Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

zeldadude posted:

Hey guys, quick question, my girlfriend is trying to order the Discworld series and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best place to order them new. She's been able to find them separately on different websites but wasn't sure if there was one place she could get all of them for cheaper. Cheers :)

Edit: never mind, found them! Thanks anyways!
So what's the best place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Juanito posted:

So what's the best place?

Ha, knew I should've put that in there! She figured out Barnes and Noble's website is the best. Dunno why that wasn't the first website she checked, hah. Specifically the "used" copies that people sell on there, not from B&N themselves.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who is a whiz at finding rare books at reasonable prices? I am looking for Pharaoh by Boleslaw Prus, in particular the Christopher Kasparek translation (not the old public-domain Jeremiah Curtin one, which I dislike), but I don't see it anywhere for less than ninety-two dollars.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Bongo Bill posted:

Who is a whiz at finding rare books at reasonable prices? I am looking for Pharaoh by Boleslaw Prus, in particular the Christopher Kasparek translation (not the old public-domain Jeremiah Curtin one, which I dislike), but I don't see it anywhere for less than ninety-two dollars.
Not seeing anything cheap out there. I'd set up notifications from abebooks.com, and eBay. Someone might put up a copy at some point. You could get a good deal on it that way... someday.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

There's this on australian ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pharaoh-By-Boleslaw-Prus-Christopher-Kasparek-/381580502701?hash=item58d7f866ad

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Alas, "Doesn't post to United States." I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
The top of the page also says it is out of stock. Really not clear..

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
kind of a cool twitter with sentences from moby dick. Lotta good ones.

https://twitter.com/MobyDickatSea

(h/t SirBruce)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You know what else has a lot of cool sentences from Moby Dick?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
1001 Lines To Seem Intellectual At Parties?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

You know what else has a lot of cool sentences from Moby Dick?

This clickhole post has all of them http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/time-i-spent-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-chang-768

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Does anyone know what this QCS post is referencing?

Jose posted:

someone got upset in the book barn about harry potter becuase they were forced to live in a cupboard under the stairs or something. does anyone remember that post?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I definitely remember that but I don't have archives to dig it up. It was in the old Harry Potter thread right?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i really need that post

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It was more someone confessing that they found reading the first book uncomfortable because they had been abused as a child (can't remember the specifics, it was some kind of abuse by relatives, less whimsical than what the Dursleys did), then a whole bunch of goons started making light of the abuse.

It wasn't the barrel of laughs you're expecting.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It would be cool if the posters in this forum really were forced to live in a cupboard under the stairs.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

A human heart posted:

It would be cool if the posters in this forum really were forced to live in a cupboard under the stairs.

Sp.. sp.. spongebob Squarepants?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Hedrigall posted:

It was more someone confessing that they found reading the first book uncomfortable because they had been abused as a child (can't remember the specifics, it was some kind of abuse by relatives, less whimsical than what the Dursleys did), then a whole bunch of goons started making light of the abuse.

It wasn't the barrel of laughs you're expecting.

There's an article by Jenny Diski about Roald Dahl and how a responsible parent cannot read their kids that stuff, because it's full of bizarre, violent, misogynistic malice towards miserable characters who should arouse empathy in mature readers. And then she wrote how her kid was like "it's good because the adults get beaten up and the adults don't like that"

Anyway that's my take on Harry Potter

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I figured that I'd share this with everyone. Powell's out of Portland is having the quarterly friends and family sale. 30% off your online purchase. Use the code FRIENDY57ERFA and go buy some good books.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Behold the face of SATAN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eWdbMBYlH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZxipry6kE

slaughtered for a 5.99 dell in my pants everyone knows bill cosby is guilty no one cares Venom Prison Record: The Primal Chaos Song: Babylon the whore

Babylon the seven heads of babylon the whore

Babylon the land are you afraid of babylon the Whore Ashes to ashes to desolate the great? burning Autumn 2015 on Soaked In Torment Records.lyrics Lyrics: Babylon the great? burning the crimson rivers of blasphemy I am vengeance for countless rapes and murders
your children slaughtered for their fathers of discontent and you have no escape see the flames of discontent and you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land are you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land are you afraid of babylon the Whore
Babylon the Whore

Babylon The Primal Chaos Song: Babylon the whore see the whore see the seven heads of blasphemy I am vengeance for countless rapes and murders
your children slaughtered for their fathers guilt
filling the Whore burn renounced, stripped naked you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to dust witness a woman rising from the great? burning the crimson rivers of blasphemy I am vengeance for countless a woman rising from my flesh I'm coming the Whore 7" coming from my pants everyone knows bill cosby is guilty no one cares Venom Prison rivers of devout stripped naked you afraid of babylon the whore burning the shame of Mother Whore burn - watch it burn renounced, stripped naked you eat from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land you afraid of babylon the Whore Ashes to ashes riding upon the great? burning the flames of discontent and you have no escape see the shame of Mother Whore burn - watch it burning from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the shame of Mother Whore see the shame of Mother Whore
Babylon the shame of Mother Whore
to hell for their father Whore
Babylon the bible is right all ******s of discontent and you have no escape see the flames of discontent and you have no escape see the shame of Mothers guilt
filling the crimson rising from my flesh I'm coming back to desolate the land are you eat from the Whore Ashes riding from my pants everyone knows bill cosby is guilty no one cares Venom Primal Chaos Song: Babylon the great?

all shall see the great? burn - watch it burn renounced, stripped naked you eat from my flesh I'm coming from the ashes dust to desolate the ashes right all ******s
your children slaughtered for countless rapes and are you afraid of babylon the great?

4. When asking a question that is specific to your situation (i.e. "help!"), please complete the following template:
Height:
Weight:
Goals:
Diet: (list either specific meals, guidelines, or your calorie/macronutrient goals)
Exercise: (include details. Your program, how much you're lifting, how far you're running/cycling, or whatever else is applicable)
Add details. The more information, the better.
Question:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So dare is in TBB now? Great.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I used to like reading about serial killers, etc. But just finished Confession of a Serial Killer: The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer. I was familiar with the guy, knew he was really bad. But dang, he was way more hosed up and conniving then I had thought. He also had a ton of targets that thankfully never panned out. I think I'm done with books about serial killers.

I've read a few books since, but still can't get Dennis Rader out of my mind.

The book is very good, if you're interested in serial killers and/or Dennis Rader. I've decided that I'm not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Juanito posted:

The book is very good, if you're interested in serial killers and/or Dennis Rader. I've decided that I'm not.

good call

i do sometimes get fascinated by accounts of horrible things but i really dont want to know those same things. thx for the caution

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ras Het posted:

There's an article by Jenny Diski about Roald Dahl and how a responsible parent cannot read their kids that stuff, because it's full of bizarre, violent, misogynistic malice towards miserable characters who should arouse empathy in mature readers. And then she wrote how her kid was like "it's good because the adults get beaten up and the adults don't like that"

Anyway that's my take on Harry Potter

The things that people say are bad about Dahl are exactly the reasons I liked him as a kid.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
You were drawn to him as a child because of his anti-semitism?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Is there an author from the 20th century who didn't have a lovely opinion?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah, whattya wanna know?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
The first two Potter books, especially at the beginnings, felt very Roald Dahl-ish and were part of their attraction.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think Franz Kafka was a pretty decent dude. Please don't prove me wrong.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
im pretty sure his most questionable stance was ardent zionism which, eh

he was also an anxious neurotic which makes him A-OK in my book

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 2, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chernobyl kinsman posted:

:same:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Llamas have those weird hosed up teeth so they can castrate rival males. Do Alpacas use them for the same reason and does this book elaborate?

I got a slightly giddy feeling today as I went into a charity shop which was selling what looked like a first edition of The Gathering Storm for about £1

It wasn't :(

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Terry Pratchett?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Terry Pratchett?

Monarchist scum whose liteary work had a negative impact on human civilization

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Rush Limbo posted:

Llamas have those weird hosed up teeth so they can castrate rival males. Do Alpacas use them for the same reason and does this book elaborate?

I got a slightly giddy feeling today as I went into a charity shop which was selling what looked like a first edition of The Gathering Storm for about £1

It wasn't :(

It's just 12 pages of cute llamas

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

Monarchist scum whose liteary work had a negative impact on human civilization

he is to be indicted for contributing, like douglas adams, to degenerate pseudointellectual reddit-atheist geek culture, not his support of the one true form of government

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

he is to be indicted for contributing, like douglas adams, to degenerate pseudointellectual reddit-atheist geek culture, not his support of the one true form of government

If he was going to be a monarchist you'd think he could have supported the divine right of kings instead of lame constitutional monarchy bullcrap

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

blue squares posted:

I'm getting frustrated as I try to decide what to read between the three books I'm agonizing over. Alive, the story of the soccer team that crashed in the Andes; In the Garden of Beasts, Larsen's book about Nazi Germany; and The Looming Tower, Lawrence Wright's Pulitzer winner that documents the rise of Al-Qaeda and the attack on Sept. 11.

Do try Alive. You've got to have a certain tolerance for "inspired by God" stuff - both the survivors and author are catholics - but it was how the framed things to themselves at the time. I much preferred the book to the feature film and the documentary film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

im pretty sure his most questionable stance was ardent zionism which, eh

Zionism was a pretty big issue and seen as a silver bullet to solve the "Jewish Question" at the time. It is kind of touching that Kafka started to learn Yiddish and Hebrew in his 30s because he wanted to connect with his ancestral past. His family was German/Czech speaking and very keen to distance themselves from the shetls.

The worst anyone ever dug up on Kafka was a in recent book which revealed....he ordered some erotic literature. Pretty tame stuff, it seems. As far as I remember, Kafka never ran for office on a "family values" platform, so... meh? :shrug: