Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got a number of older hardcovers with more fragile dustcovers. Could someone recommend some plastic outer dustcovers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ColonelCurmudgeon posted:

Brodart, a library archival products company (I think based in Pennsylvania?) is your best bet. They have myriad sizes, use plastics that don't have any corrosive materials in them (thus won't damage the jackets that they are supposed to be protecting), and are adjustible.

They are the only jacket covers we've ever used where protecting books at my shop.

http://www.brodart.ca/supplies/archival-products/book-and-pamphlet/book-jacket-covers/

Thanks, I'll finally be able to get these books into shelves instead of cluttering up every horizontal surface in my room. Oh poo poo, I forgot to build more shelves.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Aventine posted:

I do actually remember a thread in E/N for books which I think was intended to be a sort of self-help topic. Didn't take long for someone to recommend sci-fi.
Going through some rough changes in your life hmmmm? I recommend the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

therattle posted:

How long before some Objectivist recommends "Atlas Shrugged" or "The Fountainhead"?

Speaking from experience you should not read that while depressed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does anyone know how well putting one of those desiccant filled metal trays behind your books on the shelf would work to help keep the humidity low? I know they use them in storage boxes but I'm not sure how well it would work in the relatively low air flow behind the books.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can also buy the Nonesuch Dickens which are really nice looking, illustrated, and not all that expensive.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

the posted:

I was looking at an ebay description for a very old science book (think 1850s), and it mentioned having two black and white "plates." What are those?
Usually means illustrations, could be a bookplate which is glued in to show ownership.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Amazon really needs to introduce the ability to screen out all the OCR'd public domain publishers. I go looking for a used book and have to wade through so much goddamn CreateSpace, Bibliolife, and Lulu poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

Holy crap. You are some sort of wizard. Well done. Is that series any good?
:pervert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chamberk posted:

So, is anyone looking forward to books in the new year?

The three authors that I have my eyes on are all putting out books in 2011, hopefully: Aravind Adiga, Markus Zusak, and Michael Chabon.
Reamde by Neal Stephenson, unfortunately it appears that nothing new has come out about it since early last year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How many superweapons is he going to hamfist into the story, will one of them look like a gigantic handgun?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ulio posted:

Quick question

Where do you guys and gals buy your books? Is there any good online option?
Almost exclusively Amazon. If they don't have it themselves some independent bookstore selling through their marketplace will.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Well, my copy of Crime and Punishment that I bought new off Amazon has what looks like a boot print on it, so you're hosed no matter what you do.
Their return policy is pretty painless. If they gently caress something up it's definitely worth getting a replacement.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

elbow posted:

Have you guys seen this new website called Small Demons? It is basically a database of every place, person, or thing in books. It only started up recently so there aren't a lot of books on there, but it's fun to play around with for a bit.

It's in beta right now but you'll get an invite in under a day if you sign up.
For one who generally scoffs at Web 2.0, I'd say I'm rather intrigued by the idea.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

UnfurledSails posted:

I would actually like to have a Fitocracy like logging site for books. That would be awesome.
Good Reads kind of does that, Of course it also involves arguing with retards, and you never feel like a winner when you do that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

I'd like Good Reads a lot more if every self-published "writer" with a fantasy or horror novel would quit trying to friend me. Yes, I have a passing acquaintance with a few competent writers. No, I won't read your book and recommend it to them.
I don't know any competent writers and they do it anyway.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MoaM posted:

Twilight has fantastical, self-flagellant notions of relationships/sexuality that will probably be looked at in the same vein as Madame Bovary's self-destructive freedom.

Yes, I'm defending Twilight; whatchu gonna do?
Twilight is loving backwards, here and now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pick posted:

Does anyone know the rules for book copyright pre-1978? I want to share some scans from a kid's book from the early 50s (which hasn't been re-printed since) but I know TBB has an anti-:filez: rule.
As long as you're not dumping the whole thing it's fair use. Latawnya the Naughty Horse was posted in it's entirety.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Quad posted:

I'm hoping that since it's comic book paper, (glossy), maybe thats not as porous as normal paper, maybe the smell comes out easier? I dunno.
Try putting it in a ziploc bag with some dryer sheets.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I read the Wikipedia synopsis (full plot synopsis with spoilers etc) and it's nothing like that. But it sure sounds dumb as gently caress. Especially the ending.
WOW, the douchebag Umberto Eco ripoff certainly has outdone himself this time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like somebody at Amazon might have screwed up when they went to discount this book. It's funny because they're still selling the 2005 printing for $21, from which little is likely to have changed since it's a translation whose original author is now deceased.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

:drat: That's perfect.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I miss the Twilight mock thread, we should do that with one of it's bastard offspring. The highlight for me was the poster who made the Bella costume with chestbursting baby.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

AlphaXires posted:

If you haven't heard, it's a science fiction novel for the generation raised on Sega Genesis and oculus rifts. Will update when I'm done with this, as I'm starting it this weekend.
I'll save you some time, it's loving horrible. It's a never ending string of 80's references with no point whatsoever.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

elbow posted:

I disagree, the '80s references are what the world in that story is built out of. It's definitely something to be aware of before you start reading it though, since it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like the '80s and/or video games, you're probably best off giving it a miss. I loved every bit of it.
I enjoy video games, some 80's pop culture, and Neal Stephenson who Cline unsuccessfully tries to ape. I tried to stick with it as long as possible but it was just so dumb and grating.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've got several going. I've been meaning to build some hardwood shelves for years but at the rate I'm going I think I might just pay for someone else to do it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

I actually find it kind of depressing because it's pretty clear why hardcovers fall apart so easily nowadays :(.
A lot of hardcovers still use sewn spine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Currently reading through Dracula, and I just have to say that the luck of Van Helsing in regards to blood transfusions is absurd. Four separate instances Lucy undergoes this procedure, all with positive results. The odds of her being a universal acceptor are approximately 3%. How funny would it have between if, after the first transfusion, she just seized and died?
Blood types wouldn't be distinguished from each other for another three years after publication. In hindsight it is pretty funny.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody is wrong about a lot of things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nicholas Sparks might be getting a divorce :laugh:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The anthropology department has 2 bookshelves full of freebie books to whoever wants them. I've also seen VHS and slides. My deeply buried hoarder instinct start kicking every time I walk by, there's got to be some cool poo poo in there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's always weird when you buy used books and there's an inscription for someone else in there. One I got yesterday was dated 2010, jackass didn't even hang onto it for 5 years, if that long.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

New Twilight mock thread please. Actually since it opened up the door for self published crap to get loads of attenyion it doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A human heart posted:

This forum definitely needs more threads where morons comment on bad books in an unfunny way for 10,000 pages.
You are not fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mcustic posted:

I read a lot of non-fic, and any book that is critical of, say, an Arab country or Islam will have a ton of one star reviews by dudes with names written in arabic script. Works for any other religion/ideology too.
Islam, Biblical Minimalism, Azerbaijan. All really polarizing topics if you read Amazon reviews.