Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Juanito posted:

Now I generally use any random piece of paper that I can find as a bookmark.

Until I got my kindle, I used the sales receipt.

Gravy Jones posted:

The bookmark icon on my Sony Reader is a folded over corner.

But before I went digital sure, I always kept my place that way.

You philistine. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

therattle posted:

leave the bookmark where it was and continue reading from there? Doesn't seem too tricky.

When I was in grade school and the teacher would read to us, I always thought she moved the bookmark to the end of where she meant to read. It confused the hell out of me when she got far enough in the book to move it earlier than she started.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Hughmoris posted:

I need help identifying a story.

There's a thread for that, which I can't blame you for not noticing because it's fallen to the middle of page 2. :cheers:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Puppet Master posted:

How would you guys feel about a Drama megathread of sorts?

For a second there I thought you were looking for E/N.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Van Dis posted:

This forum has terrible taste but here goes nothing.

I think it only appears that way. What people are going to discuss on an internet forum they use for recreation is going to give a skewed impression, because who the hell wants to talk about the poo poo they read in lit class when they get home?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

McCaine posted:

Are you nuts? If everything weren't swamped with 50 page bullshit about bad fantasy novels people could perhaps discuss something actually worthwhile?

Well why are we swamped with such things? I imagine it's mighty discouraging when you're looking to discuss War & Peace and only get a couple replies while the grrm thread is clocking a couple hundred a day. Especially when those replies are poo poo posting trolls. People have different tastes, and it's not surprising that there are popular convergence points like grrm.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Mr. Fun posted:

What is this supposed to mean?

Pretty much this:

Grum posted:

there's no real way to explain TBB's popular topics without acknowledging that SA is primarily a forum full of nerds

And nerds like stuff like grrm.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
People need to read the books of the month and post in those threads.

Just sayin'. :toughguy:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's all the big summer of Proust and GRRRMMM reread threads' faults.

One of the books (there's two this month!) is a really short but awesome read. I finished it in a day, and I read slow. Plus I hear it's online: http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bashiri/BlindOwl/blindowl.html

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Goodreads is nice, but it seems to work best for individuals. The communities are a little difficult to manage. Or maybe I'm just anti-social.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

deety posted:

a bookseller stocking themselves through the swap

That sounds like a really lovely thing to do, making money off it. On top of never giving anything back.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I need ideas for the book of the month poll I'm planning on posting tomorrow, por favor.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

7 y.o. bitch posted:

The Good Soldier Svejk

There has to be a freebie version somewhere, someone find it.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the best way to read Gravity's Rainbow for the first time is just to give up on trying to make sense of it and let it wash over you. Just keep swimming!

That's how I tackled it. Also it helps to cast John Ritter as Slothrop.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Checkered Slacks posted:

Is there a list somewhere of all the previous books of the month from the book club?

I quit posting ALL of them in the monthly post because it was just getting too long, but for the people without archives, here's the full list (2009 and the year so far are in the current post):
2006:
May: "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift.
June: "Slaughterhouse 5" by Kurt Vonnegut.
July: "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote
August: "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
September: "The Stranger" by Albert Camus
October: "Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman", By Richard Feynman
November: "Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger
December: "The Importance of Being Earnest" (Wilde) and "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" (Marquez)
2007:
January: "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
February: "The Plague" by Albert Camus
March: "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck
April: "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami
May: "Notes from Underground" By Fyodor Dostoyevsky
June: "Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco
July/August: "Infinte Jest" by David Foster Wallace
September: "Love in the time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
October: "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski
November: "The Satanic Verses" by Salman Rushdie
December: "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson
2008:
January: "Blindness" by Jose Saramago
Febuary: "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut
March: "Lolita", by Vladimir Nabokov
April: "Babbit" by Sinclair Lewis/"The Windup Bird Chronicle" by Haruki Murakami
May: "Post Office", by Charles Bukowski
June/July: "Mein Kampf", by Adolf Hitler
July: "The Prince", by Niccolò Machiavelli
August: "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole
September: "VALIS", by Philip K. Dick
October/November: Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid
December: The Hound of the Baskervilles

