Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
I just finished up the second book of the Broken Empire series- King of Thorns - and it's pretty good. Has anyone else read this one? I'm digging it, but most of my friends were so put off by the horrifyingly evil protagonist that they couldn't get through the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

SavTargaryen posted:

I just finished up the second book of the Broken Empire series- King of Thorns - and it's pretty good. Has anyone else read this one? I'm digging it, but most of my friends were so put off by the horrifyingly evil protagonist that they couldn't get through the first.
I liked Thorns and really liked King. Emperor was a bit of a let-down though, and his new trilogy really does feel like more of the same. Like he's posted all this "well it's funny people think the books are similar because Jorg was a psychopath killer while Jalan is a coward" smug bullshit and you're just thinking "yeah, but it's still first person, in the same world, they still have these wiffly little philosophical noodlings and the odd one liner in their internal monologue".

Not bad.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Do you guys know of any good book podcasts? I'm mainly into NY Time bestsellers and Sci-fi/Fantasy so it would be great if there are any centered around those kind of books.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
This may be the totally incorrect place to ask, but I'm not really sure where else to ask. Feel free to redirect me if not appropriate.

I used Calibre e-book management to fix the metadata on my ebook files, which I'd like to upload to my google drive so that my boyfriend and I can access them to read on our tablets. Calibre uses their own filing system which I understand, but I'd honestly just like one big folder of the epub/pdfs organized by title instead of this huge series of folders done by author names. I dont want to have to access them via the calibre cloud thing on my tab. It's a pain and the covers take forever to load. I'd like something more like itunes where I can flip through the covers or see them all in a list. Is there a way to do this? Or should I just manually pull them all from the author name folders into one big folder?

Sorry to ask a software question here, but I figured it was the most likely place to find other people on the forums who have probably used Calibre.

I just wanna read my books :/

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
So what does everyone think of Amazon's move into Australia?

http://bitethebook.com/2014/11/12/amazon-is-coming-to-australia-in-the-most-underhanded-way/

The publisher I work for is in talks at the moment, but I personally think we should just ignore them. Very frustrating because yet again publishers are only going to think short term.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sounds like Amazon.

MaggieTheCat
Nov 7, 2010

Vorik posted:

Do you guys know of any good book podcasts? I'm mainly into NY Time bestsellers and Sci-fi/Fantasy so it would be great if there are any centered around those kind of books.

I like the Sword and Laser podcast for Sci-fi/Fantasy. It is a book club over on Goodreads, they rotate between reading a sci-fi and fantasy book each month. They also discuss the latest news in the book world, such as new releases. I enjoy listening to it.

http://swordandlaser.com/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Is there a way to do this? Or should I just manually pull them all from the author name folders into one big folder?
Sadly, no. It's a philosophical thing from Calibre's point of view. here are a bunch of words on it (click the spoiler). They basically want you to use calibre like an itunes frontend, and it's designed as such.

I use calibre as my base station on my PC and end up just copying files over to my kindle as-needed via the USB. It works OK, but like you, am disappointed at the lack of flexibility if I wanted to share my library (or parts of it) with others. The only options are the complete library, emailing books one at a time, or their lovely webserver thing.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 13, 2014

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There was a thread, and I think it was in TBB, about King Arthur. I can't find it, however; anyone got a link?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alec Eiffel posted:

There was a thread, and I think it was in TBB, about King Arthur. I can't find it, however; anyone got a link?

I abused my mod powers to move it to the goldmine before it went into archives.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
How is Another Bullshit Night in Suck City? I noticed it at the used bookstore nearby, but didn't know enough about it or the author to buy it right then.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Will we be doing Secret Santa this year?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

Will we be doing Secret Santa this year?

Oh my. Is that a thing? Did we do that last year? Do I need to run it? Can someone link me to an old thread where it worked?

I'm not against it in theory but want to make sure (as much as possible) that there isn't drama if people give and don't get.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh my. Is that a thing? Did we do that last year? Do I need to run it? Can someone link me to an old thread where it worked?

I'm not against it in theory but want to make sure (as much as possible) that there isn't drama if people give and don't get.

I think you're asking for a lot of headache if you try to start one up right now.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
It happened last year. Quad is the one runs it. One year he sent his own gifts to every person in the Secret Santa, it was an extra gift for everybody, pretty generous of him.

I think the gift limit was :20bux:, but someone gave me a $15 gift card to Amazon :rolleyes:.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

blue squares posted:

I think you're asking for a lot of headache if you try to start one up right now.
Aw nuts :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'll check in with Quad and see if he's up for it again this year.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I should probably finish The Recognitions sometime, I have the bad habit of switching books halfway or near done and never going back to, but I really wanna finish that; problem is, though, this book is kinda dense, so I might have no idea what was going on if I just pick up from where I left off.
What do you usually do in cases like this? Just re-read the whole thing or check some cliffnotes?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Honest Thief posted:

I should probably finish The Recognitions sometime, I have the bad habit of switching books halfway or near done and never going back to, but I really wanna finish that; problem is, though, this book is kinda dense, so I might have no idea what was going on if I just pick up from where I left off.
What do you usually do in cases like this? Just re-read the whole thing or check some cliffnotes?

