Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

MrChips posted:

To experience the ultimate in pistons and propellers, you guys need to take a week off work in September and go to the Reno National Air Races.
"Rare Bear" - modified Grumman F8F Bearcat:

Bad Attitude - modified Hawker Sea Fury:

But the bread and butter of this class has always been the P-51 Mustang:

Ever wondered what an Unlimited air racer sounds like?

I know exactly what it sounds like! Everyone should go at least once in their lifetime, and you MUST spend the extra money to get the pit pass. unfortunately the last time i went to the races was 2005 - we camped at one of the last un-developed parts on the track and the planes were about 500 yards from us in a full bank.

The one thing that upsets me is rare bears new paint job - I liked the white and gold a lot better

my favorite air racer is "precious metal"
http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/articles/PMmods/PMmods.htm

We were lucky enough to see and hear precious metal twin fly

My love of aircraft started early, my grandfather worked for Douglas aircraft from the late 20s-60s. He had great stories to tell about having lunch with Howard Hughes and Charles Lindbergh at various hubs around Los Angeles, from Santa Monica to Burbank. He was involved in many aircraft including the SBD Dauntless divebomber, Thor missile, X-3 and my favorite the C-47/DC-3 and its prop driven variants.

This is a beautiful print I bought of dc-3's in Burbank ca

ive never had the opportunity to take a ride in one, but from what ive heard, its not that hard to find someone willing to take you up. clay lacey owns one and i often see it flying around the San Fernando valley.

Although my grandfather was a Douglas man, I love the Constellation too. Ive been aboard a few of the remaining flying examples, but never actually been up in one.

One of the best experiences in my life was when I got to take a ride in this 42 Ryan PT-22 in the Florida everglades. Sorry for the lovely photos.

More recently I took a day off to visit the wildfires to see the martin mars in action. I didn't take this photo, but i was close enough hear something that not too many people get to experience.

If you guys want to see a beautiful documentary about the history of flight in Los Angeles I suggest finding this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Six_Right

I even learned that Marilyn Monroe worked for "Radioplane", a company that made remote control target drones at the van nuys airport

Apparently this photo was seen by the modeling agency that started her career. Somewhere around here i have a propeller for one of these raidoplanes that was given to me by my grandfather. I also learned of the Glendale airport that was the first municipal airport in Los Angeles, it was closed down in the 50s but the terminal building still stands, sadly its owned by disney its future is somewhat unknown (stupid fucks). It was used in many movies, inducing casablanca. I saw this documentary one night on PBS, the whole night I could not sleep so I waited until it was light out and went out and found it.

its surrounded by industrial buildings and the only thing left of the original tarmac is a parking lot for one of the neighboring buildings. When I arrived a guy that worked in one of the other buildings told me that no one had been there for years aside from repairing the fence and giving it a dull gray paintjob.

Another poster in my collection showing the airport in its former glory, this poster is HUGE.

Also, for those of you in the Los Angeles area - Here is a great restaurant that has a lot of history and a great view of the airport while dining.
http://www.94thvannuys.com/index.html

I could go on all day - I'll post more later

Not to boast, but my girlfriend hinted to me that my mom and her might be buying me a ride on the b17 for my birthday
http://www.b17.org/
http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Its beautiful!

Is something like that affordable?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ApathyGifted posted:

You guys should all watch One Six Right.

And then weep like little girls that aviation just ain't what it used to be.

100% agreed, like i said in my post. I think everyone that has even the slightest bit of interest in aviation should see this.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I guess i took it a bit too far...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Id love to own a dc-3 - but id just settle for a ride..

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
IIRC there are some minor differences in the landing gear too.

check out these beautiful prints i bought this weekend:

connie

northrop

dc3

I believe the last photo was from life - taken at glendale airport - now abandoned.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Im pretty sure that this guy flys out of Van Nuys airport in Los Angeles. I see that airplane flying all the time...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
i want that game, yet i dont have the rig for it anymore... tempting still because i want to know how to fly an a-10..

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I posted this in my thread already, but seriously.

you need to do this before you die.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
its in the "tome of antiquities" thread -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362175

and it is what you think it is...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
thats very strange - i thought "FIFI" was the only flying b29...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

That's the old version. The current plane now spans 20' and is powered by 4 150cc flat twin engines. Performance is decidedly non-scale.

BTW - all photos were taken from the ground - including the initial one. I'm having a print framed, and will be presenting it to Mac when I come up for the next fly-in.

certainly had me fooled - that thing is awesome... what a great shot.

edit: and clever too... you scale operators have this down

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I bet you can still go check it out... even before i flew in the b17 they would let anyone in to see it up close and climb around in it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
anyone know of any operating DC3/C47 in so cal that offers rides?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I saw one at the airport in Long Beach CA, a few months ago, I called the operaters, they fly freight to catalina, they have 3 of them - they said there is no way i can ride on it.

guess i need to show them this...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Minto Took posted:

If they won't let you ride with that, they have no heart.

so then i suppose i have to get my pilots license and certs for twin engine.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

NO - this was the one i flew on a few months ago! im really sad, but im glad to hear that everyone was ok.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

The sad thing is that he landed it just fine, they just couldn't put the fire out in time to save it it seems.

that is absolutely heartbreaking. this makes me so sad. one of the guys that travels with the plane told me that for a lot of these guys its their livelyhood, the $400+ ticket was just enough for them to break even, the gift shop was their only source of income. i feel so bad for these guys. when i told my girlfriend she got teary eyed.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Thank god the internet didn't exist when the Granville brothers were flying their Gee Bees.

After hearing all this talk about the GBS thread, I got over there to look for it, read some current thread titles and decided it would be best to stay in AI.

:allears:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

dubzee posted:

Anyone happen to have a higher res version of this?

Id pay for that as a poster...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Starship sighting:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
according to my co-worker who takes many more smoke breaks than i do, this thing comes in to burbank airport every tuesday.

the sound of this is what got me to look, thank goodness i was able to get the camera out and snap this off before it went behind the buildings.

Im right in the flightpath and most of the time its just southwest 737's but on the rare occation, warbirds, strange transports and even oddities like this land.

if there are only a hand full of these left, according to wiki, none are registered in ca... what the hell?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
My grandfather Managed, built and flew dc-3's from the first to the last prop driven. He was the biggest influence in my life so much so I decided to do this.

Later on, my grandfather worked on the x-3, was a consultant on the thor missile, and his final project was the planning stages for the DC-10.

his influence has been the guiding force for just about everything in my life.

(RIP Liberty Belle)

the saddest thing is that i have never flown in a dc-3. Ive been on a constant lookout for years about dc-3 flights in or around los angeles.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 27, 2011

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Id love that. Do you know about the one that planes of fame already has?

IIRC, it was a c-47 that was turned in to a 3 after the war and put in to service as an airliner.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

The pilot of that bird (I assume that's the one that flies the airshow circuit) told me he's not concerned as long as the puddle on the ground is about the right size.

When I flew on the Liberty Belle (RIP), the pilot said something pretty much along these lines. Quite humorously she "marked her territory" on a lady who was wearing a pure white blouse standing under one of the engines.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
If they were smart, they could have squeezed 2 episodes out of that, one for survivable plane crashes and the other for D.B. Cooper badassness.

We used to squeeze shots like that off for the history channel just because they may have use for it in the future.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Thats rather funny, i was just thinking about how cool it would be to jump out of a b-17... and even funnier still is the fact that the aluminum overcast, the plane you jumped out of was here this weekend...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I brought this documentry up at work last week and basically the entire company (theres about 10 of us) were watching this documentary in the bosses office.

Such a sad story, and the fact that one of the guys died... wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The DC-3 is such a beautiful airplane, in so many ways.