Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

therattle posted:

Yes, can you imagine if they made cuts to Radio 4? People would be marching in the streets politely, waving grammatically-correct placards, and registering their objections in the strongest possible terms (without resorting to foul language).
Actually, they would register their protest without hesitation or repetition and sung to the tune of an entirely different complaint. And then they'd drive the minister to Mornington Crescent and stick his head under a tube train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
Stephen King and Neil Gaiman do it whenever they write a foreword or afterword - it's usually where they were when they wrote it and when it was finished. King occasionally does it for his novels.

No idea why, maybe they want people to know that they have enough money not to have write a 600 page novel at their kitchen table?

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

therattle posted:

Sorry, you used "then" twice there. One point for me!

Nope, just the once. False challenge!! Point to me and my go.

On the other hand, this may count as a deviation and so we both lose. Sandi Toksvig takes the round.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred

Fox_Spy posted:

I'm trying to remember a book series I read when I was a kid, so, late 80s to early 90s I think. The main character was in the military or something similar and had two right hands I think it was. Since he lost his left hand in bottle and all they had to give him to replace was a right hand. At one point in a book I think that got replaced with a chicken foot or something. Sorry this is vague but it's been 15-20 years. I know it's definitely sci-fi and the main character went from planet to planet. I remember the author made a point of mentioning that he could shake his own hand since he two right hands. I want to go back and reread some of these books, but I can't remember the name of the series or the author. Although I suspect I'm going to find that they haven't held up so well over time.

Harry Harrison's Bill, The Galactic Hero series

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
A lot of writers from that time did it. I believe it's so that the reader will take it as though it's a memoir and anyone reading it at the time would know who the characters are and how scandalous their involvement in the story would be.

If you don't like it, think of them as Mr X, Ms Y and so on. From E/N.