Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

drzrma posted:

I thought half the point of the DC-3 was to lose the third engine and its associated noise, vibration, and fire hazard compared to Ford Trimotor and the like? Not to say I wouldn't love a turboprop converted DC-3, though a turboprop PBY luxury yacht is much higher on the list despite the utter impossibility of it.

There are plenty of twin-turboprop DC-3 conversions out there, the Basler BT-67 seems to be among the more recent (they were still doing them in like the late-2000s I believe.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

drzrma posted:

though a turboprop PBY luxury yacht is much higher on the list despite the utter impossibility of it.
Assuming someone has the infinite money and patience required (trying to get a modern-day CAA that isn't the FAA to look at anything old classic with a positive attitude) I'd be all over that. Iren Dornier's Do-24ATT is the closest thing that exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THHTczGD9k

Bonus video of our ship in the Alps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8eWMQkES5w

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

drzrma posted:

I wish we got cool flyovers for stuff, instead all the transplants whine about how terrifyingly loud the Growlers are when they fly within fifty miles. Strange how there were few complaints about Prowlers, until they stopped flying regularly for a few years then all of the sudden it was a loving shock that people bought property near an air base. Not like it's been there for 70 loving years or anything.

Hah, sup Whidbey Island goon. :tipshat:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

CBJamo posted:

Don't know if anyone caught this, but one of the aircraft involved in the 70th anniversary V-day flyover in DC had to make an emergency landing. A hydraulic line had a pinhole that caused vapor in the cockpit. Here cockpit footage of the event. Textbook performance by the pilot.

Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure most people will have seen it (I think I was linked from here, actually), but there's a similar video with a Yak-50 running into trouble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZvSmsIE_Ls

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm waiting on a delayed flight MSP-IAH, they claim that it's because the pilots are stuck in Appleton, WI but I don't buy it; they probably can't find the pontoons for a CRJ-900

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
So a guy who works for the amazingly named 'Unicorn Aerospace' - responsible for the XIALJet Mk-1 which "is a hybrid manned fighter interceptor and unmanned precision targeting elimination platform for zero collateral damage effectiveness.".. - thinks he know where MH370 is.

He's basing this on some apparently amazing Russian spy satellite tech which found something. MH370 is at a “Site of scientific discovery of identical size proportion and primary material substances of aluminum, titanium, copper, engine alloys, hydrocarbons and steel alloys as that of MH 370 located in a depth of 1100 meters as first appearing on remote satellite imaging technology 52 hours after 14:30 March 8th.” That's quite some sat tech.

Huff post has the article.

Good 'ol media giving the voice to the real experts. Mind you, it's only marginally less insane searching where they are, so :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I love how the article goes on further to claim that MH370 was shot down by the United States because hackers had taken over the plane and were going to crash it into Diego Garcia, something that very likely would have gone unnoticed by everyone there for several hours' time.

"Hey, I see smoke, did another B-1 land gear up and no one noticed?"

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

I also need a small loan.

I estimate a $700k purchase price and an additional 2.5 times that for the restoration.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

buttcrackmenace posted:

I also need a small loan.

I estimate a $700k purchase price and an additional 2.5 times that for the restoration.

My goodness. Would fly all day erry day. Just need a few more zeros in my bank account. I don't even think I would paint it. May not even wash it. Get her airworthy and GO.

Tide fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 28, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I love how the article goes on further to claim that MH370 was shot down by the United States because hackers had taken over the plane and were going to crash it into Diego Garcia, something that very likely would have gone unnoticed by everyone there for several hours' time.

"Hey, I see smoke, did another B-1 land gear up and no one noticed?"

Yeah I don't get it, all these conspiracies are so focused on the "powerful" "military base" of Diego Garcia, which is not only owned by the British but also mostly deserted. What would you even crash it into? The marina?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A BONE obviously

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
NAS Whidbey is doing an open house/sunset for the EA-6B, complete with some really drat bad photoshop on this PDF

I didn't even know they still flew any Prowlers up there, except that I saw what looked like one flying yesterday. A quick google search tells me one last squadron flies them and they're switching to Growlers this year.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah I don't get it, all these conspiracies are so focused on the "powerful" "military base" of Diego Garcia, which is not only owned by the British but also mostly deserted. What would you even crash it into? The marina?

It's like an Area 51 that people can't photograph save for Google Earth flybys. Add together supposed Black Site detention areas, the rumor of forward-deployed nuclear weapons, the security of an airbase where even the most secret of aircraft can land for refueling/maintenance, and the sum equals a trifecta of crazy. When in truth, getting based at Diego Garcia generally means one of two things: 1) your detailer hates you or had no other choice (meaning you're single or recently divorced), or 2) you hosed up and it's your punishment.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 29, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Psion posted:

NAS Whidbey is doing an open house/sunset for the EA-6B, complete with some really drat bad photoshop on this PDF

I didn't even know they still flew any Prowlers up there, except that I saw what looked like one flying yesterday. A quick google search tells me one last squadron flies them and they're switching to Growlers this year.

They were doing touch n go's then a final landing and eulogy retirement ceremony at KBFI for that airframe which is a donation to the Museum. Should still be parked right where the Raptor and Eagle were the other weekend. They had a trio of Super Bugs come in from Lemoore, hang out, then do a AB departure earlier today.

ed: speaking of - something fun/loud just left Boeing Field going north. :shrug:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 29, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

THIS PLANE IS ADORABLE. PLEASE HELP ME I'M FREAKING OUT A LITTLE.

Why are bizjets so cute

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Inacio posted:

THIS PLANE IS ADORABLE. PLEASE HELP ME I'M FREAKING OUT A LITTLE.

Why are bizjets so cute

Not all bizjets are so cute

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

I see your JetStar and raise you -2 engines

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

It's about as British as Hawaii

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The same Hawaii with the union jack on their flag?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

drunkill posted:

The same Hawaii with the union jack on their flag?

That's my exact point.

Yes, it's represented to the world as being British, but that's in one facet of appearance only.

There is one thing there, and it's a US base, staffed with US citizens. I don't think there's even a British military presence there, not even a token one.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

simplefish posted:

That's my exact point.

Yes, it's represented to the world as being British, but that's in one facet of appearance only.

There is one thing there, and it's a US base, staffed with US citizens. I don't think there's even a British military presence there, not even a token one.

Upon further investigation I withdraw my claim that there were no brits there. They are in the minority though with a sizable US personnel majority

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Plus that's the plane that almost killed Rambo.

Here are two blog posts that sort of demystify DG:

http://www.jared-lee.com/blog/2011/11/diego-garcia-downtown/ and http://www.jared-lee.com/blog/2011/11/diego-garcia-recreation/

TL;DR on both: Oh god do *anything* and *everything* to avoid boredom.

That being said, the assortment of TV channels they get put what I had in Sicily in 1991-93 to shame. We had one AFN channel and I had to go to a local non-military hotel to get to watch CNN International. Anyone whose parents fished to get a satellite dish with access to British television automatically became everyone's friend.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 29, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Butt Reactor posted:

Oh my loving god go high wing or low wing you bastard freak of a bizjet! :argh::barf:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

ehnus posted:

I see your JetStar and raise you -2 engines

If any airplane ever needed a soviet style glass nose, that is it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Butt Reactor posted:

I bet it would look perfect as a flying boat.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Touring Boeing (in Everett) with my daughter's technology/engineering class today. :toot:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

simplefish posted:

Upon further investigation I withdraw my claim that there were no brits there. They are in the minority though with a sizable US personnel majority

What, your exhaustive skimming of a wikipedia article? The British own that island and if you break any laws you'll find yourself in Her Majesty's Brig fairly quickly. Plus, the highest-ranking person on the island is always British.

edit: and our lease on that island expires in 2016 so it's not much of a long-term storage solution for MH370

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Oops...

One too many vin rouge at lunch?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/29/us-airfrance-probe-idUSKBN0OE1N020150529

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I can't ever decide if I absolutely love the way a Falcon looks or hate it.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
More like a 100-tonne typo that went undetected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmcr-3_ZG64

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tide posted:

I can't ever decide if I absolutely love the way a Falcon looks or hate it.

Depends on the loadout/angle/colors, I think. See:

:black101: :circlefap: :black101:

:downsgun:

:btroll:

Yes, I'm well aware the last two are pretty much the same load, but it makes my point about angles well enough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've heard someone contend that the F-16 will go down in history as a disappointment. Conceived as a simple light-weight dogfighter it's instead been relegated to a life as a cheap bomb truck which seems to entirely go against its intended design. Is it actually any good in that role?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
There was beautiful Hawker Hunter practicing for airshows in our skies earlier this week. e: and it's doing it today, THAT BLUE NOTE

Locals went "OH GOD THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING" and media had to go out and explain that no no, it's just a jet fighter introduced 60ish years ago practicing. The good old J29F Tunnan they have out there flew Monday, wish I hadn't missed out.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 29, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I've heard someone contend that the F-16 will go down in history as a disappointment. Conceived as a simple light-weight dogfighter it's instead been relegated to a life as a cheap bomb truck which seems to entirely go against its intended design. Is it actually any good in that role?

That person was dumb. The F-16 has a proven combat record against enemy aircraft. Israel did very well with them.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mlmp08 posted:

That person was dumb. The F-16 has a proven combat record against enemy aircraft. Israel did very well with them.
For the sake of argument, what does the F-16 bring to the table that another plane couldn't have done better? Would the Air Force have been better off going with the YF-17 instead and ending up with a variant of the F/A-18?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

david_a posted:

For the sake of argument, what does the F-16 bring to the table that another plane couldn't have done better? Would the Air Force have been better off going with the YF-17 instead and ending up with a variant of the F/A-18?

Isn't the burden of proof the other way around? What can the F-16 not do that another airframe could have done better?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

david_a posted:

A fighter that has been adapted into literally every possible role an aircraft that size can perform: a disappointment.

Ok I guess there's no EW F-16, the F-18 wins that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Isn't the burden of proof the other way around? What can the F-16 not do that another airframe could have done better?

We've covered this...

https://youtu.be/335GdTqtyLs

Edit:
it's single seat, multi-role,it can fly right up it's own rear end in a top hat