Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

crankdatbatman posted:

I don't read much Christian literature, but what I have read is always like this. Is there any popular Christian literature that is a bit more subtle with its undertones, or does it all assume we are morons/10 year olds and hit you with the religion like a lead pipe over and over again? Any critically acclaimed Christian literature out there?

It depends. As mentioned, there's stuff like C.S. Lewis and Chesterton's Father Brown stories, which are explicitly Christian allegories. The Narnia books I find especially grating now, reading them as an adult, because I feel like I'm getting hit with a LOOK ITS JESUS hammer every time Aslan shows up and it irritates me that I didn't grasp it all when I was a kid.

The best literary Christian writer I'm aware of is Graham Greene. Try The End of the Affair. Explicitly catholic christian, but intelligent as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It depends. As mentioned, there's stuff like C.S. Lewis and Chesterton's Father Brown stories, which are explicitly Christian allegories. The Narnia books I find especially grating now, reading them as an adult, because I feel like I'm getting hit with a LOOK ITS JESUS hammer every time Aslan shows up and it irritates me that I didn't grasp it all when I was a kid.

Lewis' Screwtape Letters is worth a look at, especially if you can get hold of the audiobook version which is read by John Cleese.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

crankdatbatman posted:

I don't read much Christian literature, but what I have read is always like this. Is there any popular Christian literature that is a bit more subtle with its undertones, or does it all assume we are morons/10 year olds and hit you with the religion like a lead pipe over and over again? Any critically acclaimed Christian literature out there?

There have been some good recs so far. I will particularly back Chesterton's stories -- Father Brown, but also his short novel The Man Who Was Thursday, which is sort of like what would happen if Kafka wrote Christian literature. Also, I suppose Evelyn Waugh's mid-to-later stuff has religious points (he's like Graham Greene, only incredibly more farcical/spiteful).

My utmost recommendation, however, would go to the stories of Flannery O'Conner. She's one of my favorite writers ever and has a very counter-intuitive sense of Christianity. So counter-intuitive that in an argument I greatly surprised one writer, a Catholic convert who was convinced her stories represented the evils and excesses of modern fiction, with the fact she was an ardent Catholic herself and wrote quite a bit on faith in modernity.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

There have been some good recs so far. I will particularly back Chesterton's stories -- Father Brown, but also his short novel The Man Who Was Thursday, which is sort of like what would happen if Kafka wrote Christian literature. Also, I suppose Evelyn Waugh's mid-to-later stuff has religious points (he's like Graham Greene, only incredibly more farcical/spiteful).

Waughs' Brideshead Revisited is jolly good, I'd recommend it quite highly. It's an examination of the Roman Catholic faith though, not a more general "Christian" sort of book.

I'm also very fond of Graham Greene. Try The End of the Affair, as a previous poster said, and if you like that, give The Power and the Glory a shot. It's about a vice-ridden priest in 1930s Mexico, where the government is attempting to outlaw Catholicism. It's a beautifully-written, very moving book.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
So this is something people might find interesting:

http://www.book-buzzes.com/

It emails you when any of your chosen authors release a new book.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 13, 2012

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Can anyone recommend a good, compelling read about the entire history of Ancient Rome-- formation to the time it was sacked by barbarians? That era in history absolutely fascinates me, and I'd like to spend what precious little reading time I have on something worthy.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Irisi posted:

Waughs' Brideshead Revisited is jolly good, I'd recommend it quite highly. It's an examination of the Roman Catholic faith though, not a more general "Christian" sort of book.

I'm also very fond of Graham Greene. Try The End of the Affair, as a previous poster said, and if you like that, give The Power and the Glory a shot. It's about a vice-ridden priest in 1930s Mexico, where the government is attempting to outlaw Catholicism. It's a beautifully-written, very moving book.

Both The Power and the Glory and Brideshead Revisited are absolutely fantastic. Another exquisite Graham Greene is The Heart of the Matter, which is basically one long rumination on despair and Catholic guilt. Amazing.

And, on that note, I'd also recommend Willa Cather's Death Comes for the Archbishop, which is a wonderful, quick and easy, more positive look at Catholocism through the character of a missionary to the Spaniards & Indians in what would become the American Southwest. It's really quite beautiful and moving.

Bringing things up to date and making them specifically American is Anne Tyler's Saint Maybe, a great exploration of small-town, American fringe religion and is, I think, her best novel, though I've never read a bad one by her. It's deeply humanizing and ultimately gracious to everyone concerned. On the other side of things, there's John Updike's In the Beauty of the Lilies, which details how four generations of one American family deal with the question of God. It's pretty bleak and the fourth section is a dud; the third section though is amazing - it's the kind of stuff that makes you remember why we read Updike in the first place, and the other two are pretty good too.

On a lighter note, while not so good as Chesterton's excellent Father Brown mysteries, the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters, about a monk in medieval times, are often very insightful about religious groups and also have cracking good plots and a lot of very accurate historic detail.

I love religion as a topic in art. I guess you can tell.

And, yeah, whoever said Flannery O'Connor up there? Is right on. Wiseblood is essential and is you read no other short stories, read A Good Man is Hard to Find. O'Connor used to say she wrote about "actions of God in territory largely held by the Devil," and nowhere is that more evident than in that bracing little story.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

On a lighter note, while not so good as Chesterton's excellent Father Brown mysteries, the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters, about a monk in medieval times, are often very insightful about religious groups and also have cracking good plots and a lot of very accurate historic detail.

I remember watching the TV series on PBS with Derek Jacobi, and I always enjoyed it. I never knew they were based on books, but I also wasn't reading as much then as I was now. I may have to put these on my wishlist so I remember to pick them up sometime.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, and if you want christian works with a more popular sci-fi type style, try A Canticle for Liebowitz.

Maksamakkara
Jan 22, 2006
I went yesterday to buy an office chair from a local second hand shop but ended buying some dirty cheap books instead. Among them were two first books of The Baroque Cycle. I have never read Stephenson, what should I expect? Big turn-off for me is flat characters, but I can manage if story and sense of wonder (or whatever) is good enough.

Edit: I noticed that Stephenson thread just now. :doh:

Maksamakkara fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 17, 2012

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

I'm thinking about getting something to protect my books, since they get kind of beat up in my bag. Anyone have any recommendations for brands/styles?

futile
May 18, 2009
I had that same problem of paperback books getting hosed up in my backpack. If you want a quick poor man's solution, grab some of those plastic colored folders with the string that ties around them. Put your book inside of it and tie it over the middle. Offers the ability to color code your stuff too, that way you can toss Wuthering Heights in the pink one and ignore it for the rest of time.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I thought the point of mass market paperbacks is that they're cheap and essentially disposable. If you want a durable book, buy a hardcover.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

futile posted:

I had that same problem of paperback books getting hosed up in my backpack. If you want a quick poor man's solution, grab some of those plastic colored folders with the string that ties around them. Put your book inside of it and tie it over the middle. Offers the ability to color code your stuff too, that way you can toss Wuthering Heights in the pink one and ignore it for the rest of time.

That's not a bad idea, thanks!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

futile posted:

Offers the ability to color code your stuff too, that way you can toss Wuthering Heights in the pink one and ignore it for the rest of time.

PHILISTINE! :argh:

futile
May 18, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

I thought the point of mass market paperbacks is that they're cheap and essentially disposable. If you want a durable book, buy a hardcover.
Well they're also cheaper*. There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a cheap paperback and keep the book in decent shape beyond a first reading. Plus it's a nuisance to read a book when the cover and pages are tearing off, bent, and dirty.

*You can actually get hardcover used books so cheap on Amazon marketplace. In great shape too. I live and die by Amazon marketplace and hardcovers, but sometimes I do end up in the unfortunate situation of owning a paperback.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

PHILISTINE!
NO! :tinfoil:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

futile posted:

Well they're also cheaper*. There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a cheap paperback and keep the book in decent shape beyond a first reading. Plus it's a nuisance to read a book when the cover and pages are tearing off, bent, and dirty.

I guess it depends on how cheap we're talking here. If you're paying full price for paperbacks, you'd really be better served making the switch to eBooks. If you're getting them for a quarter a piece at Goodwill, then you could probably just buy another copy for the same price as any sort of protector.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

I guess it depends on how cheap we're talking here. If you're paying full price for paperbacks, you'd really be better served making the switch to eBooks. If you're getting them for a quarter a piece at Goodwill, then you could probably just buy another copy for the same price as any sort of protector.

