Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

That dude's in terrible shape. He can barely keep jogging while he's about to get arrested.

I'm not gonna lie, this was my exact thought

Also "lol police stig kicks rear end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mortabis posted:

That dude's in terrible shape. He can barely keep jogging while he's about to get arrested.

he's probably been running for a while if they have a helicopter on site already

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

The local news has been running this footage non-stop. I've watched one of the HPD help pilots practice at a local airfield, not sure if it was the same one, but he was practicing dropping the helicopter from "low but not crashing altitude" to "HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo skids almost in the grass" altitude to end a pursuit.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Having to run and hold his pants up because thug life isn't helping either.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Mortabis posted:

Welcome to America in 2016.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Probably doesn't help that he looks to have gotten at least one leg run over by that police SUV. A better question is "Why didn't the guy(s) in the police SUV tackle him?"

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably doesn't help that he looks to have gotten at least one leg run over by that police SUV. A better question is "Why didn't the guy(s) in the police SUV tackle him?"

Houston, in late June.

I wouldn't get out of the truck either

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

I showed the video to the only LEO I know personally, and his major comment was "The guy in the Tahoe chases people the same way I do..."

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Does the MD-500 have a rigid rotor head that would preclude the guy from getting lunched while under the rotor disc? I realize the helicopter is still 5-6' off the ground at the beginning of the clip, but at "skids in grass" level, how far down does the tip path bend during those kind of maneuvers?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrYenko posted:

I showed the video to the only LEO I know personally, and his major comment was "The guy in the Tahoe chases people the same way I do..."

It's like the modern-day equivalent of persistence hunting; the runner will wear out long before the truck does. If he's not immediately endangering anyone, why not just let him wear himself out?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Does the MD-500 have a rigid rotor head that would preclude the guy from getting lunched while under the rotor disc? I realize the helicopter is still 5-6' off the ground at the beginning of the clip, but at "skids in grass" level, how far down does the tip path bend during those kind of maneuvers?

The 500 does have a bearingless rotor system, but it's not so stiff as to work much differently than an articulated rotor would. However, the rotor flapping is surprisingly small when the rotor is loaded (e.g. lifting the helicopter). I've done a few flight tests where we've done direct measurements of rotor flapping during maneuvers, and the change in TPP orientation relative to the shaft is typically very small (like a degree or two) for all positive load factor maneuvers where the rotor is hingeless, articulated, or even teetering. For this reason, I usually don't even try to get these measurements anymore since I can calculate the TPP orientation and angle of attack well enough for just about any helicopter with instruments in the non-rotating frame.

Where you get in trouble is when the rotor becomes unloaded, for instance when in contact with the ground or during low or negative-gee maneuvers. This is usually where you'll see bad things like mast bumping, tail boom strikes, or blades flapping down and hitting people on the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

(click for big)

Bristol Brabazon under construction.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, they are making a movie about the Hudson water landing starting Tom Hanks.
https://youtu.be/mjKEXxO2KNE

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Tetraptous posted:

The 500 does have a bearingless rotor system, but it's not so stiff as to work much differently than an articulated rotor would. However, the rotor flapping is surprisingly small when the rotor is loaded (e.g. lifting the helicopter). I've done a few flight tests where we've done direct measurements of rotor flapping during maneuvers, and the change in TPP orientation relative to the shaft is typically very small (like a degree or two) for all positive load factor maneuvers where the rotor is hingeless, articulated, or even teetering. For this reason, I usually don't even try to get these measurements anymore since I can calculate the TPP orientation and angle of attack well enough for just about any helicopter with instruments in the non-rotating frame.

Where you get in trouble is when the rotor becomes unloaded, for instance when in contact with the ground or during low or negative-gee maneuvers. This is usually where you'll see bad things like mast bumping, tail boom strikes, or blades flapping down and hitting people on the ground.

Yeah, y'know how a B-52's wings flex alarmingly upward in flight? Same thing, the rotor isn't going to be below perpendicular to the shaft anytime it's flying.

Bob A Feet posted:

I'm pretty sure other than that helicopter with floats on it no plane/helicopter is designed to float. Well especially helicopters. Way too top heavy to do anything other than helocast. Which isn't floating. I mean helicopters are whirling death machines that fly on luck alone. Don't think that luck extends to floating as well.
Quoted from exactly a month ago, at the time I was too lazy to find a video, but today I saw a link to this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfPBY5qnpSM

Which is what you're talking about, hovering with decks awash (IIRC that's an Army Chinook, probably 160th SOAR, the SF guys don't much care about interservice rivalries when it comes to extraction).

But here's a helicopter landing in the water and floating just fine once they stop the engines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXi3jdSYxic

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the Navy MH-53E's bigass sponsons (as opposed to the USMC version with small sponsons and what I assume are drop tanks? What's up with those fuel tanks?) were partially to help it float. Of course I can't find it again, but just look at the thing:

That'll probably stay upright in a calm sea.

Also, most airliners are designed to float, if only accidentally -- see Sully there in the previous post. It's a tube full of air and kerosene, it'll float.

This situation is ... rather unlikely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUkfmBCsrE

Which was probably the inspiration for this Futurama episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I know the CH-53E can do a *short* stint in the water, but I'm pretty sure the MH-53 has the enlarged sponsons/fuel capacity because it's designed to lug a sea anchor behind it in the form of a mine countermeasures sled. He flew both the -46D&E and the -53E (with a stint at HM-12 on the MH-53E), and as I recall, the general guidelines on water landings were 'don't do it unless it's necessary, and try not to make it necessary.'

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The H-46 and SH-3 both had one-way plugs in the floor that would let water drain out but not come in at quite the same speed. The H-53 doesn't have these plugs, just open holes in the floorboards. So, the Navy knew how to design helicopters to settle into the water, but they didn't include those designs in the H-53. The Marines then took the plugs from their H-46s and installed them in their H-53s and said "hey guys, lookit this" and there ya go. The Navy then saw how effective the sponsons were at flotation and put "water landings are acceptable but a really bad idea" in the manual.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We're making parts for the c919, wish me luck in dealing with Chinese engineering

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

smackfu posted:

Huh, they are making a movie about the Hudson water landing starting Tom Hanks.
https://youtu.be/mjKEXxO2KNE

I don't understand why this is a movie. Like digging into his life post-mishap isn't controversial; it's how an investigation goes. They tear your life apart looking for causal issues.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It really looks quite loving stupid.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I can't think of any dramatic aspect to expand on outside of the inherent drama of the water landing.

Sully didn't have any skeletons in his closet, he handled a bad emergency in near perfect conditions in practically textbook fashion, and no one died.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tom Hanks is a loveable gentle caring yet competent fatherly type, and the role matches that perfectly. Add massive headline coverage and producers just see $$$

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

holocaust bloopers posted:

I don't understand why this is a movie. Like digging into his life post-mishap isn't controversial; it's how an investigation goes. They tear your life apart looking for causal issues.

It's a movie because it's a great story. There's a dramatic tension between the public perception and the reality: the public sees him as a hero while the investigatory board sees him as a possible villain. We'd like to think that someone's life was significantly improved by such a courageous action, when in actuality his quality of life was diminished by the stress and intrusiveness of an investigation that sought to blame him for what happened. There's person-vs-nature conflict, person-vs-person conflict, and person-vs-self conflict. There's literally no reason why it wouldn't be a good idea for a movie.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Eh, he's not that great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQgtJF2byqI

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Real? Fake?
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/jFmLx

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I can't think of any dramatic aspect to expand on outside of the inherent drama of the water landing.

It's "Flight" for people who would've preferred the pilot to be white with no character failings or flaws. Or "Flight" for your church-going grandparents.

It'll still make a ton of money, though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheNakedJimbo posted:

It's a movie because it's a great story. There's a dramatic tension between the public perception and the reality: the public sees him as a hero while the investigatory board sees him as a possible villain. We'd like to think that someone's life was significantly improved by such a courageous action, when in actuality his quality of life was diminished by the stress and intrusiveness of an investigation that sought to blame him for what happened. There's person-vs-nature conflict, person-vs-person conflict, and person-vs-self conflict. There's literally no reason why it wouldn't be a good idea for a movie.

Counterpoint: the only way it could be remotely interesting rather than a paint by number Tom Hanks vehicle is if it was told from the perspective of the flock of birds.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sully didn't have any skeletons in his closet, he handled a bad emergency in near perfect conditions in practically textbook fashion, and no one died.

If you read the NTSB report as a layman without understanding what the NTSB is for you could get the impression that they were Monday morning quarterbacking.

Of course, it's all to come up with recommendations like "come up with a low altitude two engine out checklist, they followed one that's only appropriate at high altitude" and "the aircraft's speed was low, the pilot thought he was on the green dot on the tape, but he was actually much slower, can the cockpit layout communicate this more clearly?"

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

really

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Linedance posted:

Counterpoint: the only way it could be remotely interesting rather than a paint by number Tom Hanks vehicle is if it was told from the perspective of the flock of birds.
Oh my god somebody needs to make this. Those poor birds and their families

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Exactly like the guy flying the "Gimli Glider"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's "Flight" for people who would've preferred the pilot to be white with no character failings or flaws. Or "Flight" for your church-going grandparents.

It'll still make a ton of money, though.

The thing that bothered me about Flight was they make the copilot out to be a nincompoop when it's immediately obvious it's taken from the Alaska flight in 2000 where they both fought really hard to hold that plane together including real-life flying it inverted. It's a real disservice to the real-life pilots, but obviously it's just a movie and I'm a nerd who'd recognize where they got the scenario from.

