Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
atxweirdo
Jul 22, 2009

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it is like to be a delivery driver for a pizza company. I am considering a Job a one and would like to know if it is worth it and what does the job usually entail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

you deliver pizzas

windex and beer
Apr 9, 2007
49er Fanatic

camuk19 posted:

you deliver pizzas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza_delivery

Wikipedia posted:

People also place fake orders and have the pizza delivered to their home to rob the pizza delivery person. They may end up in the hospital or dead.

windex and beer fucked around with this message at Mar 2, 2010 around 22:02

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

^^Losing a tail was the best day I ever had on that job.

Bring a mapbook and a flashlight.

I did it for four months and found it an incredibly chill job. I drove pizzas around town while listening to NPR all day. And with all the starting and stopping you'll be doing, taking it easy when driving around will save you money.

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Well, it all begins when you stand around the pizza place waiting for an order that needs to be delivered. If you are a cool guy, you may help make the pizza, take orders, or take pizzas out of the oven.

Once the pizza is out of the oven, and in a box, it's time to deliver the pizza! Many pizza places will provide you with a heated bag in which to place the pizza during transportation. Place the pizza in the bag, but NOT before remembering the address on the sticker on the pizza box. Some pizza places will even give you a seperate sticker with the address on it! Don't lose this sticker, or else you will have to look back on the box for the address.

Now it's time to go!!!!!
Put the pizza, any other side items they ordered, the credit card slip (if they paid with a credit card) and yourself, into a vehicle. Start the vehicle. Drive to the destination. Do NOT drive to a place that is NOT where the pizza needs to be delivered.

Once you arrive at the destination, exit your car and walk to the front door.
WARNING: SOME PEOPLE MAY ASK YOU GO TO A SIDE DOOR, OR EVEN THE BACK DOOR. DOUBLE CHECK THIS BEFORE GOING TO THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!!!!
Ring the bell. If a bell is not present, try knocking. If a bell is present, but nobody answers, try knocking also.
If nobody answers after a few minutes, knock again, and louder this time.
If nobody answers now, you may try calling the people who placed the order if you have, in your possession, a cellular telephone. If you do not have a cellular telephone or do not want to call them, take the pizza back to the store.

If they do answer, give them the pizza and any side items. If they paid with a credit card, give them the credit card slip, and a pen, and ask them to sign.
WARNING: DO NOT GIVE THEM A CRAYON OR A MAGIC MARKER, AS THOSE ARE NOT GOOD FOR SIGNING CREDIT CARD SLIPS!!!!!!!!

If they paid with cash, ask them for an amount of money equal to, or greater than, the cost of the pizza and side items.
WARNING: THE CUSTOMER MAY TELL YOU TO KEEP THE CHANGE, OR GIVE YOU EXTRA MONEY!!!!! THIS IS CALLED A TIP!!!! IT IS YOUR'S!!! IT'S FREE MONEY!!!!!

Now you can drive back to the pizza shop! HOORAY! Now you know about being a pizza delivery driver.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.

Would it be a good idea to have a CCW while delivering? Just in case?

webster876
Aug 4, 2007

Anony Mouse posted:

Would it be a good idea to have a CCW while delivering? Just in case?

Most, if not all, large chains prohibit carrying weapons. One Domino's employee was even FIRED for KILLING a robber with a GUN during a PIZZA delivery.

Johnny Walker
Jun 14, 2005

I've got a home for
Bloggers Let's exchange
ideas,stories and photos
with friendly writers
and editors.

It is an occupation full of mystery, romance, and intrigue.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Excellent. The Arkham Asylum
shower cam is operational.

It also makes your car permanently smell like pizza.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

duz posted:

It's like smoking cigarettes. The AC fills my car with a light garlic odor.

TipTow
Mar 24, 2006
If I'm posting, tell me to lurk more.

Radd McCool posted:

I did it for four months and found it an incredibly chill job. I drove pizzas around town while listening to NPR all day. And with all the starting and stopping you'll be doing, taking it easy when driving around will save you money.

webster876 posted:

Well, it all begins when you stand around the pizza place waiting for an order that needs to be delivered. If you are a cool guy, you may help make the pizza, take orders, or take pizzas out of the oven.

Once the pizza is out of the oven, and in a box, it's time to deliver the pizza! Many pizza places will provide you with a heated bag in which to place the pizza during transportation. Place the pizza in the bag, but NOT before remembering the address on the sticker on the pizza box. Some pizza places will even give you a seperate sticker with the address on it! Don't lose this sticker, or else you will have to look back on the box for the address.

Now it's time to go!!!!!
Put the pizza, any other side items they ordered, the credit card slip (if they paid with a credit card) and yourself, into a vehicle. Start the vehicle. Drive to the destination. Do NOT drive to a place that is NOT where the pizza needs to be delivered.

Once you arrive at the destination, exit your car and walk to the front door.
WARNING: SOME PEOPLE MAY ASK YOU GO TO A SIDE DOOR, OR EVEN THE BACK DOOR. DOUBLE CHECK THIS BEFORE GOING TO THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!!!!
Ring the bell. If a bell is not present, try knocking. If a bell is present, but nobody answers, try knocking also.
If nobody answers after a few minutes, knock again, and louder this time.
If nobody answers now, you may try calling the people who placed the order if you have, in your possession, a cellular telephone. If you do not have a cellular telephone or do not want to call them, take the pizza back to the store.

If they do answer, give them the pizza and any side items. If they paid with a credit card, give them the credit card slip, and a pen, and ask them to sign.
WARNING: DO NOT GIVE THEM A CRAYON OR A MAGIC MARKER, AS THOSE ARE NOT GOOD FOR SIGNING CREDIT CARD SLIPS!!!!!!!!

If they paid with cash, ask them for an amount of money equal to, or greater than, the cost of the pizza and side items.
WARNING: THE CUSTOMER MAY TELL YOU TO KEEP THE CHANGE, OR GIVE YOU EXTRA MONEY!!!!! THIS IS CALLED A TIP!!!! IT IS YOUR'S!!! IT'S FREE MONEY!!!!!

Now you can drive back to the pizza shop! HOORAY! Now you know about being a pizza delivery driver.

duz posted:

These three things are all true, and are pretty much all you need to know about being a pizza delivery guy.

Also, I hope you like weed! All your co-workers, and possibly/probably even your manager, will be high on the clock. If you're lucky, they'll smoke you out in the store.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

the hours suck, the job is terrible, the pay is terrible and people are assholes. Sometimes it is easier to tip the customer than to bother giving them exact change.

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

It's not something you are going to want to make a career out of but the tips are probably pretty big for little work so I say do it.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good

I was a pizza delivery driver for a while...tips were good and driving around all night was chill and fun, but you occasionally work with a bunch of scummy, shady dudes, and your managers might be assholes, or might take advantage of you in some way, and I started to get fat from eating so much pizza and it turned me, temporarily, from a no drinking/drugs kind of guy into a pothead. just be careful.

Noby Goatse Boy
Mar 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

I did it part time for a while. It's only worth during rush hours and if you have a new car. It depends also a lot the type of area you're delivering in. It was chill for me when I did it but I could imagine it sucking hard so dunno.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

I work for a smaller place where we make all of our menu items from scratch (we also do pasta, sandwiches, it's a trattoria). I am first and foremost a delivery driver, but any time I am not actively delivering a pizza I fill pretty much any holes we have that night. I do dishes, I bus tables, I cook. I really like my job, but it's only because the people are good and the pay is good. I only make 8 dollars an hour, but I get 10% commission and my average tip is around 5-6 dollars (we are a nicer place and our specialty pizzas start at around 20 dollars)

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

It's the most fun job I've ever had.

If you're using your own car, get a delivery car that's not your personal car. You'll rack up miles quick. It will also smell like pizza. This isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I recommend getting a bitchin' sound system too. Air drums while driving and having a stack of pizzas as a passenger is something not everyone gets to enjoy.

I've never been robbed and I worked in Vallejo. If the situation arises, just hand over the money and let the business take care of it. The pizza joint can handle a $60 theft.

You may have police immunity. Don't violate the code, but, they're more likely to look the other way. Give them a discount when they come in.
Don't slam on the breaks, take dips too fast or turn too hard. It makes the pizza flat on one side and the toppings slide off.

Cash tips = Virtually tax free. Don't whine about not getting tipped though. Just do the job. Some of the laziest tippers made up for it down the road.

Have a cell phone.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)

if the place you work for has a deal with a local hotel try to get in good with the people working the desk/ bellmen shifts

they usually give you a really good tip

Dirp
May 16, 2007

It's the easiest job ever. It's like getting paid to go on burn rides.

I work at Pizza Hutt so I get paid minimum wage + whatever I clear in tips. This usually averages me at least 20 bucks an hour. I work in a small town so we close pretty early so I'm never there exceptionally late. It would be alot worse in a college town where they're open to 3am though.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

I delivered for a while after high school. It was fun most of the time since my coworkers were cool and I pretty much got paid to drive around listening to music and occasionally run personal errands.

This was pre-9/11 though, so I remember complaining with my fellow drivers about how $1.50 gas was digging into our profits. I can only imagine how much worse it is today, especially when gas gets back up to $3-4/gallon.

Another downside is that the job destroys the poo poo out of your car and you eventually become bitter at the people who don't tip because they think the delivery charge goes to you instead of the store.

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2010 around 04:22

LetterboxRock
Oct 22, 2005
Check out my crappy band!

nine years on the "job."

my advice is DO NOT work for a big chain. find a local pizzeria with GOOD FOOD THAT YOU ENJOY staffed by COOL PEOPLE and you will have a good time and make money.

i live in north jersey, land of 1,000,000 pizzerias. currently i work for a pizzeria one block away from a state college. the food is pretty good and very cheap i will take upwards of 20-30 deliveries a night to the dorms at an average of one dollar per tip and 5-10 deliveries around town for an average of $3 a tip. i also make $6 an hour and spend $10 on gas per shift. that means i take home an average of $75-100 per shift, working 5-11, or around 13-17 an hour.

i used to work at a more upscale pizzeria. the food was excellent and very expensive. average order being around $40 bucks for 2 dinners. i would take deliveries upwards of 7-10 miles away, three towns over. most people tipped 4-5 bucks. i would make around 80-120 for the all day (11-11) shift or 50-60 for the night (5-11) shift, plus one dollar per delivery i took which more than covered my gas and $5 an hour for an average of 13-17 an hour.

so basically both of those situations are ideal- high volume cheap food with low tips or long drives with expensive food and big tips.

serious advice- i drive a stick shift four cylander car with excellent gas mileage. you should do the same. i've seen people drive SUVs and huge trucks and wonder why they dont make as much money as i do.

also must echo the get a good sound system advice. i am on my 5th ipod in five years from hours and hours of daily use and i wouldnt have it any other way.

pizza!

CurbStomp
Jul 23, 2008

I got lucky...my boss will work with my class schedule, I go to school in a pretty affluent area, and I make a pretty decent age on top of the tips. As for tips, I have made everything from $140 for 6 and a half hours of work all the way down to 20 bucks for three...all depends. And your car will smell like pizza. Constantly.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Honestly, if I could come across a cheap enough, reliable 4-cylinder car, I'd get a job delivering pizzas on weekend nights.

I could use an extra $100+ per weekend. Who couldn't?

False Noses
Feb 24, 2007

THAT IS NOT MY COW!

I never did it, but my brother did it for YEARS with Domino's. He liked it decently well. They kept a poo poo list of all the houses that never, ever tipped and hosed with their food, so remember to always tip your delivery guy.

The thing that really sucked about the job was that it was horrible on his car. The rigors of driving it so much every single day caused a lot of mechanical problems that ended up being really expensive to fix over time. His car wasn't all that hot to begin with, but unless you've got a really good, reliable car or the company provides a car for you (very unlikely) you're probably looking at some major wear and tear on your vehicle. Most of his money came from tips and most of that money went to car maintenance/gas. He wasn't really able to save a whole hell of a lot until he switched over to working in the kitchen. But for a summer job or something where you car won't have to keep up with those kinds of rigors for too long, it would be a pretty sweet gig. His car seriously never stopped smelling like pizza, though. Even years after he'd stopped working for Domino's altogether, his car STILL reeked.

My brother never had a problem with people trying to rob him. A hooker tried to get some business from him, but that was pretty much the worst thing that happened. Maybe he was lucky, I don't know, but since there's way more delivery drivers who DON'T get maimed than those that do, you'll probably be okay. We lived in a pretty ghetto-rear end city (Tampa, FL) so I guess unless you're delivering to Stabby Street in ThugVille, Shank County, you'll probably be okay.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

I delivered pizzas for a summer for Double Dave's (small Texas chain) once when home from college. It was a pretty good summer job. I lived out in the suburbs so robbery wasn't much of a concern and the people who worked there were all really laid back. When I wasn't driving around I was answering phones to take orders, sweeping up, or folding pizza boxes. If you had a closing shift it was you, a manager, and one other driver closing. Your jobs were to mop up the store (this place was a restaurant, big chains like Domino's won't have this part), clean up the dishes that the dish washer didn't get to, take out the trash and all that. You could always tell who was closing because you'd see him in the back helping the dish washer whenever he got a chance.

It was a decent job that paid well through tips. I learned the area really well by about a month in, but was getting lost the first week or two. Experience with other places may vary.

Pedro_The_Noun
Nov 8, 2009

Comrayn posted:

It was a decent job that paid well through tips. I learned the area really well by about a month in, but was getting lost the first week or two. Experience with other places may vary.

Did you work at the Duval location in ATX? That's exactly how that one worked.

I delivered pizzas for about a year at a Double Dave's like the person above, and it was pretty easy. As far as stress free jobs are concerned, it's not too bad. Being in a college city tips were kind of hit or miss. You would go through points where you would get 80 in tips, and then more frequent points where you would would walk out with under 10 dollars in tips, if that. That was kind of annoying at times. Otherwise there wasn't too much stress and if you could remember directions fairly well, it was a loving breeze. Jump in the car, turn on the music, coast to your destination, do the same on the way back, and repeat.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

I actually make pretty decent money delivering pizza (mechanical engineering graduate looking for "real" work). I work 6 days a week, 5-7 hours a day and pull in around $17-18/hour. It helps to have a GPS/phone with GPS when you're first starting out, but after awhile you will get really familiar with the area. Often times you can just see the address and know who you are delivering to.

As time goes on, if you're a friendly person (and you're not working for some cheap-rear end pizza joint) the tips will get better and better.

Also, if you deliver to bars, be prepared for a lot of "HEY THAT'S MY PIZZA LOL" people that think they're hilarious

The only thing I don't like is that my boss only pays me $5 a day to cover gas and wear-and-tear. A complete ripoff in my eyes, since I use about $7-10 dollars of gas on a given night, wear-and-tear excluded.

illcendiary fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2010 around 06:32

Gullous
Jun 24, 2005

Ready to RACE

illcendiary posted:

I actually make pretty decent money delivering pizza (mechanical engineering graduate looking for "real" work)

Hey there mech.e buddy

I've only applied. My brother used to work for Alfy's until the owner left town owing everyone a paycheck. So watch out for sketchy owners I guess.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Gullous posted:

Hey there mech.e buddy

I've only applied. My brother used to work for Alfy's until the owner left town owing everyone a paycheck. So watch out for sketchy owners I guess.

Keep your head up bro. If you're a diligent driver the job will end up paying decently well. And the economy will turn around for us eventually.

Could be worse...we could be pizza drivers with BAs in English .

Gullous
Jun 24, 2005

Ready to RACE

illcendiary posted:

Keep your head up bro. If you're a diligent driver the job will end up paying decently well. And the economy will turn around for us eventually.

Haha yea, I'm not too sad. It'll be 40 years until I have this much freedom again. It is hard to keep applying to jobs though. Nobody emails me back! 70 apps out, one no response.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gullous posted:

Hey there mech.e buddy

Sup WSU goon Glad my future degree will be put to good use.

I'm actually considering this too, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to ruin my car. It sounds like a decent job, I just have a car that's broken down a few times that I don't want to damage any more.

Boris Niveus
Jul 22, 2009

I'll get my stupid rope. I'll get it. This is a rope right here.

My housemate/friend/best man, worked his way up the ladder from to supervisor by being a a patsy (and the only semi intelligent member of staff over 18). Everything he owned soon accumulated a smell like sour pizza dough and condiments, especially his clothes, room and car, and especially when it is hot or humid. There is constantly barely eaten, stale pizza still in its box in the fridge, terrible types like fetta cheese and grass that neither me nor my fiancee will touch so it stays there until it gets thrown out.

But this is all bad end of the spectrum sort of thing. Everyone else I know who did pizza delivery for a short time considered it to be a good way to make some cash for minimal effort. E: But some still collected the dough smell.

Boris Niveus fucked around with this message at Mar 3, 2010 around 11:39

Zeromus
Dec 10, 2004

illcendiary posted:

haha, this is so funny because it's exactly what my older brother does. I really don't understand why he doesn't try to find a better job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Also, I would highly recommend a GPS. Not so much for directions to the street, but at least the one I have (Garmin Nuvi) tells me where on the street the house is which is super nice for night shifts in a college town where house numbers are apparently optional.