Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«52 »
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I meant "any publisher other than Harlequin Romance" but thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Missile Eye
Jan 22, 2006

This just cropped up today.

I wasn't sure how many of you have seen it but Comixology has put forth their terms of use for retailers. I'm not particularly surprised by most of it but somehow it's more restrictive than I would have imagined.

I'd c/p but the agreement is fairly lengthy and if you're interested in this sort of thing you'll click the link.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003

MAJOR update for the ComiXology app available now, which is now officially in version 3.0

A few of the new features:

quote:

* Completely redesigned application
* Near instant launching
* Separate “Purchases” area that displays all owned comics
* New series groupings in store and “My Comics”
* Discover comics at much faster speeds
* Pause and prioritize downloads
* Background downloading
* Improved “Instant Search”
* Buy or continue reading the next issue at the end of a comic
I'm so happy that comics can now be grouped by series. It was getting to be a pain in the rear end scrolling alphabetically through everything, or having to jump way down via filters.

Full story and video here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08...aunches-go-see/

petewhitley
May 7, 2009

livin` astro ... biting donuts, sipping on espresso ...

Wow, this is a fantastic update (apparently it's a completely new app from the ground-up) for Comixology. The absolute worst thing about the old version (aside from the daily crashes) was how it had to f'ing update every time you launched it. It was drat-near unusable for the first few minutes. I've already purchased quite a few comics via Comixology, but after this I'll probably download even more. Really well done.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Never deal with a dragon? Psh. Pansies.

Another interesting thing about the update is that it seems like it has synched some of my comics from the Marvel app into the main Comixology one.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

xK1 posted:

Another interesting thing about the update is that it seems like it has synched some of my comics from the Marvel app into the main Comixology one.

This is kind of what I'm waiting for. I tested out the Secret Wars issues some months back, and aside from the not-really-reduced prices, it crashed too drat much. I'd be happier with this medium if it becomes reliable and offers a subscription plan.

Also that CA article by Hermanos was great.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Thank god for digital comics and their recent advances. I live 90 miles away from anything even remotely resembling a good comics shop but I am still going to be able to read all the new DC books every week on their release day. Comixology is really doing it right (although it took them a while to get there), in my opinion. Even reading on my phone is pleasant. I read all of their available issues of Morrison's Animal Man on my phone over the course of a couple days.. which brings me to my question..

Is there any reason that there are only 9 issues of the book available? Is there any way to know or find out when they'll be releasing more digitally? It'd be nice to know so I could determine whether I want to invest in the trades or continue buying digital but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of finding their release schedule.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003

etcetera08 posted:

Is there any reason that there are only 9 issues of the book available? Is there any way to know or find out when they'll be releasing more digitally? It'd be nice to know so I could determine whether I want to invest in the trades or continue buying digital but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way of finding their release schedule.
There's no set release schedule for backissues, but a good rule of thumb with DC has been tie-ins. When the retroactive issues were released, several classic issues of those series would be released that week. I'm not sure if the same pattern is going to hold true with the new 52, but considering that Animal Man #1 comes out tomorrow, tomorrow would be a good week to release more classic Animal Man singles. I guess we'll see.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Space_Butler posted:

There's no set release schedule for backissues, but a good rule of thumb with DC has been tie-ins. When the retroactive issues were released, several classic issues of those series would be released that week. I'm not sure if the same pattern is going to hold true with the new 52, but considering that Animal Man #1 comes out tomorrow, tomorrow would be a good week to release more classic Animal Man singles. I guess we'll see.

That would be great, and even greater if they did a promo for it too. Although I'm not sure how much sense that would make since they probably want to keep the majority of the focus on the new books.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

I've recently been getting into reading comics, starting with The Walking Dead. I've found that Comixology on the iPad is a pretty great way to read this stuff, especially when I don't particularly want to have actual paper issues clogging up my shelves. One thing though: I started reading the new Justice League run last week and am waiting for them to put the new issue out today. According to the Comixology website, they should have the new issue on Wednesday at midnight in whatever region you're in (UK) but it's still not shown up. Does anyone with more experience of this app know when they actually put things up, because it sure as hell isn't midnight.

Bung Harmer
Jun 20, 2004
Appalachian Hillbilly Dumbass, Fucked in the Head, Needs Help

Gunder posted:

I've recently been getting into reading comics, starting with The Walking Dead. I've found that Comixology on the iPad is a pretty great way to read this stuff, especially when I don't particularly want to have actual paper issues clogging up my shelves. One thing though: I started reading the new Justice League run last week and am waiting for them to put the new issue out today. According to the Comixology website, they should have the new issue on Wednesday at midnight in whatever region you're in (UK) but it's still not shown up. Does anyone with more experience of this app know when they actually put things up, because it sure as hell isn't midnight.

Comics tend to come out once a month. So Justice League #2 won't be out for a few more weeks. Look for the shipping threads in BSS to see what's out this week. If Action Comics #1 is up you should download that, however.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Gunder posted:

As far as the new 52 DC books go, 2PM EST is when they release on Comixology.

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Joe Don Baker posted:

Comics tend to come out once a month. So Justice League #2 won't be out for a few more weeks. Look for the shipping threads in BSS to see what's out this week. If Action Comics #1 is up you should download that, however.

Yeah, I somehow got it into my stupid head that the new stuff was a weekly thing (that would be completely crazy, I know). I was planning to get Action Comics #1 as well as Detective Comics #1. Thanks for the info you guys!

Gunder fucked around with this message at Sep 7, 2011 around 13:57

Bung Harmer
Jun 20, 2004

Comixology has the new books. For some reason Action Comics is only. $2.99 so I would suggest buying it before it is fixed if it's a glitch.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Comixology has the new books. For some reason Action Comics is only. $2.99 so I would suggest buying it before it is fixed if it's a glitch.
Probably was a mistake. Action Comics and Men of War are both $3.99 books but are priced at $2.99, so if you want books at a discount, those are the two to grab before the price is corrected.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

It's been fixed, both are now at $3.99.

Liberal Idiot
Dec 27, 2004

It's the only thing I can FEEL anymore!

etcetera08 posted:

It's been fixed, both are now at $3.99.

I just bought Action #1 a few minutes ago, and although it said $3.99 on the purchase button, the app asked me if I wanted to purchase it for $2.99. I guess I'll find out later if I got a discount or not.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, the same thing happened on all the DC books I bought through comiXology today. (Animal Man, JLI and Stormwatch)

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

I bought it at the time of my post and it was listed at 3.99 and I was charged for 3.99.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don't fuckle with Shuckle(s)

Like that other Shuckle, but different.

Liberal Idiot posted:

I just bought Action #1 a few minutes ago, and although it said $3.99 on the purchase button, the app asked me if I wanted to purchase it for $2.99. I guess I'll find out later if I got a discount or not.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, the same thing happened on all the DC books I bought through comiXology today. (Animal Man, JLI and Stormwatch)

Just bought Action 1 and had this happen as well. Oh well, was getting it anyways but if it was indeed a buck cheaper I'm not complaining. Actually, if you go to the New 52 section Detective, Action JLI, Swamp, Batgirl, Batwing, Animal, Green Arrow, Hawk/Dove, Stormwatch, Omac, and Static are all 2.99.

Huh, just noticed Marvel dumped a bunch of poo poo today as well today. The Mighty thor #1-5, Fear Itself #1-4.

EDIT2: Just checked my purchase history on iTunes and it is indeed coming up as 2.99.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at Sep 7, 2011 around 21:18

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Liberal Idiot posted:

I had the opposite problem on the Android app - the Purchase button said $2.99 but the in-app purchase was for $3.99.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

(Moving over here from the new 52 thread..)

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Basically everyone is saying they're fine with that, and I agree! I personally love digital for scratching my 'comics that matter' bug without having issues of companycrossover 1-14 lying around the place. Also, it's great for picking up a title that is borderline between following in trade or buying physically. What I don't think it's good for are titles which you can see yourself rereading, except in the near future.

The issue here isn't the license agreement, it's the technology. I don't yet know whether Comixology will be an iTunes/Valve or a PlaysforSure/Rhapsody. If it's the former, great! I'd be happy to be proved wrong, and the minute it looks like they've got the market and support to make it long-term, I'll switch to them.
My worry is that in ten years I won't have access to my comics - that could be as major as them turning off their servers, or as minor them not developing a client for whichever tablet I'm using at the time. Hell, I'm even concerned about the situation I'm stuck in with eBooks right now, where I need to remember whether the book I want to read is Amazon, Kobo, iBooks or Google Books - and usually get bored and open Instapaper instead.

I simply do not believe this market is consolidated enough to bet my comics on it.

edit: A bit more.
My personal habits are, once a run has ended, sit back and ask myself the question "if these were destroyed by accident, would I rebuy them in trade?". If the answer's yes, I custom bind them, while if it's no, I sell them. With digital, it seems the equivalent thing is simply to buy them in trade if they're good. Which, since I already follow some comics in trades, raises the question of why buy them originally? They aren't cheaper, they don't cut down on my bookshelf space beyond that short period before the purge, and they prevent me doing neat little things like collating all of Bendis' Siege tie-ins into one book, including titles that never get reprinted, and avoiding collections which are one issue I like and four I don't.
(I'd love to continue this in derailed)

I think your habits (or similar ones) are probably relatively common within established comics fans and it makes sense that you'd want to stick with mostly physical stuff, especially with the unsettled foundation of digital distribution companies, etc. that exists right now.

However, I think that the big publishers should be focusing a lot on digital for people that don't fall into your group. While moving away from a physical focus would inevitably piss off a lot of current fans I think that they would be a bit short-sighted in their anger. Digital is probably the future whether they like it or not, and new readers are crucial to a future of big title comics even existing. I've been reading a lot of writing about the developing ebook industry, which you allude to as somewhat analogous also, and there were a lot of very pessimistic people early on.. and there still are. But I am seeing this slowly shift to optimism. People are responding to the convenience factor and (slowly) lowering price points in ebooks in large numbers. As tablets become more common I can see this stretching into the comics business too. I see DC's moves on the new 52 as being a really strong first step. In my opinion, Comixology, while somewhat unproven, has a pretty good foundation for moving forward.

Your reservations regarding ownership of the actual books vs renting the content is definitely another problem that should be addressed. I'd personally prefer to get the comics in a CBZ file or something, but I'm not sure that this will be a barrier for new readers, as it hasn't become much of a problem with Kindle books which run into similar issues.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

I have to say, too, that I'd be more worried about my comics collection disappearing if it was completely third party, but isn't the DC Comixology app the "official" DC Comics platform?

Also, paulnewmanseyes, you could always download the comic files and leave them where they are. I don't think they could prevent you in 10 years time from reading the comics locally, just re-downloading them, right?

Gunder
May 21, 2003

97.5 The Brodeo

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I have to say, too, that I'd be more worried about my comics collection disappearing if it was completely third party, but isn't the DC Comixology app the "official" DC Comics platform?
It might be the official app for DC, there's certainly a DC Comics button at the top of the Featured comics page in the in-app store. None of the other publishers have a dedicated button.

On the same note, I did happen to notice that the official Marvel app has the exact same layout and feature set as the Comixology app, just with lots of red Marvel branding. I wonder if they share the same middleware, or if Marvel just wanted to have their own dedicated version of the same app for no particular reason.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

I have a PrintScreen key and an open-source image editor in GIMP. The only way digital comics DRM could be easier for me to get around is if there was a program to automate the process - and there probably is, if I go and look.

My tablet has a screenshot key too. DRM isn't that big a deal for me since all a comic is, is a series of still images.

paulnewmanseyes
Mar 8, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

etcetera08 posted:

You're right, of course, that DC's moves are good. But I think comparing Comixology to Kindle is - for the moment - more optimism than I can handle. The difference in size - and so stability - is enormous.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Well, it is the official DC Comics platform. But take a look at how many "official" platforms Marvel's had over the years. Companies never hesitate to cut their losses and run if they see a better model around the corner.

