engine-the-1-8-tfsi/ That should be help deal with the big issue plaguing DI engines (carbon desposits).

That's a loving gasser that puts down diesel numbers all around, that is really badass.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

heat posted:

Seriously though I think this guy is right and the real answer are batteries under the car that can easily and quickly be changed out at a battery station. Of course this would require different manufacturers to agree on some sort of standard, but it's still a good idea:

That really is the only way that we will get electric vehicles that are practical for 100% of personal transportation needs in the US. I believe there is a standard for them already actually. The Tesla S is supposed ot be the first vehicle to support it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

How many batteries can they quickcharge at once before the station requires commercial power on the scale of a small factory?

That's actually a really good question that I didn't think too much about. So I decided to look into it.

A short range Telsa Model S battery is 42kW/h (the approximate average electricity usage per day in the U.S. is about 50kW/h per day). So, a gas station that supplies 4,000 customers per day is going to require ~1.7 MW/h per day. I'm not sure what is typical for a gas station, but I think that 4,000 seems pretty close to the median number.

A typical Wal*Mart uses 1.5 million kW/h per year, which is roughly 41 MW/h per day. With the abundance of strip malls in this country, power should be readily available for many these stations. The rural ones may have a bit of an issue initially, but I think that people in eastern Kentucky might be slow adopters anyway.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

1.4l turbo + 6 speed manual on the LTZ. :dance:

How's the aftermarket on the 1.4L turbo engine? The stock 140HP is a bit lacking IMHO, but something in the neighborhood of 180HP would be really nice in a car like that.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Holy poo poo that thing is ugly. It is like they removed all the good looking parts of the Civic and replaced them with all of the hideous parts of the Insight.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I really don't understand why Nissan decided that the Juke should be a CUV. The Juke looks so much better sitting at a normal ride height. Plus, its specs and styling (in the sense that it is unique) are so close to the Mini; it seems like it could have made a great Mini/GTI fighter.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

eames posted:

Ok, I have to admit that it very good in that picture, but that could be the angle.

I'm with you, I hate the picture that you posted, but the Guinness put up is really nice. It gives the front end a very low-to-the-ground look that we haven't seen recently. The last sedan that I remember pulling off a low front end was the BP Legacies.

Cream_Filling posted:

On the Hyundai speculation note:

I really hope that Hyundai is looking to make a supercharged version of the GC available; and not as a special edition. I love the looks and the handling, but the Mustang GT is still a better car for not very much more. They are doing well enough at the boost game with their smaller engines, I imagine they can build a solid 'charged V6 if they tried.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

coolskillrex remix posted:

whats stopping them from selling this supercharger? All i can think is hyundai doesnt want them selling it.

You can't discount the fact that the GC doesn't really have much of a potential market for big-money engine modifications yet. It has only been out for two model years now and they really haven't moved that many units (a quick search suggests about ~2200/mo combined with the Genesis sedan numbers). When you consider the Mustang is moving 7-9,000 a month, it is fair to say the GC lacks market the necessary market potential right now.

Plus, what would Hyundai do to stop them?

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It'll be called the 4-series if they do that naming convention.

1 series 3/5 door = 1 series
1 series 2 door = 2 series
3 series 4 door = 3 series
3 series 2 door = 4 series

Does the US get the 1 series in a four-door form? I've never seen one. It seems odd that they would go through all that trouble of marketing it just to change the name a few years later to the 2 series.

At least they can make an M2 instead of having to go through the word salad approach they currently do in order to avoid the M1 moniker.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

All the cutaways have shown the motor sitting between the wheels. If that's how it'll be in production, AWD is out.

I can deal without AWD, especially on a a car like that. But the lack of a turbo option will be a tough pill to swallow for me, especially when the price is taken into consideration. There is a lot of great cars you can buy for $28k. The Mustang and GC will beat it in the power department while the Miata weights and costs a bit less.

A starting price under $20k is probably the best place for them to target.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Why would you slap a Malibu front end on a truck?

Actually, the extended cab version looked exactly like they stuck a Sonic body on a frame and put a bed behind the hatch.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Motronic posted:

Why do we continue to get shafted on diesel availability?

Emissions requirements; apparently VW has been riding along on some sort of loophole for a little while now.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

leica posted:

The coming of the FT makes me wonder if Toyota will be using it as their new NASCAR model. Chevy, Ford and Dodge will be going to their RWD "Pony" models eventually so I guess it makes sense for Toyota to do the same, but the car does seem very small and may look odd as a Cup car.

What, really?!? Does this mean there will be no more commercials with a Camry doing a mad-tyte burnout?

I love that overlay picture of the FT and the GC. It seems like the car may be about the size of the Celica, which is pretty much perfect in my eyes.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Also no one is going to buy this turkey. It will be a sales disaster. Wrap it up Suba-ilures.

Part of me thinks you're right. There are a ton of car people all over the internet that are complaining that this car just doesn't have the horsepower to compel them to buy it. But, then I look at the Miata, somehow it succeeded despite having such low horsepower numbers and a terrible reputation as a gay car. It even managed to outlive the technically superior S2000.

Maybe the fact that it doesn't appeal to car people will be what makes it succeed. There are a lot of people, especially in the 40-50 sports car buying age, that don't care about horsepower. They care about things like good looks, reliability and gas mileage. This thing will certainly have all of those qualities. This is certainly a car I could see my mom rolling around in.

I've always seen Subaru as a cheaper, more reliable competitor to Audi. They just don't market their cars the same way the other Asian manufactures do, they tend to emphasize pragmatism in their marketing. When you look at the BRZ against the Audi TT, everything makes more sense. The TT sells pretty well, but the BRZ has it beat in every category except for badge.

I can make a solid case for both predictions, honestly. So I think this will just have to be a wait-and-see thing. I do hope it succeeds, if it doesn't, then that is solid evidence that there just is not a market for a cheap pure sports car anymore.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Guinness posted:

I'd say the most impressive interiors IMO across all sub-75k cars were the Hyundai Genesis (sedan and coupe),

Did they change the interior for 2013? My friend has a 2011 and while the ergonomics of it are pretty good, the quality and feel of it leave a lot to be desired, IMHO.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

NOTinuyasha posted:

It's intended as a cheaper Lexus, and Lexus doesn't make any really amazing driver's cars either.

Are you sure about that?

It would be one hell of an accomplishment if Hyundai managed to make a cheaper IS-F.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

NOTinuyasha posted:

Even if the IS F can match the performance of an C63 AMG or an M3, why bother spending all that money just to roll around in something that your average pedestrian might mistake for a previous-gen Mazda 3? Sure, all the gadgets will still be working in ten years time, but is it really worth it?

Because I thought we were talking about driver's cars, not pretentious fashion model cars.

I'd drive the gently caress out of an IS-F.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

D C posted:

Leases in Canada are probably the worst thing I've ever seen, Financing would be the same cost, and you keep the car and can sell it whenever you want.

I dont know what is different then in the States, but it is huge.

Leases can be thought of as a hedge against excessive depreciation. If you buy a car and get into an accident or that model becomes undesirable or whatever, you are under no obligation to buy the car outright at the end of the lease. Conversely, if the used car market experiences massive inflation and you can get $20,000 for a car with a buy-back of only $15,000, then you can come out ahead by just buying the car and selling it.

Leases can be a good idea if you know for a fact you're going to sell the car at the end of the lease. You can finance the car and spend an extra $140/mo for three years to just get $5,000 extra back from selling the car. Or you can choose to lease and not spend that extra $5,000 to begin with and go with a lower payment.

Also, in the U.S., I believe the payments made on a lease are tax deductible for businesses. If the same business owns the car instead, they would only be able to deduct the interest costs. (( This is overly simplified though and ignores a lot of important factors ))

Of course, there are a magnitude of reason why leases are terrible ideas, but they aren't completely idiotic all the time; just most of the time.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

BoostCreep posted:

It is almost reminiscent of the GT-R.

I'll be looking closely at the BRZ/FRS when they come out, but I really like what I see with the GC.

A factory supercharged GC R-Spec for under $30,000 would seal the deal for me. I really like the Mustang a lot, but I feel like the GC handles and looks better, especially with the new facelift. The big thing is that the Mustang offers 412 HP for only about $4-5000 more than a V6 R-spec.

I also really hope they updated that stupid rear end shift knob.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

hedge posted:

US 500 Abarth!!! :woop: 160 hp, 170 lb-ft, 5-speed manual

I'm completely disappointed. I remember hearing a while back that the U.S. was going to get a substantial power increase. I also don't see why such a small engine doesn't have a six-speed gearbox.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Yeah, good job on the classy and understated styling there Lincoln. :thumbsup:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

tobu posted:

Should I be worried that if Hyundai and Kia's keep getting better and more desirable the price will naturally rise leaving a gap for cheap Chinese cars?

I'm curious about this too. It seems to be the natural way things progress. But I feel that the only reason it is natural is because it is an effect of the way that business schools teach people to run businesses. A lot of the business theory that I've heard is that you should always be looking to go up-market because the profit margins are better up there. Once you get there, it makes sense to cut your lower market businesses because they are under-performing compared to the high-margin segments (trim the fat).

That being said, the automotive industry is very saturated these days, much more than they were when the Japanese companies began competing in the U.S. Enough of these companies have small enough market shares in the U.S. (Honda, Subaru, Nissan, etc.)that I believe there will continue to be stiff enough competition in the entry level market for some years to come.

It is possible that the Chinese may make their entry into the U.S. market via niche-market cars rather than with entry-level cars. Porsche made high-margin sports cars for decades before branching out and selling sedans and rebadged VW SUVs. Subaru did something similar to some extent, they gained in market share by specializing in making the best all-weather vehicles you could buy and concentrating their sales in the Rockies and New England markets.

If any Chinese companies penetrate the U.S. automobile market significantly, it will be because they paid their way by buying an established company (Volvo), or because they did something innovative, such as combining technology in a way that hasn't been done yet.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 11, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Mr.Peabody posted:

Clearly an old man car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va8RFux4kGY

Well, I guess you could also say that it is a young woman who marries a rich old man's car.

I want to drive one, but I won't be able to afford to drive one until I'm at the age that the g-forces exerted would upset my pace maker :(.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If they release an SRT model with >300HP and a decent AWD system, I'd be game.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
If you removed the Honda badge and told me it was the new Solara, then you would have fooled me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The EcoBoost Mustang has been confirmed!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-c...r+and+Driver%29

It looks like they are predicting the four cylinder variant to make it into the 'Stang. But I am really hoping to see a boosted six added to the lineup as well. With the GT gaining so much power, there may be a place for it.