Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

House Louse posted:

Definitely sounds like a river to me.

I think you're coming at this from the wrong angle, unless you're writing this for someone who you know has heard of this river. It doesn't matter how good the clues are; if it's a totally obscure river, the riddle is basically unsolvable except by brute force or luck. Pick a river everyone's heard of - Dracula or Sherlock Holmes or Circe.
There's a Sherlock Holmes River?

I've read the books so the answer didn't seem obscure to me but I'm not sure how "I can manipulate shadows" and "regained my memories after centuries of amnesia" = river. Am I missing out on an in-joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ah, I see.

But:

DirtyRobot posted:

The form of your clue...
All right, now I'm very confused. My clue? :(

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't that true of a lot of books, though. I was reading The Mandarins recently and I couldn't help but think how much better everybody's life would have been if they had Prozac in the 40s and 50s.

Nearly all of the mystery/suspense novels I've read would resolve fairly quickly if they'd only had cell phones.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Helmacron posted:

Unless you're on the decklage that steeps down yonder from you, the page underneath's width that mm longer or so, then you gotta play some tricky poo poo out because someone, somewhere, thought that inconveniencing you personally with some weird old fashioned book cut was his God Given mission circa 2012. I feel like people who like deckled edging would be the people who appreciate Monty Python for it's timelessness and don't entirely think we should, you know, but that it would be pretty cool if we only used the original Oxford Dictionary for english and here's why:

loving deckling. My friend works at an opportunity shop, or volunteers or whatever, and he's always bringing stuff home and it tends to be great but he has such a huge collection of books at his disposal, we're always trying to think of something to do with such a selection of Crichton and Steele and Smith, and it never occured to me, like, not even as whimsy, until he brought home I think some Eggers book with deckled edging and it hit me, book burning party. Deckled Edging Gave Me The Idea For A Book Burning Party.

Beg pardon?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

Sticky! Let's talk books!

Here's something vaguely discussion-y: Does anyone have any links or sources of really good literary criticism of popular non-Western canon books? I'm talkin' like a really good literary analysis of, like, Harry Potter or something. Preferably not ideological or gender criticism, and especially not anything like those spergy dumb "theories" you see about A Song of Ice and Fire. An example of good stuff would be like Chuck Klosterman's piece on Breaking Bad, but for popular literature rather than tv.

Do you mean something like Love After The Tale of Genji?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

skasion posted:

In Cordwainer Smith’s “Alpha Ralpha Boulevard” there’s a bit where the protagonist and his girlfriend find a magical prediction machine which tells her “protagonist will love you for the rest of your life” and then tells him “you will love girlfriend for about the next twenty minutes”. Cue confusion immediately followed by girlfriend death. In Gary Jennings’ Raptor this gag is repeated pretty much verbatim, but with a magical prediction Jew instead of a computer. Are both these guys ripping off someone earlier, or was Smith the first to come up with the joke?

It shows up in lots of folk tales from different cultures around the world.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

skasion posted:

Got an ATU number?

No, I just read a lot folk/fairy tales.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Awesome!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

So is there a thread for the current RWA implosion? It’s fairly entertaining in a sad way.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/egndb7/romancelandia_romance_writers_of_america_is/

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

I have a stack of random short story collections from used book stores that I keep near my bed. When I get in that not-able-to-read-books zone I pick out any one of them and look at the index for a really short short story to read

Sometimes I go on to read another one, other times not. But it feels nice to read a lil thing anyway.

I'm doing Wodehouse short stories and Max Beerbohm.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

TheAardvark posted:

What was y'all's first "adult" book? I was 8 or 9 when I read Call of the Wild because it was on my grandma's bookshelf. I still kept to more age appropriate/YA stuff mostly for a while but it kinda broke the barrier for reading non-children stuff for me.

Lord of the Flies, age 9 or 10. I thought it was a Boys Adventure book, which, technically...

Would LOTR count? I read that earlier than LOTF.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 1, 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

There are a few series of graphic novel adaptations that are interesting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_Classics
http://www.classicalcomics.com/
https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/Default.asp
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/215175/the-graphic-canon-vol-1-3-by-russ-kick/

I like seeing how artists adapt novels I've already read. The selection from Emerson Hunt's Inferno in the Graphic Canon convinced me to buy two of his books. Lance Tooks adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson's The Bottle Imp put him on my "list of authors whose works I must own in their entirety as soon as I have some money".

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

macabresca posted:

I think Animal Farm is more about that, 1984's always seem to be just about life under stalinism in late forties and fifties. After all there is no purge in this book, only individual people disappearing if they get too cocky

Well, not the fifties.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

macabresca posted:

Stalin died in 1953 so there's a bit of fifties but yeah, I phrased it wrong

Orwell died in January, 1950, so, no.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

cda posted:

So there's a little bit of the January 1950s in it is what you're saying?

"Wow, antibiotics are amazing! Wait, no"

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Children and man-children love books with world-building and/or character-building. Congratulations on growing up?

Why are you referring to women as children?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

Can anyone recommend a small business book store with a robust website I could use to order books from instead of Amazon? If not, I'd settle for an affiliate amazon link. In the South, maybe New Orleans or Mobile, would be ideal, but otherwise anywhere in the USA is fine. I already googled my area and the only private book store I know of doesn't have a web site. I asked my irl friends and we've all just bought books on Amazon for decades, oops.

https://www.indiebound.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Are goon translations ever considered for Book of the Month status? Because
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972041