Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Muffinpox posted:

I might have missed them, but if you're basing the "marginally better performing" on the 0-60 you're only slightly ignoring that this is a track package. You know, corners.

Frozenphil leads an existence unburdened by corners. Or calendars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

awesome-express posted:

Sorry, can't help you with the translation but there's one interesting fact (rumor?) about the SLS.

I remember reading somewhere that the SLS was originally supposed to be the new Viper back in the good ole Daimler-Chrysler days, with most of the engineering coming from Chrysler. The huge hood and tiny trunk really resemble the Viper's design.

Yeah man how stupid is that? A company potentially sharing a low-volume platform between its brands to help defray the cost of development? What kind of bullshit business case does that come out of?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

MikeyTsi posted:

Really? LED's have an effective service life that is FAR longer than any other bulb on the market.

The LEDs themselves rarely fail; rather, the soldering that bonds them to their substrate does. It doesn't look like the automakers have found a better way of doing this either - I've seen more than a few new Audis with one or more LEDs out already.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

Impreza Hatch photos just came out. Looks OK.

Introducing the 2012 Subaru Impreza "Mom Jeans" Edition. Seriously, who gets excited about a minivan anyway these days?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dr JonboyG posted:

Next Corvette could have a 3l V8 that revs to 10k. Before everyone gets all abloobloobloo, imagine the noise that fucker would make!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/257498/

I suppose it's going to be mid-engined too? Every time the Corvette nears the end of its model cycle, these retarded rumours surface again. Why would GM spend all kinds of money (which they don't really have) developing an exotic new V8 that would conceivably be used in only one, limited-production model?

I would say it is far more likely that we'd see a turbo V6 if GM decides to stray from the small-block V8 in the Corvette.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Openknees posted:

No Fairlady Z's though?

They probably only had one or two on their lot. Plus, a plain old Titan or Altima would be easier to get rid of later on, if you're trying to sell them somehow.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Other Nissan dealers I've seen have a computer-controlled key safe, but that doesn't mean this one does.

I wonder if they stole from their overflow lot - it's always stuffed full of tons of unsold cars.

Supposedly all the cars/trucks were stolen off the main lot. Not really surprising because hey, it's NE Calgary.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Do you find the Scion xB just isn't rectangular enough for you? Behold, the Daihatsu CC-Case:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

While we're still in the realm of the theoretical, why not take the V12 TDI from the Q7 and stuff that in a Cayenne?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

onezero posted:

Uncrate just put up a post about the new NSX, this time with a picture. Looks pretty great in my opinion.

Uncrate's words:

"It's not too often we get to say this, but if they don't build this, they're crazy. The Acura NSX Concept ($TBA) revives one of the world's best-known supercar monikers in style, with a rear-mounted V6 powerplant that's helped along by an electric motor, all-wheel-drive, the ability to apply positive or negative torque to the front wheels during cornering, a dual-clutch transmission, and lust-worthy looks. Oh, and about that "crazy" bit — the production version should arrive in within the next three years, and if that wasn't enough, they're building it in Uncrate's home state of OH."

Honda came out a few years ago with an uninspired, hybrid NSX concept. While it did evolve into a racecar, it never made it to the streets on account of mild interest. Now, Honda has released a second uninspired, hybrid NSX concept. Starting to see a pattern here?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

eames posted:

A ~400hp "Cayman Turbo" in the future would be very, very interesting IMO.

That will never happen, as long as Porsche still makes the 911. Porsche knows that for a similar power output, a Cayman will be faster than a 911 every time. Expect the Boxster/Cayman to go the other way, as Porsche is supposedly developing a turbocharged flat-4 for those cars, and for the on-again, off-again entry level roadster.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

There's a new Viper coming and I can't loving wait!

Lots of cars now have those LED eyebrow lights, but the new Viper will be the first with LED eyebags.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Why shouldn't cars integrate nicely with electronic devices? Again, it doesn't compromise the experience of the auto enthusiast in any meaningful fashion, and if a tiny weight gain bothers you, just rip the entire loving stereo system out. I don't understand the sentiment around here that you have to like stripped-down, optionless cars to be an enthusiast.

Obviously iPhone integration wouldn't be my first criterion for selecting a new car, but a lovely system or no system at all could be a pretty big deal-breaker now that I'm used to having SYNC.

Because electronics change so fast that in five years, things like iPod/iPhone integration will seem as obsolete as a built-in car phone is today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Guinness posted:

This is why:

Niche brand requires expensive niche parts, expensive specialty knowledge/tools, and frequent expensive service with expensive labor at expensive niche shops. Did I mention it is expensive?

Add in the fact that cars in this segment are turned over fairly regularly by their owners (and not replaced with used ones, either), and you'll understand why nearly all high-end luxury cars depreciate like mad.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think they are finally doing it starting with the F30 Coupe which will be a 4 and M4.

So just like that, BMW throws out almost 40 years of branding? I have a really hard time believing that they'll do it.

The 3-Series has always had a coupe option; hell, as the E21, it was ONLY a coupe. As for the M3, I can't imagine they'll call the coupe an M4, even if the regular F30 coupe is branded as a 4-Series - just too much history there to ignore.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

No official announcement yet but it seems to be trending..........no idea of the % accuracy of any of these but none of it would surprise me if true. They definitely want to make sure we know the coupes are more exclusive than the sedans.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/spyshots/

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw-4-series/ke3834.html

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/scoop/bmw-4-series-latest-spy-pics

There is an X4 coming as well.

I agree there are a lot of articles talking about the coupe being the 4-Series, but at the end of the day, it's just moron car journos trying to come up with column-inches. They can flap their jaws till they fall off; until it actually happens, it's pure speculation and nothing more.

Just look at how "the next Corvette is going to be mid-engined WE PROMISE" keeps turning out as an example of the wild fiction these guys come up with constantly.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BonzoESC posted:

A pain-in-the-rear end engine to work on is a proud Porsche tradition, and is a compromise they make for getting the iconic shape, rear engine, rear wheel drive, and a car that doesn't instantly burst into flames when rear-ended by a duallie Ram.

It never used to be; only after the 964 did maintenance become more of a hassle. My dad owned a '73 911, and I never remember any major difficulty working on that engine. Even dropping the engine/transaxle was a simple task.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No, Honda. No! Bad company! Put it down.

I'm a firm believer that disabled people have a place in the workforce like anybody else, but did Honda have to put their blind employees in the styling department?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

He's talking about cars in normal use, not garage queens. You are looking at things in a very strange way. The average daily-driven 911 or Mercedes will outlast an average Civic even under similar use cases most of the time because the quality of the materials means that they will not wear as hard or require as much maintenance. How are you missing this very simple point? Especially early 80s Civics, which often had extremely suspect rustproofing and could rust even if garaged due to water drains, etc. The unspoken condition here is under normal conditions, not ideal conditions.

Porsche never really got rustproofing right until the 964 generation of 911s; daily-driving a 911, especially in a climate that sees even a hint of snow, would end with your car in Sockington's garage within five years.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

VVEL seems to be fairly variable with the degree of lift change.

This system seems to be 2 mode, with the novelty being a roller bearing to reduce friction when in high lift mode. Compared to VTEC and VVTL that use a mechanical pin acutated by oil.

For stuff like this, it's moderately fun to see the wheel get reinvented. But where are my drat camless valves already?

When automakers stop fighting and agree on a new standard for higher voltage electrical systems.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

grover posted:

Why are poppet valves always round and not elliptical or asymmetric or an array of smaller valves that would give proportionately more flow area?

I would imagine because for the longest time, circular was the only easy (read: cheap) shape to make. Even today it's still probably the cheapest by a long shot.

What still surprises me to this day is that when Honda made the NR engine (that's the one with oval pistons), they stuck with a conventional circular poppet valves.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yummers posted:

When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

...And then I woke up with my cock in my hand, having just had the most intense dream I've ever had about the only person I could ever truly love; myself.

Seriously dude, get over yourself. If you think people are somehow drawn to you because of your generic two-box luxury car, you're deluding yourself. I drive a BMW, and while it is two generations old now, it's still almost immaculate, but even I don't think for a second that anyone other than myself cares about it whatsoever.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sorry, *I* only want to talk about the performance, maintenance and detailing of my stomped-on Corolla, nothing so pretentious and boorish as a receptacle for that swill you drink you philestine

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

One picture sums up the IS-F to me pretty much perfectly:

The triumph of image over substance.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

Not getting the IS-F hate - at least Toyota is trying something, even though I'd never buy one

The IS-F isn't a bad car, it just isn't all that good. Like many Lexus products these days, it's a cynical copy of a product that its competitors offer. I would say it's so cynical that it's basically a parody of an M3 or (especially) a C63 AMG.

They basically said, "we have a compact luxury sedan, bet you'd like to see a fast one, right? Here, we put a BIG V8 in it...you guys like BIG V8s right? We put comically swollen fenders on it, because you like that too, right? we *downshift* gave *downshift* IT *downshift* EIGHT GEARS BECAUSE YOU LIKE MORE GEARS RIGHT? *upshift* *upshift* *upshift* *upshift*"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Nait Sirhc posted:

Triples in bikes are a much different story than triples in cars. Four cylinders in bikes sound a lot better than they do in cars, because of reasons. The Geo Metro had a 3-cyl and man let me tell you about that motor and how great it sounded

I dunno, I think BMW's new three cylinder sounds pretty good; it sounds a bit like an old air-cooled 911 to me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah, the 3er is a way better car than the Regal could ever be - especially considering I'd personally take a Sport Line or M-Sport 328 with the MT and very few options, the price point isn't all that different between them.

Beyond that, how's the Regal going to do in North America with the ATS just now going on sale? It seems like both cars are aimed at almost exactly the same customer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Devyl posted:

Since everyone loves cutaways:

The funny thing about this is according to GM, they went out and polled a bunch of people and asked if they'd prefer a twin turbo V6 or a N/A V8 for the next Corvette and (according to GM) everyone said they wanted a V8. Another feature of the motor is an 11.5:1 comp ratio and an estimated 26 mpg! Not too shabby for a Corvette.

It's a neat engine, but with all that tech inside, I'm surprised GM is being so conservative with its performance numbers. You'd think with the higher CR, direct injection and VVT that they could do a bit better than 450HP/450 TQ; or, at very least realise even a moderate improvement in fuel economy over the LS3.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Devyl posted:

You didn't hear this from me; but GM has the new LT1 in development with some serious turbocharging going on. :ssh:

With an 11.5:1 compression ratio? I doubt it. I can't think of a modern turbo engine with a CR higher than about 10:1. If they have a turbo small-block in development, it'll have to be substantially different to the LT1. Maybe another new engine called the LT5?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

no, the majority are probably mid-high level management at any of the big oil companies. there are a lot of areas near downtown calgary where they are ripping out 60 year old 600 square foot houses, and building 3 million dollar 6000+ square foot mansions on the lot. King ranch, harley davidson, and platinum f-150s are a fairly common sight, and these are $70,000 vehicles.

Don't forget about the rig pig demographic, who go and spend the remainder of their first pay cheque (that wasn't spent on hookers and booze in McMurray and high-stakes poker in camp) on the biggest, most expensive truck that money can buy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

That sure is A Car. I don't know if they could've made it any more generic-looking.

But it doesn't look actively bad, which represents an improvement.

The appearance wasn't even the worst part; how the cars drove (and still drive) is the biggest problem with post-2005 Civics. Honda cheaped out on the suspension and powertrain of the car and didn't really update anything; now, instead of being the choice in class for a keen driver, they're arguably at or near the bottom of the class.

I mean, even my mother said the new Civic drives like it's a downgrade from her 2002 model.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Interesting approach to 'why low compression' - you're basically making the tradeoff of drastically advanced injection timing compared to a high-compression diesel.

If it really works out that well in practice, I bet it helps them lower the weight of the engine compared to most diesels since it isn't having to stand up to 16:1+ compression ratios with forced induction on top of it.

Mazda claims that the weight savings in the block alone is almost 55 pounds over their current 2.2L diesel; the lower stresses in the Skyactiv-D allow them to use an aluminum block instead of cast iron. They did have a short paragraph going into some of the weight savings in the link posted above:

quote:

Due to its low compression ratio, the maximum in-cylinder combustion pressure for SKYACTIV-D is lower than the current diesel, realizing significant weight reduction through structural optimization.