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
If you're not reading this month's book, you're missing out.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I've seen it a couple times. Well, once really, because the other time was an actual "signing", but that was a local genre author. The other time was some nicely dressed young man handing me a flier for his book, power-sell style. Not too common I suppose, but it does happen.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Need some book of the month suggestions. So far I've got Ragged Dick and Super Fetus, so weird titles I guess.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

maxnmona posted:

Lick around the Outside of my Anus and also on the Inside of my Anus by Nietzsche

Oh come on, that's Wittgenstein.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Machine posted:

Carrie - Stephen King
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
Children of Dune - Frank Herbert
The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
Perdido Street Station - China Miéville

Haven't read the Diamond Age, but Perdido was pretty lame. Carrie will make a nice appetizer, and Cuckoo's Nest is loving brilliant. Swap it with Perdido if you want to save the best for last.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Parker Lewis posted:

What would you do?

The past couple years I've been slotting in other books to avoid reading a series all in one go.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
My copy of the Communist Manifesto is 75% prefaces from various editions.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Ok, what sort of theme should I go for in the poll for next month? I'm trying to think of stuff, and I like that Booker list thing.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Yeah, people always bitch about all the threads being grrm and sci-fi, but no one ever makes a thread for "real" literature. Well, one that's serious and doesn't belong in EW.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Underflow posted:

If your target author is of the very senior kind, you could do what Martin Amis did; take a third (hardcover) book along to be signed "To my dear, dear friend Keith Richards and all the stories we shouldn't tell". Wait a few years till both are dead and hit eBay.

Keith Richards died years ago, but he's never gonna stop rockin'.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ornamented Death posted:

That said, I silently judge people that bring paperbacks (unless paperback is the only edition) because I'm kind of a dick.

The only time I've ever gotten something signed by the author it was a paperback. :mad: But it was a sorta-local's genre novel and the guy just happened to be there. (The book was decent, but nothing spectacular.)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Underflow posted:

That li'l bitch with the acid tongue has something going right now at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3348309, no? Or isn't that what this is about?

No, there was a "Book Barn Hall of Fame" awhile ago. I'll try to find and resurrect it when I get some time. (Hopefully soonish.)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Well, here it is (archives required). Looks like it was a reaction to the rash of recommendation threads, and we've got a "megathread" for those now.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dr Scoofles posted:

Is this subforum the place for literary student chat

We could use more of that, so yes.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

7 y.o. bitch posted:

you could always use the HIGH LEVEL thread, thats where i'll be postin bout whatev im reading for classes

I'm seriously considering putting a "grammar and punctuation counts" clause in the rules. Seriously. :colbert:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I liked that black authors idea. Off the top of my head, I want to put The Color Purple and The Invisible Man by Ellison on the poll, as well as something by Richard Wright. So that leaves two nominations open, suggest away.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Bukowski owns, and if you don't think so you're a horrible and elitist dork. :colbert:

Ok I've never read his poetry, but his novels are awesome drunkass rambling fun.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Bukowski was the Tucker Max of his generation, only he didn't suck.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
So what sort of theme should we have for BotM nominations for January?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
How about mentally unbalanced poets? And yeah, I'd need suggestions because honestly poetry really isn't my thing.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I figure Byron's a given, but what do I know?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

car dance posted:

Nevermind, actually found the right thread to ask this in.

Dammit, now I gotta know.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Wanted to call attention to some new (to TBB) thread tags: , and separate and tags. So if you were refraining from posting cuz there wasn't a tag appropriate hopefully there's a little less pressure now! :cheers:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I like this poem idea, and yeah you definitely don't want me picking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

I just can't get myself to pre-order something that will be shipped instantly.