Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Yeah, people always bitch about all the threads being grrm and sci-fi, but no one ever makes a thread for "real" literature. Well, one that's serious and doesn't belong in EW.

Yep, and it's one of the reasons that TBB continues to not achieve some perceived "higher standard", because nobody wants to put in any actual effort to do something besides bitch about it. The complainers should just find another community that might be more inline with their particular tastes or STFU.

Or maybe if there should be an actual incentive to do so, like getting a probation or ban for bitching about content without making an effort to improve. Shitposting is cracked down elsewhere on SA - I'm not sure why TBB seems to get a free pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

7 y.o. bitch posted:

BOOM! HEADSHOT!

:golfclap:

I gotta get my smoking jacket back from the cleaners then I'll join you fine fellows.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

knees of putty posted:

Well most of the criticism of TBB I've seen focusses on the predominance of SF/Fantasy, and it's hard to argue against when you have this type of thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345499 which consists of recommending all the named threads in the forum.

And that's the problem I'm getting at - people complain about those threads but they don't do anything to counterbalance those threads. Either the complainers need to start contributing more useful threads, find another forum that attracts a demographic more in line with their taste in fiction or just suck it up.

By the same token, the quality of posting is pretty lovely at times in TBB, but that would seem to be more of a moderation problem and not a problem specifically with fantasy threads in general. It might also help if there was just a sticky thread at the top that lists the most frequently recommended fantasy/sci-fi series with a brief synopsis - and people got probated/banned for posting what basically amounts to PYF fantasy series wankfests, which I grant are pretty loving dull and repeat the same recommendations over and over with very little new content - like the thread you posted.

I mostly drop in to look for good recommendations in the Just Finished thread and don't really follow the fantasy discussion threads much myself, admittedly.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a book based on a very loose and very vague description.

In the beginning, the book was following some girl who was locked away in a castle or something and one of her only friends was the ghost of some guy who may or may not have gone on some fantastic adventure to get some sweet princess poon or something when he was alive. I remember key points being the girl confided to some place, and the guy was a ghost. This was all in the first 20-50 pages of the book. I have no idea where it was going from there.

Crewel Lye by Piers Anthony?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

Holy crap. You are some sort of wizard. Well done. Is that series any good?

The first several Xanth books aren't too bad but it got progressively crappy once the series got into the double digits. I read a shitload of them when I was younger.

Expect a lot of groan-worthy puns. Piers Anthony (the author) does come off as a creepy fucker at points but the early books keep that to a minimum from what I recall.

I'd say Crewel Lye is probably the best of the early ones, though - that's actually the first Xanth novel I ever read myself. A couple of the other early ones like Castle Roogna and Centaur Aisle are both pretty good as well.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

This makes a lot more sense now. Back in 8th grade English we had that crappy "reading time" and one day I didn't have a book so I was allowed to pick one off of the teachers shelf. She got really worried and upset saying she wasn't sure it would be appropriate for me but I shrugged it off. Never got to the hot unmentionable on sinful creature action.

Heh. If it was Crewel Lye, there's not much in the way of sex - a few bits where the femme fatale character gets naked but nothing overly graphic and definitely no real sex scenes to speak of. There's a fair amount of gore, though. It leans more towards a pulpy sword and sorcery adventure than a goofy pun-fest like the later books.

Admittedly, I haven't read it in years so no idea how well it holds up now.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Just a heads up for any James Ellroy fans in TBB - Ellroy is hosting a six-part series called LA: City of Demons on the Investigation Discovery channel. First episode airs tomorrow at 10 PM.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

Also, Goon Aurthur's should be showcased for one month. gimmi a list!

Felix Gilman. I want to say he is/was on here as FJG - I know he posted about his debut fantasy novel Thunderer in TBB as that was how I heard about it.

Edit: Robert Jackson Bennett (aka Spiny Norman) - author of Mr. Shivers.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 15, 2011

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Quad posted:

Are there legitimate free NASCAR romance pdfs out there, though? I can't imagine 1 person in TBB laying down money for "And then he turned left, into her heart."

I think it goes more like, "He lubed up his dipstick and slid it into her intake".

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

According to my father the Borders closing "sale" is a joke. He was in the DVD section and was interested in buying the complete set of Deadwood. They had it marked down from $150 to $120, which isn't bad, except Amazon has it for $96 shipped.

That's a shame. I thought they were trying to get rid of some dead wood before they closed down. :downsrim:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Odette posted:

Or tattooing it on his skin. "Kurt Cobain Vonnegut!"

Smells Like Slaughterhouse Five?

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

I'm no expert on ambient nor a channer, but you could try out /mu/'s essential ambient. Of course, you could always ask in No Music Discussion, or stream some sort of ambient/New Age/instrumental online radio.

I don't know why I didn't mention this before (big ambient fan myself), but SomaFM has a ton of great streaming radio channels including a great ambient channel called Drone Zone (I discovered one of my current favorite artists on there, as a matter of fact).

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Some drone/ambient I like to listen to while reading: Tim Hecker, Stars of the Lid, Belong, Gas, William Basinski, Fennesz, Aidan Baker, Eluvium.

I also listen to a lot of other electronic music that's less ambient but still pretty unobtrusive, like Four Tet, Pantha du Prince, The Field, Boards of Canada, etc.

Get some Harold Budd, Delerium, Dead Can Dance, Future Sound of London, and Enigma up in there too.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

DrGonzo90 posted:

Definitely agree with this, it's an excellent prose facing-page translation with a good introduction and notes. It's the version I used in my college Divine Comedy class.

A while back, I snagged a copy of the original Longfellow translation that has all the awesome woodcuts done by Gustav Dore in it along with notes. How well-regarded is that translation compared to the others out there? I've read a little bit of it so far but I definitely have zippo familiarity with Latin so I have no idea how much it loses in Longfellow's version.

I've read the Robert Fitzgerald translation of The Aeneid (same question there about translation quality - I really enjoyed it, though) within the last year so I'm up on my Virgil at least.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone know where I can find some Thomas Ligotti without paying an arm & a leg? I've bought the Teatro Grottesco and My Work Is Not Yet Done collections off of Amazon because they were both fairly cheap. Just about all of his other works seem to be in the $80 and up range.

You might try Half.com - I've used that extensively to get a hold of books and movies on the cheap. No idea if you'll be able to find Ligotti for a reasonable price, though.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I've got the Kirkpatrick translation and I have a few problems with it which I'll get to during the read. Mostly stylistic choices than anything else. I'm really interested to see how other translators handle the text and even if we can lure some native speakers in for some comparative readings. I wouldn't worry about Latin as Dante wrote the original in Italian. In fact I believe the reason Italian's speak the language they do today is down to Dante. If you're going to select a unified language for your country, pick the one Dante wrote in.

Glad we've got a Virgil reader on board too, I even included a plea for Virgil readers in my draft OP because his influence is so drat heavy, I'm really curious to share some discussion on that guy.

Also, I adore the Gustave Dore illustrations. It's impossible for me to imagine Dante's hell any other way.

Hopefully get the ball rolling tomorrow!

Yeah, I want to read the Aeneid again soon. I'm not sure I can contribute a huge amount without reading it again to fix it in my mind, but it definitely got me interested in reading the Divine Comedy since I knew that Virgil acts as Dante's guide through Hell.

The woodcuts are absolutely awesome, I agree. I love the rendering of Charon as a huge half-naked dude smacking the souls of the damned with a huge oar, as opposed to the silent hooded boatman that he's usually portrayed as.

Van Dis posted:

Keep it for the woodcuts, read a modern translation, imo. Longfellow is wordy and his syntax is tortured because he desperately wished he were European. Basically he overtranslated the text (and this comes from an Italian speaker). The Durling best keeps the sense of vulgate.

Thanks, I'll have to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

What, nobody's mentioned that he got the Atrocity Archives? I'd keep that at least along with the Mieville and Assassin's Apprentice. I'm lukewarm on most of the other stuff (that I've read, of course).