For example, it became possible to change the cylinder block’s material to aluminum, which saved 25kg (vs.current diesel). The cylinder head became 3kg lighter with thinner walls and an integrated exhaust manifold. As for the reciprocating parts, the weight of the pistons were reduced by 25%.

The crankshaft had its main journal diameter reduced from 60mm to 52mm, achieving a 25% weight reduction. As a result, the mechanical friction was greatly reduced to the same level as an average gasoline engine.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

angryhampster posted:

Ahh..guess I can't speak for the older models. My '04 6i (with the 4-cylinder) gets around 31 on the highway and 25 in town. Perfectly acceptable for a mid-sized sedan.

I drove a basically brand new '11 Mazda3 2.0 for a month last year while my BMW was in the body shop. I was shocked at how bad the fuel economy was - I got something just short of 10L/100 km in it (which is about 24 mpg) in mostly highway driving.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Guinness posted:

I think it looks really pretty great, though still a little mixed on those side vents.

The bummer is that it is almost undoubtedly going to be much more expensive than the 3-series coupe has traditionally been, taking a page out of Audi's book with the A4/A5. The 3 coupe has always carried a small premium over the 3 sedan, but typically with a few more standard features, but I bet the gap will be a lot wider now with the 3/4 seres split. Hopefully BMW really differentiate it from the 3-series to make up for the price increase, like a lot more standard "premium" features and maybe more aggressive engine tunes (since it's all turbos now)?

Since BMW absolutely loves to build cars for niches, what are you willing to bet that they'll still make a 3-Series coupe? I honestly wouldn't put it past them one bit.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ynotony posted:

Sure, but what niche would that be filling? Price point is not a niche.

Never doubt BMW's ability to find niches where there is none. After all, there's the 6 Gran Coupe, which is a 4-door 6-Series which we promise is totally NOT a 5-Series and is totally worth the extra money, and the upcoming 4 Gran Coupe, which is...well, you get the picture.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Wheeee posted:

As to the RAM, they're more popular in Canada than they are in America but I still can't think of much reason to buy one over a Ford or GM product unless you just have to have the mini-semi style.

Or what is (still) the best diesel on the market. Too bad the transmission doesn't match up (though I've heard that this year Ram is using rebadged Allison transmissions now - is this correct?)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

OK, so the box it comes in looks tacky...what does it really look like?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

It's kind of odd now(since it's gone) but up to the last gen the B7 was cheaper than the V12 760Li.

And to boot, the B7 was a better car in just about every meaningful way.

Back in the Infiniti thing, I still can't quite wrap my head around it. Sure it gives their customer base an easy way to show that "mine's bigger" (which is important for the kind of people who buy Infinitis - the crass and the shallow), but it throws away all of the equity they built up over the years in their model range.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

sanchez posted:

This is stupid, the G35/37 is a good car in its own right.

It's OK, but its nowhere near the best in its class; just because its got the most horsepower and wins the bench race doesn't make it a good car. The interior sucks, it rides poorly and the engine sounds like a food processor. You're pretty much better off in a BMW, a Merc, an Audi and in some cases even a Lexus (if you're looking at the laughable G25).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Before I finally decided to buy a BMW 3-Series, I tried out all of its competitors; the C-Class, the A4, the IS300 (and the newer IS250/350) and the G35 (and G37). Before I really knew what any of these cars were like to drive, I actually favoured the G over everything else; actually trying them out made me completely rethink my initial prejudice.

kimcicle posted:

It't not best in class, but you can get a fully loaded sedan for cheaper than a barebones BMW / Audi / MB. It's really a case of you get what you pay for.

Perhaps in the US you can, but here in the Emirate of Alberta, the cost of comparably optioned G37 and a 335i is within a few thousand dollars of one another.

Throatwarbler posted:

considering 60%+ of BMWs are leased the BMW/MBZ people are probably not paying that much more for their cars. Either the Germans just get better resale or they are subventing their residuals.

Once the cars come back from lease (which is typically three or four years), BMW puts them into the CPO program, where they can essentially control the resale value of their cars.

Not that anyone else in that segment does anything different (Infiniti included).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That being said, I don't like it, but I imagine that it looks better in person, right??

Not a very high bar at all...I sincerely hope it's the case though. That car looks truly tragic.