Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

mekilljoydammit posted:

It's easy to underestimate how much of a problem exhaust valves were back then, though. Prior to the invention of sodium filled exhaust valves and the use of better alloys, there was a lot of thinking that poppet valves were an evolutionary dead end because burning them up imposed so many limits.

It really is. Using HSS as the measure of steel that can take heat and still be strong.. HSS didn't come around until the 1940's. Then hardened valve seats of metals that don't want to weld to the exhaust valves....

Lots of poppet valve problems are also not directly valve related. I don't know when each of those techniques came into popular use. Narrow valve heads were a 60's thing IIRC. (hemispherical heads are not good for cylinder head temps, flame front speeds, and by relation, exhaust valve temps)

And as you mentioned, fluid filled valves make a huge difference too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Heading up to Oshkosh for Airventure tomorrow, will be committing some journalism, so I'll probably mostly be hanging out in the photo pit, but if anybody is in town and wants to get a beer or talk airplane stuff, I'll probably be there monday-thursday-ish. Don't expect to stay for the weekend, but might if there is cause, or if I can get a ride on the Martin Mars.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 23, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Going to Oshkosh is one thing, going to Oshkosh and seeing the friggin' Martin Mars is another and now I'm really jealous.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
A pair of F-35s just flew over my apartment a few times.

I don't know what to think any more.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

lol, engine fires are considered a normal and healthy running condition of this engine

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
They used to lean big radials by looking out the window and adjusting the mixture for the right color exhaust flame.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

A pair of F-35s just flew over my apartment a few times.

I don't know what to think any more.

Did they, at any point, engage in any hovering, short takeoff, or other non-aerodynamic flight shenanigans?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Linedance posted:

Did they, at any point, engage in any hovering, short takeoff, or other non-aerodynamic flight shenanigans?
They went in a non-straight line!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Slo-Tek posted:

Heading up to Oshkosh for Airventure tomorrow, will be committing some journalism, so I'll probably mostly be hanging out in the photo pit, but if anybody is in town and wants to get a beer or talk airplane stuff, I'll probably be there monday-thursday-ish. Don't expect to stay for the weekend, but might if there is cause, or if I can get a ride on the Martin Mars.

http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

I'll be there Monday through Wednesday at least, probably helping with EAA Photo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

They went in a non-straight line!

Pics or it didn't happen.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

Pics or it didn't happen.
I didn't see them until their final pass, apparently they were doing a flyby of the Brickyard 400.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
737-900s are pretty swanky, though united cheaped out and there aren't any outlets in economy it seems.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah cause United loving sucks

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Canada has a new discount airline launching today offering $79 fares.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Thats cheaper than spirit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

slidebite posted:

This is entirely sensible, and still far cheaper than the competition.

I've been thinking for a long time that airlines are bound to start charging for carry-on bags, since not doing so just has everyone trying to pack everything into carry-ons that often don't fit and needs gate checks. Must add a fair bit of extra delay into loading and unloading.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

slidebite posted:

They're even aping Ryanair's color scheme!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah cause United loving sucks

Remember when they weren't owned by Continental and weren't the worst? Yeah, me too. :rip:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
So apparently Kermit Weeks was flying shotgun in the Martin Mars from Port Alberni to Oshkosh. He put some pictures on Facebook about the flight:

https://www.facebook.com/KermitWeeks/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1110165449052533

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PittTheElder posted:

This is entirely sensible, and still far cheaper than the competition.

I've been thinking for a long time that airlines are bound to start charging for carry-on bags, since not doing so just has everyone trying to pack everything into carry-ons that often don't fit and needs gate checks. Must add a fair bit of extra delay into loading and unloading.

I have no problem with charging for what you bring on, but I can't wait to hear the belly-aching from people trying to bring all their items from their studio apartment as a carry-on.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

ehnus posted:

So apparently Kermit Weeks was flying shotgun in the Martin Mars from Port Alberni to Oshkosh. He put some pictures on Facebook about the flight:

https://www.facebook.com/KermitWeeks/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1110165449052533

Sorry, I'm going to quote my own post because how often do you see shots like this:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

slidebite posted:

I have no problem with charging for what you bring on, but I can't wait to hear the belly-aching from people trying to bring all their items from their studio apartment as a carry-on.

If it's a "do you wish to carry on or check in any luggage" question at time of purchase, the cost of the ticket is simply base + luggage option, kind of like paying for car + driver on a ferry. However, if it's a surprise cost when you check in, or two separate transactions in any way, I'd rather cancel the trip than fly with them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

ehnus posted:

Sorry, I'm going to quote my own post because how often do you see shots like this:

Two four-bladed props, an external fuel tank and gorgeous scenery? Pretty often :smug:

Edit: well it resembles an external tank anyway :v:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Mars and Phantoms.

http://imgur.com/a/vXn1R

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Thats cheaper than spirit.

It costs more to fly the carry on than to fly the person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nerobro posted:

Well, Cox engines use two kinds of valve. For front carbed COX (and more r/c engines) there's a rotary valve built into the crank. That's in a low temperature, and well oiled spot. For rear carbed Cox, they have a reed valves. Those are common on most motorcycle and scooter 2 strokes.

The exhaust on a Cox motor is called a "Port." There's no valve involved.

Yeah? Got any examples? I can't think of any, but the only brand I can think of is Mercedes.

Panhard, Voisin, Daimler, Peugeot, Minerva. Not quite a who's who of big luxury GT manufacturers, but pretty close. The design was quite popular for high speed since valve float on OHV engines was still a big issue.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Psion posted:

Remember when they weren't owned by Continental and weren't the worst? Yeah, me too. :rip:

Yeah when I was like... 8. And I'm pretty sure I've got a good couple of years on you, as I recall. :v:

:corsair: Oh man the 2nd phantom :fap: That 1st shot of the Martin is fantastic as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Really glad the 53rd WEG still flies that camo Phantom. I was afraid it would go away once they started using QF-16s regularly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Murgos posted:

It costs more to fly the carry on than to fly the person.
The obvious answer is to wear a weeks worth of clothes and put everything else in your pockets.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

The obvious answer is to wear a weeks worth of clothes and put everything else in your pockets.

A large purse is a "small personal item"

Though last I saw they had size containers for the personal items and they were tiny so maybe even that trick won't work anymore.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

slidebite posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...uggage-fee.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Major Kong covers the Lightning: http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/7/22/1546716/-Speed-of-Lightning

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Really glad the 53rd WEG still flies that camo Phantom. I was afraid it would go away once they started using QF-16s regularly.

This will likely be the last airshow season for them. They're done at Tyndall as they've gone fully to QF-16s, but there's still 20-something QF-4s at Holloman. The plan is to stop test support with them in Jan '17, with them fully phased out later in 2017. Not sure if they'll do a "final farewell" tour next summer but once they stop paying the contractors to maintain them for test support I don't see them continuing to spend money on them for heritage flights.

In things I didn't know, apparently the first year (2005) of QF-4 heritage flights was funded out of the 82d ATRS/53d WEG's budget, they didn't get big blue ACC Heritage Flight funding until the next year. That's pretty cool.

e: yeah this is the last year. If you want to see one sounds like Reno and/or Nellis Aviation Nation are your best bets.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 26, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://i.imgur.com/NA4PG4B.gifv

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d30_1469457241

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:stare: you just know that pilot looooooooves his job

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

:stare: you just know that pilot looooooooves his job

I hope his wife has *tons* of life insurance on him.

And :10bux: says someone from that community tries to sue for damages in getting that poo poo out of their shingles or because their lawn is ruined now.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And :10bux: says someone from that community tries to sue for damages in getting that poo poo out of their shingles or because their lawn is ruined now.

I'm setting the bar at 3.5M - betting begins now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

This will likely be the last airshow season for them. They're done at Tyndall as they've gone fully to QF-16s, but there's still 20-something QF-4s at Holloman. The plan is to stop test support with them in Jan '17, with them fully phased out later in 2017. Not sure if they'll do a "final farewell" tour next summer but once they stop paying the contractors to maintain them for test support I don't see them continuing to spend money on them for heritage flights.

In things I didn't know, apparently the first year (2005) of QF-4 heritage flights was funded out of the 82d ATRS/53d WEG's budget, they didn't get big blue ACC Heritage Flight funding until the next year. That's pretty cool.

e: yeah this is the last year. If you want to see one sounds like Reno and/or Nellis Aviation Nation are your best bets.

Goddrat it.

Yeah, I'll have to try to get to the Reno Air Races this year. Edit: Of COURSE it's in the middle of our exercise.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I hope his wife has *tons* of life insurance on him.

another :10bux: says that the judge involves throws out the suit while stating "would you prefer it if the county just let your fuckin house burn?" in the decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I may be misremembering, but I'm pretty sure phos-check is a decent fertilizer.