Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I liken it to making a lowrider giraffe

You're saying there's something wrong with this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

el topo posted:

Given that he could have created a Genesis premium brand and decided not to do so, I would disagree... calling the Equus a Hyundai just creates a brand image problem that could have been done away with very easily.

I disagree, North America appears to be one of the only places that loves its separated premium brands (both Acura and Lexus originated in NA, Acura doesn't really get sold outside of NA) but that doesn't mean that it's going to work well in the rest of the world. With only about a third of their worldwide sales occurring in North America there's a great risk of diluting the rest of the brand.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

A5H posted:

That lotus looks like it was designed by a Hyundai designer.

I see a lot of the S2000 in the front while the cockpit is speaking Celica to me.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

The advantage of 3D printing car parts is being able to have design targets allowed by construction techniques that are normally difficult, impossible, or extremely costly to produce for a road car. Body panels could be lighter and stronger is they were made with honeycombed metal, but the cost and difficulty vs. extra weight saved isn't worth it. Even if you can print off an ABS door with a honeycomb structure that is only comparable to a stamped steel door, you're most likely going to save money in tooling.

Or in cases like a vehicle frame where you need to jam a bunch of metals together and weld, being able to print off a solid unit would allow you to design in a bunch of reinforcements that normally would be impractical with normal manufacturing techniques.

I think the biggest advantage we'll see in the near future from 3d printing will be in engine and driveline components. Small highly engineered components built to fine tolerances. Of course this isn't going to rely on ABS but focus more on laser sintering and other metallurgy focussed processes.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

I never understood the appeal to Audi RS models like the RS5 or RS4. You're entering Cayman territory with that kind of money. Wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a dedicated sports car than a generic passenger vehicle with nicer fenders and a body kit?

If I had the money I'd have an RS4 wagon in the driveway (also need a driveway). Caymans are great and all but sometimes I like to go shopping, or I might have friends with me, or go camping. The idea of a semi practical sports car is a lot more appealing to me in my 30's than a two seat coupe.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not gonna lie, the new GM trucks all look pretty nice on the outside, especially the Sierra Denali.

Well the current minivan isn't too bad, or do you mean you're looking for a real "mini" minivan?

To a non American these things look loving huuuuge. In Australia we might see an occasional F250 or similar but the largest truck you'll see on an everyday basis is something like a Hilux.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Yeah the announcement is in line with the replacement after the VF / SS / Zeta? Platform. Going to be a big blow to Australian manufacturing though, though if you believe the idiots in government there's only a couple of thousand affected.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Is there anyone stupid enough in AI to believe a word Abbott and Co says? This is obviously going to affect many, many more - and for anyone not in Australia, yes this is THE headline in Australia right now. Holden shuttering is Very loving Big News.

Don't quote me, I'm only paraphrasing the tele (need to know what the other side think)

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

And a GTI/Golf R should only be 2 doors. 4 doors really ruins the line. On a wagon 4 doors is great, but on a hatch it looks overdone.

Got to disagree here, 2 door hatches just don't work, they're a pain for carrying stuff or for rear seat passengers. If you want a 2 door get a coupe.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Coredump posted:

The easy available torque in my dad's foxbody I used to sneak out during high school has colored my taste. The car doesn't have much hp, only rated at 210hp from the factory. But that torque tho, 260 ftlbs. It would break the tires loose at silly low speeds and being able to scoot the rear end out at low speeds under power made the car a shitload of fun. Much less scary than having to sling a car to break it loose and slide it. I think the biek analogy is a bike you can clutch up wheelie vs. one you have to bounce up.

A big part about this and why new cars seem to need high horsepower and torque to do similar is going to come down to tyre technology. I remember reading something a few years ago that mentioned one of the biggest contributions to motorcycle safety and performance over the last 40 years is the tyres. I'd imagine it's similar with cars too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

My guess would be aerodynamics.

I'd hazard a guess it might also have something to do with panel rigidity. A nicely placed crease can make all the difference between a solid feeling panel and something that flaps in a light breeze. Could also mean that they can use a thinner sheet thickness and save some weight.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

dissss posted:

NZ moon dollars:

I wanted to post the troop carrier style, but it doesn't seem to be available in this market anymore (or the wagon either by the looks of it) so it's just the awkward looking ute version

For perspective the most expensive one is about $1k more expensive than the cheapest Prado (which is like a less fancy Lexus GX with a diesel engine)

Weird, we get both styles in Aus so I can't understand why you don't get them. A quick check on the Toyota Australia website suggests it starts at $63k or so here.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

dissss posted:

Try actually driving one - they're a lot more agricultural than a modern Wrangler, and don't have the electronic nannies that help the Jeep out.

Not that I think a Wrangler is a particularly suitable vehicle to be driving around on the road either.

Are we talking about the same vehicles? I always assumed the only reason people bought Jeeps in Australia was because they couldn't afford a LandCruiser. Mine sites and construction jobs seem to buy a hell of a lot more Hiluxes and Cruisers, in fact I can't think of a single time I've seen someone with a work Jeep.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I know Porsche was lambasted for making 4 wheel drives and the Panamera but how long do you reckon before you can get a land rover station wagon? A Range Rover sedan?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I know it's never going to happen but I'd love to see lap times on the same tyres. I read somewhere that the GT2 was shod with Pilot Cup 2's, I'd love to know how quick a car that set a 7:30 10 years ago would run on current tyres.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

fknlo posted:

There's a level of engagement I get with a manual that I absolutely don't get in a car with an automatic. It's as simple as that.

There's a level of engagement I get from walking or riding a bicycle too but it doesn't mean I am going to use them all the time for commuting or travelling long distances.

Manuals are great and I enjoy using them however as I can only afford one car and it gets used for a lot of city traffic I had to go for a DSG. Flappy paddles don't have the same engagement as a manual shifter but for the other times when I'm creeping in bumper to bumper traffic or on the phone (hands free of course) the automatic side of it completely makes sense.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

dissss posted:

Well I don’t know about exotics but I haven’t been impressed with anything in the cheaper Volkswagens like the Golf and Passat. It’s like CVTs - I’m sure there are good ones out there but then you get the rubbish they put in Quasqais and Xtrails.

The DSG in the standard golf is pretty rough at low speeds however the 6 speed in the GTI is a lot better. I was driving a friends base golf 7 a few weeks ago and it just shuddered all the time at low RPM's whereas I've very rarely noticed the one in my car struggling.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Is the 0-60 time for the new Tesla roadster actually achievable? I mean forget the fact that it's probably vaporware and will not get built before 2025 but if a F1 car can do it in 1.7 seconds with super sticky race rubber is there any possibility of a road car with say 300 wide tyres being only 0.2 sec off that?

I saw a YouTube a while back that went into the physics of max acceleration by working out max decellaration and coefficients of friction etc... From what I recall it suggested that anything under 2 secs was unlikely without a significant change in tyre properties.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Laserface posted:

While not necessarily a hot hatch, I need to get tyres for my girlfriends Toyota Echo. it currently has "may run" tyres on it that are 'new' but also have a compound so hard Im not sure they ever actually wear out.

I really like RE003s on my evo, is it worth putting such a hot tyre on such a slow car though? more than anything I want it to have exceptional braking performance because its scary easy to lock up even in dry conditions on these lovely chinese tyres.

so, RE003s or something a little down market? I would assume even going with a good brands lovely tyre is better than whats on there currently.

I put RE003s on my old Mazda 3 Neo auto. While overkill it was definitely better than the middle of the road Goodyear's that were in it previously. Made braking and cornering a lot more confident

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

They should bring back the diesel V10 for the Volkswagen's

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Guinness posted:

My little $20 Bluetooth aux input receiver is a better interface than any $2000+ infotainment system, and a hell of a lot less flakey than some systems I've used. And it stays as modern as my phone is.

I used to have a Bluetooth receiver in my old car paired with android auto on the phone in a cradle in an easy to reach location in my line of sight. I'd say it does 99% of what connecting android auto through my current cars head unit (Skoda) does and a drat sight easier too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

You Am I posted:

It was known as the Ford Territory

Thr biggest thing that let the territory (and the falcon in later years) down was the base spec taxi interior that spanned across all models. It always felt cheap and nasty and by the time it was retired felt like a 10 year old design, which in most ways it was.