The second point raises the awkward issue of my iPad's lifespan. I don't think I have a single piece of technology left in my house which I owned ten years ago, and I can't imagine that'll change.

Magic Love Hose posted:

That's equivalent - almost exactly - to burning all your tracks to CD and then reripping them. It's especially bizarro since, for the same price, and probably slightly less effort, you could buy the physical issue and scan it in. Or buy the physical issue and then download someone else's scan.
Obviously if I'm bothering to talk about all of this, I care about what's actually supported.

There's a big point that's underlying my doubts about the stability of this model, which is that unlike the eBooks market, I think we all accept that there is some big change which needs to happen before it reaches it's mature stage. Kindle looks now much like it'll look in 15 years, just with slightly lower sales. iTunes is already there - I don't think it'll change much at all. If over the next five years the digital market doesn't explode I think that DC and Marvel will basically consider it a failed experiement. And right now, they are the ones who decide how far to take digital comics. Do you see the difference? On the one hand, two device manufacturers are pushing hard, on the other, it's the publishers who have annointed themselves gatekeepers. That is fundamentally unsustainable - and neither of them operates like Valve, the big counterexample.
If Comixology gets more power, great, but this is an industry ripe for a disrupting competitor to come in and shake things up. And if that's the case, I don't want thousands of pounds of comics looked up in the Sony eReader of this industry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's AWESOME!

Gunder posted:

On the same note, I did happen to notice that the official Marvel app has the exact same layout and feature set as the Comixology app, just with lots of red Marvel branding. I wonder if they share the same middleware, or if Marvel just wanted to have their own dedicated version of the same app for no particular reason.
The Marvel iOS app is Comixology with Marvel branding and only Marvel content. Anything you buy on Marvel's app can be viewed on the Comixology app. DC's app is the same way, as is the Scott Pilgrim app and probably some others.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Well, it is the official DC Comics platform. But take a look at how many "official" platforms Marvel's had over the years. Companies never hesitate to cut their losses and run if they see a better model around the corner.

I don't know of any official platforms Marvel's had? I'm ignorant of this, can you elaborate?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

paulnewmanseyes posted:

That's equivalent - almost exactly - to burning all your tracks to CD and then reripping them. It's especially bizarro since, for the same price, and probably slightly less effort, you could buy the physical issue and scan it in. Or buy the physical issue and then download someone else's scan.
Obviously if I'm bothering to talk about all of this, I care about what's actually supported.

Besides explicit economic costs like price point - which is the same or lower than a print comic, albeit not always at release - there are implicit economic costs. I buy a digital comic and it's mine in seconds. If I want to buy the same comic at an out of the way store, it can be anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours, there and back. Lost time is a factor and not a small one. There are a lot of places in North America with no comic book stores at all.

I can scan in a physical comic, IF I have a scanner. Not everyone does, and if you do then that's an additional cost to reproduction. The cost of a digital backup of a digital comic rounds down to zero (PrintScreen key plus legally free copy of GIMP.)

Now, yes, I may lose it in a hard drive crash - in that case, if Comixology is still alive I can read it there. Likewise, if Comixology dies I can read my digital backup. All this does is ensure I have the comic I bought, and it doesn't take much effort to keep it. You could probably design a Firefox plugin that uses even less effort.

Bung Harmer
Jun 20, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I don't know of any official platforms Marvel's had? I'm ignorant of this, can you elaborate?

This is an older article so some stuff is different, the but it's the same basic idea: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/...tal-comics-buy/

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

paulnewmanseyes posted:

On the other hand, physical collections can be lost, burn, get water damage in floods, ripped, thrown up on, found by dogs or babies and destroyed, or a myriad of other issues.

I guess the question is which risk is bigger? There's no guarantee that people with tons of longboxes will be able to read their collection in 10 years, either.

Joe Don Baker posted:

This is an older article so some stuff is different, the but it's the same basic idea: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/...tal-comics-buy/
Ah, I see what you mean.

It talks about Comixology, which seems to be the Gold Standard for digital comics. Graphic.ly is a great idea, and I like Micah and his team a lot, but I've switched to Comixology due to the New 52 and availability. Although Marvel STILL doesn't have an Android app.

The web library subscription thing is different, though, but I get the point. I do think if Marvel does embrace Comixology and make that the "official" one, more people would use it since it's everywhere.

Myrddin Emrys fucked around with this message at Sep 8, 2011 around 19:39

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

My current method of reading comics has me buying them from heavyink, waiting a week, finally reading them once or twice, then having a pile on any old flat surface for two or three months before I bag them up.

With digital, I spend the same amount, get to read them instantly, and have absolutely no clutter unless I really want a physical copy. In which case I do the former. I buy the trade of what I want to read again if I like it that much.

At the very least, for me it's exactly the same as my previous buying habits except for less mess. That is a win, even without a price drop.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

The Missing Link posted:

My current method of reading comics has me buying them from heavyink, waiting a week, finally reading them once or twice, then having a pile on any old flat surface for two or three months before I bag them up.

With digital, I spend the same amount, get to read them instantly, and have absolutely no clutter unless I really want a physical copy. In which case I do the former. I buy the trade of what I want to read again if I like it that much.

At the very least, for me it's exactly the same as my previous buying habits except for less mess. That is a win, even without a price drop.
Also, gently caress Heavy Ink.
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/...oting-corcoran/

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

paulnewmanseyes posted:

If over the next five years the digital market doesn't explode I think that DC and Marvel will basically consider it a failed experiement. And right now, they are the ones who decide how far to take digital comics.
You raise some interesting thoughts, but keep in mind that right now there are only two comics media markets that have seen their sales increase over the long term in recent years.

1. Trade paperbacks.

2. Digital.

And relative to the growth of TPBs, digital's growth IS exploding.

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I do think if Marvel does embrace Comixology and make that the "official" one, more people would use it since it's everywhere.

I would love for this to happen because I've been so pleased with Comixology thus far.

Liberal Idiot
Dec 27, 2004

The Missing Link posted:

This was my motivation to go 100% digital. It's gotten to the point where I can't justify taking up any more space in my home for comics I'm just going to read once and file away forever. I'll still be collecting older comics, but now at least I won't have gobs and gobs of 2011 Amazing Spider-Man issues taking up space that could be saved for 1970s Avengers issues.

paulnewmanseyes
Mar 8, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Hyperactive - Well, exactly. I don't think it won't explode, what I think is that it's near-inevitable explosion will necessitate a shake-up of the market to the degree that I'm not comfortable betting that Comixology will still be on top.

Magic Love Hose - if you're going to obey the spirit but not letter of the law, just download scans and keep up a mailorder subscription from TFAW or somewhere. You get them even quicker than through comixology, and then a month later a free paper copy turns up! Wrap presents in it, use it for your hamsters bedding, w/e.

Myrrdin Emrys - Frankly, the only things that really scare me are total destruction (no baby can take out all my comics) and of those the different between physical and digital is that I can take out insurance against the former, but if the latter happens - if comixology goes bust, or stops supporting any platform I have, or lose their contract with Marvel and lock the comics - then I'm SOL.
And the Comics Alliance link covers most of it, but I think leaves out the DVDs, the fact that they've relaunched their comics unlimited service three or four times, and their "iComics" thing they hand in 2000ish.

Bung Harmer
Jun 20, 2004

I just fired up the Marvel app and holy poo poo, and Ultimate X back issues are $4 apiece? Those things are a year and a half old.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

auditory jihad

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I do think if Marvel does embrace Comixology and make that the "official" one, more people would use it since it's everywhere.

I cannot imagine that DC's "exclusive" with Comixology didn't throw a wrench in their dealings with Marvel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's AWESOME!

Joe Don Baker posted:

I just fired up the Marvel app and holy poo poo, and Ultimate X back issues are $4 apiece? Those things are a year and a half old.
Yeah, Marvel hasn't quite figured out digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberal Idiot
Dec 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, Marvel hasn't quite figured out digital.

Marvel also seems to be hanging onto its Digital Unlimited subscription model, so they might not see pricing individual issues dirt-cheap as a good idea yet.

«52 »