Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
i'm doing this while it's still the first page:

THE F-14 ISN'T AS GREAT AS YOU THINK, YOU ONLY LIKE IT BECAUSE IT WAS IN TOP GUN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

azflyboy posted:

While the F-14 did have a bunch of problems with the early production models, the fact that it could (theoretically) hit another aircraft with a missile from 100 miles away is pretty cool.

but it never did and the phoenix was an expensive paperweight!

i know what we can trash on, and agree upon though: piper navajo's!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
i love how each time we do an aviation thread it usually dissolves into banter about the sr71 and or the f14.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Buhbuhj posted:

There's a surprising lack of A-10s so far. I would have expected at least 3 pages worth by now but I think it got maybe 2 mentions so far.

yeah, nobody bothers to post photos from x-country's and it's like the AME crowd is either afraid of posting stories, or is still stuck at the hangar dealing with their apprentices!

i tell you whut, when i start working at am AMO I'm going to take pictures of almost everythin'

i also think it has to do with the fact that air planes are expensive and less accessible then cars are.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Weinertron posted:

I don't understand why we can't just build more A-10s. They are tough, cheap, perfect at their role.

tooling required for special parts, a factory to build them in

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Sterndotstern posted:

No one else in the world can field an F-22, so America has air superiority sewn up for the next decade or two. Now that I think about it, I can't see any military aircraft designs that really need revision in the next 25 years.

this is a rather arrogant statment. this newer, better, faster mentality is what gives us such headaches as the f22.

azflyboy posted:

Ironically, the B-52 seems to be doing slightly better than the aircraft that was supposed to replace it. In 2003, the USAF decided to retire about 30 B-1's (reducing the fleet to 67) meaning there were more B-52's flying than the aircraft that was supposed to replace it. Despite being well over 40 at this point, the B-52 fleet still manages to have a far higher availability rate than either the B-1 or B-2 that were intended to replace it.

Currently, the B-52 is supposed to be in service until at least 2040 (making the youngest flying aircraft about 80 years old), with the B-1 fleet being retired at about the same time.

i'd hate to be the structures tech who has to sign off an 80 year old airframe.

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 19, 2010

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
does anyone else miss fighter ace 2?

i spent alot of time in 109's and yak 9's. oh my teenage years...

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
so a GIS tells me that fighter ace is still around, but also more expensive :(

https://fighterace.ketsujin.com//Default2.asp

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Speaking of old planes, this picture is of a Sabre in a town park near me.

Gotta love NY. Ricers will put JDM on anything.

that poor sabre! :(

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Strabo4 posted:

drat, that's pretty amazing. Seeing this kinda stuff makes me miss getting popular science/mechanic, they were always full of those kind of ideas.

watch out for fod!

it also looks like an upside-down lawnmower

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
grover, you're wrong.

forward swept wing designs have better higher angle of attack behavior then straight or rearward swept wings, and also are more maneuverable. There are drawbacks although, like increased flight loads and needing a computer to help the pilot fly the drat thing in the first place but you can say the same of all modern fighters.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Ah, over bearing fly-by-wire systems. yet another way of engineers putting too much faith in code/tech over trusting the pilot to fly the drat airplane. You know, because the guy doing the coding is obviously less likely to make mistakes.

god drat boffins.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

I just hate 'em because I can't stand up straight in the middle of the aisle. Compare and contrast with the MD-11 I rode on Monday, where I could just barely touch the ceiling in the aisle.

we just got the forward section of a 100 donated to my school's AME S program; a timed out United craft.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
that's some cool stuff, they must have a nice setup down there. The S program moved from Sault Ste Marie to London, On 2 years ago. The college built a new motive transport building to house automotive mechanical & body plus diesel, heavy equipment and farm equipment so it's only now that my instructors have room for the cool/big stuff beyond fuselages of 152, 172 210, Zlin and DA 20. Apparently there's more complete airframes to come including a helo. They also want to move the whole program to the airport and add an E program, but that's not likely to happen within the next few years.

I was learning rib stitching on wed, and got it down pat, but the starting/end knot is a bitch. I'd like to specialize in composites and do my module 1-3 so I can sign off repairs and do the same with wooden/tubular/fabric structures.

*lusts after a MD 570 NOTAR* :fap:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
NASA's humor is out of this world, i doubt you'd understand it. :haw:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Biz class ain't worth it in a CRJ because it's still really uncomfortable.

even the pilots are cramped in a CRJ

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

slidebite posted:

Great. Welp, thanks for saving me the dough.

OH GREAT.

Look out for my thread in a week or two:

Ask me about developing a DVT

yeah, i've sat in the pilots seats of a cf 18 and a crj-300 series and the hornet's cockpit had more room to move in. getting into the pilots seat of a crj is like getting into a lotus.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
just lettin the internet know that I MUTHAFUCKIN GRADUATED! my AME S course. now the fun part is trying somewhere that will let me fondle their airplanes.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

DiscoDickTease posted:

To continue with the theme of pilots not giving a poo poo: The Pilot song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__s4OMTVyhI

ffffffff, so perfect <3

oh well, pilots and baggage handlers keep us mech's in business.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

Have a video of a flight of P-38s patrolling Central California...

http://youtu.be/GdzF_i7mPgs

i need to change my pants now...

too bad the music is so atrocious. ack!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

MrChips posted:

Looks like our dear friends at Buffalo Airways (of Ice Pilots fame) landed their Lockheed Electra gear-up in Yellowknife a couple of days ago:

Here's the album of the resulting damage:

http://imgur.com/a/uFkOP

drat, that's alot of time involved to fix all of that. There's not that many Electra's out there to begin with.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Cygni posted:

Just read that there actually two groups trying to restore a Twin Mustang to flying status. I still refuse to believe any of the pictures of these loving things are real, I don't care if my grandfather flew em. Yall are goofin' me and I'm tired of it.

the 82 is loving awesome and is by far my favorite aircraft.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Sometimes I have a camera. Sometimes I take pictures.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for the tips! At first I was all mad about the noise but then I embraced how old a SLR I have.

Having the klm and cf18's come in yesterday was a treat :)

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 27, 2012

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
this thread is now about we invented flight for advertising purposes.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

ooooooooh no you didn't! i'mma lay a helvecta of a slap down on you from my archive of quality frames

I have more, if you wish to contest...

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I bet! I've been in the test chambers at CFB Baggotville. I think it's part of what sent me on the AME career path.

these were from the same trip:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
mossie's sure are soft on the eye. always liked em

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Good news everyone!

I landed a job building these bastards:

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 5, 2013

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

Congratulations.

Now what kind of discount do you get? :v:

I think bucking rivets will be as close as I get to flying in one for a long while.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are those built at Mirabel? (or am I atrocious at IDing bizjets?)

If you removed all the seats from a CRJ and replaced them with sofas you'd have the global express. Built in Toronto, so I'm glad I don't have to relocate a great distance (2 hrs away). I was dreaming I'd get to work for Viking Air and build new beavers and otters but biz jets are pretty cool too in their own right.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

MrChips posted:

:eng101:

The Global Express, while it shares a similar fuselage cross-section with the CRJ, is a completely different aircraft underneath. It has a totally new wing and everything else is optimised for the different type of flying it does - the CRJ is optimised for lots of short flights day in and day out (read: it's built like a tank) while the GLEX is optimised for much longer flights and a much shorter lifespan in terms of flying hours.

well, learn something new each day. Training -and my new life- starts on the 11th :)

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
this is my new home:

this is some of the stuff I've been doing:

In the two center holes and the first wing stations

and that's not even half of it. it takes about 4 days in the jig to seal up the wing for the challenger.

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 20, 2013

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
MrYenko: I swear they assigned me to the wing box because of the fact that I'm a slender 135lb dude. Getting in and out is a bit of a contortionist act and you have to do it more then a few times. Also, the fasteners go all the way down the butt line splice so not only do I have to sit in there upright, but hang from my waist with my torso and arms inside from the very same hole. Its a wet wing design, so all the HiLite fasteners need sealant caps and all the seams are fillet sealed as well. lots of time spent hanging out in there.

preoptopus: Helicopter supervisor syndrome is non-existent. QA has more power then the supervisors do. Overall its quite relaxed. You're expected to perform quality work, know what you're doing, what each task requires and to help the dudes beside you. So far my feedback is super positive and I'm more then happy to spend my day around all the hardware.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
more pictures from work:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Wing box jig?

correct!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
you guys are all panazies unless you can fit inside a wing like this:

Cuz you know, Thin guy's get hosed first :smuggo:

more interesting stuff:

Stamp says AVRO if you can't read it. I used it to chop up scrap wing skins. There's 2 on top and 3 on the bottom of a CL300. It's fun...

More work stuff; Global Express wing jigs:

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I was in Air Cadets for 6 years where I took a summer courses related to leadership, teaching, ground schooling, engines, hydraulics and structures. At the same time I was taking aviation classes in high school where I got a co-op with Air Canada doing minion work on CRJ's and dash 8's. A few years later after university I did a short stint at Diamond Aircraft until the recession hit and a year or so later went to college and competed my AME S schooling. I applied for the M course in case this job fell through, but so far work can't get enough of me; the "go to guy" but I'm happy with that. my goal is to learn everything there is to know about the A/C, write the training manual and then present the draft to my supervisors. Maybe I can pull off promoting myself to training officer. Mchanics and workers don't really make for good teachers as they're too loving busy with their own work to baby sit and teach the next person properly to the point of where they won't gently caress up something major and cost the company a $200,000 wing panel. Also, most people in the industry are over 40 or nearing retirement. Teaching a new kid a complicated task means one less reason for the facility to keep them.

we'll see!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

:stare: What the heck is going on there?

b-58 wing flight load testing, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
just saw this and drat...what a thing to witness