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Except by all accounts he never was viewed as a villain and he was never sought to be blamed. When the NTSB gave test pilots the scenario they only managed to return to the airport about 50% of the time, and that's with full knowledge ahead of time. I mean it is "the untold story" according to the trailer so maybe we never heard this account. I don't know, he has a book out so maybe somebody could read that and see what he says. No doubt there were questions about what could have been done differently and it being a haunting experience but the trailer seems to be making up a lot of drama. It's not a documentary, it's entertainment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Except by all accounts he never was viewed as a villain and he was never sought to be blamed. When the NTSB gave test pilots the scenario they only managed to return to the airport about 50% of the time, and that's with full knowledge ahead of time. I mean it is "the untold story" according to the trailer so maybe we never heard this account. I don't know, he has a book out so maybe somebody could read that and see what he says. No doubt there were questions about what could have been done differently and it being a haunting experience but the trailer seems to be making up a lot of drama. It's not a documentary, it's entertainment.

Once they put in a delay it was impossible though:

NTSB posted:

The pilots were fully briefed on the maneuver before they attempted to perform it in the
simulator. The following three flight scenarios were flown: (1) normal landings on runway 4 at
LGA, starting from an altitude of 1,000 or 1,500 feet on approach; (2) attempted landings at
LGA or TEB after the bird strike, starting both from zero groundspeed on takeoff from runway 4
at LGA and from a preprogrammed point shortly before the bird strike and loss of engine thrust;
and (3) ditching on the Hudson River starting from 1,500 feet above the river at an airspeed of
200 kts.

During the first flight scenario, all of the pilots were able to achieve a successful landing
in both simulators. The flightpath angles at touchdown for these landings ranged from -0.8° to
-1.3°. Regarding the second flight scenario, 20 runs were performed in the engineering simulator
from a preprogrammed point shortly before the loss of engine thrust in which pilots attempted to
return to either runway 13 or 22 at LGA or runway 19 at TEB. Five of the 20 runs were
discarded because of poor data or simulator malfunctions. Of the 15 remaining runs, in 6, the
pilot attempted to land on runway 22 at LGA; in 7, the pilot attempted to land on runway 13 at
LGA; and in 2, the pilot attempted to land on runway 19 at TEB. In eight of the 15 runs (53
percent), the pilot successfully landed after making an immediate turn to an airport after the loss
of engine thrust. Specifically, two of the six runs to land on runway 22 at LGA, five of the seven
runs to land on runway 13 at LGA, and one of the two runs to land on runway 19 at TEB
immediately after the loss of engine thrust were successful.88 One run was made to return to an
airport (runway 13 at LGA) after a 35-second delay,89 and the landing was not successful.

Regarding the third flight scenario, a total of 14 runs were performed in the engineering
simulator in which pilots attempted to touch down on the water within a target flightpath angle of
-0.5°, consistent with the structural ditching certification criteria. Two of the 14 runs were
discarded because of poor data. Of the remaining 12 runs, 4 were attempted using CONF 2,
4 were attempted using CONF 3, and 4 were attempted using CONF 3/Slats only.

In 11 of the 12 runs, the touchdown flightpath angle ranged between -1.5° and -3.6° (the
touchdown flightpath angle achieved on the accident flight was -3.4°). In 1 of these 12 runs, a
-0.2° touchdown flightpath angle was achieved by an Airbus test pilot who used a technique that
involved approaching the water at a high speed, leveling the airplane a few feet above the water
with the help of the radar altimeter, and then bleeding off airspeed in ground effect until the
airplane settled into the water.

Also bonus confirmation of secret Airbus A320 seaplane work. :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

"You say A320 is boring, mon ami? Wait until you see zee A320 flying boat!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

Once they put in a delay it was impossible though:

So basically, 53% of the time when the pilots knew exactly what to do before they needed to do it, they managed to land?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

So basically, 53% of the time when the pilots knew exactly what to do before they needed to do it, they managed to land?

53% without a handicap, 0% with a handicap to simulate response time.

Considering thats basically a 47% chance of 150 people dying and taking a ton of people on the ground with them in a perfect situation, the Hudson was an excellent call. Its called the impossible turn for a reason.

Whats interesting is that someone ditched worse than Sully in the simulator despite being briefed ahead of time.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 2, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

if you ahve to ask.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's more that that's what most of the comments are about

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pretty sure it's real, they just had to speed up the pace within the GIF so it wouldn't be multiple megabytes and ADDled minds wouldn't click off of it before the bank.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure it's real, they just had to speed up the pace within the GIF so it wouldn't be multiple megabytes and ADDled minds wouldn't click off of it before the bank.

Then, those that clicked off when the bank happened, wouldn't be paying attention when he then popped full afterburner and launched to FL340 just to use gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, nothing about it looks fake, besides being sped up which is pretty reasonable.