Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I use hockey cards. Right now it's one with Chris Chelios on it. I've still got a bunch of them from when I was a kid lying around and it's not like I have a better use for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Has anybody here used The Book Depository before? They're a UK-based bookseller that promises free worldwide shipping. I just bought a couple books from them. It was pretty cheap, but I have no idea how long it'll take to get my books.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, it's a really good site. As long as my books don't take like a month or two to get here, it's where I'll be buying them online from now on.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

jmaze posted:

One is filled with spoilers, and one isn't. The one that isn't is for new readers so they can discuss the books while reading them instead of having to avoid the cesspit that is the old thread. I don't see why this is a problem.

But isn't that the very exact reason there's this stuff?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's mine. I've had an account for a while, but I haven't gotten the hang of the networking part yet. http://www.goodreads.com/thebarkclam

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

biblio.com lets the individual sellers set prices. So sometimes it's still like amazon gouging, but some (betterworldbooks) have free shipping. Most of them give you discounts on multiple books shipping from them.

Thanks for this. For some reason, I'm paying $12 less on Biblio for the same books, from the same bookseller, then I am on Abebooks.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

Is it normal for writers to sit in bookshops and try drum up trade like a fruit seller on a market stall? I've never seen it before.

I heard a story once where Harlen Ellison sat and wrote a short story in the window of a bookstore once to make a point about how writing is actually work (or something like that), but I've never heard of the writer actually pushing their own stuff.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KevinHeaven posted:

I have a couple books lined up for me to read, but I don't know which one I should start with first. I've got Rant by Chuck Pahlaniuk, Generation of Swine by Hunter S. Thompson, and Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole.

Generation of Swine is probably the worst of Thompson's books, so I wouldn't start there. It's a pretty dull and uninspired collection of his columns from the San Francisco Examiner in the mid 80s.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Well, the thing with Hemingway's style is that he cut his chops writing for newspapers where editors would cut out all the unnecessary words. As a result, he has a really terse, tight style. When I was in journalism school, we studied his short stories for that reason.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
In all seriousness, just hit up goodwill or the salvation army for a used bookshelf. I don't see the point in dropping $60 on something new when you can pick up a used one for a third of the price.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

rasser posted:

I'll stop derailing and ask a question instead: How do you BB goons deal with the loneliness of your literaty taste, which I believe must be common for most of us? I really need that someone to share my interests with - and my beloved girlfriend just reads chick lit and Stieg Larsen while I'm keen on discussing Arendt, Levi, Calvino, Miller etc etc.
I'm very satisfied with her otherwise, but she has crap for literature taste.

I'm actually pretty lucky that a friend of mine also reads a lot about sports and was an ancient history major, so I can talk about most of what I read, but I find that on the whole I don't really talk about books too often. It's not really a big deal.

I guess if I get really lonely about my literary, I could hit up craigslist or something.

Also, I hear IKEA has pretty good breakfast, although I haven't tried it yet.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I'll toss out a question: I just grabbed a copy of the current Penguin edition of Gargantua and Pantagruel, which is the Screech translation, but I've had trouble finding opinions on how good/bad it is. I've been less than impressed with the most recent Penguin translations of Borges and The Táin, and Rabelais translations are a grab-bag anyway, so I'm wondering what I should expect. Anyone have thoughts in either direction?

That's funny, I got a used copy of JM Cohen's translation (Penguin's older translation) of that a few days ago and was wondering along the same lines: if I should have sprung a few more bucks and gone for the newer translation.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm just finding that threat neat reading. Literary theory is something I'd like to know more about and I'm learning from what's there.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'd like to see Roth finally get one, but I'm starting to think that if he was ever going to, he would have by now.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I usually give whatever the used bookstore doesn't want to Goodwill. Donating to a Rotery sale is a good idea too, though. As long as you don't throw them in the trash, you can't really go wrong.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

I liked that black authors idea. Off the top of my head, I want to put The Color Purple and The Invisible Man by Ellison on the poll, as well as something by Richard Wright. So that leaves two nominations open, suggest away.

I'd be down for Native Son. I've got a copy I've been putting off reading for a few months now.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I think 7 Y.O. had it right when he said something to effect of his poetry is really just prose with line breaks. Bukowski's a fun writer - Women stands out for me - but his poetry is rather hit and miss. I know I certainly didn't like it as much as his novels - I read a collection of his a while back that had both and I was skipping over all the poems by the end.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I've actually found Amazon is pretty good for that. I've plugged in a bunch of books I own and it uses them plus stuff I look at and it spits out some pretty interesting stuff from time to time.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
How do you feel about Penguin's original-spelling edition of Canterbury Tales? It's one I've been thinking about picking up in the new year.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I wouldn't even recommend Rum Diaries at all. It's pretty much Thompson spinning tales about himself and playing them off as fiction about somebody else (but really about him). There's a reason why a book he wrote in the 1960s wasn't released for decades. Campaign Trail is a much better and funnier book.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'd be down for a poem of the month. My goal for 2011 is to get better read in poetry - I'm starting with Chaucer and reading a volume of poetry a month - so I'd take part.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm kind of anticipating The Pale King, but I also probably won't read it until it comes out in paperback.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
How about Rabelais?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm probably somewhat late on this, but I only just found out about the Library of America's story of the week: every week, they post something from one of their collections, be it an essay, short story or something else. It's a neat project and there's a lot of interesting stuff in it's archives (and some good stories in those links).

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 23, 2011

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Whatever happened to the book swap thread? Wasn't that supposed to happen in January or something?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I think a baseball-themed month would be cool, actually.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Quad posted:

So I just updated my Calibre and got the Goodreads plugin, now I can easily sync my Sony Reader to my Facebook! ....this would be cooler if I had more than 2 friends doing the same thing. :(
Any goons on Goodreads? Any special groups, etc? It'd be interesting to see some of the more prolific posters reading lists.

I don't think there's a group, but there's a few posters from here on Goodreads. I think there was a thread a while ago.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Would anybody be up for doing a big rear end summer read again? I've got a few book ideas in mind.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I have JM Cohen's translation and while I like it, I've also heard Burton Raffel's is good. I think it's the one Norton uses in their anthologies. If you're interested, I could type up a selection from both.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm actually more partial to Werner Herzog's rendition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3xFZ0A15Bg&feature=player_embedded

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Anybody doing a big summer read? I'm thinking when I get some time, I'm going to finally start on Fielding's Tom Jones.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Nice! Jest is a great read, it's not as hard as you'd think once you get into it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Goodreads owns, any site with identical lists called best books ever and worst books ever really knows how to recommend 'em.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Does that not happen at yours? It even used to happen up here, back when we had a real library.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Your hands naturally secrete oil and it's getting onto the pages. No biggie. I guess if it really bugs you, wear gloves when reading?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's really cool the book of the month club is literally about books that nobody wants to read. What's October's category? In-Flight Magazines?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

GZA Genius posted:

I just dont see how its a literary classic. It just seems like smut material for goons to sperg on.

It's cool when somebody who doesn't know how to read teaches for a living.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Helmacron posted:

I don't know if that's bad, if so the connotation has passed me by like the period of time I probably could have caught my tinea with simple pharmaceutical creams instead of how I'm now working up the nerve to apply this tincture I've concocted from formulin and dettol, of which yes, I just happened to have. I was surprised too.

But the book has a foreword by David Eggers and I really don't like David Eggers, so I can be upset about that, and you can be upset about a book being made into a small, sexy paperback that can be carried around and read by the intellectual on the go.

Because it sounds like you are, upset that is, and that's kinda why I wrote the whole first paragraph. Because that's just as silly. Do you have a good reason? Hell, I got to use tincture. What do you get out of being ridiculous?

I'm going to take a guess and say he meant the smaller size = more pages, but feel free to get your money's use from your Rogets. Next time you're at the Sally Ann, might I recommend Stunk and White?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
The list of National Book Award finalists was released today. Some stuff there I've been interested in reading (especially Téa Obreht's The Tiger's Wife and Manning Marable's biography of Malcolm X), but none that I actually got around to. Anybody here get around to these? Any books that really stand out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's probably a matter of someone stepping up. Noted toilet-licker Viconia ran it last year and she's since been banned or something.