Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

mixitwithblop posted:

The dumb news:

Blegh, the networking thing is really the only part I'm interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mikan posted:

Blegh, the networking thing is really the only part I'm interested in.

Yeah that seems to be the only real use over just using your laptop or...pen and paper.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

RagnarokAngel posted:

pen and paper

we're not barbarians jesus christ

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
ha ha youall fell for the killer app launch good one mikan

what's next guys are you going to play a few rounds of 4e on the Virtual Table Top?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Shut up happy elf once wizards comes back from the store you'll see!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

happyelf posted:

what's next guys are you going to play a few rounds of 4e on the Virtual Table Top?

And we'll have all our characters modelled in the Character Visualiser! It will be awesome! AWESOME! *cries self to sleep*

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
maptool is better than some goofy in-house app anyway

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

happyelf posted:

I Believe in Pathfinder

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Well I was going to start a pathfinder game but now I'm all pissed off. After getting the group all squared away, the guy playing the cleric (an old 3.5 player) changed his mind 1 day before the game starts because "they're no fun now." I figured he was talking about the spell nerfs or heavy armor or something, but no... he was upset that the War Domain no longer grants a martial weapon proficiency.

Nevermind that I basically let him write up his own god if he wanted to... so he could have whatever favored weapon he wanted.

So now I'm running one of the ultimate meatgrinder campaigns, red hand of doom, for a group with only a paladin and bard for healing. 4th edition becomes more and more tempting just because it's so much less work for the DM. Maybe some people have a group that is worth the effort needed to run 3.5/PF, but I don't.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Is he playing a human? Because humans get an automatic weapons proficiency. That's a very odd reason for him to drop clerics, can you just let him pick whatever exotic weapon he seems to have his heart set on?

WhiteSpyder
May 24, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

humans get an automatic weapons proficiency

Are we playing the same game?
Humans get an extra feat, with which you could take a weapon proficiency feat, but nowhere does it say that you specifically gain a weapon proficiency.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Whoops. That's apparently something that was removed since the beta. Oh well.

WhiteSpyder
May 24, 2007
Ah. Never played the beta, but my group plays PF on a regular basis so I was a little confused. Heh. :)

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

Well I was going to start a pathfinder game but now I'm all pissed off. After getting the group all squared away, the guy playing the cleric (an old 3.5 player) changed his mind 1 day before the game starts because "they're no fun now." I figured he was talking about the spell nerfs or heavy armor or something, but no... he was upset that the War Domain no longer grants a martial weapon proficiency.

Nevermind that I basically let him write up his own god if he wanted to... so he could have whatever favored weapon he wanted.

So now I'm running one of the ultimate meatgrinder campaigns, red hand of doom, for a group with only a paladin and bard for healing. 4th edition becomes more and more tempting just because it's so much less work for the DM. Maybe some people have a group that is worth the effort needed to run 3.5/PF, but I don't.

Concerning the cleric... That sounds like a very flimsy reason. I've had players use similar arguments a few times and what it usually boiled down to, was that they simply didn't want to play at all. Either the game, or the setting in question. So we talked about it and took a vote. If everyone agreed with the guy or gal, we went with something else. If there was disagreement we talked about the problem and how to solve it. It's important to be flexible, like you were with the choice of the PCs deity.

I have to say, though, that last sentence implies that things aren't that solid between the players and you to begin with. I'm not accusing anyone of you, but can't help thinking there might be a problem that goes beyond whatever particular gaming systems you guys are trying out. If they don't understand or appreciate the work that goes into running *any* game, then maybe it's time to circulate GMs? As long as you guys are on friendly terms, have everyone run a short game in a supportive enviroment. It does wonders.

Anyway, is running a 'meatgrinder' really your only option? Because I can say from experience that even 4E hasn't fixed the problem regarding the lack of certain roles in the party, while going through premade adventures. A second wind only goes so far.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

mixitwithblop posted:

I keep thinking that fighter is toppling over backwards, taking out the wizard on the way down.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Chernori posted:

I keep thinking that fighter is toppling over backwards, taking out the wizard on the way down.

Yeah, that seems right. Hell, none of the monsters are even attacking, they are trying to pull the fighter and wizard back from the ledge before they fall!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Obviously the dudes just pulled a quick one and stole away with the lizard shamans holy thingamabob trinket. Adventurers got Feather Fall. They'll be fine.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Quill posted:

Obviously the dudes just pulled a quick one and stole away with the lizard shamans holy thingamabob trinket. Adventurers got Feather Fall. They'll be fine.

