Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

IOwnCalculus posted:

The guy in charge of things at Hyundai is a loving genius (emphasis mine):

Link

That's just loving brilliant, and it's the kind of thing that Hyundai needs to do if they want to shake up the luxury market today with the Equus the way Lexus did 20 years ago with the LS400.

I'm starting to root for Hyundai to be successful with this, it's huge shakeups that make the market better for everyone.

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. But holy cow is it expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

IOwnCalculus posted:

Irony is it's a car that only makes fiscal sense if you are racking up a shitload of miles.

Only if you are doing it less than 40 miles at a time.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Throatwarbler posted:

Toyota has been using them since 2007, you can even get them on a Prius now. Escalade has had them since 2009. Maybe the Audi ones are broken because they are Audis.

My 1994 Toyota MR2 with 197,000 miles has a LED lightbar and I don't think a single LED is out yet. Infinitis don't have any problems either. It just comes down to the quality of the engineering and materials.

But really, mounting a series 5mm 100mA bulbs and a 1-3W headlight LED are two different beasts.

ozziegt fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 4, 2010

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Holy poo poo have you guys seen the new Nissan Juke? I think it gives the Aztek a run for it's money.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Elephanthead posted:

http://www.panozauto.com/

At first I thought it was a miata body kit but what the hell how do they stay in business.

They are a race team. I think the production cars are just a formality.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Morphix posted:

So 13-23k Price raise above it's BMW competitor...what's the justification here? That Lexus is somehow move Luxury than BMW? Toyota get's confused when trying to make anything beyond a people-mover, the LF-A is a perfect example of this. 3-4 Times the price tag of it's European competitors and yet somehow worse in every department except having fancy tech poo poo. And let's be honest, it's really the car's interface/dash that get's people excited not the fact that their wiper blades are carbon fiber.

MSRP for the M5 is 85k...so if the GS-F is 90k that is only a 5k difference. When you consider that Lexus usually offers a lot more standard features than the option-happy germans, I would wait until it's possible to compare the cars side by side similarly equipped.

BTW, the LF-A beat out a Ferrari in the last car and driver comparison. They aren't gospel of course, but to say it's somehow "worse in every department" is 100% bullshit.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Holy christ man, it's "its" in that situation.

The GS-F is going to be priced competitively - whether it performs competitively is another question. The IS-F isn't bad but wasn't quite up to the challenge as far as I can tell.

http://garyes.stormloader.com/its.html

Yea the the IS-F was probably a little too much on the soft side for the target market. I test drove one and honestly you wouldn't know it was an F until you got on the happy pedal and let it wind past 4k. Not to mention there was no manual option.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Morphix posted:

My apologies about the price, I was just looking at this
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/BMW_M5/ and the average price, since BMWUSa doesn't seem to have the M5 up on their website currently.

And what Ferrari did the LF-A beat exactly? I remember during the Top Gear review they said the 599 is faster off the line. I watched a Car and Driver 1/4 mile thing between the GTR and the LFA and it barely eaked out ahead. The fact that the engine revs to 9k and it's noise along with the dash seems to be the big selling points for this car. Again, neither of which is particularly impressive. Especially considering the engine was made by Yamaha who know how to make high-revving engines.

Ferrari 599 HGTE.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Morphix posted:

I'm not in the market for these cars so obviously this is all conjecture and who knows what's important to someone when buying $400,000 worth of car, but people with money aren't dumb, they comparison shop. The Lexus is still a boring looking car.

Yeah the LFA sold out rather quickly. It's not this failure that you think it is.

ozziegt fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 3, 2010

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Just so I'm clear, we're on an internet forum bench racing Ferraris and the LFA in order to make some sort of nebulous point about the GS-F. Am I correct?

Not really. Whether it is actually better than the Ferrari is irrelevant. Rather, my point is that it is a good competitor. Seems like Morphix wants to believe Toyota can't make a proper sports car and is bench racing with C&D. I was just pointing out that the LF-A is a pretty good car, and there is plenty of reason to believe the GS-F will do well too. I think the IS-F was a pretty good first attempt but it fell short...hoping that the GS-F takes what they learned from the IS-F. Although that nose is drat ugly (looks like a rendering, anyway).

ozziegt fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 3, 2010

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

squirrelBitten posted:

Also introduced at Detroit: the new A6, which looks like every other Audi today. Except for the rear. Dear god that rear. What the hell were Audi designers thinking?

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Franco Caution posted:

It will be interesting to see this work out as its going to pretty much have a lot that the CTS-V does currently and that starts in mid 60s.
I think people thinking this will be 40K are in for a surprise when there is no way on that.
GM would mess up Vette sells if they found a way to offer a 550HP Camaro with Magnetic Ride at a lower price than a base Vette goes for. Dont see that happening.

Yeah I agree. I thought for a second I was reading specs for a ZR1 or a Z06...kind of odd.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Throatwarbler posted:

The angle and the lighting on the photo sort of emphasize the grill a bit too much, and the new swoopier styling makes the rest of the car look small by comparison. It's not as bad here.

I'm not married to the styling, it serves its purpose.

WTF it's like a GTR and a Charger had a baby.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Throatwarbler posted:

There's a suspension walkaround here. It's surprising how simple the idea is - just a braided oil line going from the compression side of the left shock to the rebound side of the right, and vice versa (there's a controller in the middle but still) so I guess it should be no surprise that the QX56 also uses it. I think BMW also does something similar with the "active roll bar" on their 7 series?

Audi does this too in some cars but I think it goes from front right to rear left, and front left to rear right.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
Carbon Fiber frame? Umm, yeah, call me when that happens.

also:

the article posted:

BMW says that this is the first MINI concept ever to be shown without a specific plan to put it into production

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Yeah, not repairable. If they really do this, that car will be written off more than the Elise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure
I live in VA, we get some good snow but the roads are kept pretty clean. My co-workers are convinced I am crazy for wanting a RWD car instead of AWD. They basically think RWD is a death-trap in the snow. That's the mentality of most luxury car buyers. All you see around here is AWD.

Changing a brand image like Cadillac is a slow process and they are doing a helluva job. I drool when I see a CTS-V.