Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I made the mistake of reading his "About" page on Youtube:

"Dedicated to aviation related items, arbitrary nonsensical rants, musical interests, smack-talking progressives, severe weather dreams, and anything I find to be ripe for parody. Specifically, govt/political half truths & gorilla dust."

I was not surprised.

I bet he enjoys quality time with a large circle of caring friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Very disheartening info about Air Asia.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/20/air-asia-crash-plane-climbed-rapidly

quote:

An AirAsia plane that crashed last month with 162 people on board was climbing at an abnormally rapid rate, then plunged and disappeared from radar, Indonesia’s transport minister has said.

Ignasius Jonan told parliament that radar data showed the Airbus A320 was climbing at about 6,000ft a minute before it disappeared on 28 December. “It is not normal to climb like that, it’s very rare for commercial planes, which normally climb just 1,000 to 2,000ft per minute,” he said. “It can only be done by a fighter jet.”

He did not say what was thought to have caused the plane to climb so rapidly.

In their last contact with air-traffic controllers, the pilots of AirAsia Flight 8501 asked to climb from 32,000ft to 38,000ft to avoid threatening clouds, but were denied permission because of heavy air traffic. Four minutes later the plane disappeared. No distress signal was received.

An excessively rapid ascent is likely to cause a plane to go into an aerodynamic stall. In 2009, an Air France Airbus A330 disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean while flying from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. Investigators were able to determine from the jet’s black boxes that the plane began a steep climb and then went into a stall from which the pilots were unable to recover.

An Airbus spokesman said it was too early to comment on possible similarities between the two crashes.

Survey ships have located at least nine big objects, including the AirAsia jet’s fuselage and tail, in the Java Sea. The plane’s black boxes – the cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder – have been recovered but are still being analysed.

The plane was en route from Surabaya, Indonesia’s second-largest city, to Singapore. Fifty-one bodies have been recovered so far. Rough sea conditions have repeatedly prevented divers from reaching the wreckage.

Another pilot confused by a computer which was confused by weather impeded sensors will be worse than terrorism. There are of course other possibilities, it could have been a desperate zoom climb as they entered the cell, uncommanded climb/loss of control in severe updrafts, unintentional but commanded climb during severe turbulence etc etc.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
"An Airbus spokesman said it was too early to comment on possible similarities between the two crashes."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ola posted:

I hope future aviation incidents happen far away from him.

I hope one happens directly on top of him.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Inacio posted:

What is he SMOKING?
What's going on, 95, you alright?

This loving guy, seriously

Jealous Cow posted:

Stop blustering me, wind!

I'm witnessing something!

Imagine this guy in the airline seat next to you just doing running commentary on every aspect of the flight

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ctishman posted:

Delta 777 ATL-NRT makes a fuel dump, emergency landing and hilarious commentary. Seriously, if anything can generate a new thread title, it's this dude's voiceover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQB37_9VmNE

I actually work that aircraft on a regular basis! We were questioning a trainee on where RJAA was just a couple of days ago when they were coming through.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Locator posted:

I would think it's up to the airport authority, like most other things, but I'm sure the FAA could mandate it. I was recently at Sky Harbor picking up a family member, and as I got there somewhat early, I wandered up to the top of the parking garage to watch airplanes. One of the things I noticed, because it has been years since I've been there watching airplanes, so it stood out as different - there is a line of red lights that come on at the edge of every runway, across every taxiway, when there is an aircraft on short final, or on a takeoff roll. These lights go off as soon as the aircraft on the runway passes the taxiway. I assume that this is the same system referred to, and I though it was pretty neat.

Based on how consistent it looked from the garage, and the fact that each crossing/taxiway shut off independently as the runway cleared, I assume that it's all automated.

They are indeed automated! Pilots observing the "STOP" lights will disregard ATC instructions to proceed onto a runway. Though, the absence of the stop lights is not a clearance to cross/enter the runway. The lights go off a little early, to allow anticipating separation between airplanes on the runway.

Here's a neat video:

Runway Status Lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLKLd7kGSVA

Generally, the airport authority is responsible for lighting on the runways/taxiways. The FAA is responsible for the approach lighting systems.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 20, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

Very disheartening info about Air Asia.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/20/air-asia-crash-plane-climbed-rapidly

Another pilot confused by a computer which was confused by weather impeded sensors will be worse than terrorism. There are of course other possibilities, it could have been a desperate zoom climb as they entered the cell, uncommanded climb/loss of control in severe updrafts, unintentional but commanded climb during severe turbulence etc etc.

A crazy ascent like that -- what are the chances of the elevator getting stuck in a position that would cause it? Surely if it was as simple as the pilots pulling up into a stall, there would have been tons of warnings going off and telling the pilots to back off. Or maybe even pushing the yoke forwards automatically -- I don't know what sort of safety features are in these planes.

Also lol @ “[a 6,000 ft/min climb] can only be done by a fighter jet.” We've all seen the video of the empty 777 at the air show :krad:

(and those posts yesterday about the Streak Eagle being able to climb at a theoretical 87,000 feet per minute)

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm witnessing something!

Imagine this guy in the airline seat next to you just doing running commentary on every aspect of the flight

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm guessing it had to have been a mechanical failure. Getting 6k feet/minute climb at cruising altitude doesn't even seem possible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

revmoo posted:

I'm guessing it had to have been a mechanical failure. Getting 6k feet/minute climb at cruising altitude doesn't even seem possible.

Sustained obviously not but thats "only" a 60 knot vertical component.

Severe thunderstorms have updrafts about that speed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

A crazy ascent like that -- what are the chances of the elevator getting stuck in a position that would cause it?

An elevator trim runaway is certainly possible, but safe money is still on thunderstorm penetration. You really can't underestimate a strong thunderstorm. They're serious loving business.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

A crazy ascent like that -- what are the chances of the elevator getting stuck in a position that would cause it? Surely if it was as simple as the pilots pulling up into a stall, there would have been tons of warnings going off and telling the pilots to back off. Or maybe even pushing the yoke forwards automatically -- I don't know what sort of safety features are in these planes.

Also lol @ “[a 6,000 ft/min climb] can only be done by a fighter jet.” We've all seen the video of the empty 777 at the air show :krad:

At low level, sure. But certainly not at 30000+ feet.

I have read comments from experts which said that judging from pictures of the debris the aircraft hit the water at a very low forward speed, and that it took around 3 minutes from cruise altitude to the water. We're almost certainly looking at a repeat of AF447.

Regarding trim runaway: remember that the stab on the Air France flight was also trimmed fully up due to nose up input of the pilot flying. As a result of this the aircraft reached over 40 degrees AOA, and fell from FL380 in 3.5 minutes. The A320 and A330 share the same basic control system logic.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
"An Airbus spokesman said it was too early to comment on possible similarities between the two crashes."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes you've posted that twice. Are you saying they're wrong? They haven't even finished analyzing the recorders yet, so anything at this point is pure speculation, and a multibillion dollar company would have to be staffed by complete idiots to speculate, in public, without grounds on the nature of a disaster that could have massive implications for their worldwide fleet and their stock price.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
How far does this conspiracy go? :tinfoil:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yes you've posted that twice. Are you saying they're wrong? They haven't even finished analyzing the recorders yet, so anything at this point is pure speculation, and a multibillion dollar company would have to be staffed by complete idiots to speculate, in public, without grounds on the nature of a disaster that could have massive implications for their worldwide fleet and their stock price.

They haven't even finished analyzing the recorders yet, so anything at this point is pure speculation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh?

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Are you surprised that Airbus is not saying anything until they have actual data one way or another? Yes they are going to be guarded about saying anything that suggests the crashes might be related to a common design flaw, but they're perfectly within their rights to behave the way they are right now.

It's like you're pointing at some military spokesman saying "I can neither confirm nor deny our involvement in that area" as some amazing earth-shattering gotcha evidence of evildoing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And even if it was the exact same thing it wasn't a design flaw per se, pilots that don't understand airplanes are perfectly capable of stalling Q400s into the ground or 777s into seawalls.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Huh?

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Are you surprised that Airbus is not saying anything until they have actual data one way or another? Yes they are going to be guarded about saying anything that suggests the crashes might be related to a common design flaw, but they're perfectly within their rights to behave the way they are right now.

It's like you're pointing at some military spokesman saying "I can neither confirm nor deny our involvement in that area" as some amazing earth-shattering gotcha evidence of evildoing.

I'm not surprised that Airbus is tight-lipped with speculation that may bring liability on themselves. I am surprised that people here would say anything is "almost certain" based on such uninformed speculation. That's so stupid as to be tantamount to the quality of that spotter's observations of the Delta emergency return. OH MY LORD AIR ASIA 8501, WHAT ARE YOU CLIMBING? STOP THAT BLUSTERING!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, I see. I entirely misinterpreted your posts and thought you were trying to bring attention to that line as like a "hahaa look at what this idiot said!" kind of thing, not emphasizing that people should pay attention to it.

I agree with you.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Jesus, 400-foot takeoff roll. That thing goes like the proverbial sexually assaulted simian.

Kinda surprised Boeing hasn't hot-rodded another one to take the records back. Surely the engines have been improved in 40 years. Though I guess all the existing F-15 fighters are spoken for and nobody wants to lean on 'em too hard outside combat. But they're still making the Mudhen, just rip out the backseat and pull off the CFTs (are they the removable version offered for the C-model, or are they more built-in?) Though with 11-odd thousand pounds more thrust, maybe they can leave the tanks on and just tape over the bomb racks for aero.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Delivery McGee posted:

Jesus, 400-foot takeoff roll. That thing goes like the proverbial sexually assaulted simian.

Feh, Credible Sport did it it under half that length.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well if we're allowing bullshit like that in our competition, I submit this for the time-to-climb record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZV464z9g8

It accelerates at 100g and reaches 30,000 meters in under 15 seconds.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Delivery McGee posted:

Kinda surprised Boeing hasn't hot-rodded another one to take the records back. Surely the engines have been improved in 40 years. Though I guess all the existing F-15 fighters are spoken for and nobody wants to lean on 'em too hard outside combat. But they're still making the Mudhen, just rip out the backseat and pull off the CFTs (are they the removable version offered for the C-model, or are they more built-in?) Though with 11-odd thousand pounds more thrust, maybe they can leave the tanks on and just tape over the bomb racks for aero.

I think it's because the records that P-42 set are so far out of reach that the F-15 just couldn't come close. If you think that the Streak Eagle was heavily modified, P-42 was even more extreme; the aircraft was basically purpose-built for the task and only superficially resembled an Su-27. As a result, it had a thrust-to-weight ratio well north of 2 to 1 :stare:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 21, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So...

...they're no longer flying the presidential successor in VH-60s. I had one V-22 fly at about 150-200 feet over my place, followed by two more flying in formation at a slightly higher altitude. The first one shook the poo poo out of the ground.

It's gonna wake babies and drive dogs insane when they fly him back later tonight after the speech.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 21, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrChips posted:

I think it's because the records that P-42 set are so far out of reach that the F-15 just couldn't come close. If you think that the Streak Eagle was heavily modified, P-42 was even more extreme; the aircraft was basically purpose-built for the task and only superficially resembled an Su-27. As a result, it had a thrust-to-weight ratio well north of 2 to 1 :stare:

Do you have a source for that? It seems unlikely.

http://www.fai.org/record-powered-aeroplanes

Here is the FAI browser for the record database, if you can navigate the crappy interface (The category is C-1 Landplanes).The 12,000 meter record, for example, was set at at 59.383 seconds in the Streak Eagle, and beaten a decade later at 58.10 seconds in the P-42 (by Victor Pugachev, as in Pugachev's Cobra) and improved a year later at 55.54.

"Basically purpose-built" sounds like an exaggerated telling of "heavily modified," and the increment of the record increase is moderate.

From these specs of the earliest production Flanker, the empty T/W is 1.53. Of course by itself that number is meaningless since it doesn't account for the fuel load or performance mods, but we can compare it to the F-15A under the same stipulations, which is (thrust,weight) 1.76. So it doesn't add up.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 21, 2015

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Didn't one of the altitude-record jets (maybe an F-104?) have a Sidewinder motor in the tail for a little extra kick, or was that just the one land speed record car? Put 8 AMRAAMs (without warheads) on a Mudhen and volley-fire those fuckers without letting 'em leave the rails, it could probably make LEO :getin:

Of course it wouldn't work, but a boy can dream.

Speaking of The Missile With a Man in it:

Wikipedia posted:

[Lockheed test pilot Darryl Greenamyer] built the Starfighter by collecting and putting together a myriad of parts over a 13 year period.
:monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-_syszg84

vessbot posted:

"Basically purpose-built" sounds like an exaggerated telling of "heavily modified," and the increment of the record increase is moderate.
There's a very fine line in both those where it goes from merely insane to completely batshit, though.

Also beating a Saturn V to 50,000 feet isn't http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/expeditions/expedition30/tryanny.html much of a feat -- the thing weighed six and a half MILLION goddamn pounds (that's near enough to three MILLION loving kilograms, for those for you who speak SI) when they lit the candle. Even Newton could tell you it's not gonna win any drag races. Aaaand that's why the rocket equation is often referred to as "tyranny". (And NASA can't spell, apparently)

Edit again: VVV Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of but couldn't find.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 21, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

Didn't one of the altitude-record jets (maybe an F-104?) have a Sidewinder motor in the tail for a little extra kick, or was that just the one land speed record car? Put 8 AMRAAMs (without warheads) on a Mudhen and volley-fire those fuckers without letting 'em leave the rails, it could probably make LEO :getin:

Of course it wouldn't work, but a boy can dream.