Maybe not. That's not a wizard, but an oracle. New divine class.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

mixitwithblop posted:

Didn't see this coming did he?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

mixitwithblop posted:

And it's not a fighter, either, but the Pathfinder version of the Cavalier. Oracles are spontaneous divine casters, similar to sorcerers.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

mixitwithblop posted:

Yes, I know.

Doesn't every single adventurer have a keychain full of magical rings though? And a golfbag of staves? Sleeves full of wands? Scrolls up the rear end!

Adventurer supremacy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The Kingmaker Adventure Paths just started shipping and everyone with a subscription should be able to download their free pdf copy as of right now. The player's guide pdf is also free and can be downloaded by anybody from here: http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/kingmaker

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
yeah this is actually looking kinda interesting, looks like they have a system set up for running kingdoms

hopefully the system doesn't have too many 3e germs on it!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

happyelf posted:

yeah this is actually looking kinda interesting, looks like they have a system set up for running kingdoms

hopefully the system doesn't have too many 3e germs on it!

actually, seriously, what would a mechanic have to be built like in order to be unpalatable to a 4E game? Make being a King a prestige class? (sorry, Skill Focus, rule a kingdom). I mean at some point it all breaks down to roll a bunch of d20s unless the world board is somehow as tactically rich as the combat grid- which I hope Piazo did, really.

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
Well, the role of magic, for one thing. And while both games also have goofy adventurer economies, but 3.5's is a fair bit goofier. Skill checks are another issue, as are any class specific variations in the system.

Generally however, while i'm really interested in this, i'm leery of trusting the designers who brought us the pathfinder Fighter class. Not to mention the pathfinder wizards class. 4e is a very innovative, well built system, pathfinder is not. I honestly don't know if they can pull off an interesting design here- I certainly hope they can.

And on the other hand, there are all sorts of great hooks in 4e that such a system could build on. Skill challenges, rituals, stuff like that.

Plus, there are elements of 3e I had fun with that they'll probably neglect. I mean a high leval druid or other spellcaster could pretty much terraform the whole kingdom using mud, rock, and dig spells, but I doubt they'll be supporting that- of course if they do, it just makes spellcasters that much more ludicrously powerful.

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

happyelf posted:

Well, the role of magic, for one thing. And while both games also have goofy adventurer economies, but 3.5's is a fair bit goofier. Skill checks are another issue, as are any class specific variations in the system.

Generally however, while i'm really interested in this, i'm leery of trusting the designers who brought us the pathfinder Fighter class. Not to mention the pathfinder wizards class. 4e is a very innovative, well built system, pathfinder is not. I honestly don't know if they can pull off an interesting design here- I certainly hope they can.

And on the other hand, there are all sorts of great hooks in 4e that such a system could build on. Skill challenges, rituals, stuff like that.

Plus, there are elements of 3e I had fun with that they'll probably neglect. I mean a high leval druid or other spellcaster could pretty much terraform the whole kingdom using mud, rock, and dig spells, but I doubt they'll be supporting that- of course if they do, it just makes spellcasters that much more ludicrously powerful.
ah but a fighter could use a diplomacy check to make a rousing speech, giving all his subjects +2 to will saves vs fear effects! this is both realistic AND balanced, which is more than can be said for 4.fail

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

happyelf posted:

It's generalizing a bit to say that it's the same designer, as the Pathfinder RPG (which you take issue with) was led by Jason Bulmahn and a few others, while Kingmaker is the baby of James Jacobs. James is a pretty awesome dude and has been behind a lot of the adventure paths as far back as Shackled City and is also the guy that basically led the creation of all the Pathfinder fluff material. I've been reading his blogs on what he was hoping to do with Kingmaker, but I guess we all have to wait and see how it turns out.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
So Hero Lab got updated to v3.6 and the Pathfinder dataset has been updated as well...

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=pathfinder_roleplaying_game

It now includes 5 of the new base classes, and stuff from the Council of Thieves Adventure Path.

Full list of changes here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9938

The last new base class, the Summoner, and The Bestiary pack is supposed to be released later this month.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

To folks who like Pathfinder, I just wanted to mention that RPG Superstar 2010 is winding down, with a close personal friend of mine in the finals!

If you have the time, please consider and perhaps vote for his adventure proposal, if you like it!

Here is where to register and here is where to vote!

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I voted for Matt every round, but unfortunately I can't really say that his adventure proposal is anywhere close to something I'd want to play. The judges did a pretty good job of showing the major flaws of the premise, so I'm not really going to repeat them all over again.

A lot of his early stuff was cool, but it seemed like he was shooting for the super-weird award with the giant floating fetus and giant deep one with lots of males hanging off her.

EDIT: Richard A. Hunt is one of the most bitter motherfuckers on that forum. I think he was so sure that he was a shoe-in for the final round that he cannot fathom that 4 other people beat him out. I love reading his massive essays trying to take apart all the contestants.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

mixitwithblop posted:

So Hero Lab got updated to v3.6 and the Pathfinder dataset has been updated as well...

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab&page=pathfinder_roleplaying_game

It now includes 5 of the new base classes, and stuff from the Council of Thieves Adventure Path.

Full list of changes here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=9938

The last new base class, the Summoner, and The Bestiary pack is supposed to be released later this month.

Well, the Lone Wolf guys are on the friggin ball. Less than a week later and they've released the next Pathfinder update. In addition to the Summoner class, altering the UI to support netbook screens, & various bug fixes, it now supports Kingmaker as well.

The Bestiary data pack has been delayed to early April though.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
This is a 3.5 question. I'm posting it here because this is the closest thing to a 3.5 thread.

I'm going to make a Dragonfire Adept (from Dragon Magic) for an ongoing campaign in case my current character dies. I'd like to do it with Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds), and add the Saint template (also from BoED).

Now, I'd like to take Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace, which state you can't hurt anyone ever if they're alive (undead and constructs don't count). If they try to attack you, they have to make a Fort save or their weapon just shatters, and they also have to make a Will save or be affected by Calm Emotions (and thus, unable to attack).

Problem with this is that Saint has a special ability. Whenever an evil creature hits you with a natural attack, they take 1d6 damage from holy bleedoff.

My question is whether or not this would qualify as breaking my Vow of Nonviolence/Peace since I didn't intentionally wound them.

Another question is if there are any Exalted feats anywhere besides the BoED and the Player's Guide to Faerun, because I can't find any and the options are lacking, really. Especially with a bonus feat every other level for Vow of Poverty.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Swags posted:

This is a 3.5 question. I'm posting it here because this is the closest thing to a 3.5 thread.

I'm going to make a Dragonfire Adept (from Dragon Magic) for an ongoing campaign in case my current character dies. I'd like to do it with Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds), and add the Saint template (also from BoED).

Now, I'd like to take Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace, which state you can't hurt anyone ever if they're alive (undead and constructs don't count). If they try to attack you, they have to make a Fort save or their weapon just shatters, and they also have to make a Will save or be affected by Calm Emotions (and thus, unable to attack).

Problem with this is that Saint has a special ability. Whenever an evil creature hits you with a natural attack, they take 1d6 damage from holy bleedoff.

My question is whether or not this would qualify as breaking my Vow of Nonviolence/Peace since I didn't intentionally wound them.

Another question is if there are any Exalted feats anywhere besides the BoED and the Player's Guide to Faerun, because I can't find any and the options are lacking, really. Especially with a bonus feat every other level for Vow of Poverty.

This sounds terrible.

I'd guess it would be up to the DM.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

happyelf posted:

wtf is wrong with the fighter and wizard classes? They nerfed wizards by squeezing their spell tree, making it REALLY hard to cast if a monster so much as stands near them (concentration check = 15 + double the spell level), altering save or lose spells like finger of death, altering school restriction rules, and giving them nifty but not overpowered abilities.

They buffed fighters by making changes/additions to feats, giving them free weapon specialization groups (such as long blades) that can be swapped at a later level like sorc spells, and giving them more utility with abilities that remove the speed reduction, increase max dex bonus, and vastly reduce the armor check penalty.

As for skills, you can take ANY skill you want without penalty, you just get a +3 bonus on class skills. Not only that, they consolidated redundant skills like spot/listen, hide/move silently, tumble/jump etc. Concentration checks are no longer a skill at all, but are based entirely off caster level.

4e skills are retarded. They basically returned to the 2nd edition NWP crap of "well, I know that the master smith dwarf has been practicing his craft for decades, but since my intelligence is higher than his I am better at that same skill I picked up last week."

Pathfinder is an update of 3.5, not a brand new system. It's not suppose to change the ENTIRE game or be too innovative. It's made for those who like 3.5 but want it to be balanced, which I think they did pretty well.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2010

ninjeff
Jan 19, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

wtf is wrong with the fighter and wizard classes? They nerfed wizards by squeezing their spell tree, making it REALLY hard to cast if a monster so much as stands near them (concentration check = 15 + double the spell level), altering save or lose spells like finger of death, altering school restriction rules, and giving them nifty but not overpowered abilities.

They buffed fighters by making changes/additions to feats, giving them free weapon specialization groups (such as long blades) that can be swapped at a later level like sorc spells, and giving them more utility with abilities that remove the speed reduction, increase max dex bonus, and vastly reduce the armor check penalty.

As for skills, you can take ANY skill you want without penalty, you just get a +3 bonus on class skills. Not only that, they consolidated redundant skills like spot/listen, hide/move silently, tumble/jump etc. Concentration checks are no longer a skill at all, but are based entirely off caster level.

4e skills are retarded. They basically returned to the 2nd edition NWP crap of "well, I know that the master smith dwarf has been practicing his craft for decades, but since my intelligence is higher than his I am better at that same skill I picked up last week."

Pathfinder is an update of 3.5, not a brand new system. It's not suppose to change the ENTIRE game or be too innovative. It's made for those who like 3.5 but want it to be balanced, which I think they did pretty well.
just gonna be the first to quote this masterpiece

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Five foot steps still exists, so nobody ever makes a concentration check anyway. They nerfed save or DIE effects, but almost all of the save or lose spells like Sleep, Stinking Cloud, and the others are all unaffected and just as powerful as ever. The school restriction rules actually made wizards stronger, since they can actually cast spells from banned schools by using 2 slots. A number of the specialization abilities (Divination's Forewarned especially) are quite powerful.

quote:

They buffed fighters by making changes/additions to feats, giving them free weapon specialization groups (that can be swapped at a later level like sorc spells so you don't get hosed), and giving them more utility with abilities that remove the speed reduction and vastly reduce the armor check penalty.

They changed feats, but not always for the better - Power attack is arguably weaker, and Cleave sucks now. Weapon specialization groups don't really matter - it's rare that you are required to use a different weapon for too long unless you DM is an rear end in a top hat. The armor bonuses are nice but not that great: at 20th level they are -4 ACP and +4 max dex bonus, but it is unlikely you are going to get much worth out of the dex increase, so basically you just get less ACP. Medium armor is basically worthless, so the move increase isn't too helpful there, though the moving in heavy armor is decent. Still, these are only incremental improvements - minor bonuses that don't come close to bringing up a fighter to the level of a caster.

quote:

Casters get an additional skill to pick, since they don't have to take concentration. They combined the skills in a stupid fashion - spot/listen/hide/move silently/tumble were already some of the best skills in the game, and combining them just made them far BETTER than pretty much anything else. Meanwhile worthless skills like appraise are still around. Fighters still only have 2 skill points.

quote:

Pathfinder is not any more balanced than 3.5, and is actually less balanced in several ways.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I just love this part, because most of the stuff you're saying Pathfinder "fixed" was actually fixed better in 4e, and all the skills are actually useful in 4e. It's laughable to say that stat modifiers overriding skill ranks in 4e didn't happen in 3.5e as well, and especially laughable in the specific example you mentioned because the wizard could just take Craft if he wanted; thanks to skill points being Intelligence based he could have a giant pile and no real need for them.

As far as disrupting spells by standing adjacent... how do you stand next to the flying invisible wizard raining spells on you from the air?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Does Pathfinder still have the greatest skill ever, Use Rope?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Isn't there a thread for this discussion elsewhere?

Some Kingmaker info:

There's no actual "here's how the kingdom runs" stuff in the first volume. It's a hex-based thing (though I suspect you could do areas or regions or whatever fairly easily, as long as the terrain is largely homogeneous). The article this time was about exploration, which is a prerequisite for incorporating it into whatever kingdom you've got. Basically you spend extra time in the hex and discover stuff based on some skill rolls; there's a small XP award for doing so. It's also the introduction to the sandbox portion of the AP, as you're basically given a map of the area around the campaign start point with a hex grid superimposed. On that map are various locations which the players can visit or not as they wander around and explore the area. Some of them are hidden, others are easily locatable, etc. So once you do the intro part of the adventure, the party gets to do more or less what they want within the region.

Happy to answer whatever questions folks might have, as always.

Hypnobeard fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
A basket-weaving thread? No poo poo? I gotta fire up search