Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So, I'm finally getting around to reading The Shack by Wm. Paul Young at my mom's suggestion over Christmas. I'm not a very religious guy, but my mom is and I figured I'd do this to humor her. I have no problem with Christian literature if you're a fan of it, but why do they have to be so blunt with their references? I'm 30 pages in and there have already been five or more references to "the story about Jesus" or "his wife is a strong believer, but I have my doubts", or "Papa is her nickname for God".

I don't read much Christian literature, but what I have read is always like this. Is there any popular Christian literature that is a bit more subtle with its undertones, or does it all assume we are morons/10 year olds and hit you with the religion like a lead pipe over and over again? Any critically acclaimed Christian literature out there?

e: Holy poo poo, some critic compared this book to Pilgrim's Progress. No loving way.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU