Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I don't know if anyone here can help me, but. I just read a book called The Baker's Boy--picked it up used and was looking for a pulp fantasy "young man finds noble destiny/spoiled princess discovers own strength" kinda read--and I hated it. I bought the sequel at the same time, and I may end up reading through it (because I'm weird like that), but really disliked the fact that the author seems obsessed with the darker/ickier aspects of human sexuality and the incredibly lame, pseuso-Dickensian religious villain. So I'm wondering if anyone here has read the full trilogy and can tell me what happens, because I really don't want to have to read two more full books to find out that the titular character dies unexpectedly, mourned by his love interest, but not before bringing low the blah blah blah. Thanks! And if no one can help, uh, I advise you not to read these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

therattle posted:

You're weird! I read to enjoy. if I don't enjoy, I stop. I have no qualms about not finishing a book I don't like. YMMV. It's like saying "This movie was terrible, but I am gong to watch the sequel anyway!".

This is a fair point, and I am totally guilty. Never really liked Wheel of Time, but read all the ones that were out at the time (up through Winter's Heart, I think it's called) just to see what would happen. Oh, well, I think my partner has helpfully "lost" the sequel for me, so I am free to write the series off.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Earwicker posted:

Don't worry, there's a couple more books after you stopped reading the series, but nothing happens in them.

Shamefully, I lurk the WoT thread here so that I can be assured of that. [sighs] Anyway, bought Drood, going to read it instead of things I know I don't like. One step at a time.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I made it almost all the way though The Fountainhead before I figured out that Ellsworth Toohey wasn't supposed to be the hero. Okay, I was young, but seriously--he's the one who's both self-aware and successful.

I recommend this book over and over again, but if you know that Ayn is probably not your cup of tea and don't actually want to wade through her books (or you already have and know that you aren't a fan), Sewer, Gas, & Electric is a great read that's sort of fondly critical of her.