If it's been long enough I'd just start over, but if you don't want to do that you can check out some of the summaries here to remind you what's going on.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
http://www.secretsantaorganizer.com/

Hands
Apr 28, 2008

This house will become a shrine, and punks and skins and rastas will all gather round and hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader. And all the grown-ups will say, "But why are the kids crying?" And the kids will say, "Haven't you heard? Rick is dead! The People's Poet is dead!"
I've just finished grad school, and finally have time to read for pleasure again. I'm currently plowing through Don DeLillo's "Underworld", and I'm loving it. Anyone know if "Libra" is worth reading, or anything else by DeLillo? I've read "White Noise" before, and it was fantastic.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hands posted:

I've just finished grad school, and finally have time to read for pleasure again. I'm currently plowing through Don DeLillo's "Underworld", and I'm loving it. Anyone know if "Libra" is worth reading, or anything else by DeLillo? I've read "White Noise" before, and it was fantastic.

Have you read David Foster Wallace? He is very "White Noise"y

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 19, 2014

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll check in with Quad and see if he's up for it again this year.

Cool... I hope we do it. I've done it the past few years and had a blast both giving and getting books.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Why do my hardcovers warp?

Edited a picture in.

I moved to a new place a year ago and this is what it does to books. The book in the picture is from the library and that's what ten hours in my bedroom has done to it.

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 19, 2014

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Hands posted:

I've only read Point Omega, but it was really good!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Why do my hardcovers warp?

Edited a picture in.

I moved to a new place a year ago and this is what it does to books. The book in the picture is from the library and that's what ten hours in my bedroom has done to it.

Moisture perhaps?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, I would definitely blame moisture/humidity.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What is with the seeming explosion in the last ten years of the "The [person]'s [relation to person]" title phenomenon? Or am I just a victim of selective perception?

Also, finally getting around to reading Idoru (listened to the audiobook of Virtual Light years and liked it, library didn't have any other books in the series). It's actually an ARC that I got in a random eBay lot a while back, signed to boot. I like to pretend all the little fuckups (really just occasional punctuation, especially around dialog) are Gibson's and I'm getting a glimpse into his human fallibility, although I'm 95% certain it's the typesetter or OCR or something's doing. I really enjoy Gibson's writing style.

According to the back cover, it has(had?) a marketing budget of $100k in North America. Does that even happen anymore?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What is with the seeming explosion in the last ten years of the "The [person]'s [relation to person]" title phenomenon? Or am I just a victim of selective perception?

Bit of that, bit of hack writers and publishers with only a dim idea of what makes books sell. Remember when everything was what we talked about when we talk about [x]?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
There is an Amazon coupon code for 30% off any physical book this weekend, up to $10 off the book.

You have to enter code HOLIDAY30 when you're checking out.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Juanito posted:

There is an Amazon coupon code for 30% off any physical book this weekend, up to $10 off the book.

You have to enter code HOLIDAY30 when you're checking out.

Thanks for this! Just ordered a hardcover copy of Count of Monte Cristo that I've been meaning to read for ages now, but never had that push to get me to buy it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Any tips for getting pages that have been water damaged unstuck? It's actually a self-published photo book of mine, had it in a supposedly rainproof backpack on a trip last summer and it got ruined. The site that I made it from has since gone under, so I wanted to get everything unstuck with a minimum of damage to the images so I can reconstruct it elsewhere. Missed all the Cyber Monday sales, so it's gonna be a next year project :sigh:

Quandary posted:

Thanks for this! Just ordered a hardcover copy of Count of Monte Cristo that I've been meaning to read for ages now, but never had that push to get me to buy it.

I really liked it, make sure you don't get an abridged version though.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Kilonum posted:

Yeah, I would definitely blame moisture/humidity.
The solution is to hermetically seal everything

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not a question about specific books, but is there some sort of official name for the Abbot and Costello pair every story has? One is usually a stick in the mud and the other's carefree/a golden hearted criminal. Just wondering since it's such a common thing and saying "those non-protagonists who hate each other but wind up being BFFs by the end" is a bit too long winded.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
It's usually referred to as an odd couple.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
D'oh, haven't heard that term in years. Thanks.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'll never understand how, on a very consistent basis, The Book Depository can ship a book across the Atlantic Ocean and have it arrive in near-perfect condition, but Amazon can't ship a book from half a state away (and not even a big state like Texas, just an average-sized state) without it being beat all to hell. Confounding this puzzle is the fact that Amazon owns TBD.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Have you considered not using Amazon and instead supporting your local bookshops.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Have you considered not using Amazon and instead supporting your local bookshops.

The one local, non-big-box bookstore near me is probably pretty happy with my fairly frequent visits. When they start accepting Amazon gift cards, which is what I've used to purchase the last thousand dollars or so worth of books I've gotten from Amazon (and the Book Depository), then I'll start taking advantage of that option, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Personally I would rather use amazon to pay some guy to ruin his back so I can get a book for one penny. I don't like the bemused look the college vegitarian at cash register at my closest real bookstore gives me when I buy Polish books. I know, polish writers are a poor mans Russian and please stop referring to me as Ignatius.