That's pretty much why I try to avoid hardcovers:. Used paperbacks are also just as cheap (or even cheaper) and it's easier to flip them at used bookstores once I'm finished reading them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A used bookstore that doesn't accept hardcovers is a fairly new concept to me. All the local ones that I visit only stipulate that you need to have a dust jacket, but the last time I was up in DC every one I went to only accepted paperbacks or big-name new releases in hardcover. That largely defeated the purpose of me going since I like to look for those rare finds that the bookstores don't know they have, and those are almost always hardcovers :v:.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's the same where I am. Last time I asked, it's just because they're harder to move, especially if they're more than few years old (since people can just buy the paperback then). In other words, nobody's going to give me more then a couple dollars credit for my Too Big to Fail hardcover.

butt baby
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know if this fits here or not but I'll give it a shot. I'm trying to find an old short story I read 4-5 years back. I think it was in Russian originally and had a shoddy translation. It was about some guy who hated a bunch of nobility because they had done a great wrong to him, and so he had to climb some stairs to get up there to enact his revenge, only problem is he couldnt get up there by himself and needed help from the devil to climb each step of the stairs or something like that. Each step the devil would ask for something in return for helping the dude with his revenge plot, and then the big twist in the end is that he gave up so much to the devil for his revenge he becomes the same despicable human being as the nobles he sought to destroy or something.

If that sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know! It made quite an impression on me when I was younger.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, and if you want christian works with a more popular sci-fi type style, try A Canticle for Liebowitz.

How the heck did I not put that there? Good catch; that's an amazing book.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer were great books, but I'm feeling a little trepidation about his Seth Grahame-Smith's next book. It will be either amazingly good or horrifyingly bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SCR5R6/ref=pe_174260_23257570_nrn_desc

quote:

They're an iconic part of history's most celebrated birth. But what do we really know about the Three Kings of the Nativity, besides the fact that they followed a star to Bethlehem bearing strange gifts? The Bible has little to say about this enigmatic trio. But leave it to Seth Grahame-Smith, the brilliant and twisted mind behind Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to take a little mystery, bend a little history, and weave an epic tale.

In Grahame-Smith's telling, the so-called "Three Wise Men" are infamous thieves, led by the dark, murderous Balthazar. After a daring escape from Herod's prison, they stumble upon the famous manger and its newborn king. The last thing Balthazar needs is to be slowed down by young Joseph, Mary and their infant. But when Herod's men begin to slaughter the first born in Judea, he has no choice but to help them escape to Egypt.

It's the beginning of an adventure that will see them fight the last magical creatures of the Old Testament; cross paths with biblical figures like Pontius Pilate and John the Baptist; and finally deliver them to Egypt. It may just be the greatest story never told.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer were great books

Are you sure?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Yes, I too enjoy classic lit but only when it has supernatural creatures. Some of my favorites are Portrait of the artist as an undead man, The life and opinions of tristram shandy, werewolf and War and peace and cthulhu.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I read rear end Goblins of Auschwitz the other day, given to me by "that guy", you know, the guy that owns everything from Eraserhead press and all of the "classic title + trochee" books. Not since "The Vagina rear end of Lucifer Niggerbastard" have I been so deeply moved. Is there really a market for this crap? Makes me very :(

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Reading Moby Dick, bout 1/5th through, they haven't even left Nantucket yet. Anyone else read this whale? I will probably have a better chance of finishing if some goons have a few kind words about the book.

As for myself, conflicted feelings so far. The writing wanders at times into unnecessary over description. It either gets really boring or really brilliant. Some parts fly by and I don't want to put it down, while other sections put me right to sleep. Seems like theres enough quality for me to see it through though.

also i do not know a lot of the words :)

hobbez fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 28, 2012

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

hobbez posted:

Reading Moby Dick, bout 1/5th through, they haven't even left Nantucket yet. Anyone else read this whale? I will probably have a better chance of finishing if some goons have a few kind words about the book.

As for myself, conflicted feelings so far. The writing wanders at times into unnecessary over description. It either gets really boring or really brilliant. Some parts fly by and I don't want to put it down, while other sections put me right to sleep. Seems like theres enough quality for me to see it through though.

also i do not know a lot of the words :)

I've read it last years, but you'll hear no kinds words from me.
The only possible way I could enjoy this book was for me to imagine that the whole 'giant monster you'll never catch' was a metaphor for readers never being able to make it through that monster of a book. But Melville wasn't modern or playful enough for that kind of poo poo by a long shot.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I am concerned when they get to sea he will run dry on topics to espouse upon and will hammer home the same metaphor for the next 300 pages compounded by banal facts on whaling aplenty

it is inevitable, mr anderson

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
To quote my high school AP U.S. history teacher: "It was painful, but I learned a lot about fishing."

(I haven't read the book, though, so I can't comment.)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It helps to skip every other chapter.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Ornamented Death posted:

It helps to skip every other chapter.

This. Just start skipping all the plot chapters and come away with an encyclopedic knowledge of cetuses.

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Reading Moby Dick is like reading War & Peace: you will hate it as you read it and feel like abandoning it forever, but once you finish it, it feels goddamned good and it all comes together as something greater than the sum of its parts. I love both books and will probably read them again someday.

That said, it made me really want to go whale watching or something else that's ultra white up in New England or British Columbia.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

vegaji posted:

Reading Moby Dick is like reading War & Peace: you will hate it as you read it and feel like abandoning it forever, but once you finish it, it feels goddamned good and it all comes together as something greater than the sum of its parts. I love both books and will probably read them again someday.

That said, it made me really want to go whale watching or something else that's ultra white up in New England or British Columbia.

Basically this. I love Moby Dick, but only after five tries. The first three times I gave up. On my fourth try I made it through and didn't want to see the drat book ever again. Re-read it recently and loved it. Everything just clicked. It's a big, crazy novel that can also be boring somehow.

One prof I had said to think of it as being on a boat in the ocean. Dive into the parts you like, skim atop the rest. That's how I got through it the first time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I loved the opening about Man and The Sea. That was it.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Interesting I find this quote while randomly skimming reviews of Gravity's Rainbow on GoodReads

quote:

By way of something approximating a meaningful comparison, I'd say that what Herman Melville does for Whales in Moby Dick is sort of akin to what Pynchon does for Rockets in Gravity's Rainbow.

True enough. Anyone here read V? Might be next on the list. I miss my postmodern dudes, and I shouldn't reread Infinite Jest for a few years. For my health you know.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

hobbez posted:

True enough. Anyone here read V? Might be next on the list. I miss my postmodern dudes, and I shouldn't reread Infinite Jest for a few years. For my health you know.

My favorite Pynchon book. All the usual stuff: very funny, lots of grotesque bits, silly character names, obscure references. One barely compehensible chapter written from a deranged character's viewpoint.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are you sure?

Ok lets rephrase that. They were extremely enjoyable fun books.

I've read lots of great literature that I appreciated on an intellectual level which I did not particularly enjoy.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein and nearing the end. I read Time Enough for Love and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress so I know he loves him some polygamy but I find myself hoping for the death of all of Mike's "church" so they can't spread to the rest of the planet. I know it makes me ignorant but gently caress them. They don't laugh and are inhuman gods. He set out to join the human race but is going to change them instead. They all say how wonderfully happy they are but are so rich that they no longer understand the concept of money. None of them produce anything. They only know how to send poo poo into nothingness, which makes its own set of problems if they continue to permanently disappear matter. An entire planet like them would be boring as hell. Characters keep comparing him to Jesus but Jesus never taught people to raise the dead or walk on water. Oh yeah, and they cannot be killed or poisoned and live as long as they want.

I'll see how it ends soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
We got a kitten from my mother-in-law's cat and we named him Poe.

My mother in law's reaction: "POE?! Wha'tha hell kinda name is Poe? Y'all pick the dumbest names fer yer animals. Poe. It don't make sense".

I didn't think in this day and age there would be someone who's never heard of Edgar Allan Poe. I was like "um, probably the most famous American writer of the 19th century?" "Never even heard of him. Y'all are strange".

Irony: she named Poe's mom Squeaky.