Speaking of The Missile With a Man in it:

:monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws-_syszg84

Well there was the rocket-equipped NF-104 used in early spaceflight research.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

vessbot posted:

Well there was the rocket-equipped NF-104 used in early spaceflight research.
also famously nearly killed Chuck Yeager

Which is really just an excuse to post the end of The Right Stuff
http://youtu.be/1Cq7hf4ylvY

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

Well if we're allowing bullshit like that in our competition, I submit this for the time-to-climb record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZV464z9g8

It accelerates at 100g and reaches 30,000 meters in under 15 seconds.

It always seemed like the Sprint straddled the line between "fuel burning" and "fuel exploding in a controlled manner". It just makes me happy that it's actually possible to build something like that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It always seemed like the Sprint straddled the line between "fuel burning" and "fuel exploding in a controlled manner". It just makes me happy that it's actually possible to build something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

Far better film showing the body of the missile *glowing* as it slices through the air.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

vessbot posted:

I'm not surprised that Airbus is tight-lipped with speculation that may bring liability on themselves. I am surprised that people here would say anything is "almost certain" based on such uninformed speculation. That's so stupid as to be tantamount to the quality of that spotter's observations of the Delta emergency return. OH MY LORD AIR ASIA 8501, WHAT ARE YOU CLIMBING? STOP THAT BLUSTERING!

next time, it would help if you'd said this in the first post instead of just emptyquoting the Airbus rep twice before someone had to drag out of you what you actually meant like four posts later.

e: for what it's worth I agree too, but your first two emptyquotes were exceptionally easy to misread

Psion fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 21, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

vessbot posted:

Do you have a source for that? It seems unlikely.

http://www.fai.org/record-powered-aeroplanes

Here is the FAI browser for the record database, if you can navigate the crappy interface (The category is C-1 Landplanes).The 12,000 meter record, for example, was set at at 59.383 seconds in the Streak Eagle, and beaten a decade later at 58.10 seconds in the P-42 (by Victor Pugachev, as in Pugachev's Cobra) and improved a year later at 55.54.

From these specs of the earliest production Flanker, the empty T/W is 1.53. Of course by itself that number is meaningless since it doesn't account for the fuel load or performance mods, but we can compare it to the F-15A under the same stipulations, which is (thrust,weight) 1.76. So it doesn't add up.

It does sound like the claim that P-42 was custom built were a bit of an exaggeration, but at the same time it was far more heavily modified than the Streak Eagle. First of all, they deleted almost the entire electrical system, save for the flight controls and enough nav/com equipment for the flight. The wings were extensively modified; the wingtip missile racks were removed, as were all the underwing pylons and the internal structure associated. The leading edge devices and the flaperons were replaced with fixed structures. The speedbrake on the spine of the aircraft was removed and the fuselage was extensively reprofiled. The ventral fins were removed and the end fairings on the vertical stabilisers were removed. The radar and radome were removed and replaced with a lightweight metal structure. Finally, the air inlet variable ramps were locked into their optimum position and the actuation system was deleted.

The net result of this was that P-42 tipped the scales at just under 31,000 pounds. Additionally, the engines were uprated to produce an additional 5,000 pounds of thrust, giving a total of just over 62,000 pounds of total thrust, and a thrust-to-weight ratio of 2 to 1.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Protesters in Egypt shining lasers at a military helicopter overhead

Gif from pilots perspective, crazy rave party going on: http://imgur.com/gallery/79vutGp

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

drunkill posted:

Protesters in Egypt shining lasers at a military helicopter overhead

Gif from pilots perspective, crazy rave party going on: http://imgur.com/gallery/79vutGp

I mean, they're doing it in support, which should be added, not to hamper the pilot

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

simplefish posted:

I mean, they're doing it in support, which should be added, not to hamper the pilot

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of trying to help a pilot, is obviously pointing lasers at him.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MrYenko posted:

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of trying to help a pilot, is obviously pointing lasers at him.

you are not a guy in Cairo lighting up highlighting a military helicopter for helping overthrow your dictator. Hell, they probably don't realise it's going in a pilot's eyes because if we shone a laser at the bottom of a car it'd be cool

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There was a successor program called HIBEX that reached 400G or so! The later KITE program hit about 200G. Those terminal-defense anti-ballistic missiles required crazy good performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=0ff19736f5c2 Here's a fun little jaunt around the old course. I'm a big fan of the tree line directly at the end of the finish line and the real flat and fast landing on the main straightaway of the racetrack. :3: