Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Doom Goon posted:

Aricle about Dickens's punch and other drinks, including a reference to a The Charles Dickens Cookbook.

Ah yes, Dickens loves to describe eating/drinking: "in The Pickwick Papers (1835-6) there are 35 breakfasts, 32 dinners, 10 luncheons, and 249 separate references to drink (albeit, not all of it alcoholic)"

I've been on a quest to make different Victorian/Dickensian historical drinks for the last few Christmas holidays. I have not been disappointed! Hot rum punch is definitely a fine way to kick back.

I don't know if I made it wrong, but "egg flip" turned out sort of nasty. Wassail is a similarly acquired taste...

The Redwood series by Brian Jacques has a lot of long, detailed, delicious sounding descriptions of feasts and food items.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

What's the the goon negativity towards Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

I've 40-pages deep and it seems okay? :smith:

I was unaware of this negativity. I really enjoyed that book, but it might have had something to do with the time in my life when I read it (freshman year of college).