Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

tripsevens posted:

I feel Subaru evolved the Legacy into tragicomedy,

Goddamn those headlights look RIDICULOUSLY large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

I feel like I am the only one in AI who is excited about Cehvy's Camaro z28 and the possibility that they will make one with the top chopped off.

550+ Horsepower? Yeah I could get along with that alright.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Oh boy straight lines how exciting

I can understand the other complaints, but I think this is a bit unfair. Sure, it's wasn't designed to be a Miata or a 911, but the thing can turn. It does have IRS, and with a few simple suspension upgrades, they handle pretty well, especially considering their size. I think people look at them wrong due to the last generation... they're definitely more of a grand tourer, up there with the 370Z and company.

Check out the Nurburgring Lap Times on Wikipedia if you don't believe me. the 2010 SS came in right behind the Cayman S and Boxster S, and above quite a few notable names, at 8:20.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too hopelessly in love with the looks and history of the car, but I feel like it hasn't had a fair chance.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Anyone in Northern Virginia looking for an internship?
Bugatti wants you.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

New Camaro Z/28 Confirmed!

quote:

This just in from BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet, who has just attended a National Chevrolet Dealer's meeting where among other things, the upcoming Camaro Z28 was confirmed and discussed!

Here are the confirmed details from the meeting:

• 2012 Camaro Z28 production begins January 1, 2012
  • Internally referred to as the "HP Model"
  • 6.2L supercharged engine
  • Magnetic Ride suspension
  • 285F / 330R tires
  • Hood design to have louvre/slat design seen in spy photos (dealers in attendance were shown a gray Z28 model)
  • Slight (not major) updates to the interior, with some brighter trimwork

As for the 2012 Camaro generally, the 45th anniversary edition (which we discussed here) will be for both coupe and convertible models. It will come in carbon flash color with all black interior and unique wheels.

Man, I'm SUPER excited for this. I really thought we'd be seeing these on the road this year, but this gives me a bit more time to adjust to what I'm sure will be a crazy price tag. Those are some fat rear end rear tires, too! Holy crap. I wonder how well the adjustable suspension will work.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

A whole bunch of poo poo just came out at the Chicago Auto show.

:geno: - Camaro ZL1, with the LSA engine and magnetic dampers.

Sorry, what? This isn't something that's making you jump out of your pants? Redesigned suspension, 550 HORSEPOWER, some shiny new appearance bits, creature comforts like a backup camera, upgraded soundsystem, and embroidered headrests. What's it missing? Especially when compared to the zombiepig charger, I'd take the Chevy all day.

e: A gazillion pictures - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128387

e2: It's supercharged, intercooled, has 6 pot Brembo brakes, ducting from the front fascia to cool the brakes, dual mode exhaust, front splitter... the list goes on and on and on.

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 9, 2011

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

PT6A posted:

Whoa, whoa... Sync is awesome, not a "useless gadget."

(Full disclosure: I work for Big Bill, but) Seconding this. Sync is amazing compared to a lot of the generic bluetooth integration in a lot of cars. I haven't used it with an Android phone, but if you've got an iPhone/Windows Phone, it really is a great experience.

On top of that, when did we become so entitled that every car above $20k has to have a sunroof?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

I think that's just because of the goofy grey lipstick around the wheels. If it was body colored, the gap might not look so pronounced.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Honestly I don't think it's as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Do you often shift from 2nd to 5th accidentally?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

MiniFoo posted:

Holy poo poo, I want an accelerometer display in my car.

Then buy this beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blq0s0hGhXA
(don't mind the overly dramatic narration)

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Welp, this happened:

Camaro ZL1 by the Numbers: 3.9 Seconds, 184 mph, $54,095

I mean, it's a fair price, and the car is going to be an absolute beast. I think it's still a bit high in comparison to the GT500, which starts at $48k in the States. Gotta say I'm a bit bummed, I was hoping it's come in a bit lower... guess I'm relegated to cross shopping the Camaro SS and the Boss Mustang.

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 15, 2011

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Jesus Christ, Lincoln.

2013 Lincoln MKS evolves new nose, bigger brakes

Looks like a goddamned baleen whale.

e: looks like they designed its mom, too...

2013 Lincoln MKT shows its toothier grin

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 17, 2011

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

That says twin turbo, right?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Devyl posted:

My point is Americans are still trying to push box-shaped vehicles through turns on race tracks. ZL1? Box. CTS-V? Box. Mustang GT? Not as boxy, but still big. I normally associate well-handling track-ready cars with being a bit more aerodynamic.

Somewhat related, and at the very least interesting:

quote:

The 1969 Dodge Daytona had a drag coefficient (cd) of just 0.28, better than most cars made in the 1990s. It would have produced even less drag, if it weren't for the tall spoiler (added to keep the rear wheels on the ground at high speeds), but still achieved 200 mph (set by Buddy Baker on March 24, 1970, at 200.447 mph around Talladega).

The first-generation Viper, with its aerodynamic shape, had a cd of over .5; the 1994 Plymouth Duster had a cd of .42. ; the mid-1990s Eagle Talon had a cd of .36. Even the sleek Eagle Vision had a drag of .31, considerably higher than the 0.28 of the 1969 Charger Daytona. That car set a speed record that held for 13 years, to be broken by about 1 mph in 1983.

source: https://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

I mean, the Daytona/Super bird was pretty much just a box with a nose on it. Is that what you want? :)

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

leica posted:

Those must be vents to cool the blinker fluid.

Why does the Corvette Stingray have so many vents? Here's why: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/27/why-does-the-corvette-stingray-have-so-many-vents-heres-why/

e: transmission and differential cooling, I believe.

MrSaturn fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 28, 2013

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think so, actually - I don't see any mention of calling the 420hp CTS a CTS-V. I get two possibilities out of this. One, GM could be discontinuing the CTS-V altogether, but I doubt that.

Two, the CTS-V comes back in the future after the C7 Z06/ZL1 show up with whatever engines replace the LS7/LS9, and has a new 550-600hp V8 replacing the LSA, allowing the turbo V6 to slot in beneath it.

At that point the odd duck in the lineup seems to be the naturally aspirated V6, since it's only a 50hp bump from the turbo four.

The Gen 1 and 2 CTS-V were both released a year after their platform. I'm not sure I'm convinced this 2014 model is a full on platform update, but that may be what's happening. No way they'd cut the power on the CTS-V unless it was significantly lighter than the present one.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

It's pretty tough to see out of the bell end of the current one, so I can't imagine it'll be much better. I can't see anything parked directly behind me if I'm on a slight incline in mine.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Pretty sure those are the same wheels I have on my CTS-V. :aaaaa:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

blk96gt posted:

Yeah they're not cheap. But other than a Dodge Charger, where else can I get a high horsepower RWD car with four doors and decent room in the back seat for less than $50,000? Maybe one of the German's have something that I'm just missing?

Used CTS-V falls happily below $50k. And they're quick. Powerful quick. :getin:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

blk96gt posted:

True. I've looked at and driven them as well and really liked them. My main issue was the back seat room. I tend to haul adults around pretty often, so back seat room is also a big factor. We also have a kid so having a lot of trunk space is key as well, which this had a surprising amount of trunk space.

There's plenty of room in the back seat for real live adults. I recently did a road trip from DC to Charlotte with 4 people in the car, and we were all plenty comfortable. My lone complaint with the trunk is that the back seat doesn't fold down. There's a porthole for skis or whatever, but I can't fit my bike through that! :v:

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

blk96gt posted:

Yeah I guess you're right. I rode in the back of my buddy's V a few times and I had to slouch due to my head hitting the back window. Leg room was alright as well, but overall I didn't think it had near the room in the back seat and the trunk that the SS does. Only the middle part of the seat folds down in the SS as well, so they are similar in that arena.

Do you have a V with or without a supercharger? How has the reliability been overall?

I've got the second generation V (2009-2013 I think, mine is a 2010), it's supercharged, and has been awesome. I don't drive all that much, I barely ticked off 3000 miles this past year of ownership, but it's been fantastically reliable. I've only had to do the one oil change since I got it last year, and change my wiper blades. lovely gas mileage, but that's to be expected from 556hp, I think.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I wish we would make it a rule and not allow those kinds of posts any more. Who actually wants to read that poo poo for pages and pages? "Oh look some part of car 1 looks like car 2. See I am an expert on cars" :fuckoff:

I'd happily second that.

Has there been any information released about the MSRP for the new z06?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

:rolleye: And what exactly was your experience with? A 1986 Chevy Celebrity?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

At this point Chrysler could just hire Eminem to take a big steamy dump in the middle of a Detroit street and it would still be the best commercial of the three.

Then the lady from the ford commercial could come pick it up and make some FRESH SOIL!

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Whoa, really? How did that work?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

loving hell that's fantastic. My CTS-V gets a paltry 13.7mpg in the real world. I'd kill for ~20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Sadly, that is pretty much the opposite tack to take re: timelessly beautiful automotive styling.

See also:

Acres of hood or GTFO.

If you're trying to say the 1959 cadillac is not timelessly beautiful, you can choke on a bag of hell.

(if that's not what you're saying, then good. You're correct.)