Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PBCrunch posted:

Didn't Toyota delay the last re-design of the Corolla because they knew they had a product that couldn't stand up to the then-new (2006?) Civic? The resulting car wasn't really very compelling in that case.

My roommate's driving a current-generation Corolla as a rental while his GTI is in the shop. Not compelling is an understatement. After taking a 400 mile trip in it yesterday I don't really have any complaints about the build quality, but the car is literally boring. It's not even fun to abuse. My company has base model Kia Spectras and at least those can be entertaining to beat the gently caress out of, but the Corolla somehow isn't even good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hog Obituary posted:

Because it's being tested and they haven't officially released images of the car yet. They don't want you to know exactly what the car is going to look like ahead of the marketing/press release, but they still need to test it in the wild.

I think this part is what's mainly being pointed out as not mattering anymore. With all the websites that pretty much exist for the sole purpose of posting spy shots of new vehicles (or other products for that matter) it just seems stupid that companies keep spending so much on hiding their test mules when everyone's going to know pretty much everything anyways. It doesn't seem like they gain anything, more that it's just the marketing department trying to act like they still have a purpose in having a big "reveal" event. If it's that done, just